Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Anecdotal but the 4 blister's I've bought so far have all been fine. 1 had a little excess flash that practically fell off when I touched it with the knife, which is far easy to correct than the metal minis. I'm off to buy a box of finecast incubi now so I've probably just shot myself in the foot by whiteknighting them :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Just finished these guys so I thought I'd post them here. Just started painting the next 20 with bows.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

TarDolphinorShark posted:

How did you base that movement tray? I've been trying to come up with a good idea for my VC army and that looks really nice.

Pretty straight forward, I have some sand and a handfull small slate chunks mixed together in a pot. Slather the edge of the base and the goblin bases in watered down PVA, then tip the sand mix over the lot and press in a few pieces of larger slate on some of the bases and on the front of the tray. Leave it about 20 minutes then spray prime everything to fix it in place.

Painting wise it's just a lot of liberal drybrushing from Leather Brown to Sand Yellow, applying a heavier drybrush on the larger chunks of slate.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Another guy for my little goblin army.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-posting an elf as it's christmas

First non-40k model in years.

(base needs finishing but the rest is done)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Not a viking posted:

What the gently caress did I just do? I'm having a kid in 5 months, I don't have time to start a brand new army!

Shadoer posted:

Sure you do! Whenever your kid starts crying, throwing up, or wakes you up in the dead of night and you think to yourself "My god, what have I done?!" pain a few models as stress relief :)

This is the correct answer. And at about 3-6 months when they (mostly) sleep through the night you'll be so used to not sleeping properly it becomes prime painting time.

So after xmas I'm looking at painting up a *small* High Elf list. I really want to use the Sisters of Avelorn models in there (mainly because I already have them), but for the core choices I don't like the old Archer or Spearmen sculpts with their massive hands, so:

Sea Guard or Silver Helms?
What else should I get? (I have the Island of Blood stuff somewhere)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Renfield posted:

The one that was missed out was Infinity - sci-fi skirmish game.

A few of these also have free rules - infinity does, Warmachine/Hoards also went free recently, so you can try them out by proxying before spending anything

Infinity also has their nifty Army builder web app directly on their website where you can create an army list and get a pdf with the rules and stats for all the units, weapons and gear in the list.

For a Fantasy equivalent all the cool kids seem to be using Kings of War which seem to have some really nicely priced box sets too (49.99 GBP for an army box set with 56 orcs/5 units is a steal vs 20.99 for a single unit of 10 GW orcs) as well as from what I understand a 1:1 rules match for existing WFB units. rules.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

ro5s posted:

lol if you're not already posting from the grave

Seems apt considering which thread this post is in.

Also walking stick crew reporting in.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Hey KoW thread,

I just finished painting up some Skeletons and have the Grave Stalkers box in the post (Zombies, Ghouls and Graves). How weird will it look if I mix the sprues up and make a unit of 20 zombies or ghouls?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

moths posted:

Not terribly weird, the kits were created to be compatible. But it could be confusing since ghouls and zombies are different units in KoW.

What you could do is make two different sets of unit filler - one maybe as obvious ghouls eating a horse and the other as zombies emerging from graves. Then it'd be clear what the unit represents, based on which set of filler you're using.

If I read their FAQ correctly (I don't have the rulebooks as it's just a painting exercise at the moment but I like to make stuff game legal) then is 6 or more models for a Troop Unit (10 models) or 15 or more for a regiment (20 models) if I want to use fillers right?

Also have some skellies shamelessly reposted from the minis thread.

richyp posted:

She probably has combat heels on too so it's cool. I finished the rest of the Skeleton Troop unit, group pic is blurry so I've got a the 2 ranks separate too.

10 more skellies to go then I should have some gouls/zombies to do.

I'll probably do the ghouls and zombies rags in the same blue but alter their skin colours from each other in order to make them more easily identifiable from a distance.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Edit: Yeah skin color works too. Ghouls are living, so them having a warmer skin tone works.

Great minds think alike I guess, that's pretty much what I was thinking: Ghouls in a pinky grey and the zombies similar to the Vampire in the first image.

I'm also really liking mantic's sprues with the extra little bits such as the zombie dog/giant rat and from what I've seen online the zombie bases with the torsos coming out of the ground so I can probably do something as filler. I also ordered some movement trays with the zombie/ghoul box so I'm tempted to just glue them directly onto the trays too so that'll help with padding and spacing.

KingFisher posted:

Excuse me sir I play Warhammer Fantasy Battles 10th edition :Kings of War.

Sorry my bad, it's probably the excitement for Warpath 40k that's confused me.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Syrnn posted:

Similarly, the GW Death Thread should probably be moved to ADTRW.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I'm really impressed with their Undead stuff too, they're really nice looking with my only issue being that most of the torsos having the heads and arms pre-attached makes repetition a problem. The skeletons have more possible combinations but the Ghouls and Zombies have very few possible variations.

Same problem with the Dwarves and even though they can be easily mixed with the other Dwarf sprues in the range most of the heads and torsos are the same across the different units.

Luckily there are a lot of other decent miniature manufacturers these days that seem to have sprung up during my last few years absence that can be easily thrown into the mix e.g. Wrath of Kings, Avatars of War, Frostgrave, Godslayer etc... all make some nice 28mm-30mm miniatures that bring a bit of nice variation to armies and usually for a lot less :10bux:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, but then you're working with a material with a very real chance of completely ruining your model if you end up using the wrong varnish on it. The number of times I've seen this brought up in the painting thread makes me extremely hesitant to put any real effort into a Bones model. I'd rather spend more money in exchange for having a better material to work with. (Besides, the Mantic demon looks like he's about the same size as a GW Lord of Change. The GW Bloodthirster's gotta be like twice the size, so that's not really a fair comparison.)

I honestly don't get why people like Mantic models. A few of their undead are ok, but everyone and their mother can do decent undead. Even if you suck at sculpting you can just say, "Oh well they're undead so that's why they look lovely and expressionless and kinda melty." People always bring up their necromancer as an example of a really great mini:

And while they're right, it's not a bad mini, I don't see why I'd rather have it than this dude, who costs £1 less but has £10 more character:

For that matter, why not roll with this awesome demon which you can buy for £25 (£5 less than Mantic) without the accessories:

Ok, sure he doesn't have wings, but who would argue with that dude? He rules!

(Both the non-Mantic figures above are from Otherworld Miniatures if you want to buy some.)

Totally agree on the character models and one off monsters but their plastic line troops are pretty decent and a total bargain compared to anything else I've come across. For 49 of the queens finest pounds I managed to get 20 skeletons, 20 zombies, 20 ghouls, 30 dwarves, 1 cannon, a rulebook and a metal necromancer (a different one than the one you posted and I can't find him on Mantic's site).

While they're not super amazingly detailed and as you say a skeleton, zombie and ghoul are pretty standard fantasy fair they're at least on par with GW's equivalents, the dwarves not so much.

I hate to think how many vital organs it would take to get that much stuff from the Vampire Counts range let alone the "Free Dwarf's/Dwarves". Like you say there are a lot of companies making better looking miniatures but for rank and file plastic blocks I've not seen anything close to the same $ per model at that quality.

GW plastic fantasy Zombies are 17.50 (http://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/warhammer-fantasy/vampire-counts/zombie-regiment) for 20 and look like this:

Mantic's are 22.50 ( http://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/fantasy-miniatures-games/kings-of-war/undead/zombie-swarm-40- ) for 40 and look like this:

Neither are amazing models but I'd take the mantic ones over the GW ones and you get twice the amount for a similar price which I think is why people are raving about them, especially when coming from a history of GW purchases.

The character models are pretty meh and for the same price most companies make better versions. In fact I grabbed the AoW Vampire for that reason.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Don't let the anime aspect of Infinity put you off too much, I'd painted about 3-4 models before I saw the 2d artwork and realised it was supposed to be anime themed (I don't like anime) :downs: It's a legit fast paced good game with no waiting around or pretending to ride imaginary horses. I also possibly may have been drunk or misheard but didn't the Mantic guy interviewed at adepticon hint at a Skirmish level KoW variant super secret project, much in the same vein as Firefight/Warpath.

Not giving GW money has been great for me as so far I've picked up the Infinity Starter set, X-Wing Starter, Imperial Assault and the KoW 2 player set for less than I paid on my last GW army. :dance:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Thought so, being drunk at the time was still very likely though.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

lilljonas posted:

So I'll be building some dark age terrain and paint up some Vikings first, just in case. ;) i'll post a thread if we end up getting this off the ground, given everything involved.

Thundercloud posted:

I was thinking about doing a sci fi game a little like Frostgrave. Might be an idea to do a goon skirmish game thread.

I'm liking the direction this thread is going and would love to get involved in a goon made game system. With all the amazing models now being put out by various companies warband/skirmish games are great from a modelling and painting perspective too.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Thundercloud posted:

Skirmish game for about a dozen models per side.
Wandering monster mechanics and themed monster lists.
Rules about 12 pages. Add design rules for both forces, weapons and creatures. Add example lists.
Typical board size 2 by 2.
Analagous to kill team.
Dual action/reaction mechanics. (so take 2 actions per turn per model, characters can use heroic actions which active all models around them as well)
Opposed dice rolls?
Heavily customisable forces.
Lighter vehicles and walkers.
Use any models, any terrain.
Dense terrain required. No unobstructed line of site longer than 12”.

Seems a lot like Infinity's ARO system, with 1 long order - 2 short orders and the opposed (head to head) dice rolls. It's a really nice system as it means both players are always playing. Are you thinking of a system like Infinity's pool of orders/actions that can be piled on one model or actually just 2 actions per model that can't be reallocated?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

BattleMaster posted:

I'd actually like to see how Infinity's ARO system would work without the order pool. I like Infinity a lot but I'd like to see people try variations on things it does.

Oh definitely. I could see something a bit more restrictive along the lines of pairs rather than groups that get to share their actions, or 2 part actions that require 2 models such as one 2 part action being marking a target and shooting where one unit marks as the first part of the action and the 2nd model fires using the 2nd part, but still leaving one 2 part action that can be used by either of the models. e.g. combinations for Duo Team:

Sniper team (Shooter and targeter):
- Both models can move and shoot, or move and move
- One model marks a target boosting accuracy for the second model who can fire. (Could be done twice in a turn)
- Alternatively both models can burst fire pistols, costs both parts of action, but accuracy is lower as the target isn't marked.

Human/Droid Shield unit.
- Human shield, increases save/damage reduction for partner. Meat shield can fire but not move, maybe force the opponent to shoot meat shield etc...

Just farting out ideas.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

fnordcircle posted:

important question: am I supposed to pronounce urruks as UR-UX or URX or Ur-Rooks or Ur-rewks

I think it's pronounced "Ur-byttr-byyng-orks-elswyr" or "Bad Moons"

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Tekopo posted:

There's a sport/clothes shop in the town where I live that every so often has 'Closing soon! ALL STOCK MUST GO!' signs plastered all over its windows. It has been 'almost closing' for about 2 years now, as far as I can see.

The constantly re-whitewashed windows add to the effect too.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

My money's on the non-Ironjaws just being repacks of the old minis. Because why bother trying to actually forge something new in the game that you explicitly designed as a total reimagining of the old?

I hear they didn't even forge their own narrative either :(

With what looks the addition of totally not terminator armour those Orcs/Orks/Urorks look symmetrical and mirrored like the Dwarves and Sigmarines too.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So I might have a chance to buy some Warhammer figurines to use for Kings of War :downs:

Because I was thinking of getting some dwarfs...I love me some short armored dudes with anger problems and big cannons

Avenging Dentist posted:

Please order from the Good Universe's GW instead http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/dwarfs.html

(Yeah, their models are a bit poo poo. But at least you're not giving money to Bad GW.)
They're ok from a distance but they do lack variety which is where these guys come in:

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=53&armycode=Dwarfs

About £25/$35 for a box of 20 detailed plastic dwarves (vs 10 in the GW boxes I think) and they should blend in nicely with the Mantic ones too.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Drone posted:

Those look pretty good, shame their "light elf" line is so sparse, otherwise I could use them to spruce up my Mantic elves.

Oh and their dark elves have bare tits. Sometimes this hobby is still terrible.

Seems to be a common problem with Dark Elves, raging heroes have some really nice sculpts but their "Vestals" (Witch Elves) are basically pairs of tits on legs holding daggers. Best bet with elves is to go through Reapers catalogue and hope for the best. Alternatively as I mentioned in the DIY wargame thread there's a nice site I like to use called miniset that lets you search for models across pretty much every manufacturer:

http://miniset.net/set-finder/elf?page=9

PSA: first 8 pages are GW so I've linked it from 9 onwards.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Syrnn posted:

I was loathe to ever pick up Witch Elves (I was a Black Ark Corsair kind of guy) because the metal models were fairly atrocious and I knew I wouldn't have the skill to paint them up decently. When I heard GW was doing a plastic kit a few years ago, I was very excited since their Dark Eldar stuff was so handsome, but in the end they were really almost a step backwards. Now that everything has crashed into the ground and the metal witch elves are even harder to find, I looked at Avatar of War's "Vestals of Nemesis" since they came up here. It seem they're gone off of the AoW website, but that Raging Heroes' metal set of similarly named "Blood Vestals" might be a bit nicer as sculpts anyway. I agree with Saint Drogo that these seem to do a pretty good job, and I at least have dealt with RH before when my wife picked up Skaarlys for a painting project, so the quality is attested to. I just want to know why not!Witch Elves can't have the white lady dreads/braids a la 6th Ed. models or Warhammer Online.

At present I am considering Hildegaard for a Halfling Master Engineer for KoW, but without the full box I'll be missing out on Walter there :ohdear::

I grabbed the white metal variant of this one because i'm creepy to paint up. I'd say the level of detail and casting quality is pretty much on the same level as CB's Infinity models in other words really good. There were also no mold lines which was a nice surprise but I could've just been lucky.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ashcans posted:

I dunno, they do sculpt some pretty solid riflemen. The system works!

I wonder then if the newer GW sculptors spend most of the day standing in a T-pose. :downsrim:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Jimmy4400nav posted:

drat those look nice! I might have to get some along with some of the Manic Games ones (their artillery and fully armored dwarfs don't look too bad).

Just gotta wait for that bonus from work and I can start forging some narrative :saddowns:

The Mantic Dwarves are fine but they're basically 2 per sprue with one torso having a molded head and the other having a choice of two. I got the 2 player battle set for the undead models (£49 for two armies and rulebook is still a steal, hell even for the undead alone it was worth it) so most of the Dwarf units are there: Ironclad, Ironwatch, Shieldbreakers and the Ironbelcher cannon. Even across the units there's very little variation with the exception of a command sprue that adds a few more options so I'd definitely throw in models from a different range or 2. If I get round to using the Dwarves it's definitely what I'll do.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Syrnn posted:

Now we're getting into hex and chit territory. Beware, Chill la Chill, there be dragons.

I think you mean ur-drakes.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

NTRabbit posted:

Reliable store down here in Australia has the Kings of War 2 player starters, and the starter and mega army sets, all for 30% off right now, in case anyone is interested

http://www.thegamingguy.com.au/online-shop/#!/Kings-of-War/c/11364334/offset=0&sort=normal

I guess you could also use them for 9th Age too, if you really wanted?

https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=63919&c=1302

For UK goons Darksphere currently has the 2 player starter set with the 40 Dwarves, 50 Undead and the rulebook/dice etc... for £39. Or you could:

KingFisher posted:

Spo uh serious can any of you UK goons go give FW money for me?

Get that one Abyssal Dwarf for just £30.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Radish posted:

This is probably serious rose colored glasses going on but did orcs always look that uniform. Like here's the really old army book cover:

They all have individuality in their armor and weapons. Even their boars are all different. In all the new GW art everyone looks the same, like they are literally mass produced models. It's really subtly off-putting to me but it may have always been like that and I'm only now noticing it.

No they used to look good and have a nice amount of asymmetry. I'm guessing the shoulder pads and armor are now like that because its to design one half of a model easy to mirror in whatever 3D package they're using.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
It was the first individual Army Book the Orcs got. 1st-3rd edition WHFB had all the rules in the main rulebook, I was about 16 at the time 4th came out so I'd stopped playing when they split the rulebook off into separate Army books. Next venture into gaming was the boxset with the Empire and Orcs in it (6th I think?)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

thespaceinvader posted:

Exactly one thing in that image really stands out, and it's a green ork head.

Only it's not, it's a nurgle head on Archaon's stupid horse.

It took me at least ten seconds to work out what was going on in that picture, it's just so low-contrast and boring.

That was the first thing my eyes were drawn to, I'm glad you said what I was because I had no idea what it was supposed to be. Also the it's hard to tell whether the Orcs are marching with or against the Chaos guys as they're all angled as if they're approaching the viewer diagonally rather than directly at each other

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ashcans posted:

Except Gardus, I guess, that sounds like it could be an actual name someone has. Why don't any of these appear on the site though? Are they just named versions of the generic models? That's kind of weak.

He's the one in the gold and blue right?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

Again, even a Space Marine tactical squad has more individual variety, and they have the added bonuses of 1) coming with unhelmeted heads to provide a bit of individuality, and 2) even when they're wearing helmets, the helmets suggest some emotion (an angry, scowling face). A Stormcast helmet looks like :geno:.

There's some variety, the guy on the bottom right has scrolls on his axe

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nurgle head my rear end - that's Slimer.

(Actually, it looks like someone copied/pasted a squig head on there and colored it green.)

Real stuff: Is this pretty much a death thread now? I was going through my TK stuff and need ideas for a solid 2000 point list.

The death thread is the anime thread isn't it. I thought this was the new KoW thread, the 40k thread is the new death thread and 30k thread is the current space marine thread soon to be new 40k thread?

(For TK you mean for WHFB/9th Age or KoW's Empire of Dust?)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Mango Polo posted:

You're just not very good at picking up on subtle human emotions.

gently caress it, I'll make a chart for you.

Do you get it now?

That's like a reverse of when I was teaching a class of autistic kids to try and read different facial expressions except every answer was "Happy" instead of every face being meh. Next time I lesson plan one of those lessons I might use the sigmarine faces to see what their answers are.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

lilljonas posted:

At least it's the best stuff coing out of AoS.

That's pretty much what its come to now. It's the OrcsOrruks vs static Sigmarines, Gorebloodaxeslaughter Khorne Murderers and symmetrical naked Dwarves.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

moths posted:

God I can't wait to see what bullshit they do to the Skaven and Dark Elves...

For the Skaven I'm going to go and assume badly posed rats in power armour. Painted Yellow.
For the Dark elves, probably power armoured badly posed elves. Painted Bad Moon yellow.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I like the shaman at least, not $33 dollars like but he has a nice sense of action to his pose that's been missing from all the other sculpts.
It's the turned in knees or the wrist that makes it stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
The rounded armour just makes them look like they're inflated.

Orrrukkk posted:

Waaaagghhhh! *Pop*
____________________________________\

EDIT: Needs more topknot.

• Locked thread