Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Hi all, I work on Quake Live and hang out in #SAGameDev and people there told me to post here. Tell me how I am worse than Hitler for adding loadouts and the HMG. Also, while not strictly FPS related, I found this, backed it up, and was the first person in 25 years to experience this:

thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I would love to but considering it is *not* the Dangerous Dave version, but the actual Mario sprites and first level that they showed to Nintendo, sadly I think getting that past our lawyers might be tough.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Bathtub Cheese posted:

What committee of faceless corporate lackeys decreed that Quake Live had to be ruined? Or is the dev team just that stupid?

nope! it was entirely driven by us, the team of 4 (2 devs, qa/support, producer) i am the one who coded it and came up with the ultimate solution for the HMG.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'd argue that the Super Mario Bros. 3 tech demo could fall within fair use since it's not a complete recreation of the game but rather a reproduction for technical and archival purposes.

Quake Live's changes aren't bad at all (though honestly I don't see why the HMG has to exist, you have three perfectly fine weapons from Team Arena to use) but I'm an idiot poo poo baby so whatever.

yea the ultimate idea of the HMG was to be a jack of all trades master of none. we could've probably reskinned/reused the chaingun but it felt a little weird. probably would've been an easier pill to swallow though. the rocket launcher is better than the HMG at the RL's strengths, but the HMG will do more to an RL long range. similar thinking with the LG/RG's strengths/weaknesses. ultimately i wish we were able to do more with the weapons, so instead of starting with the top tier weapons, you start off with something more useful than the Q3 MG, and less useful than the top tier weapons, but the implications on balance would've been way more there.

i think the changes make the new TDM and DOM the most fun modes in QL, although I tend to agree the health/armor regen in dom is not a perfect solution. we could probably have enabled only health and armor in DOM but it still would conflict with dom points.

Linguica posted:

At least record a video of it, you monster

do you still hang out on synirc at all? wouldn't feel comfortable posting videos or screenshots but probably can talk about it more specifically. i'm sponge- on it.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Cat Mattress posted:

Why make the HMG instead of buffing the old MG?

duel, mostly. i think the mg still has a place as a long-range finisher, but it is probably weaker than it should be to really excel at that role. we didn't want to change the weapons in between modes, and giving the buffed mg a different look and sound would re-inforce that it has a different function. in retrospect the name and look probably had too much ~military shooter~ stigma even though it is literally just a buffed mg with increased spread.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Kins posted:

Here's some new old making-of pics that Romero uploaded today...

More tomorrow, apparently.

While not Doom 1, here's what I believe to be a beta Doom 2 double-barrel.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I had stumbled on most of that stuff in the past couple of weeks, actually, ironically enough. There's a bunch more that he might not have; the shotgun earlier in the thread for example. Really cool to see some of it get out, as I love seeing at all the in-development stuff from games those days.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Alain Post posted:

Don't the CoD games still have legacy code dating back all the way to Quake 1?

CoD still uses some of the same concepts and such in networking and some of the lower level systems, but there is almost certainly Q3 code, which could have very easily been in Q1. Nothing significant, though.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, I meant they changed the enemy layouts themselves. It's a lot harder and denser, and they also added real time lights to a few things, so it's more like darkplaces on hard than normal quake on medium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N14TinDCrS0

My favorite part of Saturn Quake was the inclusion of Dank and Scud as an easter egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4lCaLsoYxg

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

looks like the 'complete' version of this game called wickland was released not too long ago. i wonder how it is.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321260/

seems to really be going hard on the fast-paced arena fps angle but instead of weapons you turn into different creatures that do different things.

Wickland is a fun little shooter, 1v1 only, with just FFA warmups. I like how all the players are in a lobby and can challenge like a fighting game, if only there were people to play. Servers are completely empty, despite some weirdness with SteamCharts saying hundreds of people. It's the most unique game released so far out of the whole indie arena shooter genre for sure.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

laserghost posted:

One of the two folks teases upcoming changes to Quake Live, and it doesn't look pretty: http://www.esreality.com/post/2725400/syncerror-teases-upcoming-features/

Other folk here, what do you not like about this? The goal is to replace the stuff that Steam does better than us (which frankly nowadays is pretty much everything) and add a few features that we've always wanted but couldn't afford the lengthy dev cycle for.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Posts about the DLC are right. You can release M rated DLC for a T rated game, and have the game remain T, but including it in the base game would result in it being re-rated up to M.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i mean i dont see what the problem is i like quake live and i'd like it to be on steam and i'd like there to be gibs in.

also for people asking about the dlc thing its like, a game can be rated T, but dlc for that game can be M rated because its a seperate product, so that M rated content can be in the game but the base game can retain its T rating.

We are on Steam at the moment, but you're still required to make a Quake Live account the first time you launch the game, and we obviously only have minimal support for Steam features. It's not a great experience, but it's way better than my awful launcher. The Steam-exclusive transition should hopefully be way nicer to get into and play quickly. Don't think we can do the CS:GO style ladders through Steam, but we can at least do everything else they provide.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Commander Keenan posted:

Am I gonna have to pay money to get my beautiful gibs back, or will it be free?

Probably won't be free, but it will definitely be very cheap. Still too far out to know for sure yet.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I can't believe they're still beating the now-literally? dead horse of gary coleman in there, too.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Keiya posted:

Blame Valve. Source uses native executable code for its gamecode (like Quake 2 and Half-Life) rather than a bytecode VM (like Quake, Quake 3, every version of Unreal Engine, etc)

Edit: It took a bit to verify it but I found another companion for Source: Lithtech. So... congrats?

Are you trying to imply that non-native gamecode is the majority? More shipping UE games than not are mostly C++, not UnrealScript. UnrealScript is too slow, especially on consoles. UE4 makes it even easier and gives you C++ and Blueprint, with the ability to expose new Blueprint components through C++. You are completely free to use whatever platform-specific code you want in all of those cases to break support for whatever platform you want. Quake 3 let you use C/C++, or QVM, too. QVM's performance, and inability to link to other native libraries often resulted in dll mods being released.

spongeh fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 7, 2015

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
the strogg are a really bad plot.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
The simplicity and low-level nature of programming early consoles is what causes that, not being cheap. Graphics, tilemaps are all just memory pointers. No reason to waste CPU cycles on bounds checking just so you can crash, when the user is just gonna reset the game when it breaks the gently caress out anyway.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Keiya posted:

Man how come S3DNA gets steam achievements, but not Doom? Even if they'd probably have to be dumb, like... RIP AND TEAR: Get a beserker pack. Shoot It Until It Dies: Kill a Cyberdemon. Things like that.

I've got a beta branch of Doom 2 on Steam that uses Chocolate Doom from last year, but I'm hoping to get some time to update some of the DOSBox based stuff in the next year. Integrating achievements and such are going to be mutually exclusive from using a GPL'd port, though, since you can't release the Steamworks SDK under the GPL. Given the amount of games there are to update, adding non-trivial achievements will be a lot of work for each and every game, anyway. Seems like time could be better spent elsewhere.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Commander Keenan posted:

Any word on id/Zenimax/Bethesda stuff on GOG? I'm sure there's a conversation going between the biz guys of the companies, but if not, I can help make it happen.

No clue. I believe the Steam versions are already DRM free and don't require the Steam client to be running, but I don't know for sure. At least the D2 stuff I did seems to run indepndently.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Linguica posted:

wut...

Is there anything we can do to light a fire under someone's rear end to finally get the Steam Doom games off the horrible garbage DOSBox wrappers?

It's something I've been pushing for a while: Chocolate/Crispy Doom, QuakeSpasm, whatever the wolf equivalent of Chocolate Doom is. Would like to make them available on OSX/Linux too. Quake Live is my main responsibility though, and unfortunately it's going to involve more approval than me just pushing out an update. I'd be the one doing the work for it though, in all likelyhood.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Why use Chocolate Doom and not Zandronum or GZDoom, out of curiosity? Are the latter just updated too often?

NuclearPotato posted:

Chocolate Doom is far more faithful to the original Doom exe than Zandronum or GZDoom.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Johnny Law posted:

IMO that's overly pedantic. WinQuake (and GLQuake for that matter) was released quite quickly, back when id was actively developing Quake. But by the time OS X came out, Quake 1 was deep in their back catalog. Also WinQuake/GLQuake is the product of their own development, while none of the current OS X ports are.

id/Zenimax could attack the OS X and Linux Quake situation on Steam these days if they prioritized it, sure. I think it would be cool if they would. But it wouldn't be free/trivial. I guess I could enumerate all of the licensing, support, compatibility, etc. checkboxes I think they'd need to tick off, but eh. I'm too lazy. :-) (And it would just be speculation anyway.) Calling it pure laziness on id's part, on the other hand, is probably a little wide of the mark.

It's mostly QA related and getting everything approved. I'm looking into doing the same with Quake as I would like to do with Doom. Offer QuakeSpasm as default, probably have other options for Win/Dos Quake. Quake is a bit messier than just using Chocolate/Crispy Doom due to the existence of QuakeWorld, though.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Bread Pudding posted:

So it's not coop compatible then?

EDIT : Awesome, I didn't know there were so many Arena FPSes going on right now! :shobon: I should give them a try and get horribly murdered for a few hours. Brings back memories.

Probably want to check https://www.steamcharts.com where applicable. It's really tough finding matches on some of those games especially in North America.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Keiya posted:

Using a source port would either A. require them to develop and test the hell out of one in house or B. get license to an existing one and test the hell out of it anyway. That's expensive.

As long as the source is released with it there are no issues using a GPL port. DOSBox is GPL already. It does mean no Steamworks stuff, though.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Linguica posted:

For what it's worth, Strife: Veteran Edition is based on GPL code (Chocolate Doom, actually), and it integrated Steamworks. That doesn't mean it was strictly legal, but it's precedent.

I think you can create a service that talks to an external module that would deal with the Steam stuff. It's a lot of work to get around it, and it's legally questionable. I spent some time looking at the GPL FAQ just now and didn't really come away with a clear answer.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
let's be reasonable here if we wanna talk individual textures

THE KING OF TEXTURES

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

closeted republican posted:

Quake 1 has awesome sounds.

One of the things I've found in the dev archives for Quake 1, and that I wish I could release, is roughly 11 straight minutes of Trent making Quake Guy jumping and pain noises. Every few minutes you'll hear a noise that was actually used and it sticks out like a sore thumb, it's kind of weird.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Alain Post posted:

Who actually gives a poo poo about Id. They consist of Tim Willits and some hacks right out of university.

i'm at least 5 years out of university, tyvm

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

closeted republican posted:

The new 3DR and iD are two different things. 3DR is much smaller, which gives them wiggle room to do more experimental things like make new 2.5 FPSD games. iD is just a branch of a very large and public corporation, which has shareholders putting pressure on them to make the most money possible. A new and modern Doom game has far larger sales potential than a new Doom engine game meant to appeal to grognards.

Zenimax isn't public.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Shadow Hog posted:

Incidentally, today is the 19th anniversary of Quake. :dance:

Just the shareware version for anyone playing along at home. The registered version's release date is the day before QuakeCon this year, actually, July 22nd.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Kins posted:

The "Carmack's Reverse" technique was replaced in the source code release and BFG Edition with a less optimized means of doing much the same thing. The lack of shadows casting from your flashlight was apparently a deliberate change because Carmack thought it looked ugly. I think they added an option to turn it back on in a patch?

I don't think it was Carmack, but that's otherwise basically correct: flashlight casting shadows were removed since it created some very ugly shadows, and were re-added later on I think even in the UI as an option, but definitely a console setting. All the other lighting is the same, or improved, over D3 (lights were added in a lot of places since the tech + computers/consoles could actually handle it without dying)

As I understood it, the always on flashlight wasn't in D3 because of performance reasons. People even complained about the duct tape mod slowing things down in high action sequences back then.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Colon Semicolon posted:

y'know I can't find any real reason to wanna mess with BFG edition after I figured out that it's an unmoddable nightmare. I don't suppose anybody's got some good recommendations for making Doom 3 more interesting? I have sikkmod and the various texture additions already (parallax is so cool holy poo poo), but what else can I shove on top of this?

Doom 3 BFG is entirely open source, what's an unmoddable nightmare about it? It is completely moddable. https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Elliotw2 posted:

Probably because the same designers are the ones who did Quake Live.

Nope. Different team.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

arcsig posted:

Yeah, and it's still an arena shooter. It's just an arena shooter with loadouts now. I highly doubt people who don't like arena shooters are going to see loadouts and suddenly become invested in the game.

I don't know. You can probably ignore my whining. I'm just a really big fan of the strategic mindgames in classic multiplayer shooters, and loadouts are an incredibly efficient way of killing a lot of that. Imagine playing Quake 3 except everyone spawns with a Rocket Launcher. (Actually, is that pretty much what Quake Live is now?)

Over half of the players in QL are usually in Clan Arena servers, which spawn you with all weapons anyway.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

arcsig posted:

Rage had it. I'm pretty sure old id actually had an unwritten rule where every game they made would have it. Quake 4 had it, Doom 3 had it, Rage had it. I guess the fact that Doom 4 doesn't have it is just another reminder that new id is not old id.

Wasn't an unwritten rule. It was always a side effect of the way player movement was implemented. Quake 4 didn't have it in single player, multiplayer was intended to be similar to Q3.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

khwarezm posted:

I'm seriously baffled that the Steam versions of the first two Quake games and their expansions have none of the music included, how hard can it be? I had to download them from elsewhere.

There's licensing issues with this. I'd like to get the ports replaced with something like QuakeSpasm sometime in the future, but I can't really say anything about music.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

khwarezm posted:

I thought that might have been the case, still, it takes so much away from the ambiance of the games. Quake is nothing without Trent Reznor's full sound design, the music is so good for creating that sense of unease, like something's really wrong about the places you're fighting in. I did notice that without the soundtrack there's sort of an overlay of quiet whispering in the background constantly though.

Heh, I actually bought Quake 1 through that encrypted id Stuff digital storefront they had, so I hadn't actually heard the Quake 1 soundtrack until some point after when MP3s became commonplace many years later.

arcsig posted:

Was it licensing issues? I always just assumed it was the issue Elliotw2 mentioned.

There's nothing inherently wrong with licensing on source ports. As long as you ship the source, as we do with DOSBox, it can probably be used fine. Chocolate Doom and QuakeSpasm are great ports that keep the game relatively stock without all the crazy stuff added in GZDoom and such.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Lork posted:

I think they're talking about the music, not the source ports.

Yea, but fighting over source port rights was mentioned too.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I don't remember seeing this here, but it was originally posted on ESR on July 31st. QuakeLive is going to let private servers go back up in a future update.

We're basically handing out beta keys for the client and (Linux only) dedicated server to whoever wants them. I'm sponge on QuakeNet and sponge- on SynIRC if anyone is interested, since I don't have PMs here.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Geight posted:

Will GOG be a valid solution for Linux users that want to pay for doom2.wad again and not be blocked from downloading it because they're not running windows?

You can download the game data files on Linux using steamcmd:

./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login (user) (pass) +app_update 2300 +quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType works in the Steam client console, but it's likely to make a mess of things (it will probably invalidate all the games you have installed) Grab steamcmd for Mac, as suggested. Should be able to do it there.