Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

catlord posted:

I gave Daikatana a real go, but I had to give it up when I hit a spot where there are enemies shooting at you the moment you load into the zone, and I didn't have like, any health so I would immediately get shredded, and since it happened on an area load, it would automatically load the autosave which meant I would die instantly upon loading in. So I went to my manual save which was a bit further back, only to find it had gotten corrupted and I was so close to the end of episode 1 that I just couldn't bring myself to start again.

episode 1 is really just irredeemably bad. a cacophonous irradiated-puke-green splash-damage-fuckfest. i genuinely believe that if it was cut entirely or replaced with a cutscene and the game just started in Greece that Daikatana would be MUCH more fondly remembered today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got Supplice yesterday, it runs like absolute poo poo on steam deck :(

i haven't tried cause i don't own Supplice yet, but i'd be pretty shocked if you couldn't just run it with the native Linux version of gzdoom instead for a free performance boost.

The gzdoom flatpak that you can find in KDE discover seems to have an issue with detecting the Deck as a controller, but the one you can get from the github release page seems to work fine!

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

cuc posted:

... (such as transforming the solar system to the player position as origin all the time) ...

this is apparently pretty common in gamedev for what it's worth. floating point numbers are always approximations, and that approximation gets worse and worse the farther away from zero you get, which starts to become relevant when you're dealing with large enough scales. i've never played minecraft but apparently their community has observed these behaviours extensively: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Java_Edition_distance_effects

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
I also just finished playing through Halo CE, i'd really forgotten how rough it is after finishing 343 Guilty Spark, the Flood are so terribly dull to fight that I wound using running past as many encounters as possible in the last few levels. Watching the Covenant and the Flood duke it out is a novelty but it doesn't make up for how boring and repetitive the last few missions are. The ending Warthog sequence was my only memory of anything post-Library for a good reasons, i guess. The first 50-60% of the campaign is still top-shelf though (except the Assault Rifle, it's always sucked)

Not to mention the anniversary graphics look terribly out of place, I felt like they were way too visually busy. In Halo 2 (which i just started) the remade assets seem to mesh much better with the old designs, but I could really do without the pre-rendered cutscenes.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Shame that is lost into EA's chamber because a slightly remastered version would own. FoV, widescreen and UI fixes out of the box and I'd get it again.

This Undying Renewal mod seems promising but i haven't tried it yet

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Mordja posted:

Yeeeaaaaah, so I finished the demo and El Paso really seems like a game at odds with its design. I played through that second level without ever shootdodging or even really using the slo-mo because nothing in it actually needs/benefits from the mechanic, so what you're left with is a pretty standard, indie third-person shooter with a whole lot of style. That's definitely the game's strongest point, the monster mash supernatural and the gritty, Paynelike VO (kudos to the dev, I think that's him doing it) although I will admit I'm not entirely sure how seriously I'm supposed to take all of its goofiness.

I liked the demo alright gameplay wise but felt the same way. I also couldn't stand the weird whiteboy hip-hop track that played in the final level of the demo, it gave me the bad kind of cringe.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Has anyone heard anything about age of hell? Gzdoom game, heard about it while looking up stuff about Beyond sunset in the civvie roundup video. Looks cool, demo seems to be somewhere but not on steam, unless I'm looking in the wrong place

i played some of the demo last year before deciding it wasn't for me. it's slaughtermap: the game. It also ran like a complete pig on a 5600x + 2080

e: my post about it from 2022

Overall: NOT FOR ME

GZDoom based project but leans heavily into the slaughtermap territory (first map has upwards of 800+ monsters, possibly more, I decided I'd had enough after that point anyway. The art and the music are quite impressive but the weapons don't feel great, and it runs like an absolute dog, stuttering and dropping frames on a 5600X+2080. (I figured maybe this was a WINE thing, but it seems like i'm not the only one.) Surprising, because other huge GZDoom projects like Supplice and Selaco both ran excellently for me (which both have excellent demos that you should play immediately if you haven't)

Voodoo Cafe fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 25, 2023

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

The Build engine is, famously, a colossal shitshow; I assume eduke32 has improved matters but I don't know how much.

it's still pretty gnarly in there

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

quiggy posted:

How do the STALKER games play on Deck? I have them sitting in my library but never got into them.

e: I guess what I'm really asking is, is a controller ok or should I stick to m+kb?

It runs flawlessly with Proton on Linux, but i've not tried it on the deck yet. Controller/deck might be more difficult, but looks like some people have been successful judging from the comments on ProtonDB

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Mordja posted:

Does Malice hold up? I googled it after this post, found a download and got it working with Quakespasm but is it good?

I played it in 2020 and had a pretty good time! The voice acting and cutscenes are ultra hammy but it's impressively ambitious for the time

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its weird that instead of just focusing on the black labyrinth they did the stupid VR poo poo that like 3 people wanted

makes more sense when you consider their mantra

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Serephina posted:

I'm not really familiar with the name, so Starseige = Tribes, but what was it before that? Also corridor extraction shooter, yikes.

pre-tribes earthsiege/starsiege were a series of mech combat games a la heavy gear or mechwarrior

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
https://twitter.com/junctioneight/status/1695484464636252480

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

the voice acting + original rap tracks were fucken weapons grade plutonium cringe.

hard agree. any enjoyment i had of the demo shriveled away like a snail touching salt the moment that human sundae track started playing

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

site posted:

I would like to see nightdive do a system shock type remake of iw because I surprisingly enjoyed the game itself when I played it a couple years ago, but I swear even with the unofficial patches the load screens from going between areas accounted for half my total irl play time

They're not that bad normally, at least when i played it during the pandemic. The enhanced textures included by default with the visible upgrade mod makes the load times like 5x longer though, best to turn them off

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Timing and concept, really.

nah it's because the demo was bad actually

mind the walrus posted:

1999-2003 shooters were technologically experimental, infamously overambitious, and largely sucked poo poo through a straw.

a substantial number of the shooters this thread has been talking about for the past several years are from that era?

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

It's out. edit: conversation is about Lunacid.

it rules. I bought it just a couple
of hours before it came out of early access and wound up playing it for almost 4 hours on the steam deck last night

Between Lunacid & the System Shock remake it's been a surprisingly good year for first person dungeon crawlers

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

NightDive Half-Life remaster confirmed

don't you play with my emotions like that :(

it would kick so much rear end

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

You'd think he'd know that we'd be willing to give an Unreal single player game a shot twenty years after Unreal II was... itself. Or at the very least we'd eagerly devour a remastered Unreal, or that he could probably sign off on a source code release for it now that we're so many years out from the last commercial release of a Unreal 1.x engine game.

The OldUnreal devs that have released updated/ported versions of Unreal and UT99 do have source code access, but under some kind of draconian closed-source NDA that prevents them from doing anything particularly interesting with it :( At least they run on modern machines and higher resolutions

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
Are the Crysis games worth playing? the remastered trilogy is on sale for 75% off

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
You're not the only one. I only played the demo, but after slogging through the first few areas i got hit by the soundtrack then immediately uninstalled and un-wishlisted the game

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
Wolf 09 rules, after years of hearing how "bad" it was i plowed through it in a weekend and had an amazing time. The bosses are pretty meh, though. it also has one of the most satisfying bolt action rifles in any game i've ever played. I also played The Old Blood last year and loved it, so i guess i'm just a sucker for sci-fi Nazi-hunting schlock.

Quake 4 is harder to defend. The vehicle sections are awful and every time i play it i think i've accidentally disabled always run in the levels before the stroggification. but the combat and weapons are all better than doom 3. plus, Peter Stormare.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

When playing Quake for the first time is it normal to feel intense hatred towards ogres. Thinking this might be one of the most annoying loving enemies I've come across recently? Though to be fair I'm not really feeling the bestiary here at all, everything feels way way too tanky (and I'm only playing on Normal difficulty). It's fun enough but I don't think I'll be doing much more than just the base campaign if this is the typical Quake experience.

There's a certain kind of zen you get to when strafing through their grenades. Once you reach this state you will be truly enlightened.

Also: they always drop 2 grenades/rockets, so they're very useful to 'trade' nails or shotgun shells for more valuable ammunition

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Serephina posted:

The demo runs like a slideshow due to modern Unreal Engine not liking how proton/WINE works on my system. It's upsetting, as if I tank the settings enough (and reboot when the fps goes single-digit) I can experience Medical in a stamp-sized window, and it's so loving good that it's killing me arggh

I'm surprised to hear that honestly, i played 5-6 hours of it on Steam Deck and was staggered by how well it ran.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Kaiser has allergy to build engine so if this ever happens it's gonna be hilarious between him and Civvie

anyone who has ever so much as glanced at the source code to the build engine spontaneously develops the same allergy actually

e: to quote Fabien Sanglard

quote:

Opening those files reveals something hostile to the eyes and the mind.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

So... how would you use the chance to improve Daikatana, beyond the graphics?

Better ai pathfinding, of course.
But what else?

- Remove save crystals
- Fix audio distance falloff
- Remove explosives colliding with corpses
- Reduce player damage taken from episode 1 final weapon
- Recast Mikiko
- Improve animations on the Daikatana itself

at the bare minimum

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
at least they found an actual black guy to voice Jeff-erfly, unlike Mikiko's VO which is absolutely a white lady in a walmart geisha outfit holding her eyes back with her fingers while she reads her lines

at least it's not quite as offensive the Shofixti from Star Control 2 https://youtu.be/m_e-U6kH1ks?si=V_JMDyY4he2bznO3

game developers in the 90s really got away with a lot

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I tried to do KISS psycho circus but it was so loving gloomy i just felt depressed the whole time. it wasnt like a scary twisted circus, it was like a fuckin closed circus, which is more melancholy than spooky.

i've tried to play through it twice on my ongoing quest to play all the weird FPSes i tried the demos for from PC magazine demo discs back as a kid and there's something just so uniquely and singularly fatiguing about it, honestly. The Gauntlet-ish monster generators make it so much of a slog that i've never made it past the 5th or 6th level

The only other game that i've been completely unable to pick back up is the atrocious Klingon Honor Guard. Just an absolute ugly slog

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
I played through 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach last year on the Steam Deck and had a good time with all of them

Halo

I had played this one before, both on the original Xbox and the crappy old PC port, but back in 2001 and 2003 respectively. It's aged fairly well, and the first ~60% of the campaign is 10/10 until you hit the library, then the game just never recovers. Those first few levels are absolute top shelf though. I don't want to spoil what happens, but essentially the levels are all rehashes/backward versions of previous ones with a bit of a twist. It's kind of neat but it gets old fast when you realize you *just* played this level. The assault rifle stinks. Thankfully in the latter half you also get a very satisfying shotgun, though. The Anniversary updated graphics really did not fit the aesthetic at all and look like a completely different game, i would strongly recommend not using them. Vegetation obscures enemies for you, but doesn't affect their line of sight, so using the new graphics can also get you killed!

Halo 2

I'd also played this one before, from the PC port back in 2007 (?). For all the hate that it got when it came out, the campaign is really great and does an incredible job of expanding the universe without being overly exposition heavy. The story gets much more space opera-y than the more contained plot of the first game, which some people didn't like. The Arbiter rules, though, i don't care what anyone says. Some of the criticism is warranted though, the ending is abrupt and inconclusive, some of the new enemies are a bit annoying to fight. But overall it's a much tighter experience than the first game. The anniversary graphics hew much closer to the art style of the original game, but I still played with them mostly disabled.

Halo 3

From this point on i'd never played any of these games before. Halo 3 is pretty much peak Halo, and has some of the best set pieces in the series. It's not perfect, though — there's one chapter late that drags on substantially, compounded by the game dropping exposition on you and slowing your movement speed so you can listen to it which always drives me mad in games. But it's not a dealbreaker. It also still looks great given its age, from here on the games aren't given the full Anniversary graphics makeover but are instead just rendered at a higher resolution.

ODST

If i'd paid full price for this back in the day i would have probably been angry, as it's quite short. Thankfully buying it with the collection for only cost like 3 dollars. Basically it's a standalone expansion. That said the voice actors are fun, the music is great, and the gameplay is more Halo 3. Not that that's a bad thing but it doesn't do a ton to differentiate itself in terms of gameplay. I feel like the nighttime levels could probably have leaned in to stealth and evasion, especially since you're no longer playing as a genetically modified supersoldier and are just a regular grunt

Halo Reach

Reach was a complete blind spot for me, I'd never seen or heard anything about it. I was pleasantly surprised, though, it wound up being pretty entertaining. It's a bit disjointed, however — definitely feels like Bungie was chasing a different market (COD, probably? I've never played any of them, but i know how popular they were at the time). In spite of this the gameplay is still strong. The overall tone is darker, and it works hard trying to make the Covenant an intimidating foe even after you've already been fighting them for several games. It tries some new stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. The space combat level was a nice surprise, and sort of the logical conclusion of all of the previous games vehicle segments, but i'm glad it didn't last any longer than it did. I felt like none of the supporting characters were particularly memorable or distinct, though the game tries halfheartedly to make you care about them. They're mostly just off the shelf oo-rah war movie archetypes, though one of them does get a pretty badass sendoff as he kicks you out of a spaceship in orbit hurtling toward the planet while he stays behind to trigger the bomb you smuggled onboard. Pretty great overall.

Voodoo Cafe fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know what's weird?

Knowing the ins and outs of Quake shareware and then, years later, getting to play the full version. And then you decide, decades after that, to actually try the expansions.

Man oh man, I'm really enjoying Scourge of Armagon, and I keep thinking "this has all been here the whole time?!" I have no idea why I never played it or the other one, and yet I played Shrak of all things which still grosses me out to think about. :barf:

I'm very glad SoA isn't Shrak. Is the other add-on as good? Not talking about the new add-on made for the HD remaster of Quake, but the one that came after Scourge?

Dissolution of Eternity (1997) isn't quite as good as Scourge of Armagon, but i did enjoy playing it a couple of years ago. Then again, I also enjoyed playing Malice, so maybe I just love Quake.

The Machine Games expansions, Dimension of the Past (2016) and Dimension of the Machine (2021) are both great as well. Note that DOTP is much more 90s Quake styled, whereas DOTM has much more complex level designs that are more like modern fan-made Quake levels.