Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
On the other hand, getting to lvl 99 in Persona 4 is astonishingly easy if you know the trick to it.

Basically, there's one random encounter in one of the later dungeons Magatsu Inaba where the monsters summon other monsters constantly, and only run away if they take too much damage. The only other thing they can do is try to berserk you, and the summons can only do physical attacks.

Equip Null/Reflect/Absorb Phys Persona on MC, set to Rush mode, leave the game running for half an hour or so, come back and collect 65535 exp.

It's really hard to level up your party members this way though - the adds hit pretty hard so it's difficult to resurrect them all to collect the exp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

And give Dojima the Kohryu persona. Hell yeah giant golden dragon!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah, Focus appears on the Kamudo magatama, which you can get right before the encounter with Matador IIRC.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Oh hot drat, mind charged Agidynes. IIRC Naoto is the only one of your party members in P4 to learn Mind Charge, and she could only really use it on Megidolaon.

EDIT: She probably won't get fire boost/amp though. Imagine Yukiko with Mind Charge :D

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Apparently there's a Raidou Kuzunoha manga now?

http://mangafox.me/manga/devil_summoner_kuzuha_raidou_tai_kodoku_no_marebito/

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To clarify what this means:

It is okay to FUSE the pixie, but do not SACRIFICE the pixie or any demon that you fused the pixie into. Remember which demon contains the original pixie.

Luckily remembering is easy because it always appears at the top of the list.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

nftyw posted:

I wager most of you have seen this but just in case :allears:

Holy poo poo I know the artist (I think). We were talking about the crossover today and I told her how when I was fighting Daisoujou the other day in Nocturne I got hit by Mahamaon right before I was going to kill him. We were wondering how the instant death spells would end up working.

:allears:

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 24, 2013

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I have a Chinese name so when naming my character I tried to translate it into Japanese (badly).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

HOLY poo poo ADACHI

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

Is there something special about the the SMTIII:Nocturne pixie? I've been avoiding any walkthroughs and guides, but I did read somewhere that if you keep leveling her up, she becomes this godly character of sorts, but I've already let her transform into High Pixie right now, so I don't know if I've done anything wrong or not.

If I've messed it up, then I might as well fuse her with something else, but can I still keep her and level her up? She's a pretty decent support character, so I'm okay with her so far, but if that's going to cost me later in the game, then I might as well let her go sooner than later.

Fusing her is okay. Pixie and all descendants of her through Fusion (resummoning from compendium doesn't count) will always be the first demon on your list.

Just don't dismiss that demon and you're golden.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

P4 does at least kind of pair off your party members. Like one of the study group things you can do has them talk about how Chie and Yosuke would be good together, and the same for Kanji and Naoto right after. That's as far as they'll likely ever go, I doubt the games will ever explicitly do anything to make any one set of fans upset about ~my anime waifu~. All of the ladies in P4 will probably always act like they have a crush on the main character in every P4 thing so it doesn't leave anyone out.

Tali in Mass Effect was the waifu-est of waifus and I don't recall any outrage about her getting together with Garrus if Shepard chooses not to romance her.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

Here's a thread if you want gamer.txt fodder.

Though it does have some people hilariously making fun of them.

Anyway, people who are weird and creepy will be weird and creepy regardless of what you do. Atlus does cater to that crowd a bit, but I don't think they devote every waking moment of their existence to bending backwards for them.

Hahaha I should have known. Goddamn Talimancers.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Excels posted:

Why would you waste two turns casting two buffs instead of just casting both on yourself at once? The MC is going to have all the strongest Personae, your team is kind of just secondary at that point.

Because using your team's -kajas means you aren't using up the MC's turn s buffing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Excels posted:

P4 is a game where apparently all you need to do, to instantly resolve your social problems, is accept that you are flawed and/or pathetic and then bam you get a persona, you don't even have to become a better person or anything.

Apparently you missed the entire point of the social links.

Hint: gaining the Persona isn't because you've solved your social problem, it signifies that you've gained the strength to face them. The party member social links are all about dealing with those social problems after that.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Color Printer posted:

Hey, just a shot in the dark, but if anyone here knows Japanese well enough and Persona 4 well enough, I could use your help with something I'm curious about. I don't have all of them up yet (I need to go back and find them, why didn't I write down where they were????) though.

I wouldn't go editing the page just yet if you're sorta half-assing it though.

EDIT: I'm really hoping the ones I have up there aren't just the intro to the game. It doesn't look like they are though.

I had a listen and it definitely sounds like the intro to the game. The second block is Igor preparing to do the tarot reading, I think. Anime has not prepared me sufficiently for Igor's old-man-Japanese.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 4, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I'm fine with changing voice actors because the other end of the spectrum is Japan where having someone else voice a character is considered sacrilege and usually takes being dead for years to make happen.

Depends on the character, honestly. And it isn't uncommon for VAs to change between the same character in different media, for example several VAs are different between Jojo All Star Battle and the Stardust Crusaders anime.

What happened with Igor is fairly unusual, I think.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

asvodel posted:

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/07/persona-4-arena-ultimax-shadow-naoto.html
Does anyone know what the KY in Naoto's title stands for?
Sorry if it was addressed in the first game

KY stands for "kuuki yome" or "read the mood", and is used to describe people who can't read the mood. In otherwords, a killjoy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Speaking of Erica, if P5 has a trans and/or gay character and treats them with the respect they treated Erica with it would be pretty amazing.

It would even be thematic!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Neurion posted:

Yet another tune in Nocturne derives from music earlier in the series. Note the similarities between the music for Arcade Street from SMT1 and Ginza from Nocturne.

And they remixed it again for SMT IV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8vVN0GmPGg

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

Depends on the demon but I got a lot of "That's it?? Time to die!!" messages from demons when I did this.

I found that this happened pretty consistently with specific demons and that the ones that do this tend to also respond well to continued gift-giving.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait, do (Element) Boost and (Element) Amp stack on top of each other? I had been deleting the Boost skill in favor of the Amp one before.

Yes.

I liked to do that with Yukiko in P4. Too bad I couldn't get her Mind Charge, since it was the PS2 version.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I posted this in the Monster Hunter thread, but it's also relevant here:

http://beanseller.tumblr.com/post/98272755503/beanbeankingdom-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmqbhyS-BK8

Yeah, I can't understand poo poo.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Nocturne "alignment" is only affected by dialogue choices and the Amala Labyrinth.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pretty sure you can still refuse the True Demon Ending after defeating Metatron

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I built my MC into a physical bruiser + party heal and Zio for utility.

Four digit crits are so satisfying.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I forget, did we ever find out whether what Yosuke's crush is saying in the shadow world is her or her shadow talking?

I don't think it's ever stated outright, but I think it's probably the remnants of her shadow. Plus Yosuke's shadow, maybe.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah, having played Nocturne I knew how the system worked already, and after a bit of a rough patch at the beginning I pretty much broke the game over my knee. Four digit crits are so satisfying.

Still, there were some dicey bits. One of the bosses of the Chaos dungeon wiped my team except for a single demon that was completely immune to everything it could do. The trouble is I could only damage the boss with a spell on that demon, and its mana pool wasn't terribly large.

It came down to waiting for the boss to attack and proc smirk on the demon to boost its attacks, then hitting once and waiting again. Eventually I got down to my last bit of MP and prepared to reset.

The final spell killed the boss. :woop:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Hassou Tobi.

E: Beaten. Physical and magic are probably about equal in Nocturne, but the TDE basically expects you to have built a physical character.

I went physical in SMT IV and it worked great for the whole game. Not very many demons are immune to phys, and for those I kept Zio around on my main character.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 2, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

When he switches elements he also becomes weak to that element. Throw up Makarakarn and laugh.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Joker is probably the MC's nickname or something. It says "The Fool" underneath it, which is obviously going to be his initial/main arcana.

Hey, that means that people can talk about the MC without an awkward pause where his name is supposed to be, because they'll be calling him Joker.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Robin Hood and Goemon would work.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm imagining Shadow Naoto dancing in a too-big labcoat and flapping her sleeves around.

Shadow Kanji twerking in a fundoshi.

:stonk:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Do you use the stylus to poke and caress the big strong warlords as well as the delicate flowers of battle

Yes

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

El Hefe posted:

Lol you can die switching floors between kalpas in nocturne? such trolls

No? You can take damage but it'll leave you at 1 HP, never kill you. I know this from playing it on emulator where those tunnels gave me awful framerates on my older laptop so I ran into tons of damage bubbles.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Persona 4 Golden:
Hold up! Hold up! So my character beat the boss battle and proceeded to have a huge last story filled segment where Nanako became sick and eventually died. I then had the choice to throw the guy in the TV or not. I decided to throw him inside. So now the game skips all the rest of winter and everything else and the game ends. Like did I mess up by throwing the guy in the TV or is the game suppose to end this abruptly?

You done hosed up son.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait so I did not kill him and I got another abrupt ending. Is this really how this game ends?

I would have done worse things to him then throw him in a TV.

You gotta reach out to the truth

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Refer to my previous post

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

That seems to check out, by the time I hit Mot I always start off battles with buffs/debuffs and I never had trouble with getting Beast Eye'd, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I tried to play Nocturne but I ended up catching a demon, grinding to get its skills and then fusing it to another trash demon until I ended up like 10+ levels ahead of the curve.

I always end up ahead of the curve I think, it just changes the nature of the game's challenge from "can I beat this" to "how big can I make my Demifiend's damage numbers go".