Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Delta-Wye posted:

I don't care what you say, that shower is cool and the backsplash is banging.

I love the backsplash, too. And the kitchen color scheme, which I realize is not to everybody's taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vindolanda posted:

There would be a drain in the floor for the condensing water.
Minus the steam, there were efficiency kitchens in the 1930s that did just this. The linoleum under the kicksteps and at the walls was laid along a curve, so you could sluice water around the floor and then down the drain. It still seems like an interesting design to me, but you'd have to be careful of the electric appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, &c), most of which aren't designed to be submerged.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

You tell me.

There is one in a closet and one behind the bar.
My grandmother's house in Texas (dated to the 1920s) had two independent gas heaters that you lit with a match, one in the bathroom and one in the living room. Where would those two taps have been in the original floor layout of the house?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I like the Befores on both of those.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

OK, I have a question.

Will removing all bathtubs from a house (and going with walk-in showers) lower a property's value because without a tub, a house isn't kid-friendly?
It is absolutely going to restrict the size of your buying pool, but whether that matters depends on the market. You can buy much better tubs than the American default, but they are priced for people who have luxury/status bedrooms. One example; there are also built-ins without claws.

Tubs aren't just for people with children/pets; they're also seen as a luxury, a place where you relax.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

Oh no I'm not dissing them, they are the best tubs (unless you have limited mobility and can't get in/out of them I guess). It's just kind of amusing to see fully renovated and flipped houses where they've gutted all the bathrooms and put all new fixtures in except the tub upstairs. Only way that thing is coming down is if the house falls with it.

Yeah, it would be really easy to trip and fall getting out of them, and there's no place to install a grab bar. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

deoju posted:

The sooner barn doors, shiplap, and recovered pallets go out of style the better.

Also exposed "Edison" lightbulbs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Most of the Edison bulbs I’ve seen are actually LED now and just mimic the look of Edison bulbs.

That may be just because I’m in CA and they cant sell incandescents anymore.

I just hate the drat things because lampshades were invented for a reason, to soften light. Single-point light sources that are directly in your line of vision are hell.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Blistex posted:

They look really nice in vintage lamps and chandeliers. I refinished a 1930s arts deco lamp and considered an Edison, but I eventually chose a frosted LED, since they're better for reading under.

That lamp is gorgeous. Nice work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

yes they converted the balcony to a half-bath

from a very badly remodeled 2BR 1BA trying to be a 4BR 5BA. The other two rooms upstairs had their closets turned into half baths; there's a full bath on the first floor attached to a small room and then a 3/4 bath in the basement where there are no legal bedrooms.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2010-NE-54th-St-Seattle-WA-98105/48786755_zpid/

Oh, and they painted the original built-in oak. Nice work there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Especially past that sink.

That doesn't look quite right for a stand-alone bidet, I think it's a sink for bathing your pets.
If you have that house, you don't keep pets. One shed hair and the entire vibe if off.

In any case, having the sprayer just loose in the bowl instead of being retractable or at least having a hook above it is sloppy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

About 15 years ago I paid a professional electrician to put a set of grounded outlets along one kitchen wall, because it has a refrigerator, microwave, convection oven, and air conditioner on the same circuit. With an appropriately-sized breaker.

Yesterday I found out that he had put in grounded outlets, all right, but hadn't bothered to pull and connect a ground wire.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Phanatic posted:

It was 15 years ago and he wasn't just pulling Romex?

The outlets already existed; I just asked him to ground them. They were two-prong at the time. IIRC I also asked that they be split so they weren't all on the same breaker.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

I'm voting for "electrician only changed the outlets and did nothing else."

Same. The odd thing is that the problem we had had, which was that running the microwave and the air conditioner simultaneously tripped the breaker, stopped.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

Ohhhh...yeah, I didn't think about outright unsafe poo poo like that. And I really should have.

So...Arsenic Lupin......you might just want to take a look at which breaker that is and make sure it's not......I'm gonna guess here based on no grounds.....more than a 15.

Thanks for suggesting I look. Every circuit in the house, except the dryer and the garage store opener, is on a 20-amp breaker.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I always heard that most geodesic domes leaked over time, especially the early ones. Also, as with A-frames, hanging pictures can be challenging. Still, they are cool and weird.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Ya, the price reflected some of the weirdass issues (insurance particularly can be difficult,) but it also had a detached four car garage with a shop and office/bathroom. I was really bummed.

Clearly you live in the garage and rent out the dome as an AirBnB.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Despite being infinitely weird it's surprisingly relaxing and comfortable in there, once you dial in the 17 (most dimmable) light switches. My wife and I both just think it's kind of funny and impractical.
clawfoot tub, jacuzzi tub, and a double shower. Behind the glass blocks are a dark green toilet and matching bidet. The big tub unfortunately became impractical after we replaced the leaking 100-gallon water heater. That's actually a gas-burning stove, not wood. It and a matching one in the bedroom are the only sources of heat for the master suite. Enough BTUs but kind of stupid. Plz don't ask about the remainder of my seven-zone three-fuel heat system.

At the risk of doxxing myself I can post more about the house if there is interest. It has been a 3-year process of slowly de-weirding it and catching up on serious maintenance deficits. The POs spent 20 years putting tons of money into crazy stuff and zero into anything actually necessary or thoughtful, which is a lot on a 160-year-old house.

Sneak peek:

Please, please, start a thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Furthermore, the oil companies release a lot of carbon as part of their processing. It is routine in the oil industry to "flare off" (burn) natural gas that shows up in oil wells because it's just not worth it to set up the infrastructure to resell. Oil and gas refineries also flare.

Oil and gas companies want you to believe it's all about the consumers' use of hydrocarbons, but it really, really isn't.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dareon posted:

Actually kind of impressive. Though you know someone's gonna injure themselves on it in the dark.
Sorry, this belongs in the "Spectacular construction" thread. Those miters!

PainterofCrap posted:

When my family moved to Zurich from Philadelphia in 1970, we bought a number of transformers of various sizes/capacities to operate the appliances we brought with us, principally a Sears refrigerator and a huge Philco upright freezer.

TV couldn't work properly - we were able to get certain pictures, but no sound.
That's because European* televisions use a different analog encoding for pictures. Americans use NTSC (lovingly known as Never Twice The Same Color) and Europeans* use PAL. This is also why you couldn't buy videotapes from the UK/Japan unless you also bought a transcoding tape recorder.

(settles back to watch Region 2 Touch of Frost episodes in blissful digital encoding).

* it's way more complex than that, but European will do for this case

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 2, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mds2 posted:

Are you the oldest goon?

Nope. 62 here.

PainterofCrap, wow, was your sister chic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I want to thank this thread. We're buying a new-to-us house, and the realtor walkthrough noted "old zinsco panel". Thanks to you guys, my ears pricked up, I thought "Wait, haven't I heard something about this?", and I'll be having an electrician in when we take possession.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking at apartments, and came across this beautiful bathroom.

The rest of the apartment is completely generic 90s/00s style, but the bathroom is obviously original. That bathtub is just :discourse:

I love the curve up to it so stuff can't get caught in corners.

E: This used to be a highly-recommended feature for kitchen floors: run the curve of the linoleum up to the kick of the cabinets, so that there were no corners for dirt to be trapped in.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 16, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

99% sure it's a planter.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm the inexplicable lack of a way into the bathroom

Curtains on the right.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Prop loom, as there is no other equipment visible, nor anywhere to store it. Even worse than an out of context Chair imo.

Good catch. I don't even see a shuttle.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ulmont posted:

16 oz = 16 oz, you say?

Unless you're in the UK! I was taught "A pint's a pound the world around", and it is a LIE. Imperial pints are 20 ounces.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I will build myself a copper tower
With four ways out and no way in
But mine the glory, mine the power.

Thank you so much for introducing me to that poem.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Ahhh the good ol clit-mouse
Those were so much better than trackpads; precise and didn't require moving your fingers off the home row.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

First I invite people over. Then I suggest the hot tub. Then we turn up the heat and it's HOT POT FOR ALL. Well, almost all. Don't forget to stock up on shaojiu.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have a history question. I just read the Groverhaus thread from beginning to end, and the only responses are praise of his majesty. Did he delete all the criticism, or was it going on in another thread? (I really wanted to see "load-bearing drywall" in context.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I believe all the dunking was in a separate thread in FYAD.

Oh, darn. Then it's lost to pitiless Time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

How is that tree's root system getting any water at all?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dream house of the day. Everybody on r/zillowgonewild agrees that you should just go the whole hog and turn it into a wedding chapel

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PremiumSupport posted:

Yeah, that's going to be a really interesting case to sort out. According to one of the comments made before the post was removed (so take it with a grain of salt) it was one of POs kids who found the jar in an abandoned boat, thought it was neat and took it home. The jar then was broken in the move. The poster is obviously due some form of compensation for injury suffered through no fault of their own, but It's not clear that PO is the one who should be on the hook for it.

PO didn't disclose a known hazard. That's not going to look good on the lawsuit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Basically this. If you live somewhere humid in the US south, where you both would want to keep multiple windows open for most of the year and there are a lot of mosquitoes and other bugs, netting seems like it would cross the border from "nice to have" into "basically a requirement to live here".

For an average Norwegian house, where the only window that's open for more than some intermittent airing is likely to be in a bedroom that's not on the ground floor? Eh, it would stop a few wasps in late summer, I guess.
The worst mosquitoes I have ever dealt with were in Trondheim in high summer. You wanted the windows open because it was hot. You did not want the windows open because you needed that blood to keep your internal organs functional. And no, no screens. On the other hand, that was in 1973, and both climate and building have changed since then.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MRC48B posted:

From 1890 to the 1930s, steam heat systems in the states were specifically sized to be used with windows open 1" for ventilation.

"Fresh air" was an obsession. People thought the tightly-sealed Victorian houses with gas lamps were bad for your lungs, and it was vital to breathe outdoors air. You walked your baby in a baby carriage so it could get fresh air. You hung your baby out a window so it could get fresh air. (In cities full of coal smoke, but welp.)

Having windows open was good for your health, and helped prevent tuberculosis.

I was raised in the '60s, and getting fresh air was still a big deal; "go outside and get some fresh air." I still prefer sleeping with a window open. My husband and I slept with a window cracked open even when we lived somewhere that regularly had 10-below (Fahrenheit) temperatures.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sirotan posted:

I got to reading on CO2 levels in homes the other day and the Victorians probably weren't entirely wrong. I'm going to pick up an air quality meter that measures CO2 levels just so I have an idea of how good or bad the air in my house is. It is 80yo and I'm sure plenty leaky, but now I'm just curious.
They weren't wrong at all, IMHO. Unvented rooms with open coal-gas lamps must have been extremely unhealthy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said before: never buy a house from an electrician.

Source: landlord is an electrician.

Isn't Grover? Also, it's very weird to read the earliest pages of one of the housing threads, and have Grover be a respected authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sounds probably aren't particularly comforting either, and I can't imagine the taste does much to save it. Really a failure on all senses except the one of impending disaster.

:perfect: