Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mr. Pickles posted:

Cradle of filth have earned their spurs imo. I mean who can argue against from cradle to enslave, cruelty and the beast and midian. Those are awesome albums

Saw em around 2003/4, had a awesome time. Would I go see em now? no

this is somehow the death metal equivalent of limbonic art?

From the Cradle to Enslave is an EP not an album.

Midian is a weird one for me because I loved it back in the day when I was first getting into them but now the stinkers on that album really show through.

I like the early stuff up to and including Cruelty and have been hit or miss with everything else. The last two or three albums have all been pretty good for what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yes that's a good song and a good album. I actually really liked the "Original Sin" version that was released last year.

tote up a bags posted:

The in flames cover EP is incredibly weird and for a while i was convinced i dreamed it and it wasnt real

I was surprised it was a thing and that it wasn't awful mostly. The cover of Hurt was terrible though.

What the gently caress happened to In Flames anyway?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

turn left, thread, nooooooooooooo

I'm not trying to start poo poo, it's just they've had an odd career and their new stuff is so vastly different it's weird.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I'm not a huge fan of Samael, although I loving love "Blood Ritual", but their newest album "Hegemony" is really good.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

Working my way through people's end of year lists, that Couch Slut record is really good, and lyrically very disturbing.

I haven't read through their lyrics yet but Couch Slut makes for amazing music to get work done to.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Oldstench posted:

Ceremony of Opposites with the symphonic elements cranked to 11 and a slick modern production.

Yeah that's actually a really good way to describe it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Worship Him was the last great Samuel album. It's been down hill ever since.

Blood Ritual is really good.

And I don't know why this album hits better for me than some of their others but it does. :shrug: it's metal, it doesn't always make sense.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fenrir posted:

It's me. I'm the one guy whose favorite Darkthrone album is still Soulside Journey.

I think Soulside Journey is criminally under appreciated. I wouldn't call it my favorite, but before I got into their early 90's trilogy, Soulside was pretty much the only Darkthrone album I liked.

Arctic Thunder loving ruled though.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Capilarean posted:

Anyone heard/cares about the new Polkadot Cadaver album, Get Possessed? I loved their older stuff but after giving this one a listen, I just get nothing, completely forgettable. Any opinions? Should I give it another spin or is it in fact poo poo?

I don't think group consensus should influence your opinion of an album. Give it a second go and if it still doesn't click then it's just not for you.

I love me some Steven Wilson but his newest album was so boring I shut it off like 4 songs in. I doubt my opinion would have been different if I'd read a bunch of reviews, although I might have at least know ahead of time it was going to be painfully loving dull.

*insert joke about Steven Wilson here*

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fenrir posted:

I hear that a lot, and it's odd to me. The Incident took a few listens but I think it has become my favorite PT record ever.

I don't think The Incident clicked for me until like...this past year, and now it's one of my goto albums.

I really liked "Grace for Drowning" but haven't delved too much into the solo stuff other than the newest one.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

I really enjoy listening to Reinkaos, Dissection's last album.

Fight me.

Reinkaos is cool and good. gently caress the haters.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

I liked Dissection the couple of times I listened to them, but then I found out that Jon comitted a (probably homophobic) murder, and also used to kill cats. I can seperate the artist and their work to an extent, but that's too much for me.

Yeah, if theres one thing I can say about brushing up on Black Metal history as an adult (re-reading Evolution of the Cult for a podcast) is it's really difficult at times to separate personal moral standing with some of the poo poo these dudes have done or said.

Having said that, I still enjoy Burzum and Dissection, despite their leaders being massive cunts. At least Varg has been a comedy goldmine for years.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

kumba posted:

Dragonforce should have given up after Inhuman Rampage because let's be honest they were never going to live up to that

Ultra Beatdown and everything that has come after it has been garbage

Valley of the Damned was the only Dragonforce album I liked and that was in 03/04, after that it just felt like they were doing the same thing over and over again, and there's really only so many times I can listen to wanky guitars before it just becomes dull.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A3th3r posted:

I think I preferred the old lead singer of Killswitch to the new lead singer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoQrwKJtv_c

Their current lead singer is the same dude from that song though? Are you saying you liked Howard Jones better?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A3th3r posted:

Errrr... I don't think so buddy. It is a fairly beefy white guy with a mustache & a beard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANCzu70us4

And two seconds on Wikipedia would make you not look like a doofus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Leach

Alive or Just Breathing, which the video you posted came out in like 02/03. It's 2017 the dude has aged.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Crossposting this from the PYF Bad rear end Pictures thread because it owns:

That game owns and I'm mad because that kid plays that song better than I can :(

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Smirr posted:

Yeah, except I changed it from "comments" (or "comment section") to "replies" because there are no comments on SA (nor comment sections). In other news, I'm listening to THAT riff from Green Cave Float right now again and gently caress, I want to start an epic doom metal band just so I can rip it off.

I'd argue putting Transylvanian Hunger over Under a Funeral Moon, but I just really like TH.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Your list is flawed. All Darkthrone albums are great. Even the bad ones.

Underground Resistance was bad. Like really bad.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

This track (probably the greatest and most epic Darkthrone song ever) proves otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0tsFqTulM8

OK you're correct that song owns.

Also apparently I'm a moron because I got Underground Resistance mixed up with Ov Hell's "Underworld Regime" which proves I should probably stop smoking so much pot.

Underworld Regime is not good.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Cool cover art, bad music. Yeesh.

Yeah no kidding. I thought that style of vocals died with Metalcore.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

I liked the first track but then I was looking it up and turns out the main guy is a huge nazi so it's not for me.

Disclaimer that I make no judgements about other people listening to nsbm (as long as it's not for the political message, obviously). And this project itself seems to be tackling less racist subject matter than "Promo Tape 88" and "Laser Holocaust" from Antisemitex.

Laser Holocaust sounds like the most amazingly cheesy and no budget 1980's Italian schlock. Complete with over the top synth soundtrack.

It makes me sad some dumbass racist came up with it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Rocksmith is the way you wanna go if you want to learn how to play guitar/bass and lack motivation

Seriously this. I've been playing for five years now because of that game.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Ey guys have you ever wondered what a power metal band playing 'belongs in eurovision" songs would sound like?
Answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N4tXf3Ensw

And then stared at yourself in the mirror in horror because you kinda like it?

This is cheesier than Nightwish. How the gently caress is that possible?

And I'm a Nightwish fan but this is too much for me.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cheapsteaks posted:

You can probably add on Sabaton to that list of poppy metal bands, especially their most recent albums.

Pandora keeps trying to play Sabaton and it's always so boring.

Clearly this is my punishment for liking some Kamelot tracks.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if someone started a band that sounded exactly like paramore with blast beats they'd make well probably not a killing but a marginal living maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMdqgPPTLoA

I kinda liked this. If such a band existed and had a decent vocalist I'd probably listen to them.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That's actually really cool because I live in Alameda County.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

NonzeroCircle posted:

Literally as I was typing that Sound Of Silence came on. Urgh.

That cover is offensively bad. I want to see Simon and Garfunkel punch Draiman in the mouth for loving up their song.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Did anyone mention Meatshits or Anal oval office for grind stuff?

I don't listen to a ton of grind but I enjoy those two, especially AC. Picnic of Love is pretty great.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nordick posted:

I'm returning to this momentarily, because I just discovered this band the other day and jesus loving christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNVur6CDJ8w

I can hear my cholesterole skyrocketing but god help me I'm kinda digging this

Why do they all use that awful keyboard preset.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That cover is loving hilarious and one of my favorite "This is real" metal covers.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

Instead of three hours of Therion, try an hour of Master's Hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AsSmJOmc4

loving Sweet a new Masters Hammer album. Still pissed most of their early stuff got pulled from streaming.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Well...he's not wrong.

A human heart posted:

All their stuff is on bandcamp now https://mastershammer.bandcamp.com

I didn't think the last album was very good(too many wacky electronic beats and unmemorable riffs) but the new one sounds more promising, seems like being a live band might have given them some creativity.

Yeah I hadn't heard the last one, although I think it's in one of my streaming libraries. Jilimence Occultist is a really good album that I need to buy.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

Yes. When I saw them in 2016, their set was Prime Evil, Warhead, and most of the first two albums. It's probably similar but with a few new songs now.

Wait is Venom Inc with or without Cronos on vocals?

I'm too lazy to look.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

Venom Inc is with Tony Dolan, who sang on Prime Evil and some other albums. They're better live than Cronos Venom currently are.

Ah. I knew there were two versions of Venom running around but I haven't bothered listening to the newer stuff from either.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mackers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpU8LYo7LMg

Saw this and wept that I'll never get to see SYL live

Right there with you. I didn't get into SYL until last year when I was digging through his other stuff, and specifically the Retinal Circus because he played this and Detox.

Chaos Years is a great starter for SYL if you don't know which album to start with, but City is probably my favorite.

I should have gone to see DTP on their Transcendence tour but I skipped because I figured "I'll catch them when they come back"

:(

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 18, 2018

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

when did demon burger turn into english language rammstein?

Last album maybe? Basically when they fired Vortex and Mustis.

Although they haven't released a good album since Death Cult Armageddon (which was too god drat long)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Weaponized Cum posted:

Ask him if he's still doing the art shows where he cuts himself and then takes a nap on a couch

Why is Satyricon so loving boring?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

someone got up on the wrong foot lol

another thing that puts me off is the ironic song titles. transilvanian fungus and salt thrower, really? gently caress off with that poo poo

I'm sorry you can't appreciate comedy in the very serious genre of heavy metal.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Apparently they don't go to the US becuase it's really expensive. Make of that what you will

BTW Faust is the one who murdered a guy, and was replaced by Trym after In the Nightside Eclipse. Faust toured with them for 2014 after he got out of prison but Trym was the drummer on tours before and after, and I don't recall Ihsahn, Samoth or Trym having felonies (but I might be wrong?)

Sammoth, Faust and their bassist whose name escapes me all did time. Faust for murder, the other two for church burning.

Ihsahn was a good boy and stayed out of trouble, other than apparently setting himself on fire during an early UK tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

one more and i'll stop!

these guys were from canada, all women. some of the crustiest, nastiest mid tempo death metal i've heard! sounds like autopsy crossed with dystopia or something. or early bolt thrower. amazing band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z7EbqljDJw

this is what they looked like

This was super good, thanks for sharing it.

Smirr posted:

Darkthrone are the one big exception that I personally make. Mostly because (to my knowledge) Fenriz has never tried the "I was just trolling" cop-out and instead acknowledges that yes, he really was that racist back then, which he now regrets. Somehow, that makes the nazi poo poo on and surrounding Transilvanian Hunger fine to me, possibly because I have brain problems

I think of all the dudes still running around from that early scene, Fenriz seems the most down to earth. I make an exception for Burzum because I genuinely like most of the albums, but I also acknowledge that Varg is a massive piece of poo poo and Ive never spent a dime on his records because I don't want to financially support his dumbass.