Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Any recommendations for an introductory Japanese cookbook? I'm getting more and more into Japanese flavours so I'm looking to try out a wide variety of recipes. Is there a go to 'bible' for Japanese cooking? I would rate myself as an intermediate level cook and I'm looking for everyday meals rather than very complicated special occasion stuff.
I live in Australia which might limit availability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thanks for those!
The Hiroko Shimbo book looks to be everything I want apart from one small niggle: it only uses American measuring units so extra effort needed to convert everything to metric which is used exclusively over here.
Cookpad looks interesting and I've bookmarked that for a proper browse later.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ibntumart posted:

I have two sockeye salmon fillets thawing for dinner later this week. Any ideas for a simple glaze or sauce to prepare it with?

For a Japanese marinade and sauce:

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Shoyu
2 tablespoons sake
1/2 thumb ginger, peeled and finely grated
1/2 cup instant dashi stock

Mix that together so that the sugar dissolves (heat it if you add cold dashi stock, otherwise the hot stock is usually enough). Let it cool then use half to marinade the salmon for at least an hour covered in the fridge. Pat dry and then pan fry or grill / griddle the salmon.
Heat the other half of the marinade in a pan and add about 25g of butter, remove from the heat and stir it to melt the butter. Pour it over your cooked salmon.
This makes enough for 4 salmon cutlets but more sauce is always good!

Or Teriyaki is fantastic with Salmon. Mix together:

250ml light soy sauce
200ml mirin
200ml sake
80g caster sugar

Heat in a pan on low heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Allow it to cool then store it in a container / bottle in your cupboard. Use about 1/4 cup to glaze salmon fillets in a frying pan. I would cook the salmon about half way then add the teriyaki so that it can thicken up and glaze the fish as it finishes cooking.

Helith fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 17, 2014

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I think there are non alcoholic brands of mirin available. You might be able to track one down.
For the cooking sake you could use white grape juice and add a dash of rice vinegar maybe?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm in the process of making some feta cheese. I've successfully created curds and whey and the cheese is starting it's overnight process of draining so we'll see how successful that turns out tomorrow.
So, I have loads of whey, probably about 3 litres of the stuff. The internet tells me that it'll keep in the fridge for up to 6 months if stored in glass containers (which I do have).
I'm looking for peoples favourite ways to use whey. I don't bake, but I do cook. I'm also happy to just drink the stuff and make protein drinks for after my runs if anyone has interesting recipes for that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Suspect Bucket posted:

Feed to young pigs. Have whey pigs.

We've been making soap from ours, but it only uses 8oz at a time. Fridge space is at a premium, so the pigs get a lot of it. I wish the goats would drink ot like at the last farm I was at, but they just dont have a taste for it.

Brb, buying pigs!

Sadly can't have pigs in my city centre unit :(

Now soap sounds interesting, do you have a recipe and method you could post or link me to?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kangaroo meat is incredibly lean too which is great for when you eat it, but can be a problem when you cook it because it can get very tough very quickly.
Crocodile meat is tasty too, tastes a bit like a fishy chicken, and is also very lean. I like it in stir fries.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Adult Sword Owner posted:

It's the usual bias where if someone doesn't like a thing they denounce that thing loudly. My thing with milk is sort of the opposite of yours, I see it passed off as the healthiest health drink and you should always let your kids have unlimited amounts and you will die from diseases if you don't drink at least a glass a day.

Eggs are a running joke about how they go back between good and bad, last change was 'never mind they're good,' but I don't think I've ever heard a serious person say "I don't eat eggs because I think they're unhealthy." If anything the fitness crazies I know go nuts for them.

I don't think I've ever heard an American talk badly about caffeine unless they're a Mormon or sXe HARDCORE PUNK STRAIGHT EDGE LIFE

People, especially kids and older women, are recommended to drink milk because of the calcium content. Milk is a cheap, easily accessible, easily digested form of a calcium rich food which will help children grow up with strong bones and will help stop old ladies bones from crumbling away from osteoporosis.
Of course there are other sources of calcium in your diet, yoghurt, cheese, soy milk, tofu, some fish, some vegetables, almonds etc, but milk has the highest ratio of calcium in general, which is why people are told to drink milk.
Get some calcium in your diet (and other good stuff too). Eat real food, not too much.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

emotive posted:

Can anyone recommend a relatively simple/quick Asian style soup broth recipe? Every time I try soup, it comes out bland.

I'm planning on putting bok choy, shitake mushrooms, broccoli and brown rice noodles in it.

I realize this is a vague question... I'm obsessed with pho, but something towards the Chinese or Japanese flavor profiles would probably be best since my girlfriend hates Vietnamese/Thai food (wat).

If you like it spicy you could try a Gochujang / Miso mix, or just Gochujang if you like it really spicy!

e: also brown rice noodles! I've wished those existed but never seen them in Australia yet. Now I know that they actually exist maybe they'll show up sometime soon.

Helith fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 3, 2015

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

nuru posted:

Brown Rice takes a long time to cook. If I freeze it, can I reheat it without losing the consistency?

If not, I may look into keeping some instant brown rice bowls costco sells around for sudden rice needs.

The medium grain brown rice I use takes 25 minutes to cook. Maybe you can find something like that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

bartlebyshop posted:

I would like to make stir fry with tofu in it. I have no stirring/frying experience. Does anyone have newbie-friendly recipe, ideally one not containing broccoli or cauliflower?

Mapo tofu, while not a stir fry , is cooked in a wok and is some good spicy stuff.
I'm on my phone so can't link to any recipes right now but Google should get you one.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Iggore posted:

Ladies and gentlemen,

I require advices, inputs and suggestion on the matter on black pudding and blood sausage.

Would anyone recommend pimping the basic recipee of onion, oatmeal, porc fat and allspice? Is so, how? What fun and joyous spices/herbs do you put in there?

I've heard its good with glazed fruits (grapes, apple) and potatoes. Anything else?

Forever in your debts,

~ Iggore.

e: Is there an existing thread about this?

Being from Lancashire I find this designation of Black Pudding as a superfood to be a bit surreal! Still if the world catches on the sublime flavour of it, it's all good.

A classic combo is Black pudding and Scallops with pea puree. So good. Google around for recipes.
It's also common as part of a Full English Breakfast in the North West of England.
Lots of recipes are starting to pop up all over the place now that it's becoming trendy. A lot of them use it in places where other sausage or sausage meat could be used.
Of course you could just eat it the way I did as a child and just fry a couple of slices, add a fried egg and some HP brown sauce and you're good to go.

Helith fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 12, 2016

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made a red coconut curry that I liked before, but it was short on vegetables. What would go well in something like that?

Cherry tomatoes, thin carrot slices, snow peas and lychees all work really well.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I tried that first. He calls himself a 'whole food vegan', which I read up on but the no oil thing doesn't ordinarily seem to be part of that. They do mention 'no processed oil', but I don't know if something like pressed olive oil would be ok. So I texted him and his response was 'No oils, no fats!". I followed it up by asking him if nuts were ok, which they are. So who knows.

Does he actually realise that nuts are chock full of fats? I mean if you whizz up a load of peanuts to make peanut butter and you leave it for a while the oil from the peanuts separates. I was going to suggest this as a way of getting some oil to cook with, but it sounds like he wouldn't even be happy with that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pollyanna posted:

Do I just cook duck breast like I would chicken breast? i.e. pan sear on high to caramelize the skin, then low sautee to cook the breast through, and make a white wine reduction out of the pan drippings?

For perfect duck breasts:
Trim excess skin from around the breast
Score skin and fat down to, but not into, the flesh
Place duck breasts skin side down into a cold frying pan
Put pan on to medium heat for 7 -8 mins (fat should render out and skin should go brown and crispy, depending on your burners you may need higher heat)
Turn the breasts and cook for a further 2-3 minutes depending on thickness
Rest for 5 minutes, slice and you should have medium rare meat and crispy skin
Eat.
Reserve and cool the fat to cook other things like potatoes in for later

Helith fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 20, 2016

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pollyanna, sorry it didn't work out the first time, but as you said, it's the first step to learning.
It sounds like you needed a little more heat on the pan so try at the 6 or 7 setting (or even 8, it really depends on what heat your burner throws out) and see where that gets you. I have gas burners and use the largest one when cooking duck breast.
It also might have needed another minute when you turned it.
You kinda have to play by ear depending on the individual breast.
Duck is delicious at medium rare but if you're happier with it cooked more than that then just leave it in the pan a little longer.

I never usually finish in the oven so can't help you with timimgs there, but suggestions for a thermometer are good. Eventually you'll be able to tell how done meat is by prodding it and feeling how springy it feels!

Helith fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

MrSlam posted:

Do cleaning questions count here if they involve cookware?

We have a couple aluminum sheet pans that have permanent burn marks on them. It'd be easier just to buy new ones but we don't ever throw anything away because we have a problem. I read baking soda and vinegar help. Can anybody back that up?

For that matter, years of not cleaning the kitchen properly have left our wood cabinets with a tacky feel to it. What can I do about that?

The tacky feeling on your cabinets is probably a build up of grease from cooking. Give them a good wipe down with a damp cloth and washing up liquid. I think Dawn is the go to in the US, but any dishwashing liquid will have de-greasing properties. Apply a bit of elbow grease too!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tired Moritz posted:

Can someone tell me what this is? I google'd it and all I got was something called Panassed. I'm not sure if that's a word.

Looks like fish, trout maybe or salmon :shrug:
Maybe it's being smoked, but probably just cooked over the flames.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah but Kecap Manis is thicker and much gloopier than just Soy sauce, wouldn't you notice?

Also to the person looking for Lemongrass, does any of your grocers sell jarred minced lemongrass because that keeps for ages and is a good sub if you can't get fresh.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've got a recipe for rye soda bread that needs 250g of wholemeal flour and 100g of rye flour. I couldn't get any rye flour so could I just use 350g of wholemeal flour and have the bread turnout ok?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, it won't be rye soda bread, but wholemeal soda bread. I'm not really a baker so I guess I just wanted reassurance that it would still make edible bread and that you could sub wholemeal flour to rye flour 1:1.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Put some quince paste on your cheese plate, also some grapes.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thursday Next posted:

I'd rather use them as they are, since freezing and re-thawing them won't help their flavor or texture.

Right now, my options are:

* Marcella Hazan's prawn "appetizer" (blanched prawns | very good olive oil | fresh lemon juice | salt)
* Vietnamese spring rolls (blanched prawns | rice vermicelli | mint | lettuce | carrot)
* Pasta fra Diavolo (prawns | garlic | San Marzanos | red pepper flakes | jalopeno | pasta)

Probably going to go with the first option since it's healthiest by far, and also incredibly simple now that i've cleaned 'em all. If anyone else has suggestions on things they'd do with a giant bowl of cleaned, blanched prawns, please let me know.

The simplest answer is to make a healthy dip to your taste to dunk the prawns in, open a bottle of champagne and enjoy your afternoon!
Otherwise maybe a Vietnamese herb salad? Mint, coriander (cilantro), cucumber, carrot, red onion, shredded Chinese (napa) cabbage and the prawns dressed in some Nuoc cham?

Helith fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 16, 2017

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gerblyn posted:

That... is a good point. I'm curious to try it at the weekend now. Anyone got ideas for what I could do with a bowl of fried egg plant chunks?

This recipe right here is my favourite way to eat eat eggplants, we end up going to the restaurant regularly just to eat the eggplant (though the rest of the food is good too!)

The Malaya Szechuan Eggplant

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cooking rice in coconut milk is a legit and very tasty way to prepare it. Tins of coconut milk are usually 400ml so you would use one of those to about 350g of rice. You bring the coconut milk up to the boil, tip in the rice (you can also add some chopped chili and grated ginger if you want) and about 200ml of water, cover and cook on low for as long as the instructions on the rice say it needs. It's one of those where you want all the liquid to be absorbed so you may need less water depending on what rice you use.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

What kind of rice are you using Drunk Driver Dad? I'm honestly intrigued as to why yours is still uncooked after 4 hours. Maybe the heat in a slow cooker is too low? I've never used one so I don't really know what temps they get to.
White rice usually takes 15 minutes, brown 25-30 and wild rice up to an hour at a boil in a pot.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Totally Reasonable posted:

No lie, this stuff mixed with like 2tbsp of black pepper is the perfect mashed potato condiment.

Then add some pork sausages and peas and you have yourself the good old English dinner of Bangers and Mash. Accompany with a cup of builders tea for the authentic experience. Maybe a slice of buttered white bread too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

RandomPaul, I'm going to give you an easy recipe for Pesto if you fancy trying to make your own (and you have access to the ingredients and a food processor)
Put the leaves of a really big bunch of basil (the more you have the better the flavour and colour of the pesto will be) 50g of fresh parmesan cheese, 50g of blanched almonds, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a peeled clove oif garlic and the juice of a lemon into a food processor and blend! that's it, add a bit of water if you want it looser. Also save some of the starchy water that you cook the gnocchi in and when you mix the gnocchi and pesto together if it needs a little loosening you can add some of that.

As for your chicken thighs you could flatten them out (bashing them between baking paper with a rolling pin to a uniform thickness if needed) season with salt and pepper then add some flavours such as a sprinkle of fennel seeds and rosemary before panfrying in some oil or baking in an oven. Chuck some whole unpeeled garlic cloves in the pan too to roast them then squeeze them out of their skins when soft to eat with the chicken.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

When I make my lamb vindaloo I use diced lamb leg meat and it cooks for about an hour on a very low heat. I do marinade it in the sauce for most of the day though. I then drain the sauce off the meat and fry the lamb in small batches in the pot before it all goes back in to simmer.
I would say your curry needs more cooking time to tenderise.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK, my partner has come home from work with 4 Scotch Bonnet chilies that a workmate was handing out.
We love spicy food, so ideas as to what we could do with them. Maybe a sauce we could make or a curry or something.
Give me your ideas please!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lime person, make Nuoc Cham.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hyperlynx posted:

I've recently started trying Thai fish sauce. It tastes good, but it smells absolutely awful and I've noticed I often feel nauseous after eating something with it in. Does that mean I've got a bad batch of it? Or does my digestive system just need to harden the gently caress up?

How much are you actually using? It's usually used as a condiment and in fairly small quantities. Like a tablespoon or two at a time in a sauce, it's not something you use in large quantities in a single dish. It's a pretty intense flavour on its own.
Do you have issues after eating any other fish products?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My parents brought me 2 lb of black raspberries that are about two days from being bad. I'm going to make either a crumble or pie with some. I want to make a reduction or glaze and cook some meat with it too. Suggestions on cut and type?

Venison goes beautifully with raspberries if you can get it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You need a good granite pestle and mortar to make pastes and sauces. Thai food is nothing without the pastes and sauces being pounded by hand.

To add to the list above,

Dried shrimps and shrimp paste
Thai birds eye chilies
Palm sugar
For a real project you can make your own coconut milk from a coconut rather than using a can.

Australia loves Thai food, so for a western view of Thai food you could check out Aussie chefs like David Thompson from Long Chim.

Helith fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 7, 2017

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The only Isaan dish I know and cook is Larb and I make the Laos/Cambodian version with fish sauce and lime juice rather than the Thai version. Still when I have time I could post the recipe for you tomorrow if you want.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes please, I love larb in all its forms.

OK, here's the larb recipe I use. All measures are in metric. Ingredient names are Aussie.
I make it with chicken but you can use any minced meat really like beef, pork or turkey.

To start with you need to make roasted rice powder.
If you can get Thai roasted chili powder then congratulations and use that (it's not easy to find outside Thailand!) more likely you'll need to use a mix of chili powder and chili flakes.
Place 1 tbsp of uncooked white or brown rice in a dry frying pan and heat over medium heat tossing it around until white rice has gone chalky white and light brown on the edges. Brown rice will begin to smell nutty and toasted when it's ready. Should take a couple of minutes. Then add a tsp of chili powder and a tsp of chili flakes and toss in the pan for about 30 seconds.
Obviously the amount and strength of chili powder and flakes used is going to determine how hot your larb ends up, You can use less of them, so adjust to your preference.
Don't stick your head over the pan as you've just made a chili bomb!
Put the rice and chili into a mortar and pestle and grind it to powder. Takes effort, but Thai food always involves a workout with a pestle and mortar!

Next heat a dry frying pan over high heat and put 1kg of chicken mince in with 1/2 cup water. Cook it through, breaking it up and stirring until it's cooked and ALL the moisture is evaporated. You'll have soggy larb otherwise. The meat shouldn't brown either. Takes about 10 minutes usually.

When your meat is ready put it in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup of fish sauce and 2tsp of caster sugar. Mix it all together and let it cool down .

When it's cool add in:
1/2 cup lime juice
1 red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
3 spring onions trimmed and finely chopped
1 cup of mint leaves, loosely torn up
2 cups of coriander (cilantro) leaves
and the roasted rice powder you made earlier.
Mix it all up and that's your Larb.

Serve it with the leaves of a baby cos lettuce, sliced Lebanese cucumber, trimmed raw green beans and sliced chillies.
I generally make some rice to go with it as well.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Papes posted:

Is there a vegetarian thread? I saw a vegan thread but that's all I could find. If not, does anyone have any goon approved resources to get tasty vegetarian recipes? I'm trying to shift my diet from the typical American diet to more of a 'meat is a sometimes food' but I don't really know how to prepare vegetables outside of roasting/sauteing/grilling them or basic soups/salads. I know seriouseats has a pretty good variety of recipes but I'd like to have a few books or websites to look through.

Indian food is the answer for you here. Lots and lots of great vegetarian dishes with lots and lots of flavour.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Does anyone have a go to recipe for chicken liver pate? Never made it before but we usually eat it at Christmas so fancied having a go at making my own.
Bonus points if the measures are in metric! (Not essential!)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That looks perfect, thanks. I like that series of recipes from the Guardian, distilling lots of them down into one that works is a good idea.

Also cups are ok as long as you're not baking. gently caress them for baking, you need precision, but they are useful for liquid measures or for ingredients where you don't need precision, like 'add 1/2 cup of peas' works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rythe posted:

I'm putting together a eating challenge for a Christmas party, consisting of military members and their spouses and the prize is going to be a Playstation 4.

I'm am planning 7 rounds with varying odd and challenging foods each person needs to eat and the last person to finish per round doesn't go on. I'm thinking a big dog biscuit for round 1 and a whole jalapeño as the final round.

I need help coming up with other ideas and I figured you amazing food nerds would help me with some crazy food ideas that I can hopefully get on amazon or even local to Raleigh, NC area.

How about doing something with Vegemite or Marmite? I’m guessing you and your guests are American so are unused to the salty goodness of this heavenly spread. Maybe ask them to eat a certain amount or for a set time or see who can empty a small jar of it?