Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vigilante Banana posted:

Awesome, thank you. And then can I just freeze it until I want to use it, or should I use it right away?

If you've got a pressure canner, I'd go that route, otherwise it should freeze alright in a freezer bag if you get all the air out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So. I've got ~2lbs of fresh red habeneros out of my garden, and I'm trying to decide how to preserve 'em, since they're too drat hot to eat in bulk.

I was thinking of pickling them, but it's been a long time since I last pickled anything. I've looked up the proper vinegar ratios, but I'm stumped as to what would make good pickling spices for hot peppers.

Throwing a shot in the dark here based on what I remember and have in the spice cupboard, how does this sound?

mustard seed
black peppercorn
whole clove
whole allspice
juniper berry
dill seed
dried ginger
bay leaf

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Make proper cream of mushroom soup. Use leftovers to make cassarole for irony purposes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, just beat the poo poo out of it. I usually warm the butter up a little, you don't want it hot but enough that it's flexible. Then beat until it's not gritty, it'll feel kind of like cake frosting. I think it is basically just butter frosting at that point. I usually use a good solid fork to do it.

Yeah, you're essentially making simple buttercream frosting with the wrong sugar. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The SARS Volta posted:

I have 2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef left over from Saturday evening, and I don't want to grill hamburgers because it's like 100 F outside.

Thinking meatloaf. Not particularly enamored with the recipes in the GWS wiki.

Help me out, amigos.

Meat, a couple eggs, salt, pepper, italian spices if you like. Mush all of the above together, add breadcrumbs or crushed crackers until you get a consistency you like. I like to add chopped onion and green pepper and a little mustard or bbq sauce. Slap it in a baking dish of whatever size fits.

Bake at 350 until the meat thermometer says it's safe to eat, turning at some point and probably pouring off some grease if it's 80/20. Basting the top with bbq sauce 10 minutes or so before it's done is nice.

You can change that however you want, the main thing is meat, eggs, breadcrumb.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I actually use whole canned tomatoes for most everything all winter when they're out of season, because the hothouse ones suck.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Loopoo posted:

Cheers guys. Made a curry tonight and I decided not to use a nonstick pan, like I always use. Was so weird seeing fond, as nonstick never produced it. Felt so good scraping that poo poo up and deglazing it. Making bolognese tomorrow and can't wait to deglaze the poo poo out of it with red wine.

I've been cooking from scratch a lot lately, and I really am enjoying it. Sometimes the food doesn't turn out the best, cause people who upload the recipes have different tastes to my own, but 80% of the time I'm left with a delicious dinner and can't complain. Gonna start branching out more into baking / desserts, I'm gonna tackle making the strudel from Inglorious Basterds.

I just hate how much mess it creates. Gotta wipe down all the countertops / stove after cooking and clean all the pans / utensils. Blah.

Pastry is the love and the life.

If you want a primer in baking, I can't recommend Rose Beranbaum enough. Her books are gooood.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Takeaways : filter while hot, don't use a meltable plastic or cold glass container.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

al-azad posted:

When I was on a fiber kick I tried steel cut oats because it was in a fancy, shiny can and Quaker Oats is just mush to me. Steel cut oatmeal is the most delicious thing with a pleasantly nutty aftertaste and satisfying bite and it's better + more filling than flat rolled or instant cook.

They work great as a savory side, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Those look like words, but I just can't parse them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Depends on how I'm doing 'em. On the grill I want a thicker burg so I can get some char on it but still be mid-rare and juicy in the middle.

I have a huge weakness for thin flat-top style 'fried in grease' crispy burgs, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scientastic posted:

We baked potatoes yesterday, but weren't hungry enough to eat them all, and now I have a couple of cold baked potatoes in the fridge... Any good things I can do with them?

Dice or slice 'em and make homefries.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Suppose it fits for KC style.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 3, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's just the Protein/Starch/Veggie trifecta, Hakimashou. Risotto or grits is trendy right now, but last century it would have been steak/fish/chicken, baked potato, and a veg. Soup, salad, and dessert courses vary.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I fully admit, I'm a heathen. I don't really -like- fine dining. I'd much rather be eating ribs off of butcher paper in a shack by the highway somewhere in south Texas, or Memphis, or hell in a pinch Kansas City.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That Works posted:

Sometimes this thread is rage inducing.

We should work on limiting that. Chill out folks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Measure breadcrumbs in meatloaf?

What is this strange thing?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rice and peas is another option.

Just going to lift the recipe I use from it's source :

Ingredients
1 can (19oz) Kidney beans, including liquid
1 can (14 oz) Coconut milk
Water (approx 1-2/3 cups)
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Small onion or 2 stalks scallion, chopped
1 tsp Dried thyme
1½ to 2 tsp Salt, to taste
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 cups Long grain rice (rinsed and drained)

Method
1. Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and
add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid
2. Add liquid, beans, garlic, chopped onion and thyme to large pot
3. Add salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Add rice and boil on High for 2 minutes.
5. Turn heat to Low, and cook covered until all water is absorbed (about 15 to 20 min).
6. Fluff with fork before serving.
Makes 8 Servings

It doesn't mention it here, but I usually put a couple habeneros (a single scotch bonnet is traditional) on top when you turn the heat down to low, and remove before serving.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rice and Peas. It's good poo poo, one of my staples. Recipe's a page or so back.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Doctor posted:

I kind of thought that might be the case. I would really like to hear from people what their favourite meat combos are. I haven't been grinding at home for long and it's hard to know what really separates a good burger from a great burger. Even seriouseats has recipes for fancy-pants dry-aged all prime rib burgers.

e: found this! http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

Just use chuck. Prime's going to be a waste of good meat that's better prepared otherwise. Your goal (for a medium-cooked burger) is about a 70/30 fat ratio, and a medium grind. If you like a more rare burger, use less fat so you don't have unrendered fat in the final product. I use 85/15 for most of my burgers, because I like them on the rare side.

If you want to be a real rear end in a top hat, grind 70% chuck 30% bacon, using something that isn't super-strongly smoked. Top with sharp cheddar and granny smith apple slices instead of pickles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Every generic 'fusion' menu since the late 1990's?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Most commercial jams need to be refrigerated once opened. Especially ones like the one posted, as I would bet that 1/3 less sugar is due to using some artificial sweeteners. Part of why jams are a good way of storing fruit historically is because the high sugar content inhibits bacterial growth. That doesn't really work for artificially sweetened jellies and jams. It also doesn't stop fungi, so eventually any opened jam will mold, no matter the sugar content.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Turnovers.

You don't get much simpler than 'cut a square of puff pastry, put something sweet or savory in, seal and bake'.

Alternatively, make dutch letters but beware that you will then forever be eating dutch letters.

Filling :

8oz almond paste
1 egg white
1/2c granulated sugar
1/2c packed brown sugar

Cream together until fluffy enough to pipe, but still fairly firm. Shove into pastry bag with a large round tip for easiest use.

Roll out your puff pastry dough to about 12 x 10. Cut into 2 1/2 x 10 strips. Pipe a line of filling down the middle, then brush one edge with egg wash, fold the strip over the filling, and pinch to seal. Roll the closed tube on a lightly floured surface briefly to round it out evenly, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet seam side down, shaping into an S. Brush with egg wash, then sprinke with sanding sugar.

Bake @375 for 20-25 minutes until golden and flaky. Let cool, jam in your face.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

wormil posted:

Same. Did it today with a pot of ham & bean soup.

I wouldn't even hesitate to eat it.

Yeah, I wouldn't serve it in a restaurant, but I'd definitely eat it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

:same:

And also the case for everyone that I know who has a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Is there a more perfect pan?

Yeah, the 12", because it means more crispy crust-bits on my cornbread than the deeper cake I get in a 10". :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It fell to archives, but feel free to make a new one happen!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Simple Green is also really good at stripping paint, which isn't mentioned nearly enough. I wish I had known that before I tried to degrease my stove hood.

Simple Green is what I use to strip acrylics off of models, so yes, it's a bit paint unfriendly. Shouldn't be taking enamel off of a hood, though, unless your hood's been repainted with something that's not heat safe!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why are you supposed to cut Chicago deep dish with a serrated knife instead of a pizza roller?

Because a pizza cutter can't get into the sharp corners of a deep dish casserole pan. Any Chicago-style pizza that can stand upright outside the pan may not be deep enough.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rgocs posted:

Using properly prepared tofu instead of chicken in a stir fry has worked fine for me so far. Then again, I am limited by the BTUs in my electric stove, so I guess it is a failed stir fry to begin with.

Tofu stir fry is a thing all on its own, though.

Honestly, pretty much anything you can chop fine enough is A-okay for stir fry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Knock it off with the racial insults. I don't care which way they're pointed.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Actual food discussion content!

Yes, you absolutely can make tofu work in chili, but that's one application where I have a strong preference for TVP. For me, it's just a better texture in chili, but I suppose that depends on how chunky you like your chili.

I'm curious, how do you get chili right with TVP? I like a chunkier chili, but the mouthfeel would be off without some fat in there, and I can't imagine olive oil giving the same texture without messing up the flavor.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

Sorry, I meant coconut flavored icing. Like for drizzling over biscotti. I'm not much of a baker so I don't even know if icing is the right term.

Yeah, you're not looking for icing at all, you're looking for coconut flavored white chocolate. Anne Whateley's suggestion above is probably the cheapest way to do it in a satisfactory way.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

vermin posted:

Just a basic sandwich bread recipe. I'm saving probably a minute of time, I know, but being able to just dump a ziplock in the stand mixer feels like it makes an easy recipe even easier. Eventually I'd just like to not have to buy bread.

You sound like a perfect candidate for fridge bread. Recipe makes a loose dough good for about four loaves, keeps in the fridge just fine baking every day or every other day. Flavor gets better after a couple-three days in the fridge too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's a good vegetable to have with meat loaf and potatoes?

Corn!

Although I'm a sucker for roasted carrots and parsnips with meatloaf, since my meatlof is pretty savory.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Truffle oil in mashed potatoes?

No.

Butter, milk/cream, salt, pepper.

That's it.

If you're really desperate to fancy them up, roasted garlic and rosemary.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chicken tenderloins on the grill overcook if you look away for a few seconds anyway. They're pretty thin, and low in fat content, so easy to dry out. I prefer to marinate and bake chicken given the choice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Eggs are basically never going to be good prepared in bulk for a week unless you're hard boiling them. I would suggest making egg salad if you really need to, otherwise making fried eggs, poached eggs, etc is really only good immediately after they're prepped in my experience.

Egg salad, deviled eggs, or quiche. Those are my only real go-tos for eggs that can be made up a little in advance, and even then it's not a -lot- in advance. Quiche freezes fine, but that's about it.

Otherwise, though, just take five minutes out of your day, scramble some eggs, and jam them in your pie hole. Toss some salsa on top when it gets boring.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

Is it possible to replace deep frying with baking, in general? I am (sad to say) terrified of deep frying and would much rather bake (or even just regular-fry) these mozzarella sticks I've got a recipe for. If the oil's supposed to be 325F, can I just bake them at 325F for similar results?

You can often get away with this for breaded meats, but the whole point of the technique for mozz sticks is to quickly cook the breading before the cheese absorbs enough heat to boil out. Shallow fry it in a pan if you can't bear to deep fry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rgocs posted:

I like quiche, but I find quiche usually looks like it would taste better than it does.

Make more quiche lorraine. I do mine with farmer's cheese, chopped crisp applewood-smoke bacon, and green onions. It's awesome, but you need to take some care to get air incorporated or it can get a bit dense.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Make up some roasted sichuan pepper salt.

1:1 peppercorns and kosher salt, toast over medium heat stirring constantly until it gets fragrant and the salt starts to turn golden. Let cool then grind and sift out any large bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a try-hard roast turkey recipe? I've been conscripted into thanksgiving duty and I want to make something nice.

Just spatchcock the fucker and remember to foil the breast before it overcooks?