Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'm making cherry pie for dessert for Christmas this year. I'd like to find something green to serve it with for a nice garish Christmas red/green combo plate.

I was planning to serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream-- maybe I could make some sort of lime-flavored sauce for the ice cream and use food dye to get it green? (Or mint sauce, but cherry-lime-vanilla seems more tasty to me than cherry-mint-vanilla.)

My other big idea is throw a pile of artfully place green candied cherries on the ice cream.

I'd also be open to skipping the ice cream if something else sufficiently green comes up. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

crushed pistachio or pistachio ice cream?

OH, duh. That should fit the bill nicely. Thanks!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Q8ee posted:

thanks so much! what other vegetables are great with just salt, pepper and olive oil? I'm trying to increase dietary fibre and get more vegetables in my diet as I've lately been feeling so lethargic due to eating badly.

the zucchini salad looks delicious, I'm definitely going to try that out. I'll also cut the zucchini into discs and pan fry them real fast to eat as well.

Sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, and eggplant are some other veggies that come out of simple roasting very well.

Cauliflower transforms into something magical. It seems to taste nothing like it does when raw.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Q8ee posted:

I'll pick some cauliflower and broccoli up tomorrow. Would aubergine not become wet and mushy from roasting? It seems like it'd turn out the same as courgettes in the oven would.

Speaking of aubergine, I need to ask my mum how she makes mutabal. I remember growing up and seeing her roast it on the stovetop, the smell it gave off was incredible.

Salt the aubergine first, let it sit for about 20m, then rinse the salt off and pat dry. That takes care of extra water and any bitterness. (Most eggplant doesn't seem to be bitter anymore on this side of the pond, but your mileage may vary. I've not salted and been fine.)

Aubergine turns creamy with roasting. It really shouldn't, but it comes out great if you leave enough room for it to roast on the pan, not steam itself. I usually end up doing cubes at 400F for 45m, stirring halfway.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
OOh, how could I forget about roasted beets! I hate the canned ones but love roasted beets.

This is a tasty recipe. Red beets, golden beets, fancy striped beets-- all work for this recipe. It uses the beet greens, too, so you get to feel extra healthy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I once made risotto with red wine (merlot?) because it was all I had in the house and I wasn't going out. It was purple, but tasty.

I like bold hearty wines for things like stew, and brighter wines for things like sauces, but really anything you'd drink is going to work out OK probably.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Knockknees posted:

Thanks for the mushroom advice, all. My mushrooms came out good for the first time ever. On the other hand my banh Xeo were a disaster as the first one immediately stuck all over the bottom of the pan, ruining my ability and confidence to quickly make the rest. Fortunately I had French bread on standby and was able to rework all the fillings into banh mi instead. The mangled crepe scrapings tasted good at least.

I still have the batter for the crepes — maybe I’ll try more oil? Everything I’ve read said it should be high heat so I don’t think being too got was the problem....

I've found I have better luck with crêpes with a bit higher than medium heat and lots of butter in the pan. I'm just not quick enough to get the crêpe off the pan at the right moment to keep it from sticking if it's on what my range thinks is high.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Hawgh posted:

What's the DL on sweet potato rinds? Nutritious, delicious or borderline edible?

Planning to slice, dice and oven roast them for lunchboxes.

So some spice recommendations would also be nice.

I always leave the skins on sweet potatoes. Also see this for roasting-- it gives the most delicious sweet potatoes. I don't sweeten them at all, though, I usually just leave them plain with oil & salt. If I want flavor I go with crushed rosemary (crush it yourself-- it's so much better). I'd give you a measurement on the rosemary, but it's "enough to give each piece some rosemary."

(Also Target's Archer Farms brand has cubed roasted frozen sweet potatoes and they're pretty alright when dressed up with some butter and rosemary. Texture is off, of course, but since it cooks in 6 minutes I'll forgive it on hot summer days.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Big Centipede posted:

I just had dental surgery and went be able to eat solid food for a while. I need some smooth or semi-smooth soup recipes. I have an immersion blender I've never used.

Crockpot or stove top: Pumpkin Curry Soup

28oz of plain canned pumpkin
4C chicken or vegetable broth
1/3C honey
1TBS curry powder (more or less to taste)

Stir everything & heat through. Swirl some heavy whipping cream in the bowl when you serve it.

It is also delicious cold and one of my favorite summer soups. It should be good when chilled if you are worries about breaking up any clots.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Would something like these no bake date treats freeze decently? Made them to weeks ago with some added peanut butter and they were fantastic, but they took a large amount of effort because I used an immersion blender instead of a food processor.

If they freeze decently enough I may just borrow a friend's food processor and make a fffffffffuck ton of them then freeze most.

They look like they'd freeze fine, yes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

legendof posted:

I have a new stupid question. How/where do I buy a sieve that isn't fine mesh? I want something that will filter raspberry seeds or things that size out without being impossibly slow to push lemon curd or things that thickness through. Something in between a fine mesh sieve and a colander.

I can't even figure out what term to search to find such a thing - no one seems to use the phrase "medium mesh" or "coarse mesh", neither of which sound right anyway.

Try Walmart. I got a cheapie mesh strainer that would be about right for that there. The nicer ones from Oxo are not what you want, you want whatever the Walmart brand is (Mainstays?). A dollar store might be a good try too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Make a fruit dish of some kind that won't suffer from a lack of added sugar.

Stick candles in a watermelon slice. Fruit puree, maybe frozen a bit into a slushy. Just not cake, as cake cannot serve your purpose.

(Watermelon was my favorite "cake" as a kid and I still do it as an adult. Icing melted when we were outside in high summer so we found a way to have fun with something that wouldn't melt.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

We recently hosted some friends from out of town, and as a thank you they gave us a bottle of wine. I do not drink and my girlfriend does not drink wine, so I plan to use it to cook. However, every recipe I know calls for a red or a dry white, and this is a semisweet white. Does anyone have some good ideally pescatarian recipes for such?

This is probably sacrilege but I will use literally any wine to make risotto. If it's sweeter maybe go with butternut squash cubes tossed in or something so the sweetness doesn't seem too out of place.

(Red wine risotto turns everything purple and it's really fun to eat!)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

C-Euro posted:

We got a head of romaine in our latest farm box and when my wife chopped off the base there was a milky white residue on the leaves where the cut was made. I don't think I've ever noticed that before and my wife is convinced that something is wrong with said romaine. Does it normally do that or should we be worried?

It's the sap. Perfectly safe to eat the lettuce. If you have enough sap you can even try to get high.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
If you can't wait, the Fleischmann's 30m Pizza Dough recipe will give you dough that is edible. (It's not as good as the stuff that rises for like an hour or so, but it will do in a pinch.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I accidentally bought too much gruyere. What's an easy way to use up gruyere?

French onion soup (or just about any savory soup), fondue if you have some other cheeses about, quiche, melty-cheese-type sandwiches/cheeseburgers, put it on garlic bread, potatoes au gratin, breakfast strata (not the fancy ones, though you could, I'm talking about the "tear up chunks of French bread" kind, sub it in for cheddar), cheese plate + friends to help you eat it.

I love gruyere, especially the really aged stuff. I'll grate it on anything that looks like it could use some cheese.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

What else is good to do lazy pickles? I've done beets, radishes, cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, beans. Anything unusual vegetables?

Pickled okra! Not unusual where I'm from, but it's not in your list.

Yellow squash is good pickled too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Anyone have any tips for savory oatmeals? Wanting to incorporate more into my diet as a I have an aversion to eggs (got very very ill when I was a kid. I can make myself eat them but I don't find them very enjoyable and would rather eat other things) and am not much of one for sweets. I'd love to make some batches and freeze them. I'm thinking cooking oats in chicken broth and spices, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and spinach. I think a corn, squash, pea or bean and tomato could be good as well, maybe with the veggies cooked in and a tomato jam or salsa type thing poured on top.

What have you tried? My partner doesn't care for cilantro (but I do, so dishes where I can leave it on the side or add to a salsa poured on top, great.) and I am not a huge horseradish fan, but we eat everything else, so all is welcome.

This is probably way less fancy than you were wanting but I will sometimes make steel cut oats with water, throw in a tbs or so of low sodium soy sauce in each bowl, and add in some freeze dried scallions.

Natural peanut butter (the kind that's just peanuts and salt) is really good too. Peanut butter without sugar has a rich taste that works well with oats. (If you ever want a sweet version of this, add in a spoon of chocolate chips to get no-bake cookie oatmeal!)

Others will have some fancier ideas but these low-effort ones hit the spot when I can't stand sugar.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Favorite chicken marinades that don't rely on balsamic vinegar or lots of mustard? My husband doesn't like sour stuff. (Which meant more for me this week.)

The 3-2-1 yogurt citrus marinade going around has worked out really well-- lime was especially tasty. (1 C yogurt, 1 citrus fruit zested & juiced & the other sliced on the cooking chicken (so 2 citruses), 3 cloves minced garlic)

Open to all cuisine types.

I ate Italian dressing marinated chicken every week in college so I'm OK never eating that again.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Maybe teriyaki or harissa or adobo or chipotle or a dry rub or skip the marinades in general and do something like 40 clove chicken or thee cup chicken or chicken tinga

Lots of good promise there, though he also didn't like the adobo the time I made it (vinegar is too much for him). Teriyaki is such an obvious one!

Leavemywife posted:

I usually do a marinade of

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce (not Kikkoman, it's too salty)
2 tbsp lemon juice

Then whatever spices you like. I usually use a tablespoon of each, typically onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, maybe some cumin, then some salt and pepper. Whisk it all together nice and good, then let your chicken marinade overnight.

It's nothing fancy and probably pretty basic to most people interested in cooking, but I'll be damned if me and my family don't enjoy it.

Nothing fancy is just fine, I'm the poster who just told someone to put soy sauce and freeze dried scallions in their oatmeal

Your recipe does sound quite nice!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

SubG posted:

As an aside: balsamic vinegar really shouldn't be sour the way most vinegars are. Without getting into the whole messy nonsense involving balsamic certification, the traditional stuff is made from grape must and is rich and slightly sweet. A lot of stuff sold as balsamic vinegar in the US is actually just distilled vinegar with a little balsamic vinegar-ish flavouring. Not that I'm trying to talk you into using balsamic after all, just calling it out because a lot of people are unaware that there are multiple things that are quite different from each other all going by the same name.

Anyway, one of my favourite approaches to chicken is to not marinade at all, just cover the skin with a lot of salt and a little pepper, rosemary in the cavity (or under the fabricated parts if you're not using a whole chicken), roast at high heat until the skin is crisped up, when it's done dump the rosemary into to drippings, swirl it around a bit and then baste the skin with the drippings. Serve with pommes persillade or something simple like that, maybe a salad of bitter greens or other simple salad.

Yeah, I have some decent balsamic vinegar, but I just spaced and used the words my husband does to describe vinegary tastes. He also thinks mustard is sour so there's no accounting for his taste buds!

Rosemary with chicken is one of the best things.

Oooh, this looks very nice. Thanks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What is the alternative to teflon for non-stick skillets?

I have a ceramic pan, but it feels like the non-stick has worn off after a year of use. Should I just get a higher quality ceramic pan?

e: and I do have cast iron, which has some non-sick qualities, but it is no where near what teflon is.

Nothing is anywhere near Teflon. For me it goes Teflon > well-seasoned cast iron > new ceramic > stainless with a poo poo ton of butter

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bagheera posted:

Banana recipes. The food bank I volunteer at got a shipment of bananas that's over ripe. They're not black or putrid, but many of the skins are split open. We can't give the opened ones to our customers, so I offered to take a bunch of them.

Now I have a bunch of peeled, slightly brown bananas that I have to use up today.

Favorite banana bread recipe? Homemade pudding with bananas? Something more original? What do you suggest?

Banana ice cream! Slice bananas about an inch thick or less, freeze, put in blender. That's it. That's the entire recipe. Add other stuff in as you like, I'll add chocolate chips or coconut flakes to the mix and top with granola or strawberries and whipped cream.

The more bananas you have, the more ice cream you get. I don't have an exact banana to ice cream ratio in my head right now.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

El Jebus posted:

I need "golden Spurtle"/steel cut oats ideas. I've taken a liking to the steel cut oats setting on my zojirushi and I need ideas for what else to put in it for breakfast. Brown sugar and cinnamon? Raisins? Hell yeah. Done all that.

I could add some nuts. What else?

Peanut butter is delicious. I add chocolate chips in sometimes too for a no-bake cookie taste.

Craisins and vanilla, strawberries and coconut flakes, apples and cinnamon.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wormil posted:

Which reminds me, my probe thermometer died. Thinking of buying a Thermopro, any good? On Good Eats Reloaded Alton Brown suggests a thermometer with a calibration certificate and throws out $20, but I don't think inexpensive ones come with certificates.

I have a Thermapen at work. I bought one for home use. I will never go back.

If you don't want to spend $85 on a thermometer, the Thermopop I got my pop works almost as quickly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wormil posted:

To clarify I need one for the oven or grill, sloppy wording on my part.

Thermoworks also makes oven probes like SubG mentioned. I have one and it's really good. The wire is nice and thick and the base is magnetic. Look for a sale to get one at a good price.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
It's cheating and probably will give you cancer but I've cooked turkeys in a Reynolds Oven Bag. They came out moist. Just have to open the bag near the end of the cooking time for the skin to brown some. It wasn't the best or quickest turkey, but it was moist!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

dreadmojo posted:

Hello goons, it's a crappy day here and I want to make a nice apple pie, can you point me at a good recipe?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/11/gooey-deep-dish-apple-pie-recipe.html

I use that one but add a tsp each ginger and nutmeg as well as upping the cinnamon to 2tsp. It works. Parcooking the apples helps it a lot.

If you just want easy pie, follow the recipe bit don't parcook the apples. It'll turn out a bit runny but still tasty.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Mason jar salads work really well too and most of the recipes only make 4 salads, so you get to have a treat day. Maybe take some of those for variety?

I used to keep them in the fridge at work and pull them an hour before I wanted to eat them so the oil could warm up. They should do fine in a cooler all day with an ice pack, especially a frozen soup ice pack.

I think my favorite was (starting at the bottom layer) balsamic vinaigrette, diced apples (nestled in the dressing so they don't brown), blue cheese, chopped pecans, and mixed greens. Taco/southwest ones are good too-- avocado & sour cream sauce, black beans, chicken if I remembered to cook it, roasted sweet potatoes (mine are usually steam-in-bag from Target), diced bell peppers, cabbage & carrot slaw. (Sometimes rices goes in the taco one.)

These were super popular a few years back so there are a ton of recipe collector blog posts so you can find ones that work for you. A good rule of thumb is dressing + veggies or fruit + grain/legume+ possible cheese + greens.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Anyone got any good recipe blog recommendations? Looking to add some more to my rotation, serious eats is running dry for me

I used to like The Kitchn but half the posts these days seem to be sponsored press releases about celebrity chefs. It has a pretty decent archive at least. The commentors are ruthless so it's easy to tell if a recipe is a keeper or not.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The time I roasted sweet potatoes in butter instead of oil was the time everyone raved about them at a potluck so :shrug:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

cyberia posted:

I'm trying to make some homemade jello using gelatin. The tin of gelatin says to use 2 teaspoons per 500ml of liquid while a handful of recipes I looked up online say to use 1.5 tablespoons per 500ml of liquid which is just over double the 'official' recommended amount.

I made a test batch last night using 2 teaspoons of gelatin and it has set but only barely. I want to make a couple of large batches (approx. 1500ml of liquid per batch) for Christmas desserts, does anyone have experience making their own jello and can recommend how much gelatin / liquid I should be using?

Can I just scale up from 500ml of liquid & 1.5tbsp of gelatin or do I need to add more / less gelatin as I add more liquid?

Add as much gelatin as you need to get the firmness you want. It should scale up just fine at whatever you decide is your preferred ratio.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Pizza Segregationist posted:

So I got an instant pot for Christmas and want to try it out. I got ingredients for the asparagus risotto recipe that came in the little instant pot recipe book, but I want to cut the amounts in half. Do I have to change the cook time as well? This is my first time using a pressure cooker

Your cook time should be the same.

We have a pressure cooker thread too! I'm on mobile or I'd link. There are some good blogs for recipes in it that will help a lot with getting to know the instant pot.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a decent webpage, app or similar that can give me cooking times and temperatures for various foods, mostly oven based? I'm bad at memorizing those types of things and googling tends to give me eight different answers, assuming I can find the info buried halfway down the page, between three different ads and a story about the author's childhood.

This is what I keep a good generic cookbook around for. Bittman, America's Test Kitchen, Joy of Cooking (one of the recent ones when the family got control of it again), whoever else you trust to make a decent general cookbook.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Cross posting myself from Inspect Your Gadgets. RECIPE DATABASE QUESTION

Paprika is probably closest to what you want. I think you're going to find that there isn't much around to import from ebooks-- you'll have to copy that stuff out by hand, probably.

If you've got some spare time on your hands and like coding, a database shouldn't be too hard to get started. Getting recipes from websites isn't too hard (see here). Importing from ebooks will definitely be trickier so that's why you don't see apps that do it. There's no standard cookbook recipe API, just the ebook formats and every book will structure their recipes a little differently. Maybe somebody's made a Caliber plug-in? Might be worthwhile cross-posting in Cavern of Cobol if you haven't yet.

effika fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 30, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
It all depends on what you're trying to do. Just add some non meat into your meal rotations? Go full-on meatless? Cut back just on red meat? Have some dietary restrictions to work around? Preferred cuisine?

My mom still cooks stuff out of her old Moosewood cookbook. A lot of the recipes can be found online for free these days (it's from the 70s after all) but check it out from your library to see if it fits in with your tastes.

I usually do the "filter by vegetarian" trick these days though. I am also not afraid to leave meat out entirely or sub in chickpeas/beans/mushrooms/tofu depending on the dish. Waldorf salad with chickpeas instead of chicken is now requested over the original in my house, for example.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

That Works posted:

Any of these you'd recommend to try 1st? I've only had potatoes as part of some kinds of curry and what not. It's good, but wanting to try to do something new with it. I shoulda maybe done NICSA - Potato instead of beans.

One of my favorites is aloo gobi.

Also give potatoes bhaji a try.

Edit: It's St Patrick's Day, how could I forget the colcannon and cottage pie I had at lunch?

effika fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 18, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can't speak to their ceylon cinnamon specfically, but Penzey's spices are legit.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ceylon-softstick-cinnamon/c-24/p-1338/pd-s

Seconding Penzeys. Sign up for their email list if you like discounts--they send them out all the time to move product quicker and they stack. Around black Friday I think I ordered 2 half cup jars and ended up with an extra 5 quarter cup jars of random things for free.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm trying to plan out dinner for tonight and the only idea I have right now is roasted curry carrots. What would be a good vegetarian main dish to add to this delicious side?

Kinda want to just eat a big plate of roasted carrots now...

Maybe some kind of chickpea-based dish? Something like couscous (or cauliflower rice) and chickpeas and roasted asparagus/fennel/etc for a salad-y main dish. Squeeze of lemon and some herbs in a vinaigrette. Add some blue or goat cheese crumbles.

BBQ tofu slices (put in some pita) also seem like it might work for this.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
This won't help your current situation, but if you are willing to change containers look for ones that are shallow instead of tall for ease of reheat in the oven. More surface area means less inner ice brick volume. Ziplocks/sous vide bags should be fine for that.

Or for instant pot reheating, just cover the container with foil and that way water won't get into it.

effika fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

LongSack posted:

Along this same theme, does anyone have a range hood that actually vents to the outside? And if so, how do you clean it? I’ve been in this house for 17 years, and am moderately concerned about grease buildup, but every company I talked to that cleans hoods only does it for commercial restaurants.

Maybe see if a chimney sweep or duct cleaning company will take a look?