Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

SlayVus posted:

Looks like Nvidia was finally able to get some stock out for Shield Tablets. They're re-releasing the tablet to the general public again and at a lower price point. However, they're not re-releasing the 32GB tablet.

The 16GB is available on their website for $199. http://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet/k1

Two caveats though
No included charger
No stylus holder anymore(No stylus included either)

Also no cables at all. Ehh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

SlayVus posted:

I never understood why they didn't just make external SD cards "just another storage device". Like, I understand that somethings need to go on main storage device. But why not just implement JBOD type storage for Android. Granted it makes the SD card more vital to operation of the device itself.

Because they fail, or people remove them. If people remove it and VITAL SYSTEM FILE was on it then you can't boot. At least it's better than the PS Vita where if you have external storage (which cost way too much) it turns off any internal storage. Why? Iunno.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Budgie posted:

You know what, when they asked for the fire hazard tablets back they only wanted the tablets. No charger or stylus, just the tablets.

Coincidence? :tinfoil:

The battery won't explode if you can't use it!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

smr posted:

I've been dicking around with a Nexus 9 to be my companion tablet for when I'm using my 6P as my daily driver phone. It's no iPad, but it's pretty serviceable. It would be much better, though, if there was a way to jack up the font sizes on apps that do not have an internal setting for that (looking at you, FB app). Is there a way to do this that anyone knows of? I do _not_ want to just increase the font size across the whole tablet, just in this app.

Thoughts?

use the tinfoil app and just make the font size bigger in the browser?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Stick100 posted:

I think we're in for some exciting news after E3 when Nintendo talks.
Nintendo has announced they are saying nothing about the NX this E3, in fact the only thing they are doing is "talking" (Re: Having a looping stream) about the Wii U(/NX, but not NX version) Zelda. It will also be playable but that's their only footprint. Here's hoping for cool portable news from I/O I guess?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Seem to have a weird bug with the Pixel C that I haven't had on my phone at all. When I would turn out a bluetooth audio output device (headset, speaker, etc) it doesn't hand off the audio to it's own speakers. I've gotten really use to turning off my headset and then hitting play on a youtube video to play something with the device speakers on my phone, but the Pixel C seems to just be silent. Anyone experience this? Reconnecting the device seems to make it work on the external just fine, but even if I pause and disconnect via the OS it seems to be silent after I hit play again. Closing the apps using audio and reopening them doesn't change anything either :ohdear:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I didn't realize there were so many people who voluntarily did not use Firefox on their various android devices. I can't even imagine life without ublock origin :sad:

I had Firefox installed in case I ever had a usecase for it, but I removed it on my tablet once the Search + B shortcut never saved that Chrome should be the default.

Speaking of issues, my audio issue seems to not exist anymore after installing Android N. I also updated two bug updates in a row last night and forgot to test :iiam:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Nvidia Shield is 8" and does LTE

Did LTE. You have to find a preowned one as the LTE model was discontinued. I picked one up at Swappa and it works really well, but I've heard a lot of issues with Wifi. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a small living space where I don't notice it.

minusX posted:

Speaking of issues, my audio issue seems to not exist anymore after installing Android N. I also updated two bug updates in a row last night and forgot to test :iiam:
This came back and apparently it was an issue with always on mic for Google Now and having the laptop sleep for >hour, the speaker would stop responding and BT still worked fine which is why I assumed it was related.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

I wonder if yours got the early update that was causing WiFi problems and got pulled?

Mine has been rock solid both on wifi and LTE using the ROW update (Since AT&T are dickbags) to Marshmallow.

Haven't had any of the aforementioned issues with performance. Chugging through HL2 without any problems or even getting warm.

I haven't personally had issues, I've just heard of people talk about it.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, there's probably another Shield Tablet coming out soon right? I wanted to pick one up, but it's sold out on Amazon, Best Buy, and Newegg's sites...
I got my LTE version from Swappa, but at this point waiting might be best.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Android Police is reporting that the new Shield has been cancelled.

Came here to post about it :negative:

They did say hey maybe it's another thing they were working on since the names don't line up but :(

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Hey this just came out A free VPN from Opera

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

From what I read it does not work on private networks, or networks where you need to login to a portal screen (IE the train network).

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

CapnBry posted:

Is there any sort of sticker or skin that I can put on the back of the Pixel C to give it like a rubberized feel? I don't want to move up to buying a whole case when all I want is just some gription. It looks like Skinomi is the only brand that makes any skins for the Pixel C, but I wouldn't mind just cutting and using a skin made for an iPad Pro if it had good grip to it.
So it's already "fixed" but get the keyboard and have it tilted up and it's great.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

My only issue with the Pixel C is the price, I know there is a developer discount
Was, for a long time. But they offered it for a while and now it's gone. So you're back at the $500 or $600 price range without a $129 keyboard (get the keyboard). What I find interesting is so many websites are doing new reviews with Nougat on the Pixel C to see if it's a better device now.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

LastInLine posted:

What I find interesting is that so many say it's still awful.

I think the real question is "What do you want out of this machine?" and it's failing for a lot of people. I wanted a mobile laptop like device that played hearthstone and some other android games well and it servers that purpose with insane battery.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Pixel C, maybe?

My Venue 8 is starting to be flaky and the wife wants something that can handle Marshmallow with more onboard storage, so I just bit the bullet on a Shield K1. Hopefully it'll meet our needs. And, of course, this means they'll announce something new soon (they won't, but that's okay because the Switch is coming out soon enough).

Edit: Yes, I know the Switch isn't an Android tablet. I'm mentioning it in passing.

They axed a thing that was coming after the Shield K1, most likely to focus on the switch. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/11/rumored-follow-nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-cancelled/

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Google is not going to release a tablet with an SD card slot.

B-b-but they just added support for using the SD cards as the whole HDD. :negative:

It's not a horrible thing, it just makes it a lot easier to invest in a device with less space since you can fix the issue later.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Tunga posted:

Pixel C is pretty great, though it was a little better value back when it was £100 off with the dev discount.
FYI there's a $100 discount for the 64 GB version currently. And $50 off the keyboard! (Not the folio one though :negative:)

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Magog posted:

No, because why should I have to janitor my device, furthermore
Install on first use, never deal with again doesn't seem janitorial to me. If it was like weekly sure

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

MikeJF posted:

You can do that in all android versions too, but text alone isn't all that useful when the rest of the UI is left small.

Anyone here got a Pixel C on N who could pop into Dev Options and set Smallest Width to 480 and take a shot of the result?

512(didn't notice it didn't go to 480) vs

Should've screenshotted the home screen before, forget the setup I had :(

On both I had the tablet horizontal.

minusX fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 25, 2017

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

My 2012 Nexus 7 seems to have died. I haven't used it for a couple of weeks, I grabbed it this morning because I'm going away for the weekend. Trying to charge it in work and it's not responding in any way. It's not showing the charging indicator or turning on, I left it plugged in (with 2 different cables connected to different sources), and nothing.

Not sure if there's anything else I can do to try to ressurect it... Any suggestions?

I've had this happen with phones, sometimes doing the button presses to put it into bootloader fixes it too.

Anyone have a recent link to how to get the play store on the Fire HD? I have a lot of older links.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Latest Shield tablet updates just came in for me; just the Android N November security patches, but I have to say, I'm kinda impressed nVidia's still updating a mid-2014 device regularly despite abandoning the tablet market.
The difference is they have their own store on the Shield series and they are still porting games over to play on all of them. They want to have users use it, so they'll have android secure to the point people trust it without using the resources to force old hardware to use a new OS that doesn't run great on it (without effort). So hopefully the Shield TV keeps selling well enough.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I've never had a tablet that hasn't killed WiFi when using Bluetooth audio yet, so it's kinda fell out of use with me.
Wait this is a thing? Never noticed it on the Pixel C.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

I haven't yet had the courage to download the play store from apkmirror, so I've taken to using adb to copy the apks I want off my phone and sideloading those. So far that seems to have worked without issue...
Can you not grab the app store apk from your phone the same way?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

butt dickus posted:

we're supposed to learn about the disappointing tablet that i'm going to buy anyway today, right?
https://store.google.com/product/pixel_tablet

$500, Comes with the speaker dock ($129 by itself) and no keyboard case or stylus, has chromecast built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Burn-in on modern OLED isn't really a thing unless you're like my 75 year old in-laws and run 100% brightness at all times with long screen time outs.
This but then they said they leave them running overnight so I'm less likely to parrot how it shouldn't happen as often