Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
How do the Warmachine factions actually balance out?
Are certain factions easier to pick up or are can you just pick one you think looks cool and spend your time with it?

Also, other than the battlegroup box, what are good ways to get into the hobby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I've been looking at The Retribution of Scryah and Khador mostly. I like both sets of models, still tryin to decide between them

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
So what would be a good jumping off point for Khador if I wanted to build a decent smaller force that could be built into something larger

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I like the model for Kommander Harkevich so I will probably try to go with him. He seems like he is well suited for jack heavy play styles, which is what I was thinking of going with initially.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Having now played a few games with my friends Khador army, I can safely say...

gently caress that, I bought Gunnbjorn and a Dire Troll bomber but I am unsure of what else I should get for a 15 point list.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I've been playing with my small Trollbloods force and am happy with them so far but seeing the Stormwall made me want to pick up a small Cygnar force as well.

Goddamn is this game addictive :gonk:
I have $150 in store credit at my FLGS and was wondering what I should get to build a decently competitive force. Was thinking of running eCaine or eNemo (jack heavy)

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I think the ultimate goal for me is to start a Cygnar force I can actually learn and play with.
Right now, my list of things to purchase (based on looking at a lot of stuff online) is as follows
eCaine
Squire or maybe Reinholdt
Ol' Rowdy
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages and maybe the UA
Strangeways
Boomhowlers

I think with that stuff I could build a decent 15 pt force and eventually work my way up to 35 and ultimately 50. I think it will also give me a solid core should I want to switch casters. May get a hunter or a Stormclad too

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Going to be trying out my Cygnar force tonight, here is the list as of right now. I Hope it is formatted correctly and everything as it is the first list I have put together myself.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cygnar
Casters: 1/1
Captain Allister Caine (*5 pts)
* Squire (2 pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 grunts)(6 pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2 pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9 pts)
Greygore Boomhowler and Co.(Leader and 5 grunts)(6 pts)
Captain Arlan Strangewayes (2 pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3 pts)

I could swap out the Squire and Journeyman Warcaster for Reinholdt and the Black 13. Still a little unsure on the exact strategy I should be using too. Probably put Boomhowler on one flank and the ATGM on the other with Rowdy and Strangewayes. Caine will probbly follow the ATGM until he can get a decent shot at the opposing warcaster.

Should I marshal Rowdy to Strangewayes or the ATGM Officer?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Verdugo posted:

I agree. Also it's in the typical "can't stand straight up, must pose it weird" Khador style, which I hate.

It looks like it is standing up straight to me, I don't think the pose is all that bad. Not Behemoth bad at least.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I've been playing Cygnar for a while now and have a decent grasp of the rules. I currently mostly run eHaley, eCaine and Nemo2 with varying amounts of success.
eHaley feels like cheating to be honest...

I have some extra cash and am considering taking up Menoth. No one in my current group plays them so I don't really have anyone to ask / haven't seen what they are capable of. What casters are best for people new to the faction and what models should I be looking at?
So far Chorus, Reckoner and the book are all on my list of must haves and I am thinking of picking up pSevvy or pKreoss, maybe the battlebox.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

General Adept Nemo (*6pts)
* Charger (4pts)
* Firefly (5pts)
* Hammersmith (8pts)
* Stormclad (10pts)
* Thunderhead (12pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
Stormblade Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard (3pts)
Stormsmith Stormcaller (1pts)

Really, with his feat eNemo's 'jack allotment is "however many you want".

Honestly, I kind of feel like eNemo's feat is a trap. Focus Matrix rewards you for taking a lot of jacks, but those jacks seem like they would be useless for the majority of the game.
I do want to try running him with the battle engine though

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I would love to see the cost of trenchers lowered at some point in the near future.
Why would I pay 10 points for Trenchers when I could pay 9 for Boomhowlers or 8 points for Forgeguard?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Is the PoM battlegroup box worth it? pKreoss is definitely a caster I want to purchase but I don't exactly know how useful the jacks in the box are.
If I get the battlegroup box I will probably go with pKreoss the 3 jacks, minimum choir and a vassal

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

If you can, you might want to get the Menoth half of the two-player box. The Cinerators aren't good but the Vanquisher is awesome and maybe you can negotiate your way into the kickass miniature rulebook. If not, you still have five heavy infantry to paint.

It looks like the only difference between the 2 player box and the battlegroup is the cinerators. I already have the Prime Mk2 book and I'm familiar with the game, been playing Cygnar for a while now.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
How useful is the Templar? I'm almost done building the Vanquisher and the Crusader that come in the 2 player box and I am considering using magnets so I can swap from one to the other heavy variants.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Hey Aberrant, I'd be interested in the Menoth dice if you want to sell them.
Drop me a line at dasangrygerman(at)hotmail.com

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Is there a list anywhere of the different tier lists that have been published in NQ and the books?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Quick rules question for Menoth:
With the choir, each member has to sing the same hymn, but can each member target a different warjack?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

LordAba posted:

I picked up the heavy warjack (devastator, demolished, spriggan) kit, and I'm debating in what to finally make it into. I have a small Karchev force that I mostly have just to paint up, but I want it to be somewhat playable as well.

I've used magnets in every heavy warjack kit I've gotten to good effect. It isn't all that hard for Cygnar or Menoth and there are a lot of tutorials online about doing it.
Why choose one warjack when you can have all 3 available to you?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
None of the casters I typically run have Arcane Shield (eHaley, eCaine, Siege) so Jr. is almost auto-include in most of my games.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Is it wrong that the new faction makes me want to play my old faction more?
Goddamn do I love me some Cygnar.....
Menoth is fun too I guess

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I've been struggling with my list, trying to figure out which was more important, taking Sword Knights to make a bit of a tarwall, or using a Hunter marshalled by the ATGM officer. Then I realized: Why not take them both and drop Black 13th! That left me with this:

Captain Allister Caine (*5pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Hunter (6pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Sword Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

I rather think it looks fun, Jr makes the sword knights 10 models at 13/19, [and later arm21 forgies]. The downside is that I lose Gorman and/or eEiryss, both of which are pretty useful. It's basically stripping out the support for more meat. Thoughts? (I know that sword knights aren't the preferred tarpit, but they're the ones I like the models best for)

I've been playing a lot of eCaine lately too. Why not drop the hunter to pick up some support pieces? Aiyanna and Holt / Gorman / Eiryss work so well with him. What are your plans for skew lists (like the xerxis one mentioned earlier)?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Luebbi posted:

Stryker
- Ol' Rowdy
Journeyman Warcaster
Arcane Tempest Gunmages
-UA
-Hunter
Black 13th
Stormsmith Stormcaller

How bad is it?

Looks pretty good to me though it might be worth it to drop Rowdy down to a regular Ironclad and pick up a squire. Depends on how you intend to play the list I guess.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Today was a sad day, while using the bathroom someone made off with the box I had my Menoth figures in. Store owner felt bad and is offering me a pretty heavy discount on buying new models though which leaves me with a decision to make.

Should I rebuy my menoth stuff or should I start Khador?

Can anyone give me a list of the sort of essentials to starting Khador?
I'm leaning toward pButcher and pIrusk as my first 2 casters and will probably also get Kayzay, Widowmakers and a WGDS but I am unsure on jacks. Maybe a Spriggan and a Kodiak but probably not going to get the Behemoth yet.

edit: I just bought a Khador battlebox for next to nothing so I guess WGDS is next on the list

Nightwatcher fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 14, 2013

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

The insulting thing about the Mammoth isn't that it's good, it's just how much better it is than the other Gargs.

For Stormwall, it's invalidated every heavy Warjack in the faction. Why bother taking Ol Rowdy/Stormclad and a Defender, when you get that, plus an extra Defender, a Cyclone AND the Stormpods for free.

There are casters in Cygnar that don't benefit as much from the Stormwall. Yes it makes Darius playable and yes it is brutal with eHaley, but I would still rather run Rowdy with my eCaine and Stryker lists. The Cyclone and Defender still see a lot of use in my area when marshaled to ATGM as well.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I finished my Khador battle box today, probably going to get some Widowmakers next to bring it up to 15
Sorscha

Juggernaut

Destroyer

Have to finish the bases and seal them but I am pretty happy with them so far.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Cross-posting this here from the painting thread. Painted my way from battle box to a little over 25 points. Hows it look?

I darkened the yellow a bit and used some shading as the yellow was a bit bright on the jacks for my taste.

All the Russians

edit: extremely loving happy with Harkevitch.

I really like the Harkevich. Just finished the battlebox myself and am ready to stop on people for the motherland.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Chance II posted:

God I hope nobody brings a Colossal. Two guys in the league are vet players that are just using their second (or tertiary) army to have something new so I'm a little worried about them. Particularly the Cygnar player because I know he has two Stormwalls.

Played 3 games tonight with my Khador group

Game 1:
pSorscha, Juggernaut and a Destroyer vs. pMorghoul, Titan Sentry, Cyclops Shaman and a Willbreaker
Game ended with me 1 shotting Morghoul with the Destroyer on turn 2.

Game 2:
pSorscha, Juggernaut and a Destroyer vs. pMorghoul, Titan Sentry, Cyclops Shaman and a Willbreaker
Attempted to blow Morghoul away again, transfered to the shaman killing it. Sentry wrecked the Juggernaut. Turn 3 the Sentry and Destroyer traded blows while Sorscha charged. transfered damage to the Sentry killing it. Rest of my attacks brough Morghoul down to 6. Turn 4 Morghoul cut for 5 and finished off Sorscha with his last attack. It was a really close game and I had a lot of fun.

Game 3:
pSorscha, Juggernaut and a Destroyer vs. Kara Sloan and a Stormwall
This game was a pain in the rear end. Stormwall destroyed my jacks in 2 turns but he left his caster out of position and I managed to get a charge off. He clearly was not expecting the Wind Rush+ Boundless Charge combo. Popped my feat and dropped Kara with no problems.

All in all 3 good games. Glad I won the game vs Cygnar because gently caress Stormwall vs. Battlebox games.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

gilljoy posted:

ahh I really can't decide what to get for my 25 pt menoth,

Zealots with UA + Vassal or Errants with Ua

Keeping in mind that I'm going to be switching to eKreoss or Amon in week 4 of the journeyman what would you's recommend?

I honestly would not switch to Amon, almost everyone considers him terrible. Errants and Zealots are both awesome. eKreoss + errants is fantastic

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

gilljoy posted:

but he is an awesome model :( that makes me sad

It makes everyone sad, his model is awesome.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

What kind of melee infantry does Siege like to have at the 35/50 point levels? Tarpit stuff like Boomhowlers?

Siege doesn't do much for infantry outisde of his feat. Explosivo is awesome on ATGM and Foxhole can make stuff like Boomhowlers even harder to deal with, but he really shines with almost any choice you could make. Forgeguard are awesome with him too

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Anyone have any experience with Long Gunners, thinking about getting a unit + UA soon. Seems like they would be awesome with Siege, pHaley or pStriker

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
So, I am seriously thinking about buying the units I need to run this list:
System: Warmachine
Faction: Cygnar
Casters: 1/1
Lord Commander Stryker (*6pts)
* Lancer (6pts)
* Stormwall (19pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
* Sword Knight Officer & Standard (2pts)
Archduke Alain Runewood (3pts)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

Any comments? The list is built around alpha striking with the feat and abusing positive charge and flanking with the knights.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
First in league this season!

Ended up playing a game against Khador as a tie breaker.
Scenario was Walk Softly, probably my least favorite one from Anomaly.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Our first place dude ran away with it after he half-rear end painted ~100 points of Legion to the bare minimum quality in like, a week. Follows the rules, but still kind of stinks for all the people who didn't win. (Not me, I wasn't in the running with how few games I can get in.)

The guy I played against got most of his points from painting. Mine were mostly from playing / schematics. Did anyone check what the guy actually painted? You can only earn points for each category 3 times

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I'm between pLylith and pVayl for this month. Maybe Saeryn?

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

EAThief posted:

I'm thinking about starting up a Cygnar army. No one around here plays Cygnar and the factions aesthetics have really grown on me over time. I don't know much about the faction, at least not till my book gets here, so I turned to the wider internet for information and hooooooo boy that was a mistake. It appears that every Cygnar player thinks that the faction is either amazing with nothing wrong with it or they think that there is nothing good in faction except for a few casters and Stormwall. I'm so confused :v:

Cygnar is a fun faction. The casters are great and the faction has a lot of neat jacks. The faction as a whole is very matchup dependent however and often relies on mercenaries to fill in gaps the basic infantry is too specialized to handle.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Blompkin posted:

Sounds good to me. I wasn't sure about the 3rd jack. I think I'll go with the stormguard, since they benefit a lot from Siege. Let me update the list:

Siege

Defender
Ironclad

Min Stormguard
Black 13th

JWC
Reinholdt

Thanks for the help!

Siege is an awesome caster but I am not the biggest fan of Stormguard. For the same points you could take min Boomhowlers and Boomhowlers are awesome.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Is Lylyth2 with 3 Ravagores and a max unit of Archers & UA a legitimate list? Or is it more gimmicky.

CRA for heavy armor, Scather clouds for infantry

Striders are almost always better choice than Archers. You might consider dropping a Ravagore or the Archers in favor of Warpsears with the chieftan but that is a bit more expensive points wise.
They hit hard though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

gilljoy posted:

I've currently got the battlegroup for Cygnar so would gun mages be a good next purchase?

Gun mages + the UA are fantastic. Other choices would be rangers (better with other casters) or Sword Knights. Sword Knights are fantastic with Stryker

• Locked thread