Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I don't know what back room shenanigans or handjobs had to happen to enable like a half a dozen Philly bars to wind up with dedicated Hill Farmstead tap handles, but whatever they were I'm okay with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Surprise, AB-Inbev being investigated for antitrust violations:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/10/13/ab_inbev_is_being_investigated_over_antitrust_allegations_involving_craft.html

quote:

As the brewer of all things Bud, AB InBev already has plenty of heft with wholesalers. But in recent years, it has tried to slash its distribution costs by taking advantage of state laws that allow beer makers to purchase wholesalers outright so long as they operate independently. Thanks to a spate of recent acquisitions, Bud currently owns 17 of the 500 companies that move its beer, with operations in cities including Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.

Craft brewers say that AB InBev is abusing its growing power over America's beer distribution network in two ways. First, they claim that some distributors purchased by AB InBev either stop selling products made by rival brewers outright, or seemingly stop making much of an effort to sell them. Second, they claim that AB InBev has pressured distributors it doesn't own "to only carry the company's products and end their ties with the craft industry." Conveniently, AB InBev has also purchased a number of well-loved craft brewers, such as Elysian and Goose Island, which it could readily offer to wholesalers as substitutes for other small brands.

The Justice Department is reportedly still in the early stages of investigating these allegations. On Monday, though, InBev acknowledged that it was talking to both the Justice Department and California’s Office of the Attorney General about its plans to purchase distributors in San Jose and Oakland, California. The company said it was "working cooperatively to address any questions" about the deals.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Apache posted:

One more question for the UK guys, are there any bottle shops like Bierkoning in London or Edinburgh? I'm looking to try and bring back some more Cantillon if possible, though I'm not sure if it as easy to get in the UK as it was in Holland and Belgium.

There's a bottle shop at the Borough Market that I grabbed some stuff at. I'm sure there's got to be something better around but I couldn't tell you.

Unrelated to London: tonight was pretty good:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Can we please pop the bubble, already?

http://www.mmmhops.com/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jesus, and I thought PA was draconian.

Bar owner and manager drive from Minnesota into Wisconsin, buy a keg of Spotted Cow, drive it back home and sell it at their bar. A concerned citizen (rival bar owner) calls the cops, bar owner and manager now facing felony charges.

http://www.startribune.com/2-minnesotans-charged-with-transporting-wisconsin-beer-to-minnesota/368384751/

So yeah, if that's a felony in your state, probably shouldn't be dumb enough to do that. Calling the cops on the bar though, you're an asshat and should literally move back in time to East Germany because the Stasi could have used your help.

Also something in the article about it being a problem that Spotted Cow was stronger than 3.2% alcohol but I don't understand that bit.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

crowler machines are finally becoming more prevalent around here!!

I hit Arizona Wilderness a little while back and I was disappointed to see that while they apparently have a crowler setup, the only thing they're canning with it is their plain old regular IPA which is nothing special. I really wanted to get a can of the grapefruit gose they had on tap because it was amazing, but it wasn't an option, and I wasn't going to trust a glass growler in my checked bag.

Or maybe it's just a conventional canning line that uses 32 oz cans? Is that a thing?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 11, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ExtremistCow posted:

Cereal mash? Looking at the ingredients for Top Ramen, I have no idea how they're gonna ferment this. Even if they can convert the wheat flour, the oil and salt is gonna make it a flat gross mess.

The real question is did they add the flavor packet?

That's instant ramen, which means it's the noodles that have been cooked once, and then flash-fried, which is where the oil comes from. If you're just dealing with fresh ramen, it's like pasta: water, flour, bit of salt, optional eggs.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Philly goons: La Cabra is finally opening a brewpub, this one's going to be in Berwyn, supposed to have beer on tap this summer.

I've only ever had one of his beers and it was a really good Flemish red so I'm excited. Not too excited about the food, though. Yay more mediocre Philly tacos.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Turns out Rubaeus on nitro is really good. Or at least, way better than Rubaeus not on nitro.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Have some brief time in Denver this weekend, more towards the Aurora side of things. After Crooked Stave, what should my priorities be?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Sextro posted:

Just moved to Philadelphia. Where do I drink beer and where do I buy beer and holy poo poo why do the liquor stores suck so much. I mean I get that they're state run but you'd think they could stock a few less shelves of $15 vodka and make room for other stuff.

Welcome. Drink at all of these places:

http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Philadelphia,_PA_%28and_surrounding_areas%29

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

cryme posted:

How come nobody's called anything Triple Barrel yet? There's nowhere to go but up baby!

gently caress it. We're doing five barrels.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Walked into State Line in MD when I was driving home this past weekend. Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueuze and Kriek 750s were on sale for $12.

The Cuvee Rene Kriek? That's awesome, I didn't think they even sold it in the US at all and I've never seen it there. I'd be driving down today to get some if I weren't in freaking Arizona.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

poop dood posted:

Also Tired Hands recently had a beer on tap at their brewery that was a Flanders oud bruin conditioned on carmenere soaked oak chips and sea urchins. I really wish I could've tried it.

It was good, but I completely failed to pick up any notes of sea urchin.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

The recipe is also probably different considering the canned stuff is 5.5% abv, the stuff in czech is 4.2% or 4.5%.

That sounds like just the difference between USAian abv and EU abw.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Drink everything. Eat everything. And if they still have bottles of Solaire Reserve buy them.

What he said.

Also Jean from Tired Hands is apparently out here at Arizona Wilderness doing a collaboration. Kinda looking forward to that.

Other bit about AZW: They did a can release the weekend before last, limit was two crowlers of the blood orange gose and two crowlers of the new watermelon gose (which is wonderful, just wonderful. Just fresh watermelon juice on the backend, such a good 110-degree-weather beer), so I bought the limit to bring back to Philly.

Turns out that it was a bit of a disaster for them. Apparently their canner was out of calibration, so some big percentage of the cans had slow leaks around the rim. Really slow leaks: you could turn the can upside down and squeeze and nothing would leak out but if you left the can alone on its side it would, say, leak all over the bedspread in your hotel room, or if you left it upright on your hotel room nightstand it'd slowly ooze foam out the top and you'd wake up the next morning finding your cans sitting in a little puddle. All four of my cans leaked, and while I was back there exchanging them two more people showed up to exchange theirs, too.

Still, they made it right so a point in their favor. Got my two cans of watermelon and a growler of blood orange since they didn't have any more to can.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 3, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

So while I was out in Arizona, I went to the only local brewery I'd heard that was really worth going to (Having now tried most of them, I'd disagree with that, I think one or two others are worth a stop if you're in town): Arizona Wilderness Brewing in Chandler.

Man oh man do they do some good beers. Their IPAs are only passable, but they have been knocking goses out of the park, and that's really the perfect style for Arizona summers. First time I went in they had a grapefruit gose that was the exact color of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice, it was amazing and I got a growler fill to bring back with me (I have a stainless-steel screw-top growler that's safe to carry in checked baggage). Everyone back home loved it.

This time around, they did a watermelon gose. Wow. Nothing the least bit artificial-tasting about it, you drink it and the finish explodes with fresh watermelon juice. So good. And they were doing a can release, so I showed up on that Saturday morning and bought my limit: 2 32-ounce cans each of the watermelon gose and the blood orange gose.

Got them back to the hotel and disaster had struck. All four of the cans leaked. It turns out that what had transpired was they had a problem with the canning system, it was not properly calibrated, and basically the whole batch of cans had very-slightly-loose lids. You could turn a can upside-down and shake it and nothing would come up, but leave it sitting there right-side up and foam would eventually ooze out the seal and drip down the side of the can. Anyway, I contacted them and they did the right thing and said yes, bring them in and exchange them for some of the new batch with properly-sealed lids. Only trouble is they were out of the blood orange and offered me another can of something else instead. I asked if they'd fill my 64-ounce stainless growler with blood orange from the tap, they said yes, I was happy.

Until I got back into Philly and got my bag at the luggage carousel, where it was emitting a distinct odor of beer. Fuuuck, I figured, one of the cans of watermelon got punctured or squeezed open somehow.

I get home, bring the thing downstairs to the laundry, and open the bag.

Sitting there on top of my beer-sodden clothes is a paper from the TSA: NOTICE OF BAGGAGE INSPECTION.

Here is what happened. A TSA employee, upon seeing a 64-ounce bottle of liquid in my checked baggage, which is specifically permitted, and seeing that the screw top to this bottle was both secured *and* taped on, undid the tape, removed the screw top lid, presumably inspected the contents (I'm guessing his inspection consisted of tasting it), and then taped the lid back on.

Note that he *did not screw the loving lid back on prior to applying the tape*.

Please, I beg of you: if I am ever in such straitened circumstances, so bereft of productive or mental capacity or the wherewithal to concoct a pandhandler sign sufficiently amusing to encourage donations, that I turn to the TSA for employment, *please* shoot me in the face so that my organs might be donated to medical science and I can do some actual good in this world. I swear to Christ I would vote for Hitler himself if he promised to abolish that useless titsuck of a government agency.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Phoenix area question - going in a few weeks. Other than Arizona Wilderness, are there any must-hit breweries?

I'd say no. I mean, it seems like each brewery does one or two things that I'd recommend trying, but so far I haven't found one that does more than one or two except for AZW. Yeah, Papago Orange Blossom and Coconut Joe are good but if you're not near Papago there's no particular need for you to actually go to Papago.

Craft 64 is probably worth a trip, though, since they have 32 taps of local beers so you have a good cross-section.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Entropist posted:

Jesus, you guys have to pay just for the honour of being able to buy beer? At Zwanze day in Amsterdam you can just walk in, and if you want you can send them a mail in advance to ensure you get a pour.

You've got a tiny percentage of the population of the US and probably get as much Cantillon as the entire US. What a surprise that it's harder to get here.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

What's the source on these? I've seen two^H^H^Hthree more:

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 15, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Have any Philly goons been to LaCabra yet?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Philly goons: Pinocchio's anniversary on Saturday.

Draft list:

Founders KBS
Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up (Bourbon Barrel Aged)
Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout
Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin
Founders Backwoods Bastard
Firestone Walker Helldorado
Perennial Abraxas
Half Acre Double Daisy Cutter
2SP The Russian
Firestone Walker Parabola
Sole Rage Quit
Ayinger Kirtabier
Single Cut Billy 18-Watt IPA
Cascade Apricot Ale
Firestone Walker Agrestic
Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme
Rodenbach Vintage 2014
Russian River Consecration
Russian River Supplication
Big Hill Farmhouse Cider
A special firkin of Sterling Pig Amarillo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Lyon posted:

I know lots of Phoenix questions have been asked and answered, but I have one night in the city to drink and then the next night I'll be grabbing dinner before my red eye home, any suggestions for such a limited timetable?

Either hit Arizona Wilderness because it's really the only place whose entire lineup will be at least decent. Or go to Craft 64 in Scottsdale which has 32 drafts, all Arizona stuff, so you can at least get the standouts from most everywhere else.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

MunchE posted:

I hear stuff like this a lot, but having tried them before, Goose's mainstream beer sucked pre buyout, now it just sucks in more places and with better competition.

AB has followed a pretty consistent playbook with these breweries - scale up some of their more mass market beers and bring them into wider areas or round out their "Craft Beer Tap Package" that they offer to sports bars, let the breweries keep doing their thing making their barrel aged/sour/whatever the gently caress small batch stuff and get a chunk of the money from both.

Usually it's a winwin and the Goose Island model has proven it -

It's winwin for everyone except the breweries who now don't get a tap handle because AB replaced them with an AB beer in that craft beer tap package down at the local sports bar. The Philly ballpark is an excellent example of watching tap handles that used to go to other stuff wind up on GI kegs instead.

gently caress AB. It's nice for WW that AB won't be loving around with them, but AB's whole thing is to buy a big craft brewer in each market and use that to leverage their way into controlling more of that local market. It's fundamentally not good for craft beer and I won't drink an AB brand now if there's an alternative. I liked WW's sours but oh well, Highway Manor's pouring as well so I'll drink that instead.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

Worth the gamble for 24 bottles at $10?

$0.42 per bottle of beer isn't really a gamble.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Kudosx posted:

This is something I don't understand. I constantly have people calling my store asking what time we're open until. How did you get our phone number? Oh, google? Well, if you looked right next to where it has our number, it also states our hours every single day of the week.

There are plenty of times where the times listed in Google are incorrect, so if I'm going to make a long trek over I'm going to talk to someone who actually works at the place to tell me the hours and not just trust in the mysteries of the internet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

krustster posted:

TSA won't destroy your beer just because it's beer, it's okay to have in your checked bag.

TSA opened up a taped-up growler of mine and didn't screw the lid back on which meant the half-assed reapplied tape was the only thing holding it together so of course all 64 ounces of AZW grapefruit gose spilled in my luggage.

gently caress the entire TSA.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 13, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Any recommendations for the Destin/Ft Walton Beach/Eglin AFB area?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Any Madison, WI recommendations? Have a friend driving there and back for some reason, I'm imploring him to bring me some New Glarus fruit beers, but is there anywhere in town I should send him to drink while he's there?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

Headed to Denver on Thursday for my first vacation in over a year. Beirstadt is already number 1 on my list of beers to have but what about food? Sushi was already covered a few posts ago, so what else do we have? Anything from food truck to Michelin star is welcome, perhaps great mexican / texmex.

We're staying near 20th and Park but we'll have a car and plan on getting out west of the city during the day too.

Casa Bonita.

Detective Thompson posted:

Any recommendations for breweries in the Philly and Baltimore areas? A friend is going down that way next week and said they'll grab me some stuff from anywhere that sounds good to me.

If you're gonna eschew Tired Hands, then Forest and Main is defintely worth a trip, although like TH now they're takeout beer only and limited hours. Human Robot's lagers are great, I just had their Franconia-style one and it was delicious. Love City does decent stuff.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 27, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Armand Debelder from 3Fonteinen just died.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Guessing since they don't have a working webpage and their social media stuff hasn't been updated in years that they did not wind up producing 4000 barrels a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

It’s filthy beer name day.