Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Princess Nuriko

Princess Nuriko is amazing. It's along the same lines as minesweeper, but with just enough of a twist. $0.99 for the Because We May thing and seems worth it so far. There is a demo available too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/site-news-rants/4191-in-app-purchases-the-downfall-of-android-gaming

Droid Gamers published an article questioning if in-app purchases would be the end of Android gaming.

Sorry, I only skimmed the article, so they may have addressed this idea, but this is what I'm thinking...

For us "hardcore" gamers, we tend to want to play through a game and beat it. That works on a console because they've always been mean to be played that way.

I think mobile games are just meant to be played. So the idea of a "grind" is irrelevant. Progression is irrelevant. It's a mobile game that's meant to be played for 5-10 minutes on the shitter or 15 minutes on a commute. If you try to digest it all at once... well, it's not meant to be played that way.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
If I'm remembering right, it's currently only on Amazon

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Can you explain? I'd love to have that on my phone...

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I have to say, Major Mayhem is maybe the best game I've played on the platform. Fun arcade-y goodness and I haven't really had issues earning enough coins to avoid an in-app purchase (although $0.99 for double coins is a good idea).

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Kotaku did a thing on it: http://kotaku.com/5928269/the-great-terrible-dark-knight-rises-game

Basically they said it's your standard mediocre tie-in game. High production values, but nothing too special. I suppose that does qualify as halfway-decent though.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Earlier in this thread, someone linked to Battles and Castles which I bought on a whim, wanting to play a turn based strait while I was in the men's room.

Just a warning to anyone else who was looking at it, it has a link in game that sends you to Tapjoy's web site where they offer you in game money for installing other apps or completely other offers like netflix.

I probably would have refunded the game if I had seen this in time.

Welcome to Android?

I guess there's nothing wrong with warning people, but isn't this relatively standard these days?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

beerinator posted:

Anyone else with a Nexus 7 have Ski Safari appear as "not available for your device?" Is this because I'm rooted? I see a lot of reviews that have been added from other Nexus 7 owners.

I'm not on a Nexus 7, but I did have issues installing the game with my rooted Atrix 4g. If I went to the store from my phone it wouldn't show up, but if I went to the web store it was there and I could install remotely from there.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So what's the IAP model on this one?

You can buy the in game currency. It's the same currency you earn playing, though, so you don't miss out on anything not buying any. They do have a permanent 2x earned coins for $2 which seems reasonable and awesome

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
God bless these Brazilian sons of bitches. They're getting there. They mostly fixed the resolution issue for my Atrix 4g but now the elite mob large bar is borked. It's a testament to how fun the game is that I'm willing to weather this wackiness to get in on the old skool goodness

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

rock2much posted:

I like leveling up, getting new weapons/armor/spells, but hate random battles. Is there an RPG for me? :smith:

The battles in the Penny Arcade game aren't random (but they are relatively plentiful anyhow). You see the enemies on screen and are then put into the battle screen once you approach them. I feel like it's paced similarly to how a well-paced random encounter system would be, though, so it doesn't feel that different. So, nevermind, I guess?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Any way to buy a game that isn't compatible with any of my devices? I'm going to get an HTC One X+ in January, but I'm still on an Atrix 4g that's stuck on Gingerbread, so I can't purchase Avengers. For a buck, it's worth it to me, but I won't be interested when it's back at 6 or whatever.

I could always re-load a buggy 4.1 rom and then go back to my stable GB, but that's a hassle.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else playing Dragonvale? I keep seeing that I can give gifts to 3 people and a but I don't have any in-game friends.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

...That came to Android? Huh. It isn't saddled with Mobage poo poo, is it?

Nah. No lovely shell like Mobage, but it does require a Facebook account if I'm remembering right (although it doesn't ever post to your account or even ask to). It looks like Facebook is the only way to add friends though, but I've got a ton of dragons and all that without friends, so it must not help that much.

I don't know why I'm so addicted. I've been sweating my balls trying to breed limited edition dragons since they're all unlocked for the New Year, but there's no end game, so I don't know why it's such a priority in my life right now.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

UraniumAnchor posted:

You can skip the Facebook login but then your park is tied to your phone. Facebook lets you share it across multiple Android devices.

The main reason to add friends is so they'll gift you gems, or visit their parks for some extra cash (tap the party hats). Doesn't make a huge difference, though.

(Full disclosure: I'm the one who wrote the Android port, so feel free to yell at me if poo poo is hosed.)

The only thing hosed is how long it's taking me to get that goddamn dragon statue's head.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

You mean SMAMC? I think the idea is to have a Freemium version as well as the paid version. So that might be why.

You guys are high as hell.

I bought the old one but have spent a ridiculous amount of time with the new one instead. The challenges really up the stakes and give you something to drive for. The time limit really makes you work quickly and hone your strategy. SMAMC is amazing. The in app purchases are completely unnecessary for progression. Keep playing, you'll unlock cats and all kinds of poo poo.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I have to say, Dungelot has a lot more potential than it delivers on. It seemed really sweet at first, but it's ultimately pretty shallow. There is not enough incentive for attacking enemies. The gameplay isn't different in any meaningful way between the classes. The rewards aren't big enough to encourage a grind. I dunno, it SEEMS so cool at first, but it's been disappointing. It sounds like he has some great ideas for where he'd like to go with it, but I don't understand all the hubbub as is.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
All that Dungelot advice will go out the window in the next few days. The dude posted on Facebook that the new update was ready and judging by all the stuff he's posted about, it's a pretty major overhaul (most of it sounds like it will address the concerns a lot of people have).

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Despite the control scheme on Android, I can vouch for how awesome Wagic is. I probably played 40 hours on the psp version. It's a great way for Magic fans to play without paying a mint.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Just gotta peek in just in case people aren't playing the Rayman runner game. It's amazing, and makes me think that a well handled Mega Man or Mega Man X runner in this style could be AMAZING (though X-Over is still clearly garbage).

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

kstatix posted:

Is there anything similar to it? Like same play style but perhaps not in a courtroom setting? I'm dying for more.

Also, has anyone here been an avid computer gamer who's spent more time gaming on their tablet or phone? I bought a nexus7 and pretty much stopped playing sc2/dota2 etc. I've been gaming on a PC for 20+ years and I'm kinda surprised I've bought into mobile gaming. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this phenomena.

I used to be all about consoles. I still game about 2-3 hours a day, but it's in bed or after work before wife and daughter get home. It's quick, it's easy, I don't have to sit through 8 splash screens and login processes. I just load up Puzzle and Dragons and pray for good drops. I think that one of the great things about mobile games coming into their own is that folks who grew up gaming, but don't have the time for a game that requires 100% attention, have something to scratch their itch. I'd still love to see more console-style-but-made-bite-sized games. Why there aren't A MILLION Final Fantasy Tactics clones on android is COMPLETELY baffling.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Unless you're specifically grinding for money, you never have a surplus. I've grinded for enough money to take the blacksmith all the way to level 8 where the time waited becomes 0 and unless you're willing to literally grind for and spend around $4500 on grindstones where you'll end up just buying weapons as usual anyway, there's literally no point. Not to mention, you're still looking at like $1500 per character to upgrade fully, while the same money would get you far better mileage from the enchanter equips.

Waiting for the blacksmith isn't even a real problem without it because the boosts from it are minimal at best compared to the other ways you have of boosting your character through skills or buying equips from the enchanter. I honestly don't get how anyone could still complain about the blacksmith at this point when not too long ago it was not only harder to earn money in the first place, but the highest level monsters were still 29/30, and to unlock everything the enchanter sold you had to level him up by giving him mushrooms as well while buying them or grindstones cost double. They've made this game incredibly accessible to everyone at this point.

You're doing it wrong.

It's much easier to just visit all the caves to get the stones, from what I remember.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I'll just confirm Galaxy S3 issues. I'm on an AOKP rom if that helps.

I get a lot of texture flickering and that hall of mirrors effect as well. I was just trying to click around to get to stuff, but when I got to a keyboard with no letters, I figured I'd stop.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 1, 2013

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone playing Ark of the Ages? I guess it's from the XSEED guys or something.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nRoZWFnZXMiXQ..

I'm downloading it now based on a Kotaku recommendation and it looks like it's got some social stuff. I'll check back in once I fire it up.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Davedave24 posted:

Obnoxiously so. Please nobody else waste money buying this.

Yup. I'm not sure why kotaku liked it at all, but I intend to send a harshly worded letter.

In other news, I think I like Real Racing 3, like, a lot. I think it's getting such awful press since this is the first "core" game to be so blatantly microtransaction driven . The problem is that core gamers have different expectations about how they want to play their games. If you want to do a couple races and then come back to it later, it should stay free for you. That's totally doable without spending a dime. Core gamers want to blast through content, though.

It's a mobile game. You're not supposed to play it all goddamn day. Besides, there are enough quality games following this model now that we should all have a rotation by now anyway.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

illicitporpoises posted:

So they're playing it wrong?

Yes?

In the time it took to complete one dungeon in Puzzle and Dragons and post this message, the service on my car is complete. No big deal.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
All I can say is that Real Racing 3 has been a lot of fun. It looks great and the cars handle pretty well. It has a similar progression to Gran Turismo where you need to beat certain races to unlock later ones. The cash payouts (used to buy anything in the game) are consistent with other sim racers. The microtransaction currency is only used for speeding up time. So far, they impose a time wait for a few different things. The first is servicing your car, which, depending on the service being performed can take between 5-20 minutes. They also have you wait for upgrades (1st upgrades were 2 minutes, then I think 5, and up from there). The last thing you wait for is new car delivery. I think my second car took 20 minutes or so. As far as car delivery goes, I could still drive my other car while waiting for it to arrive. I'm not sure if it works the same way for servicing a car (i.e. using your other car while the first is awaiting service/upgrades). If you can juggle cars, there would hypothetically be a point where you have 3 or 4 cars and can just hop around in different rides to avoid any actual wait.

This is a business model that is extremely effective and isn't going anywhere. People seem to be looking at this one as the worst of the worst. I think the problem is really that the game is REALLY good. Because it's so good, people are judging the pay-structure harshly. The pay model is comparitively reasonable when compared to other games using the same model. I know people would poo poo bricks if the next Halo only let you play 3 rounds of multiplayer then made you wait an hour or pay $2, but if it was free to begin with, I think those people would be assholes.

If you are the kind of person who plays their mobile games for 10-20 minutes at a time a few times a day, it's probably the best racer on the platfrom. End of story.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
The Shuffle Puck update fixed everything for the Galaxy S3,or at least it fixed it for me running an aokp rom.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

KominAaa posted:

Ye we just fixed it!

Please don't forget to vote, it's helping us a lot. We were getting a lot of one star reviews because of that bug...

I'm glad that they list the device reviews are coming from, but they need to take it a step further. There should be a separate rating if the game doesn't work. So you vote 1 through 5 or you vote not working. Then you can have 4.3 stars for the rating with the number of people claiming it doesn't work as a raw number or a percent. Rating something a 1 because it doesn't run on a dinosaur free phone from 2010 doesn't help consumers.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I liked it, though I wasn't playing for the story (which I've heard was poo poo). It doesn't do a standard lovely touch screen dual stick setup. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but it was an interesting set up that worked well. I don't know how much it costs now, but if it's cheap, it'd be worth it.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm also a little dejected to find that most of the games are just F2P microtransaction scams that spam my notification tray with poo poo. Why is the game market so full of crap?

Or, it's because it's the only way to make money in the mobile space. If you can only sell your game for $0.99, you can't afford to market it well enough to get people to buy it unless you accidentally strike gold. Nobody will know about your game otherwise. If I have friends that recommend a free game to me where it helps them out to be a part of it (like Puzzles and Dragons) then they can get enough people to start playing it to have that 1% spend enough to keep up for the ones who don't. Puzzle and Dragons hooked me with great game play and somehow I've spent :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: on it.

TLDR: If you want to be pissy about anything, be pissy because the game itself is poo poo, not because they're using a payment model that works in the mobile space.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Dungelot said he's thinking F2P for the sequel with an "unlock everything" in app purchase or ala carte. This is the best of both worlds folks have been dreaming of, yes?

I don't think I can pay for this dude's stuff upfront again. Like other people have said, he made a ton of changes to fix/improve the first one without making it any better at all. That drat game had so much potential.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Hue Brix is the amazon app for the day. It's sweet. I'd give a big description but it's free, so, you know...

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
In case people have missed it in the last couple humble bundles, Osmos HD is the Amazon app for today.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Kinda seems like a mountain out of a molehill. I know I'm usually an apologist for anything a company does, but I think this is a bit silly.

You need to have the Amazon app installed on your phone to use Amazon apps. You don't need to open it every day, you don't need to enter your password everyday, it's not always chewing up battery in the background.

It's not like how it was before where it spammed 44 notifications every day. I switch roms a ton and as long as I backup the app store along with whatever apps I'm keeping around, I don't have to touch it if I don't want to. If I forget to back it up, I just have to download it again and and sign in. I've gone months without even remembering it's on my phone.

Maybe they constantly use your phone to secretly take pictures of poo poo you have in your house to send you emails about what you should buy from them or something, but I think this is all tinfoil hat territory.

If you just feel more comfortable supporting the devs, that makes sense, but the store itself is not the pain in the rear end it once was.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone still playing Dungeon Diary?

It's incredibly deep, if entirely obtuse. Once you realize how to make some decent money, things really start to snowball a bit and pick up steam. I didn't realize at first that paying back your "loan" is what opens up new actions for your chibi-girl and opens new dungeons.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

NewcastleBrown posted:

Is this one any more interesting than the original? I found that one lacked in depth, even for an open-feild TD game...

I'm a bit pissed about it. Spent my $3... Doesn't seem much different than the original.

OH! And there are towers you can unlock only with "coins" that are dolled out incredibly miserly through game progress but easy to access through IAP.

I'm normally the type who defends IAP, but for some reason this one really sticks in my craw. If they'd have gone free to play and done this kind of thing, I could understand it, but I'm peeved for some reason.

Bloons 5 does the same kind of thing, but that one didn't bug me so much.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Perhaps part of the issue is that past Android bundles have also requried Win/Mac/Linux versions too. The recent "Humble Mobile Bundle" was their first Android exclusive bundle. They might do more of that.

In other news Indie Gala Mobile 3 is underway. I didn't realize they had two previous ones. I'm not sure what to think of it though, having three app stores already is something of a chore, although the HIB one is pretty slick.

Their system is basic/more of a pain. They just let you download the apk and handle it yourself, which is fine, I guess, but then you don't know when there are updates or anything.

I've paid for the first two and don't have any of the games on my phone just because it's more of a pain than it's worth.

I don't really like their whole system. You can't just log in to their site in a logical way, you have to get the link they email you to get to your profile. I'll still grab a good deal if they have it, but the Humble Bundle folks know how to do it right.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

I've never actually looked at Wagic at all, so this could be real obvious, but does it happen to have the exact cards and (perhaps more importantly) art from MTG, or is it simply a similar game?

The card rules/text/mechanics are all generally up to date with current releases. You can download art packs, but Wololo doesn't host them for copyright reasons. He's poked his head into the forums a few times. The only kicker is that the game was originally set up for the psp and (last I checked) the I interface is largely unchanged from that for the android version, which makes things clunky to control.

I have probably played a hundred hours of it on my Psp, though. The only cards that are missing are ones that would be difficult to code in (like a chaos orb or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Kingdom Rush is out for android now and it's got the new google games stuff. I played the poo poo out of the game on Kongregate.

• Locked thread