Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

"Okay, just take the old one but make this guy much smugger. No, more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

WeaponBoy posted:

The woman was actually the only one that was really obviously CG. The three dudes all look pretty insanely realistic, albeit the blond guy looks like has a wig on.

Also, they are now Neku, Travis and Cloud forever.

Cloud and Neku both look like they've got wigs on but Travis looks like he's the world's number one consumer of triple strength hair cement.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

what i'm saying is the party should've been squall, rinoa, and the fat, bespectacled, middle-aged cid Robin Williams

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mazed posted:

Talking of "dark" themes in these games; they were almost onto something with FF13 there.

You have a society that's basically nothing but livestock for sentient machine-gods in Coccoon, and in Pulse, a civilization that was depleted to the last person by gods just not giving a poo poo about how they spent human lives in their ongoing pissing contests. Your group of main characters are branded and ostracized but forced together by mutual circumstances despite their ill feelings towards one another (veering from distrust to absolute contempt), and their story is how they learned to get along and use their circumstances to break the status quo and make things better for the world.

But it was all just so bland, sterile, and even bloodless. They were telling you about these horrible things, but very rarely showing, and when they tried to show, you were too distracted by how melodramatic and overly serious it was taking itself to get any real sense of pathos.

Mind you, I hate it just as much (if not more) when a game makes something pointlessly violent and grimdark because those who employ those devices typically don't know what to do with them beyond hamfisted shock value. FF13, though, was one of those things that could have genuinely benefitted by being just a slight shade more gritty and visceral.

Honestly they just needed to make the characters and especially Lightning more 3D and then make Cocoon's society a bit more hosed up and they could have had a pretty good story there. Cocoon seems like an okay place to live, and the game goes on about how no it really isn't everyone's a slave to the machine-gods etc etc but it never really shows those problems or even tells you what they really are.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

I played through the game and I'm still not sure what the relation between the l'cie and normal Cocoon residents is. Do the citizens hate all of the l'cie, or are they just talking about ones from Pulse? What was Anima supposed to be from, Pulse? They talk about hating the fal'cie a lot, but they apparently use them to produce food and energy? I could understand if the whole hating Pulse thing was just a way for Barthandelus to get people mad, but he seemed to also make them hate their own fal'cie.

No, they just hate the ones from Pulse. Maybe they're afraid of the Cocoon ones, but they don't hate them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

I'm not sure the general populace even knew that there was such a thing as a Cocoon l'Cie.

Of course they did. Hell, Sazh was taking a tour of a power plant where the power was made by a fal'cie, and the fal'cie was so open that his kid just kind of wandered over to it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

Type-0 includes fal'Cie and l'Cie, and there's a small possibility that XV will too, since that was one of the recurring themes when they were all XIII-branded games. I don't want to see this idea dropped, although a set of better names wouldn't hurt.

XV looks legitimately cool and interesting without all that bullshit. I love the aesthetic with people know how to dress themselves properly and hair only operating at medium anime levels and the whole modern city getting invaded by knights with plate armour and tommy guns rolling up in APCs. It looks great and I don't think robogods are gonna help.

That loving Sned posted:

Speaking of the intro to FFXIII, how is it that the main characters are able to fall such massive distances without a scratch, but Hope's mother dies from falling the exact same distance Snow does seconds later?

Moms aren't tough.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

On a scale of one to high five, where would that put X then?

I'd give it a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0 out of ten

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Well, she became a goddess-Valkyrie between XIII and XIII-2 so presumably it'd be a little awkward to start calling her Eclair.

I thought it was just Claire in the English version because Eclair sounds dumb.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gotta make sure that everywhere except centre mass is well armoured.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Of the FFs I've completed, I'd offer up X and XII as having the best central plots.

Now, XII I can't speak for, having never managed to continue playing after "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA" out of sheer embarrassment, but X having a good story? X has one of the silliest, stupidest stories I've ever heard. The main plot is full of twists that are either completely obvious from very early on in the game and yet still treated as a huge, dramatic shock("Summoners die at the end of their journey" being treated as if anyone hadn't figured that out around the time they show up in Killika), or that just don't make any loving sense(My father is an angry magic whale but that's not exactly true because technically neither of us exist, we're dreams).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

1st AD posted:

Christ, why is having to login to Facebook such a problem for people?

Some people don't have or want a facebook account.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Well, guess I'm going to have to eventually get a PS4. I know remade VII will probably be made all serious and whatnot, but I'll still play the poo poo out of it. That and The Last Guardian, which I'd been pretty convinced was permanently lost in development hell.

I don't know why people are saying they're gonna take out all of the dumb poo poo in 7. 7 may have been the series peak for that kind of thing but there's still plenty of it in later games up to and probably including 15 and the fact that they decided to have AC be a huge downer doesn't mean they're gonna go back and make the original story the same thing.

Endorph posted:

the crisis core team was pretty 'b-team' from what i remember. no nomura or nothin'

funnily it was the closest of any of the spinoff material to matching the tone of ff7

Crisis core was a great game whenever Genesis wasn't onscreen.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Keltar posted:

The game that ruined the Final Fantasy series.

It was the beginning of the end.

All of the games except 2 and 8 are either good or at least bad in a funny way, though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

slev posted:

They better bleep Cid and Barret

They need to do what the original game did and bleep out gently caress and bitch but just throw the word poo poo around like nothing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mycot posted:

Nah FF7's translation is one where people always bring up the "so bad it's endearing" lines like this guy are sick but nobody mentions the vast majority of the translation just being kinda shoddy (constantly messing up a/an, etc.)

I think it's partially because the first disc is translated better than the second disk so this guy are sick or the various incomprehensible lines in the honeybee inn catch you off guard whereas by the time you hit the second disk and every other line starts being hosed up somehow you're desensitized to it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

I am gonna laugh my nuts off if they roll any of the goofy poo poo from Dirge of Cerberus or Crisis Core into this.

Game is completely identical to the original in every way except that Genesis and Lightning are standing in the background of every scene.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

As someone who's very afraid of deep water, I am not looking forward HD submarine and Emerald Weapon. It spooked me as a kid in dated graphics and it's gonna spook me as an adult in HIGH DEFINITION DOLBY DIGITAL.

I hope they leave in being able to submerge and end up an inch away from Emerald's face and get killed in 2 turns after not saving for 3 hours.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

the most important question: will cait sith get to ride his moogle?

Cait Sith has been replaced by Reeve wearing plastic cat ears as a disguise.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cubey posted:

Them changing Cloud is the thing I'm most afraid of. They need to keep him the goofy rear end in a top hat he was originally, not the mopey emo that fans misremember him as.

I fear for this line most of all:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

aeris is replaced by aerith

I hope you can still rename characters and the script is awkwardly rewritten to avoid ever calling anyone by name because of voice acting.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I do like that the voiceover for the trailer can be summed up as "we're remaking FF7 and yes, I know, you're afraid we'll gently caress it up but look: just roll with it"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

If Aeris is called Aerith in the VA, we have no need for this remake Square Enix. We don't want it. Don't even bother.

Terper posted:

Aerith is better

it begins

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Did you even listen to the ominous voice in the trailer?

The trailer that literally ended with the word remake flying at the screen in big bold letters?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I just hope they take everything that's in this screenshot into account

Missed a huge materia there bub.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

General Morden posted:

FFXIII is on sale on Steam. Is it worth it for $7.99?

Is the battle system fun and captivating at all, or is it just a big boring slog?

The battle system is good but bogged down by the fact that the encounters are really repetitive and you don't actually get to use the battle system to its fullest until after like 20 hours of tutorial.

The story is hilarious though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

General Morden posted:

The game is paced well right?
no

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The PC version looks and runs great as well.

I heard something about how the PC version ended up running at low fps sometimes because it was literally optimized too well and some graphics cards would go into low-power/sleep mode when you played it because they didn't recognize it was a videogame.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Skeezy posted:

I have yet to use Yuna also unless the game requires me to.
Yuna is incredible once you figure out that she's actually a secret black mage.

Lulu is loving terrible at everything and objectively the worst party member once you realize that there's nothing stopping you from teaching Yuna black magic and literally all of Yuna's stats are miles better than Lulu's plus she can summon.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

zakharov posted:

There's a mandatory Kimahri solo fight that can bite you in the rear end if you never use him, just FYI

It scales and is insanely easy once you figure out the trick, which is to just constantly spam Lancet because the bosses have loads of overdrives and it fills your gauge every time you use it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Moxie posted:

I tried FFX but I was pretty sure the protagonist was dead or dreaming and lost interest after blitzball.

The actual twist is infinitely dumber than this.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Do you not know the incredible story of FFX-2.5? Because boy, it's a good one. The highlight is absolutely Tidus kicking a blitzball and loving exploding and then Yuna catching his severed head. Also I think Sin comes back to life at some point.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Honestly the biggest issue I had with FFXV was that you held down the button to combo or dodge. It just felt really wrong to me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lobster22221 posted:

In disgaea 1's defense, story mode levels are not overly inflated compared to post game.

i spent many hours doing nothing but play that one disgaea map that's 9 enemies that give good exp standing in a 3x3 grid because it's the best for grinding, literally just starting the map and having laharl walk up and do a big AOE to instaclear the map for sweet sweet levels

I never did anything with those levels though because I could never be bothered to kill Baal and he's like the only person who actually requires you to do that

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Some people hate time limits on things no matter how generous they are.

I can conceptually appreciate putting the whole game on a time limit but I hated it in Lightning Strikes Twice just as much as I hated it in Dead Rising because I like to be able to ignore the plot for a while and just go bumble around for a bit.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You've got time to bumble around.

Bumbling isn't enjoyable when you have the majora's mask moon floating in the sky angrily checking its watch every couple of minutes.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

People get incredibly pissy about games with any sort of failure metrics or even anything with like ranking or scoring systems, like DMC, Bayonetta, etc etc because if they don't get a good one it's the game's fault.

So yes.

That's a very strange way of putting it. I'm not bothered by game overs or bad rankings, I just don't enjoy time limits as a failure metric. Especially not in long, open ended games. Timed missions are tolerable but timing the entire game isn't something I like.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ilitarist posted:

FFXV diminishes any attempt it makes to present you with a challenge or a lesson by giving you cheap instant healing items. I've wanted to be completionist about it and do all the sidequests but then I've ventured into some military based with enemies 20 levels higher than me. It took me 10 minutes to fight the area boss and I've spend dozens of potions but it was still easy to do, if a beat boring. By that time I haven't even bought any potions and just used what I've found. I realized that I can probably beat any enemy right now if I buy enough potions and then it was just about struggling through the main story.

I don't know who thought it was a good idea for losing all your hp to just put you in an injured state that you can instantly potion out of. It killed the game's whole challenge.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Actually, it would be only half a press.

Quick, let's all name RPG's that can be beaten with only half a button press.

you can't have only half a press, the half press is course-specific notation which indicates that it requires a press but that it uses the same press as an earlier action which took place outside the course, so it does not add a press to the game's overall count but cannot be completed with 0 presses when played on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

JRPGs are possibly the easiest genre there is though.

They're easy on reaction times and input skill but a JPRG isn't inherently easier than any other game where input skill is not the key factor in determining success. It's very possible for a JPRG to be quite challenging(assuming that grinding is either made mechanically impossible or the player simply chooses not to do it, any JRPG that allows indefinite grinding can be totally trivialized if you've got enough free time).

Final Fantasy, however, is generally a very easy series. 7 especially, the most famous and influential one, is incredibly easy. The biggest difficulty spikes in 7, as far as I'm aware, are probably Demon Wall and Carry Armour, and neither of them is actually particularly hard. It's just that they require a strategy other than testing all your magic and attacking to see which does the most damage then spamming that and healing when you're low. Not a complicated one, just like, "use buffs" or "attack a specific body part first". Ultimately I think the influence 7 had on the genre is part of the reason why JRPGs tend towards being easy, although there are definitely harder ones out there.