Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Now I am actually really fascinated to see how they will fit it into Brave

Well that's easy. The Pastry Plane wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Besesoth posted:

It's the Konami code: up up down down left right left right B A Start.

Hacking must be the easiest job ever in Game Central Station.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think we might have just been infiltrated by a comments section spambot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ez posted:

It baffles me how Snyder can go from making 300 and Watchmen which were awesome to Sucker Punch and Man of Steel which are absolutely loving terrible. What happened Zachary?

I think he's only really good at direct comic adaptations. Sucker Punch was entirely original and was complete garbage, and Man of Steel was an original Superman story that... I'm going to say wasn't terrible, but it was a pretty weak movie and I'd hesitate to call it anything above mediocre.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cat Hatter posted:

Revenge Of The Nerds too. Legally Lewis raped Betty by pretending to be her boyfriend, but the rape was so good that she started dating him instead of having him arrested. Also he sold everyone in school naked pictures that he took of her with a hidden camera.

edit: I think there should be a comma in there, but I'm going to leave it because I like the thought of a character called "Legally Lewis".

Revenge of the Nerds is legitimately super loving offensive in stuff like that, that I think it actually wraps around. That movie is so hateful towards everyone that I can't really say it's all that offensive. Even the nerds that are meant to be the good guys are basically walking punchlines.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

beep by grandpa posted:

To be fair only one of those is an actually intended subtle moment and the rest are, while still interesting, DYK movie trivia about its production

Two things I remember on this side of things, from different Cracked articles:

Easy Rider: In that famous smoking scene, all of the actors are actually high. Special commendations to Jack Nicholson, who actually somehow managed to deliver all his lines perfectly despite this handicap.

And thread favorite The Usual Suspects: Part of the reason it works so well is because Bryan Singer told everyone they were Keyser Soze. Pretty much every main character in the movie was told, either explicitly or implicitly during production, that they were Keyser Soze. Gabriel Byrne got especially mad about this when he saw the finished movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Probably because you can't trademark 'playschool'.

Alternatively, Play School is a famous children's show in Australia, so it might already be taken.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Peanut President posted:

That would make sense considering that the Ventriloquist isn't the one who's evil.

I'm admittedly not big on anything from DC that isn't the Arkham games, but isn't it that Scarface is a completely normal, albeit creepy, doll that's just consistently puppet-ed by crazy people?

Or is it one of those things where there might be an 'official' explanation but even the people writing it aren't good about remembering it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Watchmen was always going to be hard to adapt, not just because of the reasons stated. It was a reaction to the state of comic books at the time, but since comic book movies aren't in that same state now, it needed some severe adapting. Alan Moore only liked one of the screenplays written, the one David Hayter did, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the one that got made.

I've felt for a while that given the state of comic book movies at that time (a bit less so now, especially off of Guardians of the Galaxy, but it wouldn't be out of place now), the graphic novel adaptation we needed wasn't Watchmen, but Kingdom Come.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You will. The writers embrace the insanity behind the premise with such joy its entertaining just to see how they explain poo poo. The other half is spent with actors chewing scenery and if you're a lady you're set as every male actor is a hot dude.

Also Star Wars has been directly referenced in the show as part of the canon. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they actually add leia and the rest of the Star Wars characters by the time the movies are coming out.

Really, Star Wars and Tron need to make it into the show.

Given both this and Kingdom Hearts, I think it's safe to say that if there's one good thing Disney can do well, it's crossovers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
TV example, from Doctor Who's season finale. It's right at the episode's opening, so it's not really a spoiler.

The episode opens with the Doctor's current companion, Clara Oswald, trying to argue a Cyberman into sparing her. She resorts to trying to convince it that she's mroe useful alive than dead, she tries to drop the biggest bombshell possible: Clara never existed, she's been the Doctor this whole time!

Cut to the opening credits... which credit Jenna Coleman over Peter Capaldi.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Polaron posted:

It probably didn't help that her American accent is good enough that her actually being Australian is surprising.

Your avatar reminded me that there's an episode of Doctor Who where David Tennant uses a Scottish accent as part of a cover story. I remember thinking that it was surely fake when I first heard it, but no, that's David Tennant's actual Scottish accent.

In non-accent news, Auspol just directed me to one from Silence of the Lambs, recently put together by someone on Reddit. Someone like Lecter would likely be on monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI), which is used to treat various mental health disorders, including what Lecter himself exhibits.

The three things you can't have on MAOI are chianti, liver and beans.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Mar 17, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mierenneuker posted:

I was under the impression that there is no Tom Clancy, it's just an cabal of ghostwriters :v:

'Tom Clancy' is actually a video game development company that also writes adaptations of their own games.

While their game development time is usually pretty long, their story-writing process isn't, leading to the appearance of an actual author's release schedule.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Brocktoon posted:

How is a character being voiced by the person who always voices him a subtle movie moment?

Well, that character's clearly a cameo, and one quite out of place for the movie itself. So it seems like it's a neat little nod done right, which is especially nice to see from a movie that's quite content not to give a gently caress in any other way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Professor Shark posted:

I googled it, and apparently it's a very famous quotation that people cannot remember where it came from

The most logical explanation I heard was that it was from a 1980s play that made it to Broadway and started being used in textbooks. There are instances of similar phrases that crop up earlier, and so might have been the original source, but that particular one would explain why it keeps cropping up among certain demographics while not being able to remember where they got it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Canemacar posted:

Hell, I'd vote for him today if he was running.

He's a joke, but at the same time it makes total sense he got elected. On top of all he did with Not Sure, he pitched all of it in a way that his constituency understood and related to. You know the 'have a beer with' politicians that almost always make things worse, but look good doing it? Komacho is that, but actually a good leader.

If he's not one of the best world leaders in all of fiction, he's drat close.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I just realized the most positive portrayal of a bisexual I've seen in TV or movies is Jack Harkness from Doctor Who and Torchwood. Guy is... still really sleazy, but at least he's generally a good person.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ranma Fan Art posted:

Okay be honest are you stuck in the past people can send help for you, you don't have to stay there!

Nah, he's just an INCREDIBLY well-planned series of scheduled posts from somewhere around the year 2003.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

food court bailiff posted:

I don't doubt it's from something, but what do you mean "NES jingle"? The handhelds have had splash screens since the Game Boy but the Game Cube was the first of their consoles to have a standardized one, I thought.

He's got a few facts muddled up, but basically, the Famicom Disk System in Japan had a startup jingle, and the Gamecube's systems menu uses a very, VERY slowed-down version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjEsXf3SJ6o

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

muscles like this! posted:

A goofy subtle thing happened in the English dub of Dragon Ball Super. There was a short story arc involving Vegeta getting copied by an alien substance making an evil duplicate. However instead of just having Christopher Sabat (who normally voices Vegeta) do it they instead brought in Brian Drummond, who voiced him in the original English dub back in the 90s.

I just checked with a friend of mine who's far more knowledgeable about Dragon Ball for the specifics on this one, and they actually make it even better.

Drummond voiced Vegeta in the original American dub of DBZ, by Ocean Dub; they did the Saiyan Saga, but nothing further. A couple years later Funimation (who has Sabat for Vegeta) picked up and continued the dub from the next storyline (the Namek Saga) and beyond, and later went back and did their own version of the Saiyan Saga too once DBZ really blew up and started getting picked up internationally. Their version is the one that's more widely known worldwide, but Ocean Dub's still typically the one remembered in the US; no other version of the script has specifically the line "Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his power level?"

But in the States, even when the Funimation version of the Saiyan Saga was available (which it was for most of DBZ's run and core popularity) the Ocean Dub version created a lot of confusion because broadcasters like Toonami still had it kicking around, and either didn't understand or didn't care about the difference. This meant that they switched between them all the time and confused the hell out of kids watching, because voice actors would change all over the place. And Vegeta was one of the more noticeable ones, partly because he had some exposition that didn't square with the later Funimation script but mostly because Drummond and Sabat's performances are really different; I would describe Drummond as very sneering and weaselly, compared to how Sabat was very shouty.

Still, Drummond being the fake Vegeta is even better because of that, since a ton of kids who kept unexpectedly seeing the Ocean Dub already thought of him as 'the fake Vegeta'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:54 on Jan 14, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Star Wars Holiday Special is the first piece of the Expanded Universe

Actually, going by the levels of canonicity res let down by Lucasfilm, the Holiday Special is on the same level of canon as the original films, as it's a live-action production that Lucas was involved with and that stars multiple original trilogy actors.

The Holiday Special falls into weird canonicity after Disney came along and relegated everything but the movies and the things in them into Legends continuity, which includes the Holiday Special. But there is also a rule that I am admittedly a little hazy on that Legends figures mentioned in the new EU are canon as far as their stories don't conflict with new/established canon. So the existance of Grand Admiral Thrawn for example is canon because he was in the Rebels cartoon, but not all of his stories are canon because their world conflicts with the new movies. All of this means, however, that because somebody mentioned one of Chewbacca's family members in a comic (I think, might've been a novel) and no events of the Holiday Special conflict with anything in the movies, that it too is canon.

So basically, no matter how you cut it, the Holiday Special is more canon than any piece of the EU that anybody cares to bring up, and that's great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Annihilation seems like exactly the kind of movie I'd love and yet could never stomach. I love every part of what I've heard here, except for the fact that if I saw it I'd never be able to go to sleep again in my life.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've been working my way through the MCU movies sequentially (I just finished Iron Man 3), and noticed that Captain America is the only character in The Avengers with a leitmotif. Basically any time the focus of a shot or scene is him doing something dramatic, you get really patriotic and triumphant-sounding horns that are right out of a military parade.

Also, there's a shot just after the wormhole opens and the aliens start invading, when Iron Man starts fighting them against the skyline, where you can see that they're flying in Galaga formations. Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did.

Those movies are typically about as subtle as a fire alarm, but I'll respect understated elements when they do them.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:38 on May 20, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It helps that Silvestri did the score and he was probably working on it concurrently with The First Avenger, so it was easier for him to integrate the Captain America theme than anyone else's. Thor had Patrick Doyle and Iron Man had Ramin Djawadi, so they'd be really discordant with Silvestri's musical style if he tried to integrate their themes into the film. So Iron Man gets his ACDC riff from Iron Man 2, and Thor really doesn't get much of a theme considering Doyle only came to Marvel at the request of Kenneth Branagh, and neither of them stuck around.

Iron Man is playing the AC/DC himself, that doesn't count.

Although thinking about it, I do like that the only Iron Man movie that doesn't open with AC/DC is 3. In a literal sense that's because 3 is the only one that doesn't open to a scene where Tony is picking the music, but 3 is also about him losing control, struggling against enemies that are setting the rules of engagement far more than him. It's also about Tony learning to separate himself from the Iron Man suit, so if we consider AC/DC more as 'Iron Man's leitmotif' than 'Stark's leitmotif' it makes sense that it never plays in 3.

I also hate AC/DC, so a movie that opens to Eiffel 65 instead is just an immediately better experience to me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Captain America: The Winter Soldier has a cute little running gag where Natasha keeps trying to suggest girls Cap should ask out. It's a cute little running gag, mostly just a bit of banter. But on thinking about it, I realized a couple of little things it also does beyond just character interaction.

1. It's a neat, short way of informing what their relationship is, and perhaps more importantly what it isn't. Most of the movie is those two together, on the run and facing this enormous problem together, and we're kind of conditioned to read a relationship like that in a movie as eventually becoming romantic (hell, case in point: the first Captain America movie. Also, I believe every Bond film), and there's a few scenes where they deliberately put on that front, but that running gag helps to confirm that while their relationship is friendly, it's strictly professional, and they aren't interested in each other.

2. The first person she suggests is a nurse that lives on the same floor as Cap. When we actually meet that person, she almost immediately gets revealed as an undercover SHIELD agent there to protect Cap. She's later seen to be working in the same sort of fields as Natasha, albeit in a more white-collar capacity, so they have to know each other to some degree. She also ends up being one of the SHIELD loyalists when Hydra starts showing their hand. So Natasha isn't just suggesting blindly here, she's clearly suggesting people that she knows Cap would get on quite well with, and he should totally take her advice.

Also, an unrelated subtle gag: There's a scene where Cap and Natasha need transport, which then immediately cuts to the two of them driving down a freeway and Natasha asking 'since when does Captain America know how to steal a car?' This is probably a reference to the so-bad-it's-good 1990 Captain America movie, where Cap feigns sickness to steal someone's car.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

My Lovely Horse posted:

They could use some recurring villains in the MCU, actually. I realize they're all about decisively beating a threat but maybe they'd be more interesting if they weren't. Get some Norman Osborn in there.

There's really just Loki in this seat, and I think even he's supposed to have taken some kind of turn for the good guys (I haven't seen Thor Ragnarok yet). There's villains that aren't actually dead, but they happen to not be the 'muscle' villains, so they aren't exactly the types that leave people scared or big names to draw people's eyes. From what I've seen so far--everything up to Guardians of the Galaxy--the only living villains are Justin Hammer from Iron Man 2, and the Hydra loyalists from Winter Soldier.

And I say gently caress yeah, that's perfect, that's all we need. Bring back Justin Hammer, these movies don't have nearly enough Sam Rockwell. He has the potential to scale very well, too, you could write Hammer in as a localized villain for Spider-Man, a larger organized opponent for Captain America or Iron Man again, or a global threat for an Avengers movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It is sort of a weird gloss-over in the MCU movies that we never learn, after Stark Industries stops making weapons, what they actually do make. They're clearly still a big player given they can launch the Stark Expo in IM2 and get approached by AIM in IM3, but we don't see what they actually do now.

You can suggest arc reactor technology, but that's clearly still a personal project by Stark that he's not ready to distribute; Stark Tower was going to be a public test display of it in The Avengers, but then the events of The Avengers happened. In Winter Soldier we hear that Tony worked on the propulsion systems for Project Insight, but that's all, the actual company wasn't contracted for it. Ultron is a Stark project gone wrong, but he was a pipe dream that Tony and Bruce worked on personally for a few days before giving up on.

All we know is that Stark Industries is building the larger production stuff for Iron Man; the satellites, the mass-produced Iron Legion, all that. But given as far as we know nobody's paying for that, I can't imagine it's an extremely profitable venture.

For content: Age of Ultron is mostly mediocre and has no real connecting tissue to link its events together, but there's one scene I really like, where everybody, slightly drunk after a party, tries to lift Thor's hammer. There's a bunch of good character moments sprinkled throughout that scene (my personal favorite is that Rhodes tries to help Tony, but doesn't give it a shot himself), but the most important one is the blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment where Steve Rogers manages to shift it a tiny bit, and nobody but Thor notices. That's an important thing to cover to understand the requirements, since Cap's probably the most heroic person in these movies, but it's also a tip to Steve's own arc throughout the movie: Mjolnir's looking for a just ruler, and Steve is capable of that, but he's too stuck into fighting and being a soldier, he never wants the war to be over. He's more aware of that than Thor was about his own problems in his debut movie, though, so Steve can make something happen.

It also sets up that it's not just 'only Thor can wield it' which is paid off later where Vision shows himself able to pick it up. That scene itself has a neat little moment to it that we don't actually see him pick it up, we only see him handing it over, because nobody in the scene is actually paying attention to that part.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jun 5, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
There's a Twitter thread going around of small movie moments. My personal favorite, and one don't actually think I noticed when watching:

https://twitter.com/cordialwombat/status/1017229921037488128

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Jul 12, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Hulk's actually not gonna get his own movies for the forseeable future because of rights snarl; Universal has the rights to using the Hulk's name for movies, and they don't wanna make any more (either in full or in the MCU, I dunno), so while he gets to be in other movies he won't be getting a standalone.

The only way you'd get more Hulk movies is in the vein of Thor Ragnarok, where they have a Hulk story (in that case an adaptation of Planet Hulk) in somebody else's movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly, everything about the main conflict of Civil War falls apart because the thing that leads the divide is aimed squarely at controlling the Avengers. In the comics it was a registration act that all supers would be affected by, so each side's leader made sense: Captain America believes in personal freedom, so he's pushing against something that reduces it, meanwhile Iron Man is demanding more structure and control because he's all about solving problems with structure and control, especially when he gets to control it.

In the movie, because it's solely about them, putting those two on the same sides as they were originally just doesn't feel right. Cap isn't fighting for everyone's freedom, he's fighting for their freedom specifically, the Sokovia Accords don't affect anybody else. And Iron Man supporting them is even further out of character, because everything Tony Stark does before, during and after Civil War is him doing poo poo because he's deemed it The Right Thing To Do and refusing to relinquish control over anything (remember how he treats Spider-Man; he never stops acting like this even when saying they shouldn't). Neither characters' motivation makes sense, and honestly very few of the others do either.

Also they can't play the 'whose side are you on' cards when the leader of only one side is in the movie's title. Even DC figured that part out, come on guys.

...I may have really disliked that movie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Her career is just so genuinely, delightfully weird if you're not paying full attention to her. She crops up in a bunch of the internet-favorite late 00s British comedies like Mitchell and Webb and Look Around you, she's a constant fixture on Peep Show, she gets a couple bit parts in larger things like Hot Fuzz... and then you're not looking for a couple years and suddenly she's a serious dramatic actress on Broadchurch and then gets cast as the Queen. I'm sure it was a more understandable transition for people who follow British media more closely, butfor me it was just "wait, who are we talking about? Her? Is 'Olivia Colman' the same person as 'Liv Colman'?"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Shai-Hulud posted:

I'm still sad that she declined to be the next Doctor Who. She would have been amazing.

Did she actually decline, or did she just not get picked? I can't find proof she ever contended for the part; all I can find is proof that she wants to 'a really horrible bad guy', which is a desire I respect and agree with.

I really wanted her to be the new Doctor when speculation was most recently abound, because she'd do a fantastic job of it, but what we've seen of Jodie Whittaker in the role and her enthusiasm for it in interviews, I don't want anybody else to play the Doctor, ever again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

And in every single one, he looks like a different flavor of fruit chew.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Krispy Wafer posted:

It is a tragedy that noted Superhero fan Nic Cage never got to be in the recent string of superhero films*. He'd have made a fantastic villain.

*yeah yeah Ghostrider I know. It feels like cheating though when he's mostly CGI.

If you permit voice-only roles, he's in the upcoming Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse as Spider-Man Noir.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Scooby-Doo never really stopped being kinda hilarious about celebrity cameos, mostly by just committing really hard to the bit. Just a few years ago, they did a movie with KISS, and it's probably even more ridiculous than you're picturing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V25nZdIjUGI

There's also the TV series that ended with Harlan Ellison recruiting Mystery Inc.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more Parks and Rec cameos. IIRC only Adam Scott showed up.

Jason Mantzoukas was in both. I didn't watch Parks and Rec, so I don't know any more, I just knew Jason from Brooklyn 99.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So an unrelated cute little thing from a related sitcom, Brooklyn 99. In one episode of season 5, they bring back a gag from season 1, of Jake trying to break someone during an interrogation by playing a guitar badly and screaming. It's an extremely unsubtle joke, with a bit of an edge that as an audience we know Andy Samberg is a known musician. But I just found a Youtube video that put them right next to each other, and realized something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb8BCNPRrCM&t=190s

(At 3:10 if it doesn't go there)

Jake got better at guitar!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
They don't detect all of them, it seems. I've been using one to claim Americanism to watch The Flash. Of the four US regions it offers, three of them are picked up as VPNs, but not the fourth for some reason.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I will say that I was surprised at the difference in tone between Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's musical numbers (which I see on YouTube all the time) and the actual show when I sat down to watch it. It's not bad, but outside of the musical numbers it is really awkward and kinda painful, but not in a bad way. Rebecca Bunch is a goddamn trainwreck of a person.

BioEnchanted posted:

Here is an example of a song that exemplifies this from Season 4, where Rebecca is struggling with Agoraphobia due to things that are happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEM-qhf55w

The musical numbers can be really good at calling back to older stuff, though, in ways that aren't always obvious. This one's filled with musical cues from the season 1 theme song!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
But they did cast Mike Myers as the record exec who tries to argue against releasing Bohemian Rhapsody as a single, because they want a single that kids will play in their car driving down the freeway, and Bohemian Rhapsody can't be that.