Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

carry on then posted:

Anyone know what this is about?

I'm referring to the fact that it repeats, and that last line. Never could find an explanation.

They didn't terminate the string properly and.. I guess never bothered to patch it because it's not a big deal and nobody reads that poo poo anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

How is it even possible? It's a scripted event that is supposed to be the exact same every time and it's at the absolute beginning of the game so no player input can be made to screw it up at that point.

Have you played a Bethesda game before?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

The fake resets in the developer's room endings of Chrono Trigger/Cross are pretty evil too.

Hell there was one half-way through Chrono Trigger, in the monster town.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Toad on a Hat posted:

Wait what? Where was this?

One of the houses has an imp who says he's going to turn your game off for barging into your house, then it blanks the screen and mutes it for a few seconds.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

I put it on him to post a gif or a link to a video, because I am calling bullshit on that.

I'll see what I can do, depends on how fast I can get to Medina, I guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I had this happen to me in MGR Revengeance after a fight in the office building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itn6PDl0Rmc

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

It did? I wouldn't have noticed it if someone had told me. Even after I learned that tripping was a thing, I kept an eye out for it and never really saw it happen to anyone.

I've still never seen tripping. I think they toned it down in the PAL version or something, that's the only explanation I have :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rorac posted:

Crossposted from the World of Tanks thread, the devs added a racing mode recently using a special vehicle.

I think I just found a reason to even consider trying World of Tanks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Stuntman posted:

gently caress the copy of Smash, what the hell is going on with that guy's camera?

It's Youtube's anti-shake thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Your Computer posted:

A new and hilarious frontier for game glitches as more and more games include jiggle-physics. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nwPK1nyI0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

Is there a new grief thread btw?

Rectus posted:

Someone made a new griefing thread a while back. Might be a good idea to post your griefing stories there too.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764286

Right on this page, my dude. It didn't really get the same traction as the old one though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/UltimaBlues/status/843906346273689601

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BattleTech posted:

I posted about this in the Discord but I figured I'd post here for people without it.

A new gamebreaking glitch in DOA5 has been found. By doing a move and micro dashing through it's interval frames you can skip the startup and recovery animation of a move. It's been in the game since 5 vanilla but was just figured out completely on Sunday. People are now working it into combo's and it is wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fiGQSkQmo

https://gfycat.com/AlienatedJollyHammerheadshark

https://gfycat.com/LivelyGrandioseEstuarinecrocodile

https://twitter.com/RYOFU0128/status/1013781550746353664

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

To be perfectly honest, even having been told ahead of time, I don’t really see the glitch. The two gfycat links certainly have (slightly) buggy animation, but the amount of damage these attacks are doijg doesn’t seem out of the ordinary.

Rig is really not meant to be that fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawWmcKUqS0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gearbox was too busy sacrificing Timegate Studios to care.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Comics art got real bad

Oh, I dunno.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

Unless you were stupid enough to open WMV or WMA files, or you didn’t know any better. Microsoft decided it would be a really good idea to let developers implement their own DRM with them, meaning they could have them pop up a webpage or run scripts when opened.

Yeah, took me by surprise the first time that happened.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

Fun fact: The UI is made in Flash. Yes, that Flash.

Not all that uncommon and still happens from time to time these days.

Thankfully it's uh, a bit more responsive than say, the Flash UI in Secret World.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hackers film 1995 posted:

im confused. are companies excited about/promoting their games glitches? “lol wasnt that funny how defective this game is? haha you should buy it.”

Have you just never seen a blooper reel before or what.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I love Bionic Commando Rearmed 2's HYPE MODE, seen at about 2 minutes in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6v0QrIXa8

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/_taylorswope/status/1205252714680045568

Excellent payoff

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheShiningDown/status/1212216796700430336

WWWE2k20 just keeps on giving

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Does Deus Ex: Invisible War still have it's engine restart while you're playing it? I actually bought it recently after having played all other mainline deus exes.

There's a thing to make it less uh janky but yeah it does. The "Flesh Engine" was a mess

quote:

Actually, it was a heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 2, disgustingly dubbed the Flesh Engine (Unreal 2 was made on Unreal Engine 2.5 iirc). The limitations weren’t because of Unreal Engine 2, but because of the fact that the architect/lead programmer of the Flesh engine departed part of the way through the project and left behind no documentation, leaving both the Thief and the Deus Ex teams to work with a semi-broken engine that the programmer they hired to rework could only partially fix, due to the lack of documentation. The unfinished modifications to the engine also stripped it of a lot of things (like the ability to render and process water, oddly), and pushed the limitations of the amount of memory on the Xbox. The game was developed with the Xbox in mind, because Eidos and Ion Storm wanted to expand both Thief and Deus Ex series into the profitable console space, with PC capabilities of the time a complete non-concern. Which, I guess, makes it bad design.

The reloading thing is due to hitting the Xbox' RAM limit and the poor bastard who took up the mantle not having the resources to fix it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Isn't this why console speedruns usually use Japanese versions of games?

Usually it's because of things like faster text boxes (thanks kanji), bugs and exploits that were fixed in localised versions etc

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It wasn't to do with autoaim as such.

A Dude at 343 posted:

The Halo 2 projectiles issue was fun…. the first time it happened.

The issue was related to interpolation code that was added in fairly late and is only compiled in PC builds, and unintentionally the dedicated server build. Xbox builds do not compile the interpolation code. One change for interpolation was in a function that gets the camera position of a biped. Players control bipeds. At most, there are four local players, or ‘users’. This function was tweaked so that it would update and read from the interpolation data for the user controlling that biped. However, it was not handling the case where the user controlling the biped did not exist on that machine. So, the user index for non-local bipeds would be -1, which then caused entirely different memory in the interpolation state to be written to and read from. Well, this is further complicated by the fact that this same code path is used by the function that creates a weapon’s projectiles. Because to do that, the game needs to know where the player’s camera was aiming. When it comes to the host and remote players, the same code path is still taken but using the predicted weapon fire state of the remote player. Not all weapons are fired in the same predictive manner, which is why some weapons would inflict damage, while other weapons would not.

The fix here was one, not compile the code for the dedicated server, but also two, guard against cases where the user index was -1.

Halo 3 has various achievements related to players looking at very specific points on very specific maps. One of those maps is Valhalla (internally known as Riverworld). The code that performed these checks, once again, got the user index for a given player…but failed to sanity check that it was not -1, meaning that player was not local to the machine. It would then take that user index and use it to read and write from a static array that tracked how long players were looking at the sign on Valhalla that triggered the achievement after two seconds.

As it turns out, in the Xbox build that shipped with Halo 2’s release, the data immediately before that static array was the pointer to an address where we map some physical memory. What do we put in physical memory? All teh thingz! Game data, textures, you name it! Well, things don’t work so well if you say, zap that pointer with a zero (aka, NULL) or assign it with a game time which is very much not a valid address or more entertainingly, it is a valid address and then you get some very bad things to show up before crashing.

To make matters worse, the order static data appears in the executable will not always be the same. New code is added, some is removed, or a different build machine is used on the farm from the previous build. So, it could seem like it “works on my machine!”, or you load a debug build and nothing is going amuck. Now you must investigate things in a build with no debug code and with all the optimizations possible enabled. That is never fun.

Anyway, the fix? Check for -1. Do not do all teh thingz. Problem solved.

Here is a picture of the code that was ultimately doing The Bads. This has lived in MCC since 2014. Turns out landmines are not limited to Halo 3 gameplay, but the code too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i *think* these are stories of the bugs for the console release of the collection which is over half a decade old, not the recent arrival of it on pc

Nope

The worst of the MCC stuff is being/already is fixed up and I don't really blame 343 for it - MS is really breathing down their necks to get it all out there fast.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The best part is that there's 11 total engines involved.

Legacy UUI
Halo: CE legacy engine
Halo: CE remastered engine
Halo 2: legacy engine
Halo 2: remastered engine
Halo 3
ODST
Halo 4
Halo 2: Anniversary MP
Halo: Reach
UE4 (MCC menus)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's either Mudrunner or Snowrunner

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sonic Heroes (and Secret Rings) had a bunch of bad translation stuff because they didn't check for plurality, so you get "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" (there's one of them) and "You can get the pearl" (you get a lot of them).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

LMAO my face dumb glitch was how the mouths didn't match the dialogue in ANY language in Sonic adventure 1 & 2

And the speech was just so stilted sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbiemUjFTU

*extreme mouth movements*

"oh no."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dareon posted:

I don't think I'll ever get over my least favorite scene in Robot Alchemic Drive. The main character has a giant robot land practically on him, crushing the convenience store he was about to enter and sending him flying. The dialogue box has him going "Aaaaaaaah!" The voice actor goes "Ah?"

Not a bug, just bad voice acting. The only thing even close to a bug that I can remember in that game was how it was easier to beat the last boss by running your little human pilot alongside it and throwing grenades at its feet than it was to actually get in a giant robot punch-up with it.

That's exactly how RAD should be, though.

Nob Ogasawara posted here on the forums about getting people in to do the voice acting for RAD (hell if I can find that post now) and how the guy who played the professor was ex-military and really wanted to talk about VCRs or something weird like that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh that ain't no glitch (though I think they adjusted how much affection shop keepers got in Dark Arisen).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

speen

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Froste/status/1328924490072350721

someone please help miles

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Looks like Red Dead Redemption 2's online thing

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Not..really a 'glitch' I guess, but..Remember how Halo was clever with checkpoint issues, where if you died really fast after loading a checkpoint a few times it'd roll back to the previous one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpvHeSzc-E

I wish more games did that..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Reive posted:

'Game isn't great' is basically Jeff Gerstmann's middle name at this point, he's worn out and cynical as gently caress. Literally the only passion for gaming I see from him anymore is in his retrogame streams and even then he can still be depressed and dismissive of a lot of things.

Thanks for psychoanalyzing someone you don't know

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

He's already said one of his favourite things this year was Control but nope, he's an old husk only pleased by shoddy Sharp X1 games, so it is told.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

evobatman posted:

I was playing Cyberpunk earlier today, and in the Corp Rat prologue, apparently trees and shrubbery have no z-depth or whatever it is called, and are displayed on top of everything else. Very disconcerting to have a bunch of tiny trees crossing over the floor in your helicopter as you fly over a park.

That's a driver issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They stopped taking payment for subs in 1.2x or something