Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So I've played the Dawn of War games and enjoyed the fluff for years, and because I've now got a bit of money decided to get into the proper game.

Any suggestions for a newb who wants to play Eldar (I always liked playing Eldar the most in DoW skirmish)? Someone I know suggested I start with 2x Battle Force, a Far Seer and Fire Dragons, and work from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I wasn't expecting to win very often anyway, but oh well, at least I'll have fun! :dance:

The guy who put together the 'My First Warhammer Army' for me also said, as optional extras if I was feeling spendy, add another battleforce, Howling Banshees and Rangers.

Living in Aus makes acquiring affordable minis difficult, even online, but I have a few leads.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah Combat Company are where I'll probably end up. Thanks for the ebay link, another store someone found for me was this - http://www.geekgames.co/index.asp - anyone heard of them before?

Eldar seem to be unpopular and frequently out of stock... I guess I've found out why. Planning to make it an Yme-Loc army, but instead of the normal orange-red with gray, I'm going to make them the most eye searing shade of safety orange known to man with a blue-grey or charcoal.

I wasn't planning on getting the Banshees just yet. Reading this thread it sounded like close combat is out in 6th Ed. and I should concentrate on shooty things?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I heard that Eldar were due for an update, and that new models in boxes were already sitting in warehouses, and was going to wait for that... but was advised that "update coming soon" could mean anything from 2 months to 2 years, based on GW history, so get something fun, using mostly generic troops that aren't likely to change models much, and I won't have wasted any money if the update does come quickly.

If anyone has any other suggestions for Babby's first army though, I'm all ears.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Welp, the store near my Canadian friends that they had been building their armies from had a Boxing Day, in stock items only sale that made them the cheapest on the planet to get minis from. Since the friends were already going to send me Cards Against Humanity, they're getting a bigger box and sending me the Battleforce, Farseer w/ Warlocks, Fire Dragons, Banshees, Falcon and Jetbike I ordered. Once they have more stock I'll add another 2 battleforce, 2 jetbikes and a Ranger squad, then source some paints (already found the eye searing Orange I want on eBay) and green stuff locally and get cracking on my army :dance:

Now to read the rulebook and the codex to figure out what sort of terrible army I can make out of 30 Guardians w/ 3 support weapons, 15 Dire Avengers, 6 Banshees, 6 Fire Dragons, 5 Rangers, 3 War Walkers, 3 Wave Serpents, 3 Guardian Jetbikes, a Falcon and a Farseer :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So I tried to make my first list, a 1500 point detachment using only the models I currently own, the only things I own not in this list are two complete guardian squads and half a Dire Avenger squad. After a bit of research I decided more dakka was better for Eldar, and tried to stick to that.

How'd I do?

Edit: I'm thinking I might be short on powers/war gear, and might need to dump a squad in order to beef up at least my Far Seer

code:
+++ Yme-Loc Army (1489pts) +++
+++ 1500pt Eldar 6th Ed (2006) Roster (Primary Detachment)) +++

Selections:

Eldar 6th Ed (2006) (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ (No Category) + (90pts)

* Warlocks (150pts)
        (Psyker, Warlock Powers)
        * Warlock (30pts)
            Psychic: Embolden (5pts) (Psychic: Embolden), Rune armour, Shuriken pistol, Witchblade
        * Warlock (30pts)
            Psychic: Embolden (5pts) (Psychic: Embolden), Rune armour, Shuriken pistol, Witchblade
        * Warlock (30pts)

+ HQ + (105pts)

* Farseer (105pts)
        (Farseer's Psychic Powers, Fleet, Independent Character, Psyker)
        Ghosthelm (Ghosthelm), Psychic: Fortune (30pts) (Psychic: Fortune), Psychic: Guide (20pts) (Psychic: Guide), Rune armour (Rune Armour), Shuriken pistol, Witchblade

+ Elites + (451pts)

* Fire Dragons (228pts)
        (Fleet)
        * Exarch (33pts)
            Crack Shot (5pts) (Crack Shot), Fusion gun, Melta bombs (Melta Bombs)
        * 5x Fire Dragon (80pts)
            5x Fusion gun, 5x Melta bombs (Melta Bombs)
        * Wave Serpent (115pts)
            Twin-linked scatter lasers (25pts), Twin-linked shuriken catapults

* Howling Banshees (223pts)
        (Fleet)
        * Exarch (28pts)
            Banshee mask (Banshee Mask), Power weapon, Shuriken pistol
        * 5x Howling Banshee (80pts)
            5x Banshee mask (Banshee Mask), 5x Power weapon, 5x Shuriken pistol
        * Wave Serpent (115pts)
            Twin-linked scatter lasers (25pts), Twin-linked shuriken catapults

+ Troops + (528pts)

* Dire Avengers (272pts)
        (Fleet)
        * 9x Dire Avenger (108pts)
            9x Avenger shuriken catapult
        * Exarch (29pts)
            Two avenger shuriken catapults (5pts)
        * Wave Serpent (135pts)
            Twin-linked brightlances (45pts), Twin-linked shuriken catapults

* Guardian Jetbike Squadron (66pts)
        * 3x Guardian Jetbike (66pts)
            * 3x Eldar jetbike
                (Eldar Jetbike)
                3x Twin-linked shuriken catapult

* Guardians (95pts)
        (Fleet, Guardian Heavy Weapon Platform)
        Scatterlaser (15pts)
        * 8x Guardian (64pts)
            8x Shuriken catapult
        * 2x Guardian crew (16pts)
            2x Shuriken catapult

* Rangers (95pts)
        (Fleet, Masters of Stealth)
        * 5x Ranger (95pts)
            5x Ranger long rifle, 5x Shuriken pistol

+ Heavy Support + (315pts)

* Falcon (135pts)
        Eldar missile launcher (20pts), Pulse Laser, Twin-linked shuriken catapults

* War Walker Squadron (180pts)
        (Scouts)
        * War Walker (60pts)
            Scatter laser (15pts), Scatter laser (15pts)
        * War Walker (60pts)
        * War Walker (60pts)
Created with BattleScribe

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 5, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Anyone else notice that it cheaper to buy GW models from Forgeworld than it is to buy the exact same kit from GW? A Tau Piranha or Hammerhead is about $2.50 cheaper on Forgeworld than the exact same kit is at GW. And a Fex is almost $4 cheaper.

Unless I'm mistaken, a complete FW Falcon mk II including shipping is $20 cheaper than a GW Falcon with free shipping in Aus. Sticking with ebay and FW (and my suitcase on holiday) for all my vehicle needs as I build my army.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Is there a thing against cross posting? I've put this 28mm Laser Cut Terrain in the TG KS thread, but I don't think everyone reads that - I've backed this project because it looks super cool, and I don't understand why it isn't already funded and on the way to a stretch goal already. The only thing I can think of is lack of coverage, and being buried by the Secret Weapon plastic terrain.

The coolest pictures are on the updates page, which is all public.

Want to arrange my Eldar spaceelfbarbies in new ways every time :3:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LordAba posted:

The wraithknight almost looks too riptide to me, though that might be because they have come out one-after-another. Being piloted by a weeping eldar doesn't help.

The Wraithknight looks like a sleeker Riptide rather than a larger guard/lord, and I don't like it. ProbablyDefinitely won't be getting one, would rather spend half the money and get a much better looking Wraithseer from FW.

The fighter looks kinda cool though, need a less blurry image.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Here we go, next set of leaked images

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 21, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A front on view of the fighter over the top of the new Farseer

Wraithguard with swords instead of axes

Edit: Ninjad :orks:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 21, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chance II posted:

Anybody know if Forge World ever did special rules for the Tallarn models they have on their website. I've looked at them from time to time for awhile now and they look very nice.

There's a page of rules for a Tallarn army near the back of Imperial Armour Vol 3 - The Taros Campaign, for a Tallarn Platoon command squad, 2-5 Infantry squads and a Rough Rider squadron

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 31, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I also added myself to the list - Adelaide, Australia - even though the majority of my first army (Eldar) is still on a container ship somewhere between Vancouver and Sydney, so I'm realistically a good couple of months away from actually being able to play.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AgentF posted:

Right, then. We must game. Chuck me an e-mail if you're interested.

Actually considering we're in Adelaide there's a good chance we've already played each other and are probably also related as well.

I'll definitely let you know once I have an army, and it's in a state fit to be put on a table. I'm a bit hesitant to walk into one of the two GW stores and say "I've never played before, and never shopped here before, but here's 1500 points of Eldar, who wants to go?"

We probably went to school together, and had mutual friends from university

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

It took a solid week of painting, but I finished my Techno-Plague Marines! I really hope you guys like caution stripes, because there's a lot of caution stripes.

Is that the plasma weapon glowing green over everything near it? If so, awesome.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I finally received my the bulk of my Eldar starter army purchase from a long sea mail voyage today, and ordered some magnets and the last paints I'd decided on this afternoon. Feels good :dance:

Added them to the rest, and this is what I have

Managed to avoid everything but wonky swords and spears in the finecast boxes too. Awesome to finally get them so that I can get started on painting, and I don't need to make any more orders.

...except, you know, just one more. To get a Wraithfighter, and two squad of Wraithguard. Also I need some Striking Scorpions and Warp Spiders, Rangers, Illic Nightspear and a Death Jester. I really like those Shadow Spectres and Wraithseer from Forgeworld too. Oh jeebas, what's going on, what's happening to me? :ohdear:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cataphract posted:

Where are your wave serpents?

Edit: oh right in the three battle forces.

These are the old ones, so 30 Guardians, 15 Dire Avengers, 3 War Walkers and 3 Serpents.

My plan is to have a bunch of different all the types, so that I can play different styles as the mood takes me, for funsies. In the end it seemed a bit :spergin: to laser focus and only buy units for the one/best possible setup, even if it would have been cheaper. Powergaming is too much :effort:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ghost Hand posted:

Thunderhawk almost done. Warhound .... close. Zone Mortalis is in line behind some other things... ok I get your point. But that IS a crapload of Eldar!

Hey, I only have 3073 points of Eldar right now, that's not much, right? :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sephyr posted:

What is the name of this? Is it CSM-only?

Legion Deimos Pattern Whirlwind Scorpius

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

More exciting for me than anyone else really, but I just finished assembling (unless anyone spots some more cleanup needed) the first minis I have ever made, and I plan to Oath them in August

This Guardian Heavy Weapon Platform Crew is out all night to get lucky :rock:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MrBims posted:

You can buy a top load duffel bag that seals with metal clips from an army surplus or online, and put a bunch of towels and other luggage in it with your box and put a 2 dollar padlock through the clips to stop anyone but you from opening it.

Personal experience, the TSA will hack off - by destroying the lock or the bag, whichever is easiest - any padlock you put on a checked bag, unless it's one of those expensive ones listed as TSA approved because they have the master keys to open them. That way there's only a 50% chance they'll hack them off.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't like the Newcrons because they went from menacing ancient evil to comical tomb lords in space, and it feels like it took something away from the Eldar fluff. I'm totally unable to reconcile the current necrons with the ones that nearly wiped the infant Eldar out - they're just not remotely scary in a fiction sense anymore. Sacrificing the mystery and unknown for some character might have worked, but the sacrifice was too big and the character they went with too stupid.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Soulfucker posted:

My cousin linked me this (tiny) teaser of that upcoming 40k game and I didn't see it in the thread so: http://www.eternalcrusade.com/

At least it looks like they've nailed the atmosphere. :black101:

I dunno, the Chaos guy sounds a little pansy, and the Eldar a little Chaos

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Groetgaffel posted:

Yeah, if you want the fluff and pretty pictures, get the hardback.

If he wants fluff and pretty pictures, The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions is fantastic, it was my first step into 40k after the Dawn of War games

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's too much Marine in here right now, so crossposting my first painted minis from the oath thread

NTRabbit posted:

I painted their helmets like Daft Punk, because the silver one had a visor just begging to be painted like that.

Eldar by day...

...and by night. Yep, that's my gimmick.

For reference, they're standing on a box of 12 year old Edradour Single Malt :colbert:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 31, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm reading the .mobi format SM codex, and apparently the XVIIth Legion is now known as the 'World Bearers'.

Sure, I can understand the odd typo happening in the fluff, but how do you get the name of a Legion wrong?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Corrode posted:

e: NTRabbit the book is horribly edited in general. It makes me loving furious because I could literally go in for an afternoon per codex and make their presentation 100x better. See also: the Imperial Fists proudly carrying on the proud traditions of Rogal Dorn

This is the first time I've read a lot of the 40k era SM fluff myself, rather than hearing about it second hand, but it seems like they've made a few changes, such as:
  • Black Templars no longer number in the hundred thousands, instead having a normal number of marines split into their irregular crusades. It even says the entire chapter occasionally assembles as one for a single mission, which I recall being an event which never happens because the true scope of the chapter would terrify the Inquisition into action

• Vulkan survived the drop site massacre, and debated the Codex with the Smurf King before getting an exemption for the already smaller than a chapter Salamanders, and after that he's not mentioned again.

• Khan no longer disappeared chasing Dark Eldar into the webway, he vanished chasing a "mighty enemy across the galaxy". Instead, a later chapter master disappeared chasing the Dark Eldar.

Granted this may not all be new, but it seems new to me

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PierreTheMime posted:

That's what the He'stan's purpose is, afterall. The Salamanders believe that once they recover all of Vulkan's lost/hidden artifacts that Vulkan himself will return to his people. He's not dead, just away indefinitely presumably punching daemon princes.

It doesn't explain his disappearance though, just mentions in a much later paragraph how the Salamanders changed "after his disappearance". In fact, the fluff about the primarchs mentioned in the book doesn't have a lot of detail, only the death of Rogal Dorn is actually explained in any detail - even Ferrus Manus "died at the hands of his brother", and the way it was written heavily implies that it was Horus who killed him.

Corax and Vulkan just disappeared, Khan disappeared chasing a might enemy, and King Smurf is in stasis with a slash across his neck without specifying how or why.

On the other hand, it's hard to imagine how the Imperium has any enemies left in the galaxy to face, after reading about Marneus Calgar and his Ultramarines.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 8, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Deviant posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for alternate Centurion suit models?

Forgeworld Contemptor Dreadnoughts, which look way better

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mango Polo posted:

That's what was said about titans. Hence the reason why all of their titan-equivalents are planes. Doesn't contradict having a mid-size suit.

Expect that to be changed again in 7th, when they introduce a Titan sized Tau unit that is made from 5 Broadside sized suits all joining together, requiring you to not only buy the giant Voltron Tau for $320 - titans being part of 40k games by then - but the 5 smaller suits it's formed from as well for $280 a squad, because it can only transform if you have the squad on the battlefield. :homebrew:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Babe Magnet posted:

Have you ever wanted to own the Ultra Marines? As in, all of the Ultramarines?

Where are the Thunderhawks? :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Edit: Wow is vallejo model colour thick. Was trying to rifle out 5 vehicles black half and wasn't getting any paint out of the airbrush. Thought I had diluted it well enough but a thick spot sank to the bottom. Now I've used the time I was supposed to be airbrushing to cleaning it out.

Are we using the same paints? My Vallejo model colour Dark Sea Blue is so thin that even just dipping the brush in water before the paint waters it down so much it rivals my Nuln Oil in consistency and coverage.

Edit: I guess it's different when you do it by hand rather than spraygun, but Vallejo does have a spraygun range iirc

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Does anyone know how i can go about finding a power sword for my Harlequin Troupe Master? It's literally the only thing missing from the sprues, though the other weapons are mostly bent, and I'm about two continents away from the store I bought them in.

If not, I could always make him a One-handed clown I guess.

I'm also after a couple of tank/war walker canopies after i lost one and cracked another, but every bitz seller I can find is sold out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seems like it's happening

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cessna posted:

That's the cover of the Dark Heresy Inquisitor's Handbook.

Wouldn't a new Codex use new art?

Look, don't get me wrong, I have a Sisters army myself, I'd love to see this. But I've had my hopes dashed so many times before...

I make no guarantees over the veracity of the image, just sharing the link as it was shared to me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Vondizimo posted:

Saul, Kharn, etc will probably get models. Gator and the socialite too.

Suddenly picturing Malcador in a fingertip length minirobe and platform heels simultaneously name dropping and insulting a Kardashian sister at a bar so hip it doesn't have a name yet :psypop:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Crossposting grimglowdark

I can just see my Eldar, as they're running towards the back of the Serpent, holding out their hands with a red left thumb and a green right thumb so that they remember which side of the tank is which :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Direwolf posted:

If they're legally in the right here (which I have no idea) they're being as lenient as is legally possible without just giving up the intellectual rights they claim to have here entirely.

C&D orders aren't necessarily legal, they're usually used when you have uncertain legal footing as a bludgeon against people who can't afford a lawyer to point it out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fearless posted:

I read something a while back that said a lot of GW's mania for secrecy stems from their exclusive rights to Lord of the Rings miniatures. To get and keep those rights, they had to demonstrate a high degree of information security because New Line wasn't exactly keen on images from the movies being released early through a company they didn't directly control.

I don't mind GW being litigious; they have a right to determine how their products are used before they are released (or even sold) but I do wish they'd learn how to tease better.

I'd prefer they stuck within legal bounds while rightfully protecting their property; that whole incident with the novelist and 'space marine' makes it clear they're far more interested in snatching things they don't have a right to, rather than protecting what they do.

Also yes, they suck royally at PR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sykic posted:

How does GW normally go about replacing individual models? The servitors in the kit are fine, or as fine as finecast can be at least. It's literally just that one bit that's come out looking like rear end.

I recently had a missing sword + hand from my Harlequin Troupe Master, I just emailed support with what was wrong, told them the store I bought it from - they specified GW store too - and they mailed me out a replacement tiny bit of sprue with the weapon on it, no charge, nothing else. Imagine they'd do the same for your one bit as well.

• Locked thread