Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Holy poo poo, this is great. I am literally angry with rage that I have to stop reading and sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Due to this thread, I finally got around to finishing Sumire 16. It was awesome. I then went to reread Sumire 17, but it seems to have never been fully translated. Is this in fact the case, or does someone know where a man might find more comics about a grown man attending high school with a puppet of a high school girl?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I don't think I get the baseball bit at all.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was great. Any idea whether anymore is forthcoming? Preferably from someone else, given the quality of the translation.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think the real limiting factor for series getting their own threads is their English release schedule. Months going by with no update kills a thread pretty quick.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

vkeios posted:

The first volume came out in 2010 and the second volume came out last month. The situation is Voynich is printed in Young Champion Retsu, a magazine that almost never gets scanned and dumped online, and the scanlator isn't interested in importing piles of magazines.

Speaking of new threads to expose people to cool things. Dowman Sayman could use one once Voynich volume 2 is completed; which should be soon (the translator is trying to do 5 chapters a week). Nickelodeon Red is complete, Green's being worked on, there's the 2 volumes of Voynich, and there's a ton of short stories that are a pain to find on the translator's blog; so there's a lot to chat about.

actually i'll give making this thread a try if no one else wants to do it.

I absolutely encourage you to make this thread.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
From the "Recommend a manga" thread:

Popehoist posted:

Bumping this to let you guys know this manga has been confirmed for an anime:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

New Flying Witch - http://mangafox.me/manga/flying_witch_ishizuka_chihiro/c006/1.html

Makoto's sister picks the best gifts.

EDIT: That crow was as big as Chinatsu's entire head. :stare:

Yesss. I'm really enjoying this manga. It's so subdued yet undeniably surreal.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Some kind of ursine moe Calvin and Hobbes, maybe?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks, Joshlemagne, that was fun!

I haven't seen the raws and so can't comment on the translation, but the editing seemed sufficient to the task.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm not sure if there's any manga I'm enjoying as much as Seki-kun right now. I always have the biggest grin on my face the whole way through, generally starting from the throw-away panel at the beginning.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That is just fantastic. This is my favorite thread.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

seki-kun.jpg :allears:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
More girl-clones-herself manga!

edit: or rather, is cloned, I suppose. Either way, still great, still absurd/surreal!

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 9, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I'm cross-quoting this from the Convince someone to read a manga with one image thread, because it really fits in well here. One can only hope more gets made.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

:swoon:: Such a romantic gift!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

gnome7 posted:

My votes for a top 5:

1: Voynich Hotel
2: Angel Densetsu
3: Sumire 16
4: Midori Days
5: Tonari no Seki-Kun

Assuming that we're leaving off mangas that have their own spinoff threads (although they should perhaps be linked to) and therefore Hinamatsuri is ineligible, I mostly like this. However, I'd make it unranked and drop Midori for either Centaur's Worries or Girls' Group Number 7. Also cheat Sumire 16 & 17 into one.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Who cares about lists! There's more cloned girls!

/edit: I'm surprised the rain didn't insta-gib her. That's harsh.

We actually have a thread just for this awesome manga!

This thread has more children than a mixed Catholic-Mormon family.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New Zai x 10 a few days back.

I wasn't caring for how ribbon girl is showing up in everything, but she was pretty great this chapter.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think that completed things should have priority in any new OP. Any newcomers to the thread will look at the first post and the most recent page(s). Then they could get completed things from the OP and ongoing things from when we post about new chapters.

That or just two separate lists for best completed and best ongoing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New chapter of Flying Witch.

That line at the end slayed me.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 21, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yokoi's reasoning for which cards win reminds me of my girlfriend's logic for which Magic card is better: the prettier one.

Chapter 50 put that one to shame, though. So good, and it's always great when Yokoi gets the better of Seki.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Centaur is much better when it's :stare: and :godwin: than when it's :stare: and :boobs:.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:lol:

Oh boy, I hope we get an explanation on why that dude was using a female robot instead of a male one :haw:

His sister's probably considered really weird for using a bot that looks like herself.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

.Clash posted:

New Flying Witch wanted to meet that bear.

That cat's faces were great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

coathat posted:

The stories in this collection keep getting better and better. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/the-dragons-seven-adorable-children-r10172

It's a shame more of her stuff isn't getting translated.

This is really good. Thanks for sharing!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

I haven't read Nickelodeon other than this. Is it all loopy dreamlike, hosed-up short stories like this?

Yes. Doc, considering what I understand of your tastes, you owe it to yourself to read Nickelodeon.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I love how all pretense that they aren't just playing together has vanished. No trace of "I'm trying to study" or "I'm playing by myself" remains.

This panel in particular captures that well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

What in the world is going on in that first panel?

I think he's trying to guess what's in the box by feel alone. It's about as pointless as one of his games could get.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

It's a new fashion-minded Seki-kun!

I love the title page illustration. Truly, Seki is a genius for the ages.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

what

edit:
This has always been a mood whiplash sort of series, but this takes the weirdness to a wholly different place (hah!). The strangest stuff has always been unrelated to our protagonists, or at most vaguely adjacent to them. This is... a significant escalation of weird.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 29, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I bet the next chapter with these characters will have everything back to normal with no explanation as to what happened.

Nipponophile posted:

No way. She's going to have a confrontation with the winged girl who's running the other country, and it's going to be class rep. The war will turn out to be a horrible misunderstanding, and the Antarcticans step in from behind the scenes to get them home safely.

Even odds, but it's definitely one of these.

Or maybe some Frankensteining of both, where the next chapter ends with startled recognition on their faces as class rep. and... oh my, I can't remember anyone's names right now... centaur girl meet each other at the height of a climactic battle, and the next next chapter has everything back to normal.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Carpator Diei posted:

Centaur's Worries is probably the only manga that has two entirely distinct reasons for being in this thread.

edti: I sure wonder how Class Rep subdued that northern kingdom. Did she flap her wings so hard that the wind blew everyone's weapons out of their hands?

She's used to keeping children in line and is smart with modern ideas. I imagine hers was a much less confrontational takeover.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Looks like the class rep has more important things to worry about than ruling some medieval/fantasy kingdom:

Carpator Diei posted:

Centaur's Worries is probably the only manga that has two entirely distinct reasons for being in this thread.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy loving poo poo hold the phones and shut up about whinin', after three years of nothing there's a new Dainana Joshikai Houkou!

Already off to a great start :allears:

Awesome. I loving love this manga. Here's hoping updates continue.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Two more Centaur's. The first seems to be continuing the plot from a couple chapters ago. The second, less so.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Beautiful. I love how Hinamatsuri is barely even about Hina any more.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Girls Group No. 7 updated!! As usual it's kind of whimsical and dreamlike. Also featuring: the ugliest fairy in history. :ironicat:

I am very enthused that this is being translated again.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I own the limited edition School Swimsuit Ver. Pretty Horn Figma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Man, I love Seki-kin so much. This was a great chapter. Yokoi playing along fully while class continues around them is the best thing. They aren't even trying to pretend that they aren't just playing kids' games together in the back of the classroom.

I always have the same praise for Seki-kun, but then, it's always the same thing. And it's always great (though I was underwhelmed by the previous chapter).

• Locked thread