Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Geoj posted:

My brother sent me this, apparently it's a Koenigsegg employee's Opel Kadet.

Is there any way to make cheap carpeting stand up to the kind of abuse that car carpets have to? I'm asking for a friend....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

scuz posted:

:eyepop: If someone told me that was the concept for the 2018 Honda Civic I would've believed them. Ugh those look so cool.

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/honda/z/18893039/

Got a spare $10k?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Bold words.

I think if you tried to make a PT Shooting Brake it'd end up some bastard child of a Prowler, though.

You say that like it's a bad thing

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

It's Chrysler. It'd somehow keep the gutless shitbox PT engine and add all the Prowler's suspension headaches.

I won't defend the internals, (because who designs an homage to the classic hot rod, but only puts in a V6 and an automatic transmission) but those cars look drat good. They should have all been Howlers to begin with though... Maybe if the Howler was at least offered as a trim package, like the Hellcat, Chrysler wouldn't have spent a decade congratulating themselves for reskinning a Neon.

It sounds weird now, but the PT Cruiser won multiple awards for its styling, so in a very Chrysler move, they sat with their thumbs up their asses until we all grew to hate that fat pig

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

A much heavier iron block V8 that made 230hp would have been very different? It would probably have been worse.

~80 more ft/lbs of torque, a real transmission, a simplified drive train, a larger fuel tank, and an actual rear differential. It wouldn't be a night and day comparison, but it would be a significantly better vehicle that its target audience wouldn't automatically hate

E: why am I defending Chrysler design decisions? I mean, the Howler was Plymouth trying to save their roadster, and themselves, the cheapest way possible, but I may be having a small stroke to care this much about the book of "what could have been" that Chrysler is still writing

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 15, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'm kind of surprised that those pretty much all sound like low volume, high revving, 4cyl engines. Wouldn't a larger engine be easier to get power out of? I love the different turbo noises though. Now I understand why MMC thought that 2SEXY sounded good, because I thought it sounded like death, but it was just the sound of a classic racer coming out of a dying car

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, it's a tube chassis wheelie kart with a PT-cruiser shaped fiberglass shell.

Still pretty cool, but not 'PT Cruiser Doing a Wheelie' cool.

Well, it's basically impossible to wheelie a PT without doing that stuff first. It weighs a poo poo ton for such a small vehicle, is built on the not exactly rugged Neon body, and is FWD.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Series rules.

That'll do it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Is this guy a goon? His videos feel very prescient to this thread...
https://youtu.be/hoxqtnI4I4c
https://youtu.be/wxukemJYNpM

Yes I know that it's the wrong thread for most of the stuff in these videos, but it's related to previous discussions. Plus, that Wagon and Hatch in the Mopar one are definitely in the right thread

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

HandlingByJebus posted:

I wore my Bad Obsession t-shirt today, because it is Binky day. :D

It's a glorious holiday that comes but twice a year, but is made more magical by its unpredictable nature and whimsical energy

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

To me it looks like a fat lady wearing a dress with a skinny belt.

For the real "two different cars in one" effect, you need to look at a BMW i3.

this is all i can see

Multiplas look like a cicada that's only halfway through molting

That BMW looks really angry at me for being behind it...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Root Bear posted:

I got to set the wheel alignment on a recently restored one last fall. After hearing what it was potentially worth, I didn't mind so much that I wasn't allowed to test drive it afterwards:

:stwoon:

Jesus, an uglier one sold on BJ for $2.1 million. I can't imagine how nervous I would be even taking a wrench to one of those beauties

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

JingleBells posted:

Nah, you use it to extend the effect:

That is some dedication

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

This is really good advice. It's an awesome movie with some rad racing, but you're definitely going to want to be high.

Or for drinks...
http://www.alcohollywood.com/redline-2009-wgrant-of-chip-ironicus/

I didn't realize that it was a legit good movie, I just saw "From the __ of Paprika" and ignored it as the anime version of the live-action Speed Racer, but I might have to track it down this weekend

E:page snipe

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Believe it or not this guy is practically lucid compared to the full-throated screams of blinding, inarticulate rage I've heard come out of rotary rebuild shops when looking at housings that got ate up by parts-store seals.

I don't know, have you seen his About Us page?

E: If you listen to The FPlus, this engine builder's(???) site reminds me Dr. Rev. John Kitchen Esq.

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 7, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know if this belongs here, but it is oddly satisfying

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Should have bought so you could post about it in the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread and we could all laugh at you.

I don't know, depending on where he lives, I would gladly follow a thread about a guy in Montana trying to keep a Vega from rusting in half

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

Nobody's ever gonna look at both sides of the car at the same time just stamp it wherever.

But they will know

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

And my entire family asked why I didn't want to drive on seized brakes...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

^^^^
That essay is way too real when you combine it with part of an interview he did in the summer where he explains his weird rear end sense of humor as an extension of how uncomfortable he felt in normal social situations while growing up.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SAGXD9IkM&t=330s The tone that The Roman takes in the comments makes it sound like the video is supposed to be a satirical bit exaggerating the awkward and isolating problems of working from home, but Mr. Regular did do that college visit video for no discernable reason... If it's satire, well, it's really effective given how it showed up appropos of nothing and sounds like his paniced Falcon videos when it would overheat and die everytime they tried to get the car moving. If it's earnest, I hope he's seeking help

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's crazy how cool the hub of the rotor remains even as the outside is getting eaten up.

It's a testament to the design of the lovely, econobox brake rotors and wheel bearings that even with the disc at +2,000F, the hub portion stayed under 160F and was almost entirely intact after the explosion. Hell, the transmission gave out before the second brake did, which is the most surprising part of the thermal camera section to me

Also, the phrase, "I made accidentally burnout," before jamming a railroad spike through the holes in his steely is worth hearing in that crazy thick accent

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

PopeOnARope posted:

Terrible video production for a hideous car, what a match made in heaven.

Doug DeMuro is a special man. I hate him, but I feel compelled to watch the unfunny garbage he produces because he fills a niche no one else really can

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I'm happy enough to talk about cars you can almost but not quite afford, while smirking to myself about a joke I haven't made yet.

Ok, unfunny garbage was a bit harsh, but if his show was about anything else, I would find him insufferable instead of just a little too tedious. His PT Cruiser video is unwatchable

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

Gale Banks has some choice words on the subject every time someone brings it up. This is a pretty good summary: http://assets.bankspower.com/mag_article_files/100/8Lug_Jan13_carb.pdf

https://youtu.be/b18R5ZEKxuc
His /DRIVE interview is pretty cool if you only have a basic knowledge of diesel or forced induction

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Oh no Mr. Insurance, it's not a sports car, it has a backseat. Clearly that makes it a family car

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The right weirdo will be pretty happy about this Vespa 400 but I don't know if they fetch much money.

I know of 2 rotting in storage but have never otherwise seen one in person.

Those look like cartoons! They liked the little things enough to throw a 4 speed onto that tiny engine, and I love the little blurb there about performance

quote:

With only 14 hp (10 kW), top speed is 50 to 55 mph (80 to 90 km/h), depending on road grade, wind conditions, etc. Achieving top speed takes a leisurely 25 seconds. Fuel economy is about 5L/100 km.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Chemmy posted:

Their competition does better at fuel economy and safety, so that's probably not the root cause.

Their competitors also have meaningful competition that causes them to improve over time. American cars operate in this bizarro monopoly, despite making what end up being generally worse vehicles than their foreign counterparts. All anyone has to do is just look at the fetid gene pool that is American Trucks to know that American companies face too little pressure to update their most basic design elements. Chevrolet was putting cast iron OHV's into Suburbans in TYOOL2016, Chrysler just can't stop themselves from putting iron pushrod engines into everything that they can, and hell, if it wasn't for Donald Peterson, Ford would probably still be trying to shove those lumpy Windsors into their vehicles. Iron is really goddamn heavy and doesn't come up to operating temperature nearly as fast as aluminum does, which is getting more important tas emissions regulations are going to continue getting tighter across the globe...

In less frustrating topics, today I saw a beautiful Corvair pickup outside of a local garage with the garage's logo on the side. I want to stop by and ask them about it, but really, I just want to hear that all American H6 run for a while

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Q_res posted:

Have you been in a coma since the 90s?

It's possible that I have. I also really want to have a pickup that I can enjoy driving, but since small trucks like Rangers and S-10's died out, and American trucks are now similar in size or larger larger than the comically oversized Hummer H1, I resent every backwards aspect of their designs. More than just the lackluster aesthetic or driving performance aspects of their design, the American Truck also has a large tax protecting them from competition and relaxed emissions and crash test standards that allows them to not have to worry about changing their outdated designs. Especially frustrating since they're expected to be both commercial and passenger vehicles, despite the fact that so few consumers use them for anything other than commuting.

If you think I'm completely full of poo poo, look at the explosion in the market for small work vans in America. The truck market is so resistant to change that people who would normally buy smaller trucks and use them as trucks for their business now buy vans instead. Vans can actively change to meet the demands of their consumers. Consumers that don't want a +4L V8, trailrating, and the ability to tow a flatbed trailer full of bricks, consumers that just want a fuel efficient vehicle that has enough space and power to carry their tools/equipment around, but also fits in regular parking spaces on the street and doesn't suck to drive in

E: straight from the horse's mouth on the introduction of the van that is synonymous in America with work vans

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter#North_America posted:

For 2003, DaimlerChrysler introduced a Dodge branded version of the Sprinter to the North American market. It was identical to the Freightliner Trucks version except for minor styling details and badging. Rather than redesign the aging Dodge Ram Van which had used the same basic body and layout since the 1970s and was discontinued in 2003, DaimlerChrysler chose to replace it with the Sprinter.
The Dodge Ram Van was too old and backwards to be considered for use as as work van, despite being basically a covered version of every other Chrysler B-body truck, including the work trucks

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 3, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, they can't stop assholes from hitting pedestrians or stop pedestrians from getting hit, so now whatever gets hit must be safe. It sucks, but it is for the greater good

My favorite, probably apocryphal, story about ugly safety standards goes something like, "In 2000-whatever the NHTSA read the all of the reports about rollovers and came to 5 distinct conclusions about how rollovers are caused and what makes a rollover more fatal than regular crashes:
#1 Distracted, impaired, and unskilled drivers inadvertently created the conditions for rollovers
#2 Worn tires and suspension components can make vehicles behave unpredictably and can cause drivers to rollover
#3 Road conditions and damaged roadways contribute as much, if not more than tire and suspension components create to rollover conditions
#4 Excessive speed makes rollovers more likely to be fatal than low speed incidents.
#5 The majority of fatal injuries resulted from the overturned vehicle coming to rest upon the occupants, not the rollover itself

Now they had to find the cheapest, easiest way to save as many lives as possible. First off, there was no way to make people not suck as drivers, so that was immediately tossed. Tires and repairs cost people money, so that idea wasn't going to get enough public support, and was junked. States didn't have money for real inspections and definitely didn't have anything for more road maintenance, so that was out. No one can actually get drivers to just stop speeding, including with the threat of heavy fines or jail time, so that was out too.

And that's how we ended up having cars with massive pillars able to support the entire weight of the car when they rolled over, since automakers would be responsible for making any expensive changes and would be seen as irresponsible for even attempting to fight the proposed regulations."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KEYMASTER? GATEKEEPER???

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

To show you how crazy inflation and the distribution of wealth have affected certain items' prices, allow me to quote Netflix's summary of Jurassic Park (1993) "A multimillionaire unveils a theme park..."
And then we laugh like the UN laughed at Dr. Evil for asking for a million dollars, and then kind of die inside because even the $1bn USD punchline to that joke is a drop in the bucket to larger governments

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Parts shouldn't be too bad, the engines are the same kei engines they shoved in all sorts of stuff, especially Jimnys which are quite common.

IIRC, they're also compatible with the good old Suzuki G13BB. I know that the Jimny definitely is a drop in, the Mighty Boy is supposed to be basically a drop in with just some custom plumbing/mounting points necessary, and the Cappuccino are supposed compatible with "minor" engine bay alteration, whatever that means

I didn't look to far into the AZ-1 because they were out of my price range

E: and the Mighty Boy stole my heart

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I feel like that interior also inspired a lot of the Saturn Sky's

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Even with the weird Nickelodeon slime colors, I never loved Pontiac more :fap:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Is the jumping mandatory? That's loving awesome!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's the kind of loud you can feel deep in your chest, and the exhaust fumes hate you for being arrogant enough to be in their presence. It's amazing and horrible and I loved the experience

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Mahatma-Squid posted:

That's beautiful. Just how painful would it be to try to own one of these? (Not that one as it's half a world away, unfortunately!)

To give you an idea about reliability, they share basically everything with the 124/Yugo except the transmission, suspension, and rear brakes. My bad luck aside, what I've learned from trawling he Xweb forums, it looks like they're in for some kind of minor repair about every 14th day they're on the road. The phrase "structural rust" also comes up about as often as "normal jeep rust" does on Craigslist

They're so loving pretty though, and with Honda engines or Uno Turbos, they're lightning fast.
2100lbs, 4 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and a total length barely longer than a Crown Vic's wheelbase... beautiful

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Honda K20 in one of those would be immense :aaaaa:

https://youtu.be/tDWzYssBJtA

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

No matter how much I love the Stratos and think that it is a better version of that car, I cannot deny that old man Enzo really picked a winner when he partnered with Pininfarina. The 246 is beautiful

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Due to their uninform size, ease of acquisition, appealing color, and near zero value, pennies are amazing for basically everything that you can think of. Except, of course, in exchange for goods and services

And speaking of Mad Max, here's some Australian men bringing the corpse of a car to life https://youtu.be/feIFOpnCPSs

E: is that pounds as in the imperial unit of weight, or pounds as in the GBP. I don't remember the Dollar being so weak, but almost $200 in pennies feels like it should be more than 100lbs

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 20, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

There's a few simple facts here, the Grand National is a big ugly box, it's only "ok" by performance standards, it has no manual transmission, and it's disproportionately loved by car enthusiasts despite how ugly and slow it is

None of those things stop it from being a super cool American novelty and I'd argue that it's adorably edgy, but it's easy to reactively hate the GN when it gets brought up in conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

big ugly box > jellybean shitbox. lmao "no manual transmission" yeah that has changed a lot.

I loathe GM and the GNX is still awesome.

This forum is hosed. years ago this poo poo wouldn't fly.

It's a Buick Regal, did anyone ever expect a real manual transmission? And the GNX is legitimately awesome, but there were less than 550 made