Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

this owns I want fresh pizza while my futuristic car charges

put a toaster oven in the glove box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

that's some good Rube Goldberg poo poo right there

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

funeral home DJ posted:

Isn’t welding two chassis together no bueno in terms of crashes and general metal fatigue? I’m no engineer but I thought it caused the metal around the welds to become more brittle and more likely to break where you’d normally want some tough-as-hell metal.

How do you think limousines are made

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

like, where the gently caress are you going

you can’t even get down the driveway, unless you have spikes on your tires your car isn’t going to do any better.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

slidebite posted:

Needs some longhorns mounted on the front

word

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Elon wants flush door handles because there are so many car jackings in South Africa.

He's concerned with YOUR SAFETY

the Soviets used a lock

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've never come across a field that a GT3 could possibly navigate, it would have to be flat as pavement which would be leagues better than most dirt roads as well

like, Pebble Beach concours d'elegance, maybe

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

weg posted:

A lot of Jeep aftermarket stuff is ugly, but this is something I haven't seen before.

Grille scoop + angry eyes combo?

What could it possibly be scooping to? Well besides nothing, obviously.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Jeep in the wild I liked. And by "I liked", I mean 1/2 the size of the current monstrosities, with top and doors off.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

there's some pro snowboarder who daily drives a lamborghini with snow tires and a roof rack and in every picture it's all spattered with mud and slush. he's a hero

there's a guy by me that daily drives a Ferrari 458 and McLaren MP4-12C with snow on the roads (road salt capital of the world), loving legend

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I used to have trouble taking wheels off because the lugnuts were always overtorqued to the point of having to jump on the wrench to loosen them. Once I started torquing them myself to specs, shockingly they're always easy to take off and never come loose by themselves. Interesting.

Archimedes posted:

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Humphreys posted:

I always find 3 corners are fine but it's always the last one that something fucky occurs.

Not just brakes, anything that requires 4 tasks.

I replaced my puddle lights with some branded script ones. Now directions state you're supposed to remove the door card, but everything I read online said you can just pop them out and replace them. And they were right! Well, for 3/4 of them the were super easy to install, as there was enough extra slack in the wiring to allow me to do it. However that 4th one, there was not 1 micrometer of slack available to do it that way, the Italian who put that door together must have gotten an espresso bonus for not wasting wiring. I have yet to pop that door card out and replace that one puddle light, fortunately it's one of the rear doors.

ryanrs posted:

I thought that's why floor jacks have removable handles.

It's what I use mine for

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The latest from Just Rolled In has some stuff that's :stonk: even by the standards of the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZINZhNDq4

lol, the blank display is an Alfa Romeo (Giulia or Stelvio), and there are dozens of posts on the AR forums with this "problem"

the open air filter going into a regular filter box is something else as well

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I do chuckle to myself and then freak out when the voice over says "customer declined all repairs"

plot twist, the car with only wipers that work on the passenger side is used for mail delivery in rural areas

for you city slickers rural mail carriers just use their own vehicle and sit in the passenger seat while driving the car so they can put the mail in roadside mailboxes

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
what the actual gently caress

peanut butter is not a sealant, stop

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

lmao this is a great ep

I can never decide which is my favorite one

the guy who pulled apart the engine and painted everything yellow is up there for sure

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I know we don't do reddit links much here, but this one is special. Let me introduce you to the $36,000 3 year old Honda Civic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/11eees3/today_marks_6_months_i_17m_have_been_making/

As he got slagged through the comments, OP said: "$20,000 car with a term of 6 years at $510/month (22% interest). 6/72 months, so 66 more left." and "Working 40 hours a week at a Subway for $11.30/hour"

:dafuq:

Teach your kids about interest, and that cars are depreciating assets, folks.

go hang out in r/personalfinance if you want to see some real horror stories

the words "what the gently caress" are constantly being uttered by me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lmao that arcing battery

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Inhaling brake dust is a bad idea, asbestos or not. Or rather, any kind of dust will gently caress up your lungs given enough exposure.

yeah brake dust and tire particulates are a serious health issue, especially in lower income neighborhoods where major arterial roads just happen to run through.

But hey, I'm sure building more EVs will solve this somehow.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
The only Ferrari I've driven is a 328 GTS and that V8 sitting about 6 inches behind your head making wonderful noises rules, sorry haterz

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Did truly awful drivers exist pre-SUV or were bad drivers made worse by the 'power' of a particularly tall steel box? 'cos there's a LOT of them about these days.

got to witness several examples of "a good driver will sometimes miss a turn, a bad driver will never miss a turn" this past weekend on a road trip, as well as almost getting t-boned in a traffic circle, people are loving idiots.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

In 1959 a coal company in Pennsylvania delved too greedily and too shallow under the Susquehanna river. The river broke through into the mine and it took 3 days of dumping poo poo into the whirlpool before they could stop the flow, by which time a enormous number of interconnected mines in the valley had flooded. They resorted to dumping railroad hopper cars into the hole to try to give all the rock they were pouring in something to catch on.

do you want Balrogs? Because this is how you get Balrogs.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Deeters posted:

Don't worry, in the US they don't always have good signage and sometimes change layouts from what you expect:

And if you think that looks confusing: there's currently no markings on the road because 2 winters have worn them away.

I could see it being confusing if the road markings are worn away, but other than that it's straightforward

e: I also really really really do not like the new Bronco, in any trim. My first car was my dad's old '83 Bronco that ruled as a teenager, you could fit like 10 of your friends in there. The new one looks like a toy.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

"Boss, we've been selling the same GT-R for 16 years, should we maybe think about replacing it?"

"No. Make NFT's and sell virtual cars in the metaverse instead"

https://www.todaynftnews.com/nissan-files-4-web3-trademarks-tests-sales-in-the-metaverse/

Plate chat, I saw this beauty the other day:

S3NNA, in 'Euro' plate form (which cost more over a regular custom plate).....on a CCTV drain inspection truck.

weird, that doesn't look like a wall

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Motorcycles, bikes, any time you're going at speed protect your eyes.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

I once hit a big bug with my helmet at 60 mph and it was enough to rock my head back (and I had to stop and clean off the splatter). Seeing anything bigger than bug hit a helmet freaks me out.

Now I'm wondering if I need safety goggles for my bicycle! But I rarely break 20 mph, so that is like 10% as much kinetic energy.

Any sunglasses are more than adequate when biking, though ones designed with cycling in mind will give you more edge/wraparound protection than just some Ray Bans. I've been hit in the face by large bugs at speed and the ones that have hit me on the cheek have hurt like hell, but have bounced harmlessly off my glasses.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ bikes are so much better than cars for just outright exhilaration. Death a mere heartbeat away certainly makes you feel alive. As I get older my cars get smaller and more fun and then I come to the realisation that bikes were what I was looking for after all. Wish I'd gotten into them decades ago tbh.

Anyway, terrible car stuff. Driving for 30 minutes to confirm you have no oil is...... an interesting solution.

https://twitter.com/Dexcoon/status/1640387956769804288?t=DHXaNKdD3MpzNl8y9JiyCQ&s=19

My Giulia has this and it may be the only thing about it that I hate. The directions are essentially the same, but they're also essentially bullshit. If you go online to see if there's a way to get a more accurate reading you'll find the solutions to be a step away from voodoo magic, best get your chicken guts out.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

STR posted:

But at least it keeps an eye on the spare tire as well as the regular ones!

a spare tire, what a concept.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

This is what happens when car companies don't hire anybody who knows anything about human factors.

Someone with experience studying ergonomics and use patterns would step through it something like this:

1. What are the main reasons that people would want to manually check their car's oil level?

2. Either just to see where it's at for regular maintenance, or because they are concerned that it's running out and might cause engine damage.

3. In the latter case, they definitely shouldn't be running the engine until they know whether there's enough oil inside.

4. So a system that requires them to start the engine and run it for half an hour to check the oil is incompatible with one of the main reasons that people would be checking the oil in the first place. We can't do that.

Instead, they just let a bunch of engineers and marketing VPS decide how it works, and their train of thought went like this:

1. SENSORS :pseudo:

2. TOUCHSCREENS :dumbbravo:

The end

lol, I got my oil changed and like 2 weeks later I was parked on steep hill and when I started the car the warning came on that the oil level was too high. Now I figure it was just because of it being parked on that steep angle, and normally a quick look at the dipstick on a level surface would confirm or deny that, but lol good luck. Ended up just having the shop drain 1/2qt and it's been fine since, though they had a bitch of a time getting the reading as well lol.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

dissss posted:

Also why are modern districts so lovely and difficult to read? Older cars had clear markings and a nice cross-hatched area to grab the oil, whereas my newer Hyundai has slick surface with two tiny dots - when the oil is somewhat fresh it's very difficult to judge the level.

lol, I swear, the distance between the min and max lines on one of my coolant reservoirs is like a centimeter apart, with markings barely distinguishable from the tank material.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
My car is every 10k or 12 months, whichever comes first, provided you drive it in a, say, "relaxed" manner.

If you drive it the way it's meant to be driven, you will get a notification to change the oil at an earlier interval.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

a bluetooth driveshaft

I'm sorry, a loving what now?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

oh, I thought it was like a dummy driveshaft that you got it to spin by using some app on your phone

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You go and patent that

don't tempt me, my moral resolve at not taking advantage of morons is at an all time low

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

holy gently caress are you in the wrong thread with this

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bajaha posted:

It's awesome, but the fact it's plated is terrible car stuff. How the hell is that allowed on public roads?

I'd argue it's safer than 90% of the stuff in the #justrolledin videos

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

you guys are wrong. that thing is stupid as hell. it's like someone said "let's make an off road truck but with as many points of failure as we can cram into it. also you literally can't look forward while driving without hanging your head out of the side"

that thing looks and moves like a bug from Starship Troopers, and you'd better goddamn believe I want to know more

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’d say outside the US (in Europe at least) the majority of millennials and drivers in general can and do drive manuals.

the type of person that thinks a stick shift is an anti-millenial-theft device has never once considered the possibility of other countries existing

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Someone made a list even!

https://motorandwheels.com/do-all-c...%207%20BMW%20X3

https://www.sparkyexpress.ca/blogs/autoverse/a-list-of-cars-without-no-spare-wheel

JFC its much larger than I imagined......

Acura NSX
Audi R8
Audi TT
BMW 2 Series
BMW 3 Series
BMW 4 Series
BMW 6 Series
BMW i3
BMW i8
BMW X3
BMW X4
Cadillac ATS
Cadillac CTS
Chevrolet Bolt EV
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet SS
Chevrolet Volt
Dodge Viper
Fiat 500
Fiat 500L
Fiat 500X
Ford C-Max
Hyundai Accent
Hyundai Ioniq
Infiniti QX30
Jaguar F-Type
Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Compass
Jeep Renegade
Kia Forte
Kia Niro
Kia Rio
Kia Soul
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mercedes-Benz B-Class
Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class
Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
Mini Cooper Countryman
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Nissan GT-R
Nissan Leaf
Porsche 718 Cayman
Porsche 911 Carrera
Porsche Panamera
Smart ForTwo
Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X

Add Alfa Romeo to that list. No spare (and no room for one unless you want 75% of your trunk taken up by a spare tire), I just keep a sealant/inflation kit in the trunk and hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I think this belongs here