Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

It's a RHD thing - European brands (or UK market models from Asian brands) generally have the indicator stalk on the left side, Japanese or Korean brands generally have it on the right hand side.

As an example I have a Sonata and a Japanese Leaf - both on the right. My father has an Ioniq EV which was built to UK specs so it has the stalk on the left.

Fun times when we started getting diesel Legacy's. Petrol ones came with it on the right, diesels on the left cos UK spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
There's a reason Japanese cars went from a joke to taking over the world, and the build quality of American, Italian and British cars has a lot to do with it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Also

quote:

Does NOT include the following parts required for operation:
Traction inverter
Control system
Battery

GM's package doesn't appear to be on sale yet, but they were claiming:

quote:

The 60-kWh Electric Connect and Cruise package, expected to be available in the second half of 2021, includes:

60-kWh battery pack
200-horsepower electric motor
DC-to-AC power inverter to drive the electric motor
DC-to-DC power converter to power low-voltage systems
Wiring harnesses, controllers and water pumps for battery heating and cooling

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

um excuse me posted:

I love cars, obviously, but city centers are no place for them.

Also I feel like the infrastructure changes to create the living road concept requires monstrous investment anyways, might as well design it a little bit future proof. It seems no one is going away from the autonomous development without some sort of major government intervention so may as well bake it into the design. You could always run city busses or something in sensor lanes that are purpose built for autonomy

"We should future-proof roads to allow for installing autonomous driving sensors" is one of those things that sounds real great right up until you try and get any detail around it. What exactly are we allowing for? Some kind of electronic sensors? What do they look like? What do they need to be connected to? None of this poo poo has been invented yet, at least not to the point of any kind of standardisation. Trying to convince city agencies to futureproof anything is tricky at the best of times, let alone with magic future tech that doesn't exist.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Imagined posted:

While I think nationalism is as gross as anyone it's really terrible that you honestly can assume that anyone prominently displaying an American flag on anything is a chud or an idiot.

I don't watch VGG on the reg, but there's a pretty big gulf between hanging a flag like a normal person and plastering it everywhere. At least Cleetus has a whole bit along with it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

everdave posted:

Then it sounds like a no brainer! Just build tracks to every grocery store, warehouse, post office. Home, restaurant, uhh every place of business.

We will have it all worked out in no time. I’m in.

gently caress, if only it was possible to build some kind of electric vehicle with enough range to deliver goods the final miles from a rail freight depot.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

We used to have them, but for some reason they all got torn up. Regardless local trucking isn't as big of an issue as long haul.

Of course the railroads are a mess because of profit motivated BS like PSR so some government intervention would definitely be necessary to make that sort of thing work again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1y-2CUetwM

Latest WTYP ep has some stunning examples of local freight stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L933c7byKDo

Including the Starrett Lehigh Building
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrett%E2%80%93Lehigh_Building

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

BigPaddy posted:

The thing that gets me is “oh I am building a 1300hp car to trailer to shows”. If you are not going to drive or use it for drag racing then why spend the money? Sure bragging rights and showing the dyno sheet but what a complete waste.

Not that this idiot needs defending, but to be fair that's not what he said.

quote:

In a normal car, I could have pulled emergency brake, I even got a quote at Good Guy’s Del Mar for an electronic e-brake & bigger brakes. Hindsight’s 20-20, I was just gonna trailer it to a few shows & not drive it much till I could do that.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Not to defend Tesla here by any stretch, they're being dicks, but the PO who slapped a 90 badge on it and sold it as a 90 is also a bit of a dick too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I've read the thread and what it says is Tesla put in a 90 battery under warranty and mistakenly didn't software lock it to 60 as is their procedure.

Is it also their procedure to accidentally stick a 90 badge on the back too? Thread doesn't say Tesla badged it that way, just "Car is sold twice since, and now has a new owner (my customer). It says 90, badged 90, has 90-type range."

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Weird you're focusing on the owner applied badge when the car for all intents and purposes was turned into a 90 by Tesla. Should Tesla (or any manufacturer) be allowed to gently caress over a customer years after they've upgraded the car for a previous one?

If I'm going to be told to read, you can too. I'm not focusing on it, just bringing it up as an "also". Plenty of people piling on Tesla, no need for me to add anything to something everyone agrees is a dick move.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Not to defend Tesla here by any stretch, they're being dicks, but the PO who slapped a 90 badge on it and sold it as a 90 is also a bit of a dick too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Prius C isn’t much of a joy ride lol

The teenagers doing it don't give a gently caress, especially when they finish the night off by ram raiding a gas station or convenience store.

Caught up with a buddy the other day who works for an insurance company, some of these cars are getting written off with only a wrecked ignition and front door quarter light because it's so common that we're sucking up the global supply of those parts and they can't be had for months, and customers can't wait. He said his company has a yard full of repairable cars waiting for parts cos it's cheaper to ride it out than send them to damaged auction now for a fraction of the value. Apparently the price for new ignition and window has tripled.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

NoWake posted:

If it's as big a problem as they say, why aren't insurance companies sending their clients $45-$100 club devices, or cable locks that wrap the steering wheel? Cheap insurance against having to pay for a whole car that gets taken. Might not prevent the busted window, and won't prevent someone who really wants your car from taking it, but will definitely defend against a crime of opportunity like a joyride, or at least make sure it isn't your car.

Probably because you can remove a club lock in like 10 seconds with a hunk of pipe with a bend on it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Scratch Monkey posted:

Why is it so easy to steal these cars? Don’t they have key fob interlocks?

The specific models are used imports from Japan and base models at that, and no, no immobilisers required in their intended market. It's only the base models that use key ignitions, higher trim cars with push start DO have immobilisers.

On top of that, the Aqua is easy to get in to because of the tiny quarter light in the front window that's easily and quietly smashed and doesn't stand out when you're driving it around since it's behind the mirror. In the case of the Demio, I think you can just kick the door in the right place and it pops the lock.

dissss posted:

Surprised they get given the option - every time I've made a claim the insurance company has told me I just have to wait to get the car back.

I was too, but seemingly this is the course they've taken to keep people happy. There's plenty of replacement cars available, but telling the customer they have absolutely no idea when the parts can come in isn't going down well, plus for a lot of people they'll be forking out for rental cars for months on end too.

My car goes to the panel beaters tomorrow for a new rear bumper from a minor rear-ending. I took it in for them to assess and quote in February.

February 2021.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Oh no, the ruined purity of a tractor company :argh:

Edit:

Darchangel posted:

So, like Porsche, Lamborghini is a truck manufacturer that happens to make sporty cars, too, now.

No, they're sports car companies that wisely milk a higher volume cash cow to fund making a dozen special editions of the same sports car.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 2, 2022

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also Lambo are owned by VAG and use a fuckload of Audi stuff so the "Need to make SUV's to make money" doesnt exactly pass the smell test. Altho given Lambo *has* more of a family car (The Espada) and the LM002, at least there's some history there.

Yeah but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there's internal corporate pressure for the brands to perform standalone, let alone the various marketing reasons for offering a family car for Johnny Aventador to buy as well, simply because they can.

RS Q8 $119,900
Cayenne Turbo $135,900
Bentayga V8 $196,125
Urus $225,501

No way in hell does the Lambo bill of materials total $105,000 more than the Audi does, so gently caress yeah piles more money coming in the VAG door for the same old stuff they already sell in a slightly different shape. I dunno I just really don't care for these dumb purity tests.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Starlink is not low latency. Granted it's a far loving jump above normal satellite but it is not low latency in the real world especially when you start hitting the link with real data. It is barely better than ADSL1/2 in this respect. Yes, I am familiar with this problem. I'm looking at a real world real time application my employer has in place for machinery control and it's got lag. This is not what you want for a far more complex real time application.

I know gently caress about it, but isn't this one of the things they push about 5G? I know it's still early days and while I know the bandwidth is fine, dunno about the lag. Still, OP suggesting remote takeover is dumb as a bag of hammers.

Blitter posted:

The refusal to move from purely vision based object recognition and the complete lack of object permanence suggests to me that integrating additional data into their existing training set is nearly impossible due to poor design, architectural issues, and/or poor quality or other problems with their training set.

I recall from a discussion about one of the books on Tesla is that they want us to think the "FSD" "beta" is all about this massive data collection and training exercise, but turns out they're actually doing gently caress all?

I just can't believe the many murders they've done so far haven't tanked them. Like sure it's one thing to murder homeless or cyclists or people of colour, but when you start plowing through crash scenes and start murdering fire and EMT and cops and still nothing?!?! Goddamn.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

This (the US) is the country where somehow it's more cost-effective to PUT SATELLITES IN ORBIT for internet service than to lay cable/fiber to rural areas... satellites! in! orbit!

Yeah you guys really should do some more fibre, shits awesome. Base plans here just got upgraded from 100mbit to 300mbit for free, you can get 900mbit* anywhere fibre exists in the country (87% of the population), and they're now rolling out even faster options. I can order symmetrical 2000mbit (US$80/mo), 4000mbit (US$100) and 8000mbit (US$175) right now in my area and they just demonstrated 25000mbit. All unlimited download.

*Technically yeah it's 1000mbit but they account for protocol overheads and round down in what they promise to sell you, usually you'll speed test closer to 1000mbit, similar with the 8000mbit, its 10Gbit GPON.

Ask any Australian about the state of their NBN - we did what they originally planned but actually carried through with it, didn't cancel and gently caress around with FTTN and all kinds of dumb poo poo for dumb political reasons.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

honda whisperer posted:

I hate you. 300mbit for $85 a month here. It's fine but it's way overpriced for what it is. There is zero competition that isn't satellite or dialup. I hate it.

I pay $49 but got 3mo free on a 12mo deal so like $37. There's no competition for the physical network, that's a statutory monopoly (well, 4 or 5 "local fiber companies") but it's open access at regulated wholesale prices to retail ISP's. Obviously there's 4G/5G and in rural areas also any number of local fixed wireless providers, to cater for areas without fiber.

Galler posted:

There's a bunch of stuff under the 5G umbrella and the '5G solves everything' talk usually mixes up it all up. It's hard to know what 5G advantages you'll actually get in the real world with all the hype. I don't know if 5G actually is lower latency across the board or only for certain implementations.

For speeds, 5G at 4G frequency doesn't change much and that's probably where most 5G will be for a long time. Millimeter wave 5G is really fast but it only really works in like sports stadiums where a ton of transceivers can be deployed close to the users.

That's mostly what I figured. Another nice thing though about fiber everywhere - you can put transceivers anywhere too - slap em on every streetlight if you wanted.

slidebite posted:

I have gigabit FTTH and it is awesome, but I have to think that it's overkill for most home users. It's literally faster than my Cat5e can handle.

That's kinda what everyone said, up until pandemic times and suddenly multiple people are WFH on video calls and poo poo. Not to mention multiple 4K TV streams and such.

Motronic posted:

I have it and yes, it is. But do you not understand the size and geography of this country? It's very difficult and not at all cost effective to get it to a lot of places that people live (not where MOST people live, but where people do still live).

I do understand, but you're also a *vastly* wealthier country than we are. Is it easy? No. Is it cost effective to do *everywhere*? No. Could you do it a whole lot more than you do? gently caress yes you can. Are you telling me this piss poor country at the arse end of the world can get fiber to towns like Nightcaps, population 300, and America can't? It's the will that's at issue, not the capability. Also we might not have size, but we do have geography too. I'd also suggest the distance isn't the hard part, it's the in-town network that's the biggest part of the build.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

PBCrunch posted:

How many heads would explode if the next GM small block had the timing chain in the back of the engine? Cam and tune suddenly gets a whole lot more difficult.

Isn't this a C8 problem, you have to pull the motor to do the cam?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This would be one of the most awesome things for a remote rally service point

I can't help but think a way simpler, cheaper and more gravel friendly version is quick jacks or similar on a flatbed tow truck? You could build in oil collection tank and poo poo, on board genny (or hell, big ol EV battery these days), air compressor, tool chests, everything.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Motronic posted:

Like the way literally everyone does it already where it's allowed? QJ even makes a version with a 12v hydraulic pump so you don't need the genset.

Well I did try to find a picture of such a setup but didn't have much luck, so I figured I'm the smartest big brain and clearly I'm the first person to figure it out. Good that you bought me down a peg, otherwise I might have looked like a real fool.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

An Aston Martin is like an F1 car? Yeah I guess in that they've got 4 wheels and an engine and are quicker than the majority of other cars...

https://twitter.com/deerfella/status/1560106534968864768?t=HoP9Y7cdc0RTk0Fc8jTx3A&s=19

I guess the guy could have a Valkyrie and would have a bit of a point, but I would guess that at best he's got a Vantage F1 Edition but probably not even that.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
ZF 8HP

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The best part of the future is going to be hacking fascist cars to make them make tuba sounds when driving down the road.

If we can hack fascist cars could we not hack them to yeet the fascists into the sea?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Source4Leko posted:

Is this seriously where these are at? Let me know when they can get you into a spot 3 feet larger than the car.

Not used, but every demo I've seen is better than that. Remember, it's a car commercial, and they loving hate showing any other cars, or anything that implies cars are a pain in the arse. Wide, smooth city streets with just you cruising smoothly from coffee shop to picking up the kids. Free flowing highways. In this case they actually need other cars to demonstrate the feature, but better not show them too close, squeezing your SUV in amongst a sea of other SUV's is a breeze, especially with Ford's new Autopark!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

opengl128 posted:

I absolutely hate it, but it will cause corvette boomers to stroke out so

:sickos:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

What the actual gently caress?
Toyota is turning the luxury sedan of choice of Japanese executives and dignitaries into… *that*?
I may be wrong, but I’m thinking that’s going to be a serious misstep in a highly traditionalist market segment.

You might be thinking of the Century, which still exists and only recently got replaced.

The new Crown is 4 different models in Japan, the US version is one of them, but not the most sedan-like one.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/toyota-announces-crown-series-with-four-different-bodystyles/

I actually think the red SUV one looks pretty good.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Humphreys posted:

Look thread we found a sucker!

Didn't say I'd buy one, especially given I live where I can buy current Crowns off a dealers lot all around town, or just order a new shape Century if I want one (and had the 6 figures needed).

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'll be damned, they actually stuffed a V12 in those for a couple years.

Yeah just a short couple of 21 years :classiclol:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I'm not sure if mine is any good or not, the nice lady only speaks Japanese, and my high school Japanese is pretty rusty.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And nobody seems to have mentioned that small businesses are getting insane energy bills through. £100k on top of their usual one for a pub?

Feels like the only thing that might have a chance of forcing action is when it starts hitting the big businesses - if it's an extra £100k for one small pub, how much is it gunna hit (deserving pricks) like Weatherspoons with like a 1000 locations? Suddenly they're going from freezing grannies and poors to fleecing megacorps for £40 million a pop? No one in power gives a gently caress about granny, but their wealthy corporate mates? Now you're loving with the payday.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Non-profit doesn't mean non-investment. Lets say you have a network supplying water. Operating that networks costs 1c per m2 of water. You then add to that the cost of maintaining the network, replacing the bits that need replacing and building the new bits that need building. Now you're at 1.5c per m2. That's what you charge. You don't make it 2c and flog that extra 0.5c into shareholders pockets. You don't go "hmmm, if we forget about replacing broken pipes and building a new dam, we can take another 0.5c and give that to shareholders too!" You don't go "hmm, if we take a massive loan, charge users another 0.5c to pay off the loan, we can give shareholders £50 billion!" - this is exactly what many water companies in the UK have done.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

It'd make a lot more sense if that row of buttons and the volume knob were for the climate control. Put traction control off and whatever else is in that row next to the steering wheel like normal.

Put traction control off buried deep in several menus on the screen.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

knox_harrington posted:

Is this your photo ? Where is it? Looks like rural Suffolk

It's from Jonny Smith's review, timestamped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQI_9dOL-l8&t=877s

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Time to be reminded once again that M-sport trim level/editions isn't a modern thing and BMW have been doing it for decades.

As for all our (dis and I live in the same country) models being M-sport, it's nothing to do with being special or anything, it's just no one orders stripper models, by the time you've optioned everything people want, oh look might as well just spec the M-sport edition as standard.

Same as not bothering selling a 5 series with cloth seats and wind up windows, poo poo's gunna sit on the lot.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
911 guys are built different though.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I was referring more to slapping an M badge on the front grille or before the model number at the back, but you’re all right that there’s a ludicrous amount of gate keeping about M Sport models as well.

That's not without precedent either. E30 M-Technic cars in a few non-US markets got this badging, and the E24 M6 was just an M635CSi everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

WTF GM?

I'm not a fan of aftermarket dash kits. But that is screaming for an aftermarket dash kit.

Opel isn't GM anymore. Blame the French.