Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

:catstare:

We've reached peak hellaflush. This has to be the peak.

Also it makes the exact awful clunking and creaking noises I'd expected it to make. Delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

This is certainly a thing of some sort.

I didn't know it was possible to make one of those things uglier. Good lord, that is physically offensive. :negative:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Root Bear posted:

This one almost looks like it's squatting to pee:

It's also clearly photoshopped.

I can't wait for this stupid fad to die down. Although, who knows what lunacy it will be replaced with.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Post terrible parking jobs

Car idling, nobody in it. Probably just ran inside for 2 or 3 carts full of groceries while letting their Mercedes idle...

Guy did that at the petsmart by my house. Pulled into the crosshatch zone in front of the store, hopped out and walked inside, left it idling. Plenty of other open spots around, so it's not like he was inconvenienced in any way. Soooo I locked the doors with the engine running and then called the cops on an illegal parker.

I was parked in the spot next to the empty disabled spot, and as I was getting ready to back out, he came out, grabbed the door handle to try to open it, and then looked up and locked eyes with me. I'm not sure if he put two and two together, but I didn't hang around to find out.

Serves the bastard right.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

drukqs posted:

http://imgur.com/a/ez8L3

and forty freaking grand... yikes.

I'd say if meatpimp wants to flip his MR2 he should look into trik'ing it

The build thread should be called "SW20 MR2 Trike: A cast study in understeer"

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

smelly cabin filter posted:

:barf: what the hell have they done with the sidelights, also good job on using veilside skirts which literaly only match up to the veilside kit.

They appear to have deleted the popup headlights and front corner lights and replaced them with JDM S14/S15 (I can never remember which is which) headlights. Talk about ugly.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

A good write up of what the gently caress you're looking at. I am just learning how to work under the hood, so I was just as confused as the author as a child.

That is the most apologist article I've read in a long time. Listening to how he describes the most rear end-backwards engineering decisions as "advanced for it's time" is just comical.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Spades posted:

one of these days I am going to steal it and drive it into the ocean so he stops repairing the automotive equivalent of a disease festival.

Automotive Insanity > Post terrible car stuff in this thread - disease festival

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

Burnouts.

e: Cheap and cheerful 15"/16" tyres will run you as little as $80/tyre.

Yeah, but the Tore-rear end is front wheel drive, so it really makes no sense at all.

Wait, I just figured it out. The large tires rub when he puts the caravan on the back of it because he's got too much tongue weight on it. That's my best guess.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Slavvy posted:

It's a falcon.

:downs: I see that now. We don't get those over here in the states, so I thought it was an oval orgy taurus, as that's what it looks closest to.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

drukqs posted:

Absolute OUTRAGE.

The car PASSES SNIFFER

and he gets failed and written up for mods that aren't actually against CARB regs at all... Boost controller is questionable but I'm like 99% sure upgraded intercoolers aren't against the rules

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure removing one of the cats is a no-no, so smog dude is doing his job on that one. The boost controller and intercooler? Probably not an issue.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

murphle posted:

Nah, that thing looks halfway decent. The disconnected sway bar on the street is a minor sin, and if the driver is used to how it handles it's not that big a danger. Most people have no real concept of how stable or unstable a lifted truck might be, and tend to think a stiff wind will tip over anything lifted above stock.

The pinion angle isn't an issue since it's been converted to a radius arm suspension like an early bronco. The pinion angle is effectively fixed, and only the joint at the t-case is going through any major angle changes. With a high-travel u-joint or cv-joint at the t-case it wouldn't be a problem.

Spacers + springs is a common Jeep Thing, and again not a terrible sin.

Mounting the shocks can-up only matters if the shocks aren't specifically designed to be mounted can-up, and those ones might well be.

As for bumpsteer, it probably has some, but the panhard bar and draglink are fairly parallel due to modified panhard mounts, so the axle will be forced to travel upwards in an arc close to what the draglink is going through as well. That's a huge factor in keeping bumpsteer to a minimum.

It's fun to nitpick poorly designed truck suspensions, but you're off base on this one. As was already said, that might be the nicest lifted vehicle in this thread.

Pretty sure it's all just standard Rubicon Express parts. My buddy had one with pretty much exactly the same pieces - right down to the quick disconnect sway bars. The only thing that could probably be done differently is welding the panhard mount to the body, but nothing that bad.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Fucknag posted:

From the OSHA.jpg thread in GBS.

Guess I'll have to go wade through the turds in GBS to find this thread, it seems like gold.

re: Prowler chat - my boss absolutely loves his one. It's painted chameleon, and looks pretty alright. He's living the dream of the guy on that forum, too, as he also has a :siren: BRIGHT RED PULL ME OVER NOW :siren: convertible viper. He's also got a comp eliminator pontiac sunfire that runs in the mid-8s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCrveQlemTo

and a super stock coronet that does this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKO6_EWL1Hs

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

God drat it. Why didn't I just wait 5 minutes. I went to GBS :shepicide:. It's orders of magnitude worse than I remember it being. I mean, it's seriously Reddit levels of terrible, probably even worse.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

DarkSol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIuHvFyYBqs

I don't think this needs any further comment. :barf:

Maybe I'm the terrible car stuff, but this is at least hilarious. They're on private property and are mostly sober, so it's not tooooo terrible. That said, if anybody had gotten hurt, they'd have gotten exactly what they deserved.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

HDC posted:

And the car is a Volvo C70 I think

Worse, it's a Volkswagen Beetle.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Modern direct injection is pretty sophisticated, why not adapt that to the rotary engine? From what I understand, one of the big emissions hurdles with the 13b was the overlap caused by the PP exhaust port and side port intakes. The Renesis engine fixed that by moving both exhaust and intake ports to the irons. If they put DI on the engine, they could go back to the PP exhaust port design, reducing carbon loading issues and making it more exciting, no?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Fiat did it better.

Yes, those are wicker seats.

So you *did* miss the Fiat logo on the first one posted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Multipla

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Talk about repressed memories there. Also :drat:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Outside my window 5 minutes ago:

Yes. Yes it is.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

TWBalls posted:

As someone that works in San Ramon, CA (The Blackhawk museum is only a few miles from here), this doesn't surprise me in the least. I've been working here for 6 years and have seen at least 4 (Well, 5 now if you include this video) different occasions where some dildo has managed to jump a curb and crash into something.

I knew I recognized the area! My buddy had actually invited me to the cars and coffee this weekend, however I had to go out of town for work. Where in San Ramon do you work?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

re: PT chat, one of my coworkers wife had not one, not two, but THREE PT cruisers :psyduck: . Consecutively. Over the course of 12 years. A normal gutless one, then a hi-po turbo, then her knees got too bad for the clutch, so she chopped it in for an automatic turbo.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

--~~Demver~~--

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

HEY VAPER posted:

typically you do SOMETHING to stop them from moving side to side, whether it be hose clamps, welding tabs onto the bar etc. and this only stops the harness from moving side to side on the bar, the harness will still slip off his shoulders without a seat that has pass-thrus. the guy talks about how it chokes him out when he turns sharply in the facebook thread i pulled that from. he also ignored everyone who told him its a death trap and kept whining about how he only wants to hear comments about the aesthetics. oh also its a street car.

You follow the R3V fb group, too? It's a cesspool of stupidity and retardation. Sometimes I wonder why I still follow it.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

HEY VAPER posted:

it amazes me how dumb r3v facebook is when the actual r3v forums are shockingly not bad for a car forum
e: some guy is trying to defend this safety setup now :allears:

It's *awful*. I can't believe the questions people post in there expecting people to answer them. poo poo that 30 seconds with google would answer, probably from the actual R3V forums, too.

Sometimes I abuse these people.

I'm the terrible car stuff, aren't I :ohdear:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

pctD posted:

Yikes. Is that their arm coming out the window and being crushed by the roof?

Yes. :catstare:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

My favorite thing about the cluster is that the speedo stop is set at 18mph.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Glad to see the stereotype of Camaro owners being douchebags still holds true. That truly is something else.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Rockwells, locked with solid bars in the rear, hydraulic cylinders in the front, and really long braided steel flex lines (on a fixed axle mounting - with no flex...)

And it would be pretty cool with actual functioning suspension.

It looks like it has the provisions for suspension, just no shocks. Looks like beams in place of shock absorbers.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

You're wrong.

Hint: the gauge should measure at 0 when the car is off.

What makes you think the car is off?

20" vacuum seems to me to be a reasonable level of vacuum for an idling car.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

The Locator posted:

"Structural rigidity of an earthworm" :laugh:

Funniest thing he said at any point in the video.

And it isn't even that funny.

The truly hilarious thing was the amount of rattling and headshake inside this ~~luxury convertible suv~~

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

I once decided removing the skid pan on a newer tundra wasn't worth changing the oil filter when I worked at an oil shop.

It's me. I'm the terrible car stuff.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

still looks stupid imo

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a used Chrysler 200. You know how you guys hate how modern car options are all bundled together and you can't get just the features you want without a sunroof and automatic transmission? Well Chrysler has you covered. On the 200 the loving AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL is an alacart option in every trim level excet the top. The car im looking at has keyless entry, bluetooth, and a touchscreen, but no auto climate control, however because it has a touchscreen it doesnt have a seperate knob for the blower, so to adjust the heat, an ungraduated slider with red and blue on either side shows up on the touchscreen and you swipe it up or down, like a virtual version of the resistor type blower control on a 1980s economy car. Somehow this was cheaper than just giving every car auto climate control? This car has the 5 inch screenbut its apparently possible to get an 8.4 screen with manual climate control too.

At least you're posting in the right thread.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

IS THAT TOW HITCH MADE OUT OF AN OLD JACKSTAND?

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

..no?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Hello new thread title

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

Stop, stop. I can't breath.

e:

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 4, 2016

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

"No Rice"

-insert lie detector test meme here-

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

And now I need to read some pratchett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

I really can't hate it, because somewhere I know some ferrari purist is having a coronary looking at it.