Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I've heard Uprising is really good and based on the soundtrack alone I'm inclined to agree. How does the game play and should I buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I haven't played 3D World, so correct me if I'm wrong and he's now amazing, but were there really a number of people clamoring to play a Toad game? He's always just been the Scrappy Doo of the Mario Universe to me.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Dreamcast was the coolest system name.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Fusion was alright, but it's no Super.

I went through my old Wii games to register those and I only found two of the codes still in the cases. I must have thrown the others out years ago and I'm 40 points shy of Platinum. :negative:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lana trailer for Hyrule Warriors

She uses uh, blocks to attack.

Grumblebump volcano from 3d world rolled as a actual character.

The last thing Zelda needed was a perky school girl, but holy crap does her playstyle look fun.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Probably a stupid question, but if I intended to hook a Wii U up to my computer monitor, is there any way to also use my computer's speakers or headphones?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Moriatti posted:

Why not just use the Gamepad?

Are you using the HDMI cable?

I don't have one yet, this was just a preliminary question. Yes, I'd be using the HDMI cable.

How are the gamepad's speakers? I wouldn't imagine they'd be very good.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Novasol posted:

I did this and it works fine, but it's going to depend on which inputs you have available for your monitor. In my case, all I had was a VGA port available, so I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O7RH5C/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. If you have HDMI, you shouldn't need anything like this since HDMI carries the audio, so it would use your monitor's speakers.

The upside is that I was able to then rout the audio into my computer's line in port, so now I get my Wii U audio through my computer's headphones. You could also rout it to your monitor's line in and use its speakers.

Lagomorphic posted:

They're not great but there is a headphones port.

Both good to know, thanks. :)

My monitor doesn't have built in speakers, but if all else fails I can just pop some earbuds in the pad. I also have a standard def TV I could just use but I want these pretty games looking their prettiest.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Nolgthorn posted:

Has anyone started calling it their Wii Wii?

Until E3, people just called it the Ennwii.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The Wii U's gamepad is perfect for Fatal Frame. It would also be great for a new Pokemon Snap and Michigan: Report From Hell 2.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
They should just make a Pokemon MMO already. Have player housing in the region of their choice, rare spawn legendaries wandering the landscapes, and a low, low subscription fee. Ask for your parents' credit card!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Random Stranger posted:

Michigan 1 sucked hard. There's no need for a sequel.

If Shaq-fu can get crowd funded, there's no reason we can't get a second helping of Brisco's amazing voice acting. :colbert:

It was a joke.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
So I just got Super Mario 3D World and it's the Cat Mario's pajamas, but the Miiverse functionality is grayed out. I can't make or read posts in game. Is that activated at a certain point or do I have to do something special?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Cool, thanks. Can't wait to spam nonsense to people who don't care because I don't do that here enough already.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nintendo announces re-release of CD-i Mario and Zelda games because Iwata feels their company needs "more memes" in order to succeed.

I'm waiting for King Harkinian to be announced for Hyrule Warriors. "MAH BOI" he yells as he smashes moblins with his goblet.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Everyone's waiting with baited breath for a character reveal that was never promised and probably won't even happen.

Or they'll just announce Jigglypuff and the crowd goes :geno:.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

TaurusOxford posted:

Watch them announce Jiggs via a Mewtwo troll. That would be legendary. :allears:

Somewhere, in an alternate universe, there's a four way Smash going with Mewtwo, Ridley, Waluigi, and Goku.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Looks like I missed Bayonetta and now it's just two dudes playing Mario and being told they'll be cut if they screw up. I'm not sure I'm ready for a Nintendo this dark.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
When Star Fox 64 says "Requires the Classic Controller", does that mean I can't use the default Wii U gamepad? I'd love to have this on a console I actually have plugged in, but I'm not buying a new controller for it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Slur posted:

That is correct.

That sucks. Nintendo, why do you suck? You were just getting awesome again.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

That look is the look of a dinosaur reconsidering its life choices.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

PrBacterio posted:

EDIT: Also apparently, now that the year of Luigi is over, it's now the the month of Princess Peach.

This is off to a great start:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ImpAtom posted:

A child born the last time that happened would be eligible to vote. It's done. Let it go.

Her full name is Peach Toadstool. :colbert:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Check out this emo/goth girl:

You can tell she's emo because, while she's scampering around making cat noises, her suit's the darkest one.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
There's one reason lives still exist in Mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Tlv7h9I3Y

That sound.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mercury Crusader posted:

David Cage had other projects going on.

David Cage's Mario was alright, up until Peach's awkward shower scene and the part where even getting hit by the Goombas didn't kill you because game overs are a failure of the developer.

I did like the noble, homeless Koopa Troopa that explained Mario's mystical fire powers, though.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mario Sunshine would have been better without the story and attempts at voice acting

And FLUDD. The best parts of Sunshine were the obstacle courses where your giant spray bottle got taken away.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

The best part of the Sonic Boom video is the part where runs into several things blocking the way, causing him to slow down. Then at the end of the Sonic Boom bit a few moments later you get Sonic going "CAN'T SLOW ME DOWN"

I was a big fan of him missing all the rings in that zipline section, personally.

homeless snail posted:

What, you did know they were onion rings right? The Genesis just didn't have enough power to render breading.

They should actually make them onion rings in one of the games. Collecting 100 gives you a fat powerup like Metal Slug 2.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

greatn posted:

Someone made a Sonic 2 rom hack to that effect actually. Rings make Sonic fat and slow, and it had to be worked off through exercise.

That honestly sounds like some gameplay mechanic Sonic Team would have tried at one point. It probably became Sonic Unleashed.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Fremry posted:

I'm watching the Twitch stream of Gamescom showing "Lords of the Fallen", and the dev just said "We tried to go with classic fantasy tropes but made them dark and stylized. We tried to keep it for mainstream audiences, but let me reiterate that it's a challenging game."

"I've heard one question over and over and over again. The question has been, 'Great, yeah. Looks great.'"

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

Why are you posting bad gritty fanart of Toad's Treasure Tracker? :confused:

There's a crossover that will never happen and the world is worse for it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
PS4 will have the new Uncharted which will probably be good but might not have the same "magic" after all the Naughty Dog team members leaving the company. Persona 5 is coming some time in the future. Uh... there's probably something else both good and exclusive coming to it but my mind's drawing a blank right now.

I have both a Wii U and 3DS now, along with my PC, and that's the most I've spent on a console generation in a long time, but I'm basically covered on all fronts. I'll miss a couple things on PS4, but I can just watch Let's Plays if I'm that hard up. XBone has nothing to offer me but super smart fish AI.

Cake Attack posted:

Persona 5 is a PS3 exclusive.

Oh yeah, I forgot that team doesn't understand new technology. One less reason to care about things I don't own then. :)

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 15, 2014

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The real test is to pit the number of Minecraft Let's Plays against Mario World Hack Let's Plays.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Constantly being trapped in the same area with things slightly changing and the ever-building tension the atmosphere builds is actually really impressive. It kind of makes me think of what a current day Eternal Darkness would feel like if it were more horror and less action.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You can't draw stupid doodles on the website. Inferior port. :colbert:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

greatn posted:

The escapist magazine:

Oh also multiplayer doesn't add anything apparently.

I hate the way we're still running and jumping in Mario games in The Year of Our Lord 2014. When's he going to get a gun, Nintendo!? :mad:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ethanol posted:

is it worth renting/playing donkey kong country returns before tropical freeze?

You can get the 3DS version for free if you're a Platinum Club Nintendo member.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I mentioned this one earlier too. It's Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark, and it loving sucks.

I think that level was the only time I was ever actually mad at SM3DW.

Well, before attempting that 30 star gauntlet or the final level, but those are givens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Wonderful 101 has a really counter productive demo in that it explains nothing about the game so you suck and hate it and don't buy the full version.

vvv Both the Wii U and 3DS versions. I hated both.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 19, 2014

• Locked thread