Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

beatlegs posted:

TBH I think the country as we know it is lost. Not completely, just as we know it. I think we're on the path to revolution. I don't think it'll happen soon, but it's going to be a continually miserable trip on the way. I think the good side will prevail, as it always does, but it won't be without a huge price, as always.
I'm not going to touch your revolution comment, but I will say that I find it very difficult to rectify people saying 'good always wins' with the current state of the world.
Or, hell, with the fact that World War 1 happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Notorious QIG posted:

If it makes you feel better Rush doesn't believe a word he says. He found an easy way to get rich and now subsists entirely on painkillers and beautiful Dominican boys, all because he found a particular brand of bile and hatred that appeals to a large demographic of uneducated people in this country.

What Conservatives believe: gently caress everyone and everything else, the things that benefit me and my cronies are what matter. Profit above all else. gently caress you, got mine.
What people who say dangerous things they don't believe for money believe: gently caress everyone and everything else, the things that benefit me and my cronies are what matter. Profit above all else. gently caress you, got mine.

You can't really be disingenuous about being a hardline conservative because whether or not you 'believe' you're still someone advocating that people behave in manners that will harm great amounts of people simply because you personally stand to benefit.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like 4chan and 8chan are more dangerous than almost any other right wing propaganda outlet. Who hosts them? We got Infowars and Stormfront deplatformed and neither of those were as objectively objectionable. Hell, 4chan has even recently started courting advertisers.

The current generation of Neo-Nazis were and are largely being radicalized on these sites, not Fox News.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

fishmech posted:

Is the year 2007 really recent?

I understand that the split into two domains, with 4channel being the ‘work safe’ boards was a deliberate move to try and lure in more advertisers.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ron Jeremy posted:

Where has moot been anyway? He sold out and hasn’t said poo poo that I know of.

I think he works for Google now.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

FilthyImp posted:

If you were responsible for the Online Reich, would you be popping up everywhere?

If I was Moot I would be endlessly apologizing and trying to undo the evil. Or since by his silence we can assume consent and support, doing what I could to benefit and profit from being one of the chief ushers of fascism in the modern age.

Keeping a low profile suggests he has enough decency to recognize the depth of his gently caress up but not enough to even give the barest of apologies.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

sexpig by night posted:

The democrats fuckin suck real bad but at least there is some actual arguments happening this election. I've seen so many right wing takes on 'AOC says it's kinda hosed up Pelosi keeps specifically targeting young progressive women of color to call out as if we're the problem' that just boil down to "AOC criticized...HER OWN PARTY LEADER???? WHAAAAAA??? IS FULL ON ARMED INSURRECTION NEXT?!' just because the right literally can't think of any of their McCain/Romney style 'very concerned Republicans' actually saying 'yea you know what, gently caress off McConnell with this dumb poo poo you're doing, I'm right and you need to stop' and voting against things.

To be fair it is also because they are extremely violent people who celebrate violence and see it as generally the first and only response to any and all conflict. The same reason why they assume that minorities will immediately oppress them given the chance. Conservatives, whether or not they have developed enough of a theory of mind to recognize it, generally assume that other people are just as bad as they are. AOC is just as violent and racist and classist as the Trump, she just hides it because she is an evil coward.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

FlamingLiberal posted:

Any time is good

I'd rather he get the Johnny Got His Gun treatment than death. Rush Limbaugh does not deserve death.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
AIDS didn't affect the middle class and even the upper class the way COVID-19 is and will. You can much more easily spin and ignore a pandemic that primarily decimates a minority community you already hate than you can one that has cut a bloody swathe across the entire nation, pulling a 9/11 nearly twice a week in terms of bodies.

Trump may or may not get the hatred and reviling he rightly deserves, but I do not think he will get the treatment Bush got, let alone the hagiography of Saint Reagan, the Eternal President.

EDIT: I do want to clarify I absolutely think you can make the argument Reagan was worse than Trump. I just think Trumps crimes affect the 'right' people in the 'right' ways that they cannot be ignored and excused by liberals and centrists (but I repeat myself) the way Reagan's could.

Without COVID-19 and Trump coming down hard and fast as an ally of the plague, maybe he could have gotten the Bush Jr. treatment, but there's just no way I can see anyone spinning this.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 21, 2020

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Probably. But we also live in the timeline where not only is Donald Trump president, but he is seen as a hero and icon of conservative Christianity.

We're so beyond the pale of what is normal or acceptable that anything which would have been a certainty in the Before Times is now merely a highly likely probability.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pirate Radar posted:

If he dies they’ll have to pick one of his kids to join Pence on the ticket. If we’re lucky it’s Eric.

Can't they pick whoever? Like isn't it basically the electors and all that which it comes down to?
Actually, I'm legit unsure. Is this like the Holy Roman Empire where the electors could technically elect someone who hasn't even announced their candidacy (although unlike the HRE, obviously must be a citizen over 35).

EDIT: Like putting aside all the logical and realistic reasons why it would never happen, is there any law that says the electoral college can't unanimously vote for Joe Smith from Wisconsin as president, assuming Joe is a natural born citizen over the age of 35?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dirk the Average posted:

Chris Wallace said before the debate that everyone up there had been tested for COVID prior to the debate. I find it incredibly odd that Donny Dipshit would have actually contracted COVID in the span of, what, one day?

Considering the White House tried to hide this news and considering Trump is Trump, how do we know that Trump and friends didn't just lie and say they tested him? I mean the test is unpleasant and Trump is both a child and someone who believes the disease isn't even real. Why is he going to submit himself to routine unpleasantness to find out if he has a made-up disease that even if he did have it and even if it was real, would just be a cold.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Authoritarian, yes, fascist/conservative, no. A competent authoritarian is possible, but a competent fascist is generally not - not if they are a genuine ideological fascist - because the fascist is an idealist and concerned primarily with ideological purity, while the authoritarian is a pragmatist and concerned primarily with expanding, retaining, and exercising power.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I predicted this in I think the RLM thread and people said I was off for it.
Wingnut welfare is a better career prospect than acting, especially for women who have a short Hollywood shelf-life, and especially so for someone like Carano who has a tough girl persona. To be an actress, Carano has to stay in shape, stay reasonably attractive, and learn lines and actually put some effort into acting. Wingnut welfare only requires that he be willing to be a Nazi in public and be at least reasonably conventionally attractive.

Honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if some other actors take the route. Probably not ones making AAA Disney money, so I don't think Pratt is going full mask off anytime soon, but I can definitely imagine some closeted B and C tier actors realizing that they can still make a lot of money, if maybe a bit less, while putting forth a lot less effort.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
With Activision-Blizzard hiring up war criminals from the Bush and Trump administrations like some kind of nerdy ODESSA, and with 4chan gamer-Nazis representing the future of the GOP and conservatism in America, I kind of wonder if the future of wingnut welfare will be less Fox News and more ratlines to gaming companies and nerd media.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
"Thor Skywalker" sounds like the name 4chan would make up to mock Disney 'consoomers.'
Irony is dead.

I still say that getting rid of 4chan would help a lot. Who even hosts them? How did people manage to bring down 8chan (temporarily) and Stormfront?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think you can make funny jokes that are not morally acceptable. I definitely think there are some rape jokes and racist jokes that can get legitimate chuckles out of people, even me sometimes. Just, you know, there's also lots of jokes, even edgy ones, that don't involve reinforcing awful things so there's no need to turn to them.
That said, I think the thing about those jokes is that they generally use the heinous stuff to get to a punchline, rather than using the heinous things as the punchline. Like in most jokes involving rape, besides those on Family Guy, the punchline isn't 'lol rape' but rather using rape as some absurdist vehicle to arrive at whatever the actual punchline is. You can probably make an argument that this is even worse, or certainly just as bad, since it trivializes rape, but the point is that the rape is not the punchline.

Political right wing humor is different because since it's preaching to an audience of monsters, the punchline is the horrible stuff. Unacceptable comedy from the 80s and 90s (with the probable exceptio of homophobic and transphobic stuff, I'd argue most of that legit was just 'lol that person is gay/trans and that is innately comedic/bad!) can still provoke laughs even as it provokes cringes because, yeah, you don't have to be evil to see the humor in the situation. Suffering is used to get to a punchline, but the suffering is not the punchline. Modern right wing humor, in contrast, relies more or less entirely on the idea that you find the suffering of liberals and minorities to be something amusing in and of itself.

Just my two cents. I think I articulated this rather badly, but I kind of feel like you can still get my meaning. I feel like there's a difference between 'jokes that are offensive' and 'jokes that require you be evil to appreciate.'

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I was born in 87 so I can't speak to the experience of growing up in the 80s, but I mean, little kids can be vicious bastards and while in some ways more tolerant than adults, definitely also the type to use problematic slurs and insults pretty liberally.

Matt and Trey are, along with Rowling, kind of like the platonic ideal of centrism given physical form, but I will always give credit where it's due and say that other than the boys being way more prone to profanity than I recall anyone being when I was growing up (although maybe I just had an unusual public school experience?) the boys on South Park always struck me as some of the most well-written child characters on TV, putting aside the moments where they moralize to the camera or where Cartman is a full-on sociopath. But in the early seasons the day-to-day thoughts and words and actions of the boys, including their stupid half-understood, half-parroted, bigotry, honestly felt very real and true to life.

I don't think, generally speaking, children will usually throw around slurs with the intent and venom adults do, I think a child's homophobic slur generally has less venom behind it than your average adult conservative's 'homosexual' or whatever, but I definitely think kids are way more prone to throw slurs around. They know it's bad and is an easy way to insult or agitate people. I mean, heck, there's a reason the stereotypical 13-year-old Call of Duty player is someone who just streams an endless wave of homophobic and racial slurs. I don't think they sincerely believe, or care, that the perso they are insulting is black or homosexual, they just know using the N word and calling people homophobic slurs is an effective and easy way to be edgy and insulting.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You're asking why a network of evil lunatics is giving a platform to evil lunatics. The answer is obvious: they are evil lunatics, and by platforming evil lunatics, other evil lunatics will give them money.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Conservatism is at its core an innately childish ideology because it is entirely predicated around dichotomies. It's incapable of recognizing even the simplistic nuance of 'I have multiple types of enemies.' That's why Conservatives are always so big into Illuminati-type grand unified conspiracy theories; they cannot conceptualize that they are opposed to multiple discrete groups, and instead have to imagine a Cobra/Legion of Doom style Bad Guy Organization.

Like it is legit entirely fair to say that the Conservative worldview is basically the lore bible - if they had such things back then - of a rather superficial 1980s cartoon.
I mean, even then it's kind of hard, because I'm pretty sure Skeletor and Hordak got into fights.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Deegan's back and it's worse in both politics/morals and art/craft than it ever was before! And this is coming from someone who would, and did, argue in the past that without hyperbole Dominic Deegan represented the nadir of human creative endeavor.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Didn't Kiwifarm and most of the Chris-chan - for want of a better term - 'fandom' come from 4chan/ED? I know we had threads and lord knows problematic stuff on SA is not some alien concept, but my understanding was that we had relatively little influence in the Chris-chan drama that unfolded.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought the CWCki was from 4chan. Oof. Thanks for the history lesson.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Parrotine posted:

Naaaaaaaaah unless there's something major like sexual assault claims from, like, 60+ women Tucker will never face any repercussions for his actions, the man is practically bulletproof at this point.

We'll all sit here and watch this monkey throw poo poo outside his cage, the struggling media circus will show outrage for all of a week before dropping it like a stone, Fox will air another batch of ready-made Tuckums to bring in gangbuster ratings with his audience that just won't tune out no matter what, rinse, lather, repeat.

Get used to seeing this pasty visage for the next twenty to thirty years, the Swanson heir will keep laughing all the way to the grave where he'll die old, wealthy and surrounded by loved ones.

I think he'd survive sexual assault claims at this point.

I think he'd need to cost the network money. He'd need to do something that gets Fox sued for slander or something. Or an open call to violence so egregious and explicit that it results in a lawsuit.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I still think he may be a dead man walking. We've seen such an insane escalation these past few weeks alone that I cannot imagine him making it a full four years of Biden without saying something explicitly slanderous or openly calling for violence or otherwise doing something that gets him and Fox hit with a lawsuit.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Evil people are capable of thoughts and actions we would consider good. I have known, personally, people I would consider evil who I know genuinely loved other human beings in a pure and selfless fashion.
The idea that evil people are at all times evil in all their thoughts and deeds is generally, in my experience, not true.

That said, Trump is one of the rare exceptions. I do not believe he has any friends or loved ones and more to the point I do not believe he is capable of those sentiments. I'm not even sure to what extent he is even aware that other people truly even exist. His narcissism is very nearly solipsistic as it is for many malignant narcissists and I think he may well be a platonic ideal of the whole 'I am the protagonist of reality and everyone else is a literally person-less NPC here to either facilitate me or be overcome' mindset.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If you don't consider someone who wants you and your loved ones dead to be your enemy, I can't imagine what you do.

The only meaningful difference between a Republican voter and a Republican politician, as far as other people are concerned, is that the latter is more directly and easily able to hurt people.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Chris Pratt

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

VorpalBunny posted:

Does this mean folks banned from GETTR should sue using the same argument?

What even is their argument? And could it also be applied to physical establishments?
So what if I was drunk and disorderly, pissed on the floor, trashed the place, and flirted with the servers. I have every right to go to Applebees!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Casimir Radon posted:

Jack sucks but looks semi-reasonable standing next to Zuck.

I thought that, while in practice both are fascist shitbirds, Zuck was legitimately 'non-political' (IE: pro capitalism, pro status-quo, and doesn't care who gives him money) idiot who thought hands-off and tech solutions were viable answers, while Jack was the actual cryptofascist who just happened to have personal beef with Trump?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The best McNaughton is that one edit with Cthulhu.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nine-gear crow posted:

The Pop Culture Video-to-Literal SS Cosplaying Nazi Channel pipeline on YouTube is shaped like one of those extreme vertical "ride this to prove your not a wussie" waterslides.

Doomcock is just Supershadow for Nazis. Like I think he's honestly one of the best like canary in the coalmine examples of how bad things have gotten. He's literally got the exact same schtick as Supershadow had back in the 90s and super early aughts, only he's also a literal Nazi and somehow even dumber and more pathetic.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nine-gear crow posted:

If it's some minor consolation, most of the people in the QAnon, But For Television internet cult who are/were his contemporaries have realized he's full of poo poo and make the rest of them look like (even bigger) clowns by association and have begun to :sever: ties with him in a flailing attempt to save face. But the fact that he still has a following of like four or five hundred thousand people even after years of being provably, hilariously wrong and deluded about everything is immensely disheartening. But hey, racism and sexism are still strong draws in 2021.

I knew that, and honestly it's shocking. It's a level of engagement with reality that's pretty surprising coming from this crowd. Like normally I'd expect the reaction to be 'Doomcock was right, and here's how.' Like it's very rare for right wing authoritarians to accept the obvious fact the Emperor is wearing no clothing. The normal SOP is to simply double down and offer some rambling diatribe on invisible textiles and how you're just not looking at it the right way.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Last night, I ate out with my wife and a group at another table were talking about how they microchip you and if you scan an unvaxxed arm, the scanner shows nothing but if you scan a vaxxed arm, it picks up information.

All people in their late 20s or early
30s.

I mean we constantly hear people acting like once the Boomers die off the current line of fascism will end, as though 4chan wasn't a thing.

It wasn't Boomers who got upset that sometimes video games have black people. It wasn't Boomers that got upset that Lola Bunny's got smaller boobs now.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Why do you need a billionaire to fund the astroturfing? You have 4chan and Youtube as perfect radicalization pathways.
And Hollywood making increasingly terrible and performatively woke films and then blaming their failures on audiences being not sufficiently woke isn't going to help this. It makes radicalization all the easier since Hollywood is providing the script and it's a script the chuds are happy to capitalize on. Some kid wants to read up on why the new Star Wars movies were so terrible and instead of finding something that actually addresses the structural and narrative flaws with the films, finds a 12 hour diatribe on how the issue is that a nefarious Jew had the temerity to cast both a black man and a woman as leads in the films.

Like the mechanisms are already in place. Do you like movies and/or video games? If you do, and if you try to consume any sort of information about these interests online, then you are going to have to go out of your way, sometimes quite hard, to find information about them that isn't Conservative at best and outright fascist at worst.

Like I don't know a better way to articulate it, but you don't need a billionaire to astroturf poo poo anymore because the pathways to radicalization are all self-perpetuating at this point. Until someone does something about places like 4chan and Youtube, as long as people have an interest in, you know, *media* they are going to be being actively courted by Nazis who want to radicalize them.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'll be honest, I don't know if I could get up in Carlson's face and restrain myself from physical violence. I think I could like see him in public and control myself, sure, but getting heated with him while also reining it in? Dude's a loving superman of self control if you ask me.

Tucker Carlson is a mass murdering fascist and should be treated accordingly.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Also it's a dying business model regardless. There are only so many Boomers. I don't believe, and I know I've said as much, that Conservatism will be killed or even crippled when the Boomers are finally done plaguing the world, because there are plenty of Nazis my age and younger, but the younger Nazis don't get their news from the TV. If they even bother with a source of news at all, it's likely some sort of podcast or youtube thing like Infowars or Shapiro, and I imagine a lot of them don't even bother with that and just get told what to think and who to hate by their visits to 4chan and Reddit.

Newsmax and Fox are flashes in the pan and maybe people like Shapiro and Jones will continue to thrive on Youtube, podcasting, and Bitchute, but frankly I think even that's only got so much of a lifespan because as we've seen over the last few decades, Conservatism selects for more and more radical and extreme positions over time and that includes stupidity. I think soon we'll have Conservatives who simply lack the attention span or intellectual rigor - for want of a better word - to engage with any sort of 'news' show and simply want to be told in mocking cruel terms who to hate and 'why.'

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Aristophanes’ The Clouds was both a comedy and a slanderous polemic against Socrates and the Ancient Greek equivalent of progressivism.
Also medieval morality plays and hagiographies. And the fact most stories in history intentionally or unintentionally reinforce and promote the status quo and demonize transgressions against.

Most entertainment is propaganda whether it means to be or not.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Among other things, yes.
The Divine Comedy begins with Dante being taken on a tour through Hell and later Purgatory by his favorite poet, Virgil. Their first stop is Limbo, the first layer of Hell, where all the master pre-Christian poets and writers tell Dante that he is their equal if not their greater. Once history's greatest poets are finished fellating Dante, he gets taken on a tour through the rest of Hell where he learns that every one of his political and personal enemies are being tortured forever in Hell.

Once the tour of Hell and Purgatory are complete, he is taken on a guided tour of Heaven by the woman he was stalking, who's actually totally into him. Also note that a tour of Heaven is a privilege no actual Biblical characters, not even the Patriarchs, were afforded.

The Divine Comedy is the ur-self insert mary sue fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I was being facetious on this comedy forum, yeah. But I definitely think you undersell the political aspect.
Also 'look at me, I'm so virtuous I pity even my enemies, who are all most assuredly being tortured forever as they deserve.' is absolutely a humblebrag flex that we've seen fundie Christians do IRL all the drat time.

EDIT: And I mean, yeah, the Divine Comedy is one of my favorite works and it's a masterful achievement. But I definitely think Dante was indulging himself and working through his anger and issues around the political turmoil in Florence.