Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Der Shovel posted:

People on Facebook are going insane over this, but I literally do not see a downside here.

- The sequels were going to get made anyway because Lucas loves money
- He's agreed to let others get a swing at them now
- Even if he's lying, he will now be making the movies with responsibility to someone instead of as the lord and ruler of his own studio full of yes men

I'm actually excited about Star Wars for the first time since... I can't even remember when.

This is incredibly exciting! I've been on the side of Lucas leaving the franchise to someone else for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Oh snap. Assuming that this isn't an April Fool's joke:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/dark-horse-to-adapt-george-lucas-original-concept-the-star-wars-into-comics-wondercon/

Dark Horse is adapting The Adventures of Luke Starkiller, As Taken From the Journal of the Whills, Saga 1: The Star Wars, or, according to Bleeding Cool, perhaps earlier concepts than that first script:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/the-unused-stories-and-characters-from-george-lucas-unproduced-the-star-wars-scripts/

Hell yes, I am into this. I wish they had the budget and vision to make all the art look like McQuarrie paintings.

This is interesting... Disney might not kill the contract with Dark Horse after all?

On a sidenote, Lucasarts is moving over strictly to licencing, meaning SW 1313 is gone. Licencing SW to other developers does seem like a better option though ... we've been past the golden years of Lucasarts for a while now.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

May the 4th be with you.

I'm sure some of you guys read Star Wars Comics and here's a Megabundle:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/blog/2013/dh-digital-may-4th-be-you-sale/

A bit pricey at 100 bucks, but there's a lot of quality comics there.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

drunkill posted:

I watched A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and skipped the boring parts of Jedi today. The De-specialized editions, very fun on the big tv with the sound up loud and some snacks.

Edit: VVV Only for Return of the Jedi because I was making dinner during the start of it.

The Clone Wars series is also really good and retroactively makes Attack of the Clones and (more importantly) Revenge of the Sith much more enjoyable. Anakin, the weak link of the prequels, becomes more tolerable.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

redshirt posted:

I legitimately have always liked TPM. AOTC is the worst of the prequels, but it has some good parts. ROTS is better than AOTC, not as good as TPM, and is super uneven.

TPM is the only "real" movie of the prequels as it's self contained and has a far more lived in "feel" than the next two, which feel rushed in parts.

I think I agree with you on this. TPM is fine, if a bit boring. AOTC and ROTS rely too much on this is how democracy dies, the George W Bush is evil narrative. Sorry Lucas, but you've been missing out on the years of US Imperialism during the Cold War.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Not completely related to the discussion, but it looks like AICN buried its axe with the Clone Wars series.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67362

It's interesting how Lucas passing the torch really ignited popular interest in this franchise again. Just don't read the terrible comments.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

hhhat posted:

Even better is the fact that he got hired by Disney with those opinions and what that says about their approach.

:banjo:

Considering Disney's actions included canceling Clone Wars, shipping all the games to EA and deleting the Extended Universe, I'd say Gary Whitta's fundamentalism is perfect.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

SWTOR's pretty top tier for a WoW clone. Heck I enjoyed the Age of Empires 2 clone too and Rebellion was the bomb.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Sure. These are just my personal disappointments with the trailer, and if you liked it, cool.

Visually, it looks right out of JJ's Trek reboot. The colors and the saturation, especially on what I'm presuming is Tatooine, the X-Wings over water and the Storm Trooper transport.

The Falcon looked really, really CG. (I know it's unfair to judge from these early trailers, but don't show me poo poo that isn't ready to be looked at, especially if it's an iconic piece of your films). Also, the spinning camera in that sequence is just really not my thing. It worked in JJ's Trek reboot, showing the planets and ships from other directions than "up is up" - but in Star Wars, where there's a very distinct visual palatte (like someone said, the prequels may have sucked, but they "looked" like Star Wars) with the way the camera is treated.

The lighting and shakycam in that Trooper transport took me right out of it. Also, the jarring smash cuts in the trailer with the blackness interspersed... It did not "feel like Star Wars" to me.

The Storm Trooper popping into frame in the opening shot (ala "Look sir, Droids") from the original was neat, though. Though the Storm Troopers on Tatooine were so dirty... This universe doesn't feel very used - and the faux-weathering on the X-Wing pilots helmet looks kind of silly.

Oh, and that light saber... Jesus loving Christ. :psyboom:

One thing that makes Star Wars is cinematography. I'm not feeling it with these fast cuts. Looks like a well made fan trailer.

Screw it, bring back Lucas.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm old and cynical. I didn't like the prequels and this doesn't do it for me. It doesn't mean the movie is going to be bad, but that wasn't a great teaser for ME.

An 88-second double sunset on Tatooine would have been better.

I'm going to see it either way, but JJ's style is divisive, and I just don't like it for Star Wars. It looks too clean and sterile (like the prequels). It worked in the Trek reboot, it doesn't work for me here.

The prequels aren't great, but so far the animated series have been really great at conveying the good stuff from the original series.

I'm sure this movie will be watchable, but part of me thinks that it'll be like another Bond reboot - exciting for the first watch but ultimately shallow.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

Anyone complaining that this doesn't look like Star Wars is 100% correct. It does not look like the previous six Lucas-headed films. Attempting to ape that style would be a huge creativity-stifling mistake. Don't go in expecting Star Wars, go in expecting new films set in the Star Wars universe. You'll enjoy yourselves more.

Having said all that, looks loving great. Huge stylistic shot in the arm for the series.

I look at it in the context of the Star Trek reboot. The first one was incredibly fun to watch for the first time but completely fell flat on a rewatch. I literally fell asleep in the theater because it was just a bunch of stuff happening on the screen that happened too fast for me to care. It felt like watching a Transformers movie.

This new style could work, but if it's just the old JJ Abram's quick cut after quick cut because 'THIS IS AWESOME', then no thanks. I genuinely skeptical that Abrams knows how to tell a good story without resorting to the focus tested modern style of keeping the audiences engaged just long enough for a screen change.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

But doesn't that boil down to "the exceptional one is also the least typical one"? Because, well, yes, that's what makes it exceptional. The tallest building in a city is far above the average building height; that's what makes it tallest.

Empire is the movie that fans use to justify themselves to non Star Wars fans since you get a bit of that Shakespearean/classical Drama stuff.

The original is the most influential and is by far my favorite one. But honestly, I can enjoy any of them (even AOTC, man that one was terrible.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

gohmak posted:

I have a gut feeling that after this movie, fans will be begging Lucas to return. This trailer was an incoherent mess. As flattered as I am the first character we get to see is a black man like me, who the hell is he and what does he do? He is established like "whoa that storm trooper is black and not white or Samoan. X wings over water, Falcon over dessert, no space chases and dubious Lightsaber effects equal a dull and disjointed teaser once the nostalgia wears off.

I could actually love for The Rock to be in a Star Wars movie.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

He is Adam Driver's character, who is (mega ultra super spoilers):

Han Solo's darkside-turned son

But you may be pleased to know that:

It's crazy you mention Revan because the mask he wears looks very similar to Revan's

That's pretty neat since it mirrors what happened in the EU. I read some more spoilers and the fact that they do take from the best of the EU makes me pretty happy.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Anyway, I'm in on the movie even though the JJ Abrams has made some questionable decisions before. It's a new Star Wars, let's do it:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjrPTCnZwB4

This is the George Lucas cut of the teaser. It owns.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Ross posted:

This thread has me reminiscing about the build-up to Episode I in 1999. I have to believe there's never been a movie with higher expectations. Maybe the Matrix sequel came close.

I remember the morning of the day I went to Episode I, the local newspaper gave it a bad review. I figured oh they're just trying to be controversial, drum up readership, etc. Went into the theater expecting this monumental event, once-in-a-lifetime movie-going experience, kept waiting for it to get really good, left just kind of numb/dazed thinking "that lightsaber fight was pretty cool but, that was it?". I'm sure others who saw it in theaters had similar experiences.

Then the Episode II teaser and trailer came out and looked incredible and everyone thought "okay the first one was a bit of a letdown but now it'll get really good" and then II was somehow even worse than I. Episode III wasn't terrible comparatively and I think was boosted a bit by expectations being substantially lowered over the preceding six years.

This is 20/20 hindsight of course (everyone expected the prequels to be awesome) but I wonder now if it would have been better to make these movies (sequels) instead back in the late '90s. I feel like people just wanted more Star Wars, not Star Wars prequels specifically or six hours of backstory on how Darth Vader came to be. The prequels (among their many other issues) suffered a lot from "we already know how this is going to turn out / what happens to this character and that one" syndrome.

edit: eh the more I think about it Episode III was pretty bad too.

The Clone Wars series (the newer one, not the 2D shorts) really redeemed the prequel settings in my eyes. All it really did was make Anakin into a hero and give him a padawan and you actually started cared about the tragedy of his turn to the dark side. Having multiple perspective switches gave the Clone Wars room to tell its story, giving it a feel similar to that of Game of Thrones and Romance of Three Kingdoms.

Out of the prequels, AOTC was the only one that felt like a complete mess because it packed in so many things without really going anywhere. Phantom was mediocre/ok for the most part and Revenge was a bit short of being truly great.

All of them had the issue of being overstuffed with different ideas, factions, themes while giving the viewers minimal time to synthesize all those threads and connect the story.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 30, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Put simply, by the same standards that the prequels are awful and meaningless, so are the original films. If the Imperial "grey death-pits and catwalks" look is meaningless in Phantom Menace, then it is meaningless in Empire Strikes Back.

This notion reached a bizarre extreme when people with no idea how editing works began asserting that Star Wars has always been insanely bad - until Marcia Lucas heroically 'edited out all the worst stuff', leaving a lovely but distractingly snappily-edited film.

That's a bit closer to the truth, but the reality is there isn't a humongous difference between the prequels and the original films because Star Wars as a whole has always been pretty good. A New Hope is pretty good, and so's Attack Of The Clones. There isn't a huge gulf in quality or in content. One was simply made in 2002, dealing with desert invasions and CGI, while the other was made in 1977 and deals with Vietnam and Marshall McLuhan.

Star Wars is simply a series of movies, and has always been. It had no mystical power.

:agreed:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I think the main appeal of Star Wars for most people is the engaging special effects and how it takes you completely into the scene. In terms of imagery, it's hard to forget about the first time you saw a TIE fighter flying through space or the AT-ATs stomping through in the invasion of Hoth.

The problem with the prequels was that the technology couldn't quite get over the uncanny valley and the issue of everything looked faker than in the original series. I think if the prequels were remade with current CGI technology, they would've been much better remembered.

In terms of acting, I remember rewatching Empire and seeing how stilted the conversations could be at times. The dialogue was just as bad as in the prequels.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Eh the main problem definitely wasn't that the CGI wasn't good enough. It was a combination of a terrible, ill-conceived story and the fact that CGI was used to replace 99% of sets, objects and characters, leaving what was real feeling lifeless and disjointed.

I'm arguing that a good set piece battle would've made the prequels better received. Everyone remembers Hoth and the Death Star battles and they played a huge role in making the movies engaging.

None of the space battles or land battles were really memorable in the prequels and in the end of the day, that's what people are looking forward to the most in a Star Wars movie. The lightsaber fights were better but they really don't carry the movie for some reason.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 1, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Davros1 posted:

And how do we know that the stormtroopers in the trailer are bad guys? Maybe that armor is used by Republic troops now?

You're probably a bad guy if you're called a Sturmtruppen.

Anyway, if Lucas took a bunch from Hidden Fortress to make the original Star Wars, what's the subtext of Hidden Fortress? That no one likes Kurosawa movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Entire (20 year) Star Wars comics run for 300$ (the licence is going to Marvel, so this sale is the last hurrah)

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/5400/

• Locked thread