Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Definitely has my vote. I've been looking forward to this for awhile, as I'd love a back-to-basics type of Harvest Moon game, and as that series grows more and more complex, there's really nothing else to fill the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I like how a lot of the candidates have more than one defining characteristic, since Harvest Moon marriage potential usually boiled down to stuff like "likes animals" or "likes drinking."

Delay makes sense to me, and I'd definitely rather wait for it to be polished than for it to be rushed out incomplete. Looks like a ton of work with all the various components to it, and I hope it doesn't burn the guy out too bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jesto posted:

I haven't seen anything about controller support in either direction. :(

There's something in what you just quoted.

quote:

Options menu (Toggle between windowed, borderless fullscreen, traditional fullscreen w/ different resolutions, adjust sound levels, change key bindings, graphics options… maybe controller support?)

I do think this game will be much better off not being early access to avoid player burnout before more and more features would've been added, so that was nice to hear. And it's nice to see the game still coming along, slow and steady.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't know about that but I do know that from the streams so far, there is a big rear end fenced off manhole labelled SEWER in the town that you can't actually go into and it makes me angry

I too am angry about not experiencing the wonder that is a video game sewer level.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

$15 is probably the highest I'd pay without a sale so nice call there. Looking forward to giving it a try soon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I like how everyone from the SNES version was dead besides Ellen, who ends up dying herself anyway.

I'm curious how it will boast many ways to farm the way you want and offer so many features without suffering the bloat later HM games apparently have (not that I've played any since Magical Melody), but I'm optimistic and will probably buy it first chance I get tomorrow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tetracell posted:

I keep crashing during the intro part at the farm, my life is garbage.

Had that happen to me as well. I ended up uninstalling it from my SSD and installed it on my regular hard drive instead and it stopped crashing after that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nameless Pete posted:

Oh man, just noticed that Abigail has a Chrono Trigger poster in her room. Guess that settles who I'm marrying.

Was thinking about marrying the trailer chick but considering my farmer is literally Crono guess I know who I'm marrying now.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

A fuckin crow ate one of my parsnips!!!!

Better than one of your beanpoles. :negative:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

When can you find leeks? Its day 17 of spring and I haven't seen a single one. Can't find Leah ever either Pretty sure she has holed up in her house for weeks now.

I've seen Leah at the saloon a couple times.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I've been on the fence about buying this since the Steam page first appeared. The biggest thing stopping me from grabbing it is my experience with bugs in other games I bought immediately after release. How many game breaking bugs does this have right now on a scale of New Vegas to Arkham Knight?

The biggest bugs right now have to do with saving, though there have been others popping up. The guy who made the game has been spending a lot of time fixing bugs and updating the game, but he's still one guy so it might be awhile for some bugs to be fixed. So there's some risk, but from what I understand some of the most annoying bugs initially (the game not saving after you level up) seem to be fixed (at least it hasn't been an issue for me, could still be a thing for others though).

You may want to wait a week or two for other bugs to get ironed out, but it's nowhere near as buggy as your usual modern AAA game and still very playable right now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Does Penny not have new lines of dialogue or something?

While Leah, Maru and Abigail all have different conversations with me after certain events, referencing them and our relationship, Penny is still just using her same dialogue lines from when I first came to the town (directing me to the museum, talking about how she teaches the children, etc.) and she's at 7 hearts :(

Is this a bug?

e: also, is it really safe to sell gems and minerals or am I going to hate myself later because they're used in recipes? Talking everything from soapstone to rubies.

I guess so, since I've been dating Penny and didn't even realize that romance options had new dialogue when you gave them the bouquet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

I think it is. Looking through her dialogue files, she has lots of unique stuff to say, at least as much as the other marriage candidates.

Is there a link somewhere? Wanna check to see if her romance dialogue really isn't popping up from what I've seen.

And are the Chucklefish forums the best place to report bugs, or would the SV subreddit/CA's Twitter be better?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

All dialogue zipped up. Spoilers for anyone looking, obviously. https://mega.nz/#!kN9EBL5Q!xjwYoy8IsdaE2ncGb8zlxDnFv5uIGp02m1qD1ZCgFfg

Thanks!

I'll probably mess around a bit to make sure it's bugged and not just very annoying to trigger or something. Just did Penny's ten-heart event so surely I'll get some new dialogue now if ever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

They also break rocks, which saves you the stamina.

They're so nice. :3:

Hopefully someone will mod in something similar to that slime pit thing but for those things.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The time crunch isn't so bad for me, but that's probably because I'm not trying to get everything done in year one. I'll finish the community center in year 2 and then raise my family until scoring, after which I'll probably start another playthrough because this game is loving great.

Mod Wishlist:

Fuzzball Pit
New dialogue for current characters.
More music.
Buff marriage a bit, give new dialogue and things to do for spouses.
Build Linus a house and/or a robot wife/husband.

e:

Kor posted:

Is there any real benefit or price difference between selling things directly to merchants vs. just chucking it all into my bin at the end of the day?

I've had a couple items I sold at the general store end up popping up in their inventory, but it only happened with three or four things and hasn't done it again in awhile. I think that'd be a good trade-off where stuff you sell at the store itself can be rebought if needed later, like if it turns out you need the item for a recipe, bundle, or quest.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there a seed maker?

There is but you have to reach Farming L9 to make it.

e:

http://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/705153249733529600

Come on hobo marriage.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 3, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of mods to add variety, did the developer talked about adding new content to the game? Coming from Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, it seems pretty sparse, specially the crafting part. I understand is a one-man effort and I'm nitpicking, but whatever.

He said he's going to work on a big content patch after he fixes all the bugs (which may take awhile). I think some of the things that came up include more buildings like empty sheds, more marriage candidates, and fleshing out marriage a bit. Following ConcernedApe's Twitter is a good way to keep up with his plans (and definitely feel free to suggest things or report bugs to him, he's very active and receptive to feedback!).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Delsaber posted:

As it happens I've been checking the mine every day for Abigail's final heart event and getting nothing, and it's winter, so maybe you're onto something here and I'll just have to wait for spring. The dude who sells the amulet probably won't show up until the first spring rain anyway.

Yeah, think the guy doesn't show up at all in Winter. Which is great because I literally got Penny to 10 hearts the day after the last rain of Fall. :smith:

Then again marriage is supposed to suck so having a season to wait for potential fixes and improvements isn't probably a bad thing anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

How is modding coming along as far as adding/editing dialogue?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/706336018132107264

Hmmm...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

It's incredibly easy to do so. The formatting inside of the .xnb files is janky as hell, but it's all there in plain text to edit. From what I can see, I reckon adding to the general day-to-day dialogue would be easy enough, but I haven't tried it myself.

Is there something specific you're trying to do?

Doubt I'll do anything myself, just curious as to whether to expect mods soon (or now even) that alter or add to the dialogue in any way. Thanks!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

nonpromqueen posted:

Wait, so the crashing isn't normal? I could be playing this endlessly for HOURS?!

Serves me right for loving around with mods. My save file is probably hosed to poo poo. It's like farming to the extreme, cause I never know when the game will crash and I will lose it all. haaaa!

It happens to a lot of people, some of the heart events are bugged if you pick certain options. Should be fixed pretty soon.

Revol posted:

What I want most out of modding in this game is a community-driven project to add more dialogue to the game. I envision a group effort, where anyone can volunteer dialogue for any character, while the project is led by editors who control what gets added to the mod, to make sure dialogue remains in character and appropriate for the story.

I've been thinking this, too. It'd take a lot of work off CA if the community worked together and fleshed out the characters some more, especially if modders find a way to add new scripted events, adding dates, new heart events, and even fleshing out marriage a bit. Those involved could focus on fleshing out certain characters which work out a lot better than a couple people trying to flesh out everyone at once.

Hopefully such a project will pop up soon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ulvirich posted:

Just rain on his parade why don't you, jerk.

Speaking of the caravan, anyone got a schedule for her being in town?

Friday's and Sunday's.

Kyrosiris posted:

I found one of those in a worm spot; do I have to give it to Gunther first before I can grow them? Or can I just plant it whenever?

Just got one myself. Give it to Gunther and he'll give you a version you can actually plant, and blueprints to "craft" the artifact version into the plantable seed should you find more later.

e: holy god drat am I beaten

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Do people actually use the community center once it gets restored, or is it pretty much still ignored by everyone?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Apparently you can get the fourth Dwarf Scroll through tilling, as I got it tilling soil in the mine. So that's neat.

Setting up my farm for efficiency since Spring is coming soon. Are there any other ways to get Strawberries besides the Egg Festival?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Does leveling up your skills lower the amount your stamina decreases when you do stuff? It's at the point now where I can't run out of stamina anymore even if I spend all day fishing/mining/chopping wood.

Also getting to the point where I'm running out of things to do. Made a bunch of sprinklers to automate my crops, finally got married, and I'm about ten or so items away from finally finishing the Community Center (though it probably won't be ready until Fall). Still got to upgrade my coop/barn one more time, upgrade my house, and do whatever desert stuff I want.

Maybe now's the time to look into modding. Been wanting to sub in the HM SNES music for nostalgia's sake, as good as SV's soundtrack is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I'm sure Leah is a cool character but damned if I can ever find her anywhere. Maybe like once a week at Harvey's shop.

She's all over the place. I see her at the saloon some nights, sometimes around the river area to the west of her house. She wanders into town pretty often as well, usually in the general store I think.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cheese Pain posted:

After all that, I forgot to water them because they were hiding behind me grapes. I am the worst farmer. I'm glad I only planted two. :doh:

E:

I'm pretty sure now that if you meet criteria for two events with the same trigger screen, the one you see must cancel the other out. I got Sebastian's 10 heart event to work on my new save since I gifted Linus tons early on to get the bait recipe sooner, and made sure I didn't meet any other cutscene requirements for other people in the area.

I guess we just have to be careful about what we trigger and when, as much as that sucks.

It's probably a bug, in which case someone should tell CA on Twitter or the official forums so he can fix it if he isn't already aware of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Animals are great because you can make complex mazes out of fences and make them race each other and kill the losers once the butchering mod is added in.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rapacity posted:

I'm halfway through winter year 1 and the only person I've got more than 1 heart with is that hobo on the way to the mines.

You're playing correctly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

Tried putting a regular bomb on the train tracks to see if anything would happen. That is one well-manufactured train.

I now hope someone makes a mod where you tie NPCs to the train tracks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

armoredgorilla posted:

So someone on the Chucklefish forums made a mod to white-wash Demetrius.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/demetrius-white-skin.109186/

IT MAYBE GOT SOME PEOPLE UPSET.

They have responded accordingly.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/dewmetrius-valley-ca-notice-us-senpai.109303

But where's the mod that lets me marry Pametrius?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sykic posted:

The witch changed all of my slimes into black ones, is there anything special about these?

Higher chance of dropping Iridium Ore.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

RatHat posted:

Any recommendations for which specializations to pick? From looking at them on the wiki the ones that just increase the sell value of something seem really bad.

Farming: Tiller -> Artisan. Considering all animal products and fruit and some crops (especially Hops) should be upgraded to Artisan anyway, this will give you a huge cash boost for the end game. The animal ones just pale in comparison.

Mining: This one has some good choices, though for Excavator Geodes usually have some great stuff for the Museum, or rarely even stuff like Iridium Ore (which granted isn't as big a thing anymore with the latest patch boosting it). You're not going to get gems often enough to appreciate the price boost from Gemologist (and they usually work better as gifts anyway) unless you invest a lot of time and effort into Crystalariums, time and effort better spent on other things. Miner -> Prospector actually could be decent as well if you find yourself bottlenecked by Coal a lot, though you can always kill those fuzzy things in the ice levels of the mine for more.

Foraging: Honestly, this one is up in the air. Botanist may actually be better since that means if everything is gold, you save inventory space by not grabbing regular/silver goods, but the Tracker ability also points out worm tiles. Honestly neither are very stellar, Lumberjack may actually be better if you're really hurting for Hardwood that the 12 a day the forest gives isn't enough for you, even though the L5 perk it requires is pretty drat horrible compared to Gatherer. Another one that comes down to preference.

Fishing: Again, it depends on what you want. If you make your income fishing, Fisher -> Angler is good, but if you like hunting for treasure then Pirate is good. Trapping isn't great but is a good easy source of Refined Quartz , Cloth, and ingredients for Sashimi, so in that case I'd go Luremaster to make Crab Pots as low-effort as possible.

Combat: Scout -> Desperado. Insta-kill crits really trumps everything else for this one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Now I want a mod to create my own dishes. Or at least a mod that adds more variety to dishes so you don't have most villagers going crazy for a cut-up snail.

Adding different buffs to various dishes would also be great. +1 to stats for common ingredients, +2 for seasonal stuff, +3 for rare ingredients. We've got some of that already but add more stats to buff to add more differences than health/energy restoration and whatever different loves villagers have.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fishing sucks early on but once you get your first rod upgrade it becomes pretty fun. I like how each fish has a different pattern, how treasure chests shake up the fornula a bit, and how there are "boss" fish to take on. It takes a good amount of real-life skill to overcome, and once you get a hang of things it actually becomes pretty relaxing to do, at least for me.

Fishing is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Make everything sell for 0 gold except for Coal. :unsmigghh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I now want a mod that replaces Harvey with Zoidberg.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

I'd just like a basement that we can expand like the dungeon. Just add stairwells/an elevator and allow for 10 levels or so.

This will go great with the inevitable "Kidnap Villagers" mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Actually I think I'll go back to RF4 once I burn out on this one! Unique dialogue is definitely one of RF4's strengths, though. It took ages to run out of new and interesting things which is one of the bigger disappointments I had with Story of Seasons. But actually I'd love to play Stardew on a handheld too if it ever makes it. It's nice having it on the big screen but I find myself switching between controller and mouse or using them both together because neither control scheme is perfect. 3DS joystick with stylus would be pretty similar I think...

CA has mentioned that he's had talks about a possible 3DS port. We'll have to wait and see what comes of it, but seems it would work well as a digital download at the least.