Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Quorum posted:

The southeast Asian nations may partially come down to geopolitics; all of them have reason to oppose the regional dominance of China, which tends to ally them with the United States, even in votes like this where there really isn't any relation to geopolitical objectives at all. Genuinely quite surprised by Turkey as well.

They also have very different ideas about gender than either the modern West or countries voting red. Katoey in Thailand for example play by very different rules. Not that's all sunshine and roses but I doubt they would be amenable to the arguments that Russians or Africans would put forth. Their culture treats these issues completely differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I like that the South Carolina flag looks like some middle eastern country with the crescent moon and palm tree.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I find it funny that this thread vacillates between making fun of American's for claiming their Irish ancestry and making fun of Americans for calling their ethnicity "American" .

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I've literally never heard anyone think Korea is in Southeast Asia.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from MASH. It was a huge cultural touchstone of a tv show set during the Korean war but filmed during and commenting on the Vietnam war. Also most of the scenes in MASH that I've come across seem pretty tropical in climate. Maybe there are some winter episodes of MASH but without trying to seek them out you won't find them. I know I was in High School before I could distinguish between the Korean and Vietnam war so MASH was just kind of in both places and they must be next to eachother by association.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

AgentF posted:

Rio de Janeiro looking like a swastika there

That Rio one is really strange to me. Very symmetrical. Way fewer roads 30 degrees off from the cardinal directions in one rotational direction. How does that happen?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Grape posted:

I'm finally starting to want to get into trying lots of beers, and the whole craft extravaganza thing is awesome in theory, but as mentioned a large amount are IPA's and similar types.
And what I want to start exploring is dark beers. Any recs for me?

Availability depends where you live but founders and dogfishhead are pretty ubiquitously available. Prairie, fremont, 3 floyds, goose island, jackie o's, bottle logic, alesmith, dark horse, cigar city, and surly all make great stouts. 2 to 5 of those should be available in any major city. If you want, sour, belgian, or barleywine recommendations I've got those too.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 4, 2019

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

My favourite fact is Robert E Lee was for sure a direct ancestor of Pocahontas

Do you mean descendant? Last time I checked he wasn't a proven time traveler.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

The pope is from Argentina, so clearly the church seems to approve of Latin American Catholicism.

Anyway, maps for the map thread.

That may be the first time that anyone has ever used "best" to seriously describe Lawton Oklahoma.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

luxury handset posted:

iirc like the bottom hundred miles of the mississippi watershed are just one massive loving port complex anywhere they can stick a barge landing. like 2/3 of all the midwest grain passes through one of the numerous port complexes in louisiana

i mean culturally though i dont know how much people consider new orleans "coastal" considering there's not a lot of beachy or shoreline activities you can do there, but it is the best place in america to get falling down drunk in a swamp. like when i think coastal i think miami, or los angeles, new york to a degree, or even boston as you gaze out to a flinty sea - not so much new orleans

There are places in Miami farther travel time wise from the beach than parts of Philadelphia. That's not a recent thing either. It was a day trip by train in the 1850s. States and cities have completely arbitrary boundaries.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

The idea of "going out to eat" is really a post french rev thing. Public houses were explicitly for travelers and meeting rather than "going to the bar." It is very modern to buy pre-made ready to eat meals, I would even say the modern idea of a "restaurant" wasn't a thing until the v late victorian period.

Do you have anything to back this up? Everything that I've read about Roman cities is the complete opposite of this assertion. Wikipedia 100% disagrees with you and so do the tour guides at Pompeii and Herculaneum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_dining_in_the_Roman_Empire

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

They had food stalls and common kitchens, but that isn't where modern restaurants evolved from. Dining outside the home was a product of urban squaller and poverty, rather than convenience or taste. It was a matter of literally not having cooking facilities. Restaurants as an institution, something that existed for making food that was seen as desirable, and something that you could go to as an event is a 18th-19th century invention. Notice that this map doesn't consider fruit stalls and the like as restaurants. Sitting down in a public restaurant specifically for a meal, with a waiter and a fixed menu is a relatively recent concept in culinary history.

You seem to have a weird definition of the word restaurant. A building purpose built and staffed to serve people food is a restaurant and ancient Rome had them in droves. I'm pretty sure some of the local ones were more or less desirable. A waiter is the only thing that's missing and I can think of plenty of popular restaurants without them. If you want to say foodie culture or something is a later cultural phenomenon, ok, but restaurants aren't anything new. The Michelin guide literally includes stalls in food halls so I think you're out alone on this one.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/singapore-cheapest-michelin-star-restaurant/index.html

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

It has benches where you can eat food. So I think it would be safe to call it a restaurant. Thermopolia were for food distribution to the lower classes, they were something you had to eat at, or something you never set foot in during your life. Restaurants, as classified by the map, are sit down institutions, and "going out to eat" is a french rev thing that poor people didn't do well into the second industrial revolution.

You're still not getting it. This wasn't a place that you had to eat at. It was one of at least a half dozen you could choose from. Rich people deigning to eat in a building they didn't own might date to the French revolution but for the vast majority of humanity...that's a restaurant. The map is fine because it's the oldest verified continuously operating restaurants. The actual oldest restaurant in the world is probably some hole in the wall in Beijing or Istanbull or Rome or Bombay that's been quietly dishing out food for a thousand years and no one even knows or cares how old it is.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

This map is out of date. Oklahoma is now a full freedom state.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Luther isn't even a particularly high or incredibly meaningful authority in most strains of Lutheranism. I grew up in a literal Evangelical Lutheran Church and I didn't read a single writing of the guy until I was close to being an adult. And that was in history class.

That's a pretty weird experience for the ELCA. We studied both catechisms in the church I grew up in and my current pastor frequently references his writings.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Even by the strict definition, the Khmer Rouge probably qualify. They treated stuff like the communist manifesto a lot more like sacred texts than than the intended purposes.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The Internet amplifies it.

Back in the day, if a person had a mistaken belief, they would eventually admit they were wrong or blame it on a good memory of a bad source. Sure, the Fruit of the Loom logo doesn’t have a cornucopia now, but can you prove it didn’t have one for a short time two decades ago?

With the Internet, you can prove that it never looked like that. What’s more is that there are a bunch of idiots just like you out there that either already share your false belief or can be encouraged to do so by the power of suggestion. They never had a particularly clear memory of the logo on their underwear. Why shouldn’t the fruits be in a cornucopia, an item that exists to hold fruits?

As you get to talking, you agree that it is odd that they’re called the “Berenstain Bears”. Who ever heard of a name ending in “–ain”?

I think a lot of the Mandela affect is the internet confronting a good memory of a bad source. I definitely remember a junior high teacher talking about Mandela as deceased. A textbook misprint is way more occam's razor of an explanation than massive delusion or a glitch in the matrix. The same with however you spell the bears. It would only take one typo on reading rainbow or an Oprah mention to put it in millions of people's heads. Before the internet, even legitimate news organizations had a hard time fact checking things.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

presumably it would be possible to find these misprints then, no?

Not really. How many 40 year old middle school textbooks do you read through for errors and misprints? Most of them get recycled within 5 or 10 years.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Excluding major events, the average electricity customer in the US experiences a little under 2 hours of disruption per year. This is roughly on-par with Czechia, Bulgaria and Latvia (also excluding exceptional events), and thus we can conclude that the US is an Eastern European country.

Averaging across the US is kind of cheating. It's closer to 2-3 days a year in Oklahoma. We had a 3 week completely avoidable outage last year because they cut the line maintenance budget and gave out big dividends to stockholders. Ice storms aren't "major events. They're predictable and regular weather.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 21, 2021

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Count Roland posted:

What sort of ice storms are we talking about here? When I think of an ice storm I think freezing rain that creates a buildup of ice on... things. This tends to bring down powerlines and trees. All the bad ice storms I've been in resulted in at least some loss of power. There's the famous Quebec Ice Storm of 2008 which did incredible damage.

E typo

Not at all that bad of a storm. It wasn't bringing down power poles or whole trees.

You are supposed to trim the branches around the power lines to prevent them from falling on power lines. OG&E just didn't do that for about 20 years so even small regularly ocuring storms are catastrophic.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

A lot of people don't have any or much say in the design of the house they buy. They're buying a pre-built house or a cookie-cutter plan. I'm a cave dweller, so I'd love a house with most of the rooms being windowless.

The other purpose of windows is ventilation. I tend to cover every unopened window and love tons of windows for airflow. Not everyone wants windows to see through.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

There is 1 Bojangles in all of Pennsylvania. I'd love to see how they got this data.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went and looked having never been to Seattle and there must be a story there. It’s a huge number of standard compass rose US grids. But the major streets are all over the place and sometimes two askew grids just slam into each other. drat hippies.

I would say that the story is mostly steep hills and bodies of water. The topography of Seattle is unusually dramatic for a major city.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Saladman posted:

Well, then the US only has 10 cities period, because the city vs metro area distinction is dumb. Like Memphis and San Francisco would not count as "proper cities" because neither clears 1 million, technically. The only 10 cities in the US formally clearing 1m people are:

New York City, NY (Population: 8,622,357)
Los Angeles, CA (Population: 4,085,014)
Chicago, IL (Population: 2,670,406)
Houston, TX (Population: 2,378,146)
Phoenix, AZ (Population: 1,743,469)
Philadelphia, PA (Population: 1,590,402)
San Antonio, TX (Population: 1,579,504)
San Diego, CA (Population: 1,469,490)
Dallas, TX (Population: 1,400,337)
San Jose, CA (Population: 1,036,242)

100k seems like a reasonable cutoff though for those types of statistics, or if you wanted to really do a better job then I guess 1m people within a 10 mile radius of "downtown" would sound fairly reasonable too and work the vast majority of the time better than municipal boundaries.

It’s an issue in a lot of places of course, like the city of Brussels is exaggeratedly tiny (188k people) in statistics as compared to its actual in reality size (2 million), since it is subdivided into a bunch of fake "different" cities like Schaerbeek and Ixelles.

E: I looked around and can’t think of a city I consider a real city that has under 100k people in the municipal population. Brussels so far has the worst discrepancy between actual population and the "official" population. It’s probably hard to come up with a country that does a worse job on municipal boundaries than Belgium, though.

Technically the city of London has less than 9,000 people in it. It's part of Greater London but that's more like a US county than a city government proper and the individual boroughs have their own municipal goverments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
University of Delaware is also a huge draw from Philly. It's cheaper and closer than Penn State or Villanova but has more prestige than Temple or West Chester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Kennel posted:

What % of the population lives inside that area?

It's going to depend an awful lot on where the sloppy red line falls because Austin, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Portland, and Las Vegas are all kind of in or out depending on the font on the size of the team logos.

It's also weird not to include all of Canada if you're doing an MLB map. You could make it a lot more ridiculous by extending North.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 13, 2024