Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kanine posted:

this, unironically (but with more autonomous regions for colonized and oppressed groups)

edit: as in allow more native americans and black people to assert self determination you dummies

Wait so they take half of Connecticut to make a Metro NY thing, but leave northern Jersey intact?
That don't make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Litchfield county, more New York area than Hoboken apparently.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kanine posted:

it's because in this alternate reality connecticut had a sectarian conflict over the sox vs the yankees so the two groups had to be separated into autonomous regions to stop more violence

I've long referred to Connecticut as "Baseball Bosnia".

And as for thread content...
https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/finding-the-true-border-between-yankee-and-red-sox-nation-using-facebook-data/

Grape fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 10, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Smirr posted:

Is there any merit to Papua New Guinea gaining independence from the UK instead of from Australia?

Yeah that's confusing me as well. They've clearly not counted other instances of former imperial territory that gained independence from places that gained independence (IE: Bangladesh), so that one just uh.... ?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Do many modern Greeks get mad about Thrace / Smyrna / Anatolia?

Yeah, Smyrna and Constantinople being still the preferred terminology.
I mean, that sort of "mad" varies of course. But in general they certainly aren't over it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I remember seeing Enosis brand ouzo in Greece when I visited. There's a whole other Greek series of issues.

Eh, that one is stone dead though. No one in Cyprus is agitating for that particular nationalism anymore.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Squalid posted:

They really are notably homogenous, at least relative to the rest of the world. Although their ranking on diversity indices depends on exactly how one chooses to measure diversity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.97e46f4604cd

Map by the Washington Post. Data shows Ethnic Fractionalization Index as measured in a 2002 Harvard Institute for Economic Research study.

This index, also known as the Shannon diversity index, asks a relatively simple question: "f you called up two people at random in a particular country and ask them their ethnicity, what are the odds that they would give different answers? The higher the odds, the more ethnically "fractionalized" or diverse the country."

Map by Pew Research Center, July 18 2013

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/18/the-most-and-least-culturally-diverse-countries-in-the-world/

The biggest flaw of the first map (home to a completely inexplicable "mega diverse" Libya) is that there's no way it takes into account people answering for nationality over ethnicity. Among other things. Or places where large cultural and even linguistic differences never quite got the same program update of romantic nationalism other places did.

The most obvious flaw in the Western Europe example there is Italy, what with the huge rift between the north and south, a rift that has cultural and linguistic elements. But hasn't ever really come to be thought of in ethnic terms either from without or within Italy. But by any logical measure that's particular diversity.
The BIGGEST flaw on that map though because of this issue? loving lol at India.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I've been around nearly the whole island on a whirlwind class trip before, and the only thing outside the Reykjavik metro area that even remotely approached "not podunk" was Akureyri.
Which was a medium size town at best.

HookShot posted:

That street view thing makes me sad because sometimes I like to go to random parts of random countries and do street view but I never get any blue when I look at Africa :(

You can check out Ghana, South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Senegal, and Lagos in Nigeria though?

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 4, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress germany's reactionary "privacy" fears of street view. Even in the places it is available, half the buildings are blurred out. Streets/buildings are in the public view, anyone can take a picture of them.

So Normal Germans and Arnold Germans are weirdos about privacy laws apparently. And Belarus is a literal police state.

The other Euro area exceptions all seem to be places with land disputes?
Like Moldova and Cyprus both have breakaway regions, and Kosovo literally is a breakaway region...and Bosnia's mess drat sure feels close enough.
Is that what's going on?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Orange Devil posted:

They have this really weird thing where they aren't ok with the state knowing too much about who you are and where you live, for some reason.

Truly "the state" is foiled by being unable to see the front lawn of people's houses in Google Maps.
No seriously though this is really dumb.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Orange Devil posted:

OK alternate explanation. Germany is really concerned about keeping their sex dungeons private. Same goes for Austria except those have a lot less consent and more family members.

I find it funny that the Swiss, featuring allegedly the most anal retentive Germans of Germandom, apparently don't share whatever issue this is.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Cable Guy posted:

Holy poo poo... things I never thought I'd see in America - gun control.... and round-abouts

There's a bunch of round-abouts in Massachusetts.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

What is a Euro Market

It's Astoria so it probably sells Greek/Balkan food.

EDIT: Yeah looked it up, something like that anyway. Queens is basically the most diverse place on planet earth (in the real off the boat sense and not in the "my grandma was Greek!" sense), so there's shitloads of import stores like that around.
Immigrants gotta get that motherland fix.

Grape fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 10, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I wish Greek-Americans had had balls and taken the US by storm with their food like the Italians did.
Instead they just opened a bunch of diners and nervously sell lousy gyros and crap on a side menu. So as a result even though I'm in the Tri-State metro zone of "find whatever the gently caress you wanna eat", to get straight up Greek poo poo with my wife we gotta go all the way down to Queens for it p. much.

Thankfully the secret is if you want good authentic Greek food, just go to a Turkish/Lebanese place. Same exact poo poo for the most part.
Halal groceries are also secretly the place to go for bringing ingredients home for Greek cookin'.

tldr: Greece is a secretly Middle Eastern country.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Byzantine posted:

Most of it belonged to Greece, tbf.

Yeah, people acting these days like some huge bolded black sharpie marker line exists between Greece and Turkey (and what lies beyond in the dread near-orient).

But the Balkans and Levant areas have been tied together for like a millennia, Ottomans, East Romans (Medieval Greeks), and Rome proper before that..
Might just be some cultural connections and stuff.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Senor Dog posted:

also it got shermaned

It is famous for literally the opposite of this.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Cable Guy posted:

Click for imgur page then click again for large, or open in new tab for huge
(buggered if I know why it's that big, should only be 1086 across)

So at this point the only hold outs in Western Europe (micro-states aside) are Switzerland, Italy, and Northern Ireland?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

System Metternich posted:

a bad map 

(also I thought an essential component of vaporwave were the 1980s ~aesthetics~, and lofi hiphop isn’t exactly that :shrug:)

I mean 80's hip-hop was pretty minimalistic but uh... every example of vaporwave I've ever heard was basically chopped up and remixed 80's soft funk and r&b. So more like Billy Ocean, and less like Run DMC.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Penguins4Freedom posted:

Pretty sure it's a reference to those playlists of ambient chill hip hop you find on youtube with pictures of anime for some reason.

Oh so like the most not hip-hop you can get, that kind of instrumental stuff that is at way arms length from the genre as can be.

This is like bringing up ROCK N ROLL when you're actually talking about like Prog flute solos.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Soviet Commubot posted:

I don't know why but for some reason Michigan just breaks some map-makers' brains. They have no idea where to put it.

It and Chicago apparently aren't in the Midwest.

"Hmm, I really want to split the Northeast into two sub-categories, but gosh I've only heard of a Mid-Atlantic, not sure how else to categorize things. At the very least I'm sure splitting New Jersey from New York is a sensible choice."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

xrunner posted:

Congrats. You've figured out that state lines feel arbitrary. But beware - it's a gateway drug. Soon you'll be making your own maps based on your personal opinions and giving the new states ridiculous names.

My fever dream for first level administrative areas.

And why exactly do you think water resource areas make good first level administrative areas.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

xrunner posted:

That, and also it's far less likely (although as you can see from the map still possible) to split urban areas into multiple top level jurisdictions like we currently have going on. Population centers tends to develop along waterways, so it's pretty idiotic to use waterways as borders unless you want to split the population. This avoids that and puts the borders up in the least populated areas.

This is assuming a very pre-modern profile of how the US population density actually is, yes waterways explain the foundations of just about every urban center. But the growth of metro areas do not follow along that same logic, especially into the age of the interstate system. Or the information economy for that matter.

This isn't at all matching up to the idea of Megaregions for instance, where people have actually mapped how these areas are interconnected population wise.
http://www.america2050.org/megaregions.html

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Tei posted:

What is the origin of these Germanic tribes anyway? Are germanic asian in origin?

Scandinavia always seems to be the origin point of any given Rome era Germanic tribe you look into .

Indo-Europeans =/= Germanic Tribes

The Germanic languages are just one of like a dozen plus that owe their origin to the Indo-European tribes, there's no special connection as far as I'm aware.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

The Germans are an Indo-European branch but, hilariously, they're a group with much more evidence of linguistic mixing with the pre-PIE peoples than the more Aryan Greeks and Iranians. The Germans are among the least Aryan of the European peoples with Aryan languages.

I thought Greek was supposed to have heavy influence from pre IE languages though.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kurtofan posted:

We're Celts actually

Yo, Celtic culture was so widespread around Europe that some of them even got up into Anatolia somehow.
Having a Celtic history at some point in Europe is like having brown hair. Unremarkable as crap.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's completely weird to me how Americans so often go: "Yeah my grandmother's cousin's aunt's grandfather was Irish so I'm Irish too!"

No, you've grown up and lived in America all your life and so have your parents, you're an American. You're not Irish. The Irish live in Ireland.

This is a lot rarer than internet Euros make it sound.
9 times out of 10 when Americans say that sort of thing they actually mean "I have Irish ancestry", not "I am literally an Irishman".

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think that's something they say. It always seemed to me like white Americans are just going through the motions when they mention their European ancestry and it's not something they actually care about, it's just that American culture expects labels, the more the better. Those labels don't actually have to correspond to anything except in a very general symbolic sense.

That depends, at least in the Northeast it often does imply some actual substantial cultural differences between other white Americans. Not necessarily much of one (especially the farther from urban centers you go), but there is something there.
I'm half WASP, and half Ellis Island Catholic stuff (also known as Southern New England Vanilla), and as absolutely Americanized and third/fourth gen as the Catholic side is? There is still a definite difference in the sides culturally speaking.
Of course yeah this isn't saying that the difference is ENGLISHMAN VS IRISHMAN/ITALIANO. It's ...I dunno. New World mutt stuff.

Outside the Northeast? Not so sure, like especially the West Coast I think has utterly old-world free white people. Like Southerners at least have a discernible regional culture with some age on it, West Coasters are a whole other blended Americanized thing.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think it's so much conflating as thinking the Irish connection of Irish-American is too weak in 99% of Americans that flaunt it, for them to deserve calling themselves anything but simply American. The fact the word has the same structure as for example African-American, which denotes real cultural and societal distinction, probably doesn't help.

There's the thing also where you have (especially in the South) lots of Americans with heavy Scots-Irish background. And they don't know what that is at all, and have over time just sort of figured it is the same as plain Irish.

So you have people whose ancestry is nowadays Orange Order Ulster Protestants basically going to Dublin to look for their roots lol.

Grape fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 7, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Dreddout posted:

Ancestry in America can often be tied to when your ancestors got off the boat.

A WASP will usually have a older New World family tree than an Italian American simply because the WASP's family got off the Mayflower whereas the Italians came over during the early 20th century.

Yep, I know exactly the villages my Irish and Italian Great-Grandparents came from.
The WASP side? lol, they are from England and that's about as accurate as that gets.

cool new Metroid game posted:

A few years back I was wiki-ing around the various ethnicgroup-american articles and ended up on the english american page and I remember the census data amusing me

the decline and fall of the english-american in just a few decades. rest in piss.

It's hard to quantify that statistically. Southerners being the main reason I think, since lots of them don't identify with anything specific Europe wise, and will answer "American" on these kind of polls. But shitloads of them would be English in ancestry, especially the lowland South.

In other cases if you have someone who has English ancestry but other Euro ancestry? The other stuff generally has a more pronounced cultural imprint in their identity, due to usually being more recent. So someone with WASP and Italian ancestry might more heavily identify with Italian and answer just that on polls. Since the Italian is still distinctly flavored and "real" for lack of a better word, while the English ancestry has long since homogenized into generic white American.

Grape fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 7, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

boner confessor posted:

only in a token sense, german origin is still the largest single source of heritage for americans. german-american festivals are kind of a big deal in most of america, even if it is like most 'ethnic' holidays an excuse to get lovely drunk in public. it's just that irish and italian heritage is more visible in cities, being more recent and concentrated there, where germans mostly settled the vast american frontier

Yep, Irish and Italians (and Poles and Jews) came in during the start and height of the second industrial revolution, and the economy that went with it. Cities were the huge economic draw at the time in terms of labor opportunity. So they stayed and mostly concentrated themselves throughout Northeastern cities, and a few industrial Midwestern ones.
Whereas the notable German waves all came before that, when the draw was the frontier and available farmland. Same with the Scots-Irish, who became basically the basis of Appalachian culture among other things.

quote:

its mostly americans trying to make themselves seem more interesting, or ones who have a grandparent from the old country and thus still feel some tenuous personal connection even if it's mostly washed out. at this point many white americans are 4+ generations removed from another national heritage

Around where I am it's not quite so irrelevant and washed out (northeast), but that aside honestly I think as silly as it gets that it's a healthier thing than embracing monolithic whiteness as identity.
An immigration self-history interested America is one that pulls in the opposite direction of the neo-nativist nightmare we're facing right now.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

One of the strangest things that's happened in American English in the last 50 years is the ever increasing pervasiveness of a twang and drawl in the speech of any rural person, no matter where they live. Upstate New York, North Dakota, backwoods Michigan, East Washington, they're all starting to work on this country accent that takes its cues from the Southeast. It's very odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuS1XoRoJs

quote:

EDIT: "Yat" is a really fascinating dialect, mostly known for "that weird Brooklyn thing some Southerners inexplicably do." You notice it in a few films like Benjamin Button and O Brother, Where Art Thou?, but probably the most well-known example is the Creedence Clearwater Revival song Proud Mary: "big wheels keep on toinin', Proud Mary keep on boinin'." Though CCR was apparently really hamming it up trying to work a regional dialect.

Yats from part of New Orleans right? I think honestly it's just.... more Italians lol.
Italians whose boat over got crazy lost on the over to New York. And I guess if you get some Italians together and plop them into an Anglo speaking area they just naturally start sounding like Brooklyn after awhile.

Grape fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 8, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

khwarezm posted:

I always find it puzzling that, in spite of inventing the country, you don't hear much about English Americans when people talk about the ethnic background of the country. This graph shows just how watery the definition is, unless there was some horrific genocide over the 80s and 90s that we all forgot about. I wish I knew more about immigration from England to America and the number of people who have direct roots to the country in America today.

Also, they all seem concentrated in Utah for some reason, is there some Mormon thing going on to bring people over from England or something?!

Mormons originated generally from New England stock, and in Upstate New York.
The other area that pops up big on English ancestry maps is northern New England, the part that wasn't swamped by Catholic immigrants 100 years back.
See also my comments on the South.

Phlegmish posted:

I read something a while ago about there still being a few Irish-American neighborhoods in New York City. I remember being surprised at that, as I associated it with a bygone era.

There are concentrations of Catholic immigrant pops all throughout the Northeast, they're not gonna be off the boat generally? But the people there basically didn't fan out into the suburbs quite as much as the rest of us with that ancestry. So there is generally more distinction from the more homogenized and mixed Irish-Americans and what have you.
Unfortunately these areas tend to be racist and GOP voting also.... see Staten Island, South Boston etc.

Then you have stuff like Astoria Queens that was the same deal except with Greek-Americans, that actually HAS started adding off the boat Greeks again since the financial meltdown back in the old country.

Grape fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 8, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Jippa posted:

I'm pretty sure it's as simple as being of german or english decent isn't as attractive for an american as irish or Italian. Both are kind of romanticised vs stable/boring (and at one point enemies of the US).

As opposed to the Germans, never enemies of the USA lol.

No seriously my dude, there is maybe somewhere in the ballpark of 300-200 years of time between major English immigration and major Irish/Italian immigration.
People with Polish descent are also pretty gung-ho about their background as well, there's Little Poland's and the like around. You know, that sexy romantic ethnicity, the Polish.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Senor Dog posted:

Do you think the timeframe difference you point out might contribute to english/german being "stable/boring"?

No, I think it contributes to there actually being very little old worldness left over all things considered.
I'm 4th gen Italian/Irish, and just by comparison to how my dad grew up I have precious little cultural connection to those things. Any more generations out and it will be nothing much more than a last name (and even that will easily wash away).
Now apply that to things that are like say.... 14th generation...

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Those were crusades against the Baltic tribes, not against the Poles, who were already Christian at that point and in fact hosted the Knights at the start.

They did end up carving territory out of Poland, but that wasn't the original goal.

Rather, the Poles were the right kind of Christian. The Russians got targeted later on by the knights.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Geneva is completely surrounded by France. I've always been surprised that they never grabbed it.

The same reason Switzerland has survived as independent in general, Alps.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

What are sa jiao women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9uGg6IErI&t=3s

Basically China's version of the creepy Japanese thing where childishness in women is seen as hot.
From what I've heard more of a thing in southern China (like the maps hint at).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

For people bringing up Sichuan, the thing to know is the place is basically a huge hole shaped valley behind the eastern mountains in China.
Stands out like hell on most topographical maps.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So what's that region of outdoor shitters near the appendicitis of India?

The central Hindi Belt east of Delhi is probably all and all the shittiest part of India basically, just in general. Particularly Bihar.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pakled posted:

Ah yes, America's three most infamous cities, Chicago, Detroit, and Yonkers.

Yonkers nothing, that's north of Westchester on the map.

Rather it's the fearsome grit and urban hell known by the intimidating name of "Poughkeepsie".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“The US is pretty white”

“Heheh, you wish, you racist darkie”

This sounds like an interesting argument, what thread did you see it in?