Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Republicans posted:

So what's the order on the first few monsters you fight in the single player campaign? I thought they ramped things up nicely for beginners in Tri with Great Jaggi > Queropeco > Royal Ludroth and Barroth acting as the first serious challenge.

If the progression is similar to P3rd, the new pelagus type monsters get sprinkled in there too since they're nice introductions to some different kinds of attacks. So expect to see Lagombi, Arzuros, and Volvidon in the beginning tiers as well. Barroth will still be the first brick wall any new player will run up against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I see someone in Moga Village finally got a phone.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Charm table 5. Could be worse, and I'll take any non-cursed table because gently caress having to do that tutorial poo poo again if I don't have to.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So how long before I can send the lady out to get fish? I've already done the first official guild quest for mushrooms, how much more? This is a lot to do to check whatever this charm table thing is haha.

Hopefully they put the save thing up soon too.

Do the Monster Guts quest and she'll unlock the first boat.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Either play with the 3D turned on (the lowest setting will work to clear up text), or go to the main menu and from there choose options and you can turn the 3D effects off, which makes the whole game look much nicer if you have the slider off most of the time.

First thing I did when you mentioned it the first time, mainly because I'm one of those big babies who gets a headache if I have the 3D on too long for most games.

The default hunting horn they give you is goddamn badass. Good song set, not to mention you're beating monsters to death with bagpipes motherfucker. :black101:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

My friend and I who are total newbies to the series decided to fight the Quropeco. As I just got done explaining to him that the big dumb bird summons other monsters that occasionally outclass you, the bird summoned a big dragon that kicked our rear end. First failed quest ever :saddowns:.

Peco is a fantastic lesson on using some of the utility items the game has to your advantage. If you can't stop his summoning song by wailing on him, use the Dung Bombs provided on the monster he summons to encourage it to leave the zone much faster than it would normally (or on Peco himself). He's also vulnerable to Sonic Bombs while calling or using any of his buff songs, they'll break him out of it and stun him for a few seconds to let you get some nice hits in. Other than that, wail on his stupid balloon throat and pray for the best.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh my god, Nibelsnarf is amazing. :3:

Can you not break his big, stupid Jimmy Durante nose, though? I cracked his ears really quickly and spent the rest of the fight hammering away at his nose, but it never broke. Or if it did, it wasn't apparent.

I expected him to be bigger for some reason! Also the first of the new guys I've been able to successfully capture on a first-time battle.

And I finally saw it. Jupiter's Sphere. loving Duramboros Hammer. It looks absolutely god drat incredible. Oh well. I wanted a set of Duram armor anyway.

Nibelsnarf's breaks are his gills, front feet, and uvula if I'm remembering my time from P3rd correctly. His nose takes more damage though. Also he has the best drat weapons, his hunting horn is a harmonica for crying out loud.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh Jesus, how do you break his uvula? Any time his mouth is open, he's biting at you. It must be a fairly easy break, yeah? Also, 'breaking a uvula' sounds like the worst pain ever.

Sadly, no weapons unlocked for me after I beat him. But I had so much fun fighting him that that won't be a problem. He's the first 'new' monster that I really had a blast fighting. It's a shame you can't break his nose, it seems like such an obvious place to crack!

If his HH is a harmonica, that'll be the first HH I try to get/use.

The easiest way? Use a bow/bowgun. When he's charging at you with his big ol' derp mouth open his uvula is fair game. Other than that, if you knock him down he flops onto his side with his mouth open and can get some hits in. Maybe after he's eaten a bomb too.

Heads up, he can eat bombs and then you can fish him out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Level Slide posted:

I never checked what table I was on, but I just got a Rustshard so it must be a good one. But what I do know is the Qurupeco armor is ~fabulous~.

This game has sparked a hunting horn revolution. A fantastically fashionable revolution. I'm always sad when I have to switch to an edged weapon to cut tails.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

People a page or two back said you can cut tails with hunting horns with two of its attacks

The poke can cut tails, but it's hilariously impractical to actually do on anything not a leviathan since it has such a short range. I have cut Ludroth's tail with it in a pinch before, though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Marogareh posted:

I don't know if they changed it but in P3rd you can mine his tail when you first crack it. He has to do the spinning jump slam to get the prompt show up.

I fought him last night, the mining option is still there. They give you sleep knives as well, so you might be able to sleep him then do it too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dinotron posted:

So how exactly do rust shards work? I heard that the rust weapons have dragon element so I farmed up a couple rust shard at the volcano and they turned out to be useless starter weapons. How do I get the dragon weapons? Do I have to just keep trying, or are they impossible to get until high rank?

Getting rusted weapons is random chance from shards. Sometimes it can be a goddamn pain.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

nerdz posted:

If you're feeling scrubby, lances also allow you to do a small poke with the shield up, just like in Dark Souls. Unlike Dark Souls, you are vulnerable in some frames. Another nice strategy is to trip a monster and then charge at it while getting stuck on its geometry. You will run in place and you can get dozens of hits off when done right. The lance charge is really, really useful for mobility and damage (maybe not so much damage, don't know what the values are for 3U). This is why I'm not getting the 3DS version - why the hell there isn't a dedicated button for lance charging?

R+X+Y will send you into the charge without any need for touchscreen shenanigans. I was very relieved when I figured that out after breaking out the lance to cut off some tails.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh lord, the Magia Charm has the best worst weapon model. I feel like the prettiest princess at the ball swinging it around like a big ol' magic wand made of dragon-y death. I love it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just captured my first Arzuros and got Cha-Cha. Look who's a real monster hunter now. :smuggo:

Question: is there a trick or something to breaking Great Jaggi's head? I need two frills because I want the full Jaggi biker armor but I don't seem to be able to do enough damage to the head to get the carve. At least, I don't think I am; I did get a head off my first G. Jaggi kill but I can't tell if I'm breaking the head or not.

If you break his head, his frill will get all ragged and full of holes, it's pretty obvious once you know what to look for. If you've been getting a reward in the lower half of the reward list that's colored teal, you've been breaking it. Sometimes bad luck just happens with drops.

I've decided to branch out a bit from tooting my horn all day and decided I want to give bowgunning a chance. Problem is I have no goddamn idea where to even start. What are some good skills for a gunner to keep an eye out for, other than the usuals like attack up and whatnot? Status up seems very useful with bowgun since you have access to so many different status shots, but a bit of a guiding hand would really be appreciated.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Terper posted:

Uh. I just read a post on gamefaqs about King's Frills, and they were pretty explicit about only breaking his head ONCE, and only ONCE. I thought that meant you could break it further, so I never did.

H-have I been living a lie? :negative:

Yeah that's not a thing. Beat on his face all day long.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: ^ ^ ^ Thanks for the confirmation.

Gah, dangit, so I have to keep doing the "Hunt the G.Jaggi" quest to get the frill? That's annoying. Although I suppose it's good practice for later.

As an upside, you probably have plenty of Giant Skulls to trade to the Argosy for rare stuff. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I seem to constantly be out of money. What should I be doing to have enough of it? Something I should cultivate?

Plant Nulberries all day every day. They sell for a good amount and only take 20 resources a cycle.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

pixaal posted:

You most likely will not be able to take out the dragon, even if you can skill wise you will likely not have a good enough weapon to do it fast enough to kill him AND peco. Ignore the Rathian.

Make like a monkey and use the dung bombs they provide you when fighting Peco, too. Tossing one at either monster will make them zone prematurely, which makes dealing with them so much easier.

Good practice for later when Peco stops loving around with who he calls. :unsmigghh:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

I need like a billion earth crystals and monster fluids, and I've yet to find a good way of farming for fluids. I can't make a poison weapon weak enough to kill the banabra without destroying them, even fighting naked crushes them.

The best method I've found for monster fluid is the 2* Bug Hunt quest for killing altaroths. It provides you with two poison smoke bombs, and if you run up to one and kick it the rest nearby will get mad at you and gather up, so you can get 3-4 per bomb that way for super easy carves. They're a pretty common reward for the mission too.

Leave the shakalakas at home though, they're jerks and will smash your already poisoned bugs to bits.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

quiggy posted:

As much as I enjoy difficult games I shudder to think of how bad I'm going to be at this later given that I'm struggling this much against qurupeco :negative:

Everyone struggles hardcore with the game when they first pick it up. This bird is loving infuriating and he's summoning dragons and loving poo poo what help oh god.

Then you keep at it, learn his tricks, and move on to the next what-the-gently caress-is-this-poo poo monster once you've turned Peco into your personal punching bag.

His name is Barroth by the way, and he's very happy to see you.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Machai posted:

I can think of only two monsters that can not be easily hit on the head, Plesioth and Jho, and that is because they hold their heads too high a lot of the time. Plesioth can be easily hit on the head when in the water.

Zinogre can be a bit of a pain too, he tends to hold his head just out of reach unless he's doing his spaz-out acrobatic attacks.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

Zin's head, at least in p3rd, was just low enough to be able to be hit by all the x hammer attacks unless it was a really big one.

It might be a bit easier for hammer, then. I've had a hell of a time with horn because the bread and butter X>A>X>A>etc combo swings fairly low, and superpound has a bit of a windup. I've ended up just using lance against him more often than not.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

I think I want to start using Gunlances. What are the types of skills a Gunlance user wants to have because I'm at a loss. Checking the wiki isn't terribly useful either because I can't tell what is oudated information and what isn't.

Agnaktor armor is a good set for gunlance in general. Razor sharp or speed sharpening like the guy above me said is pretty invaluable for gunlance since shelling blows through sharpness, and it also has Guard +1 which is handy for blocking anything and everything.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Is it my imagination or do lance charges burn through sharpness? I could be using the Wroggi set and lance forever, but once I start using the charge rush I can only pull off a couple before I bounce.

Charging means a lot of hits, which means your sharpness is going down very, very quickly. It's good for a big chunk of damage on a toppled or trapped monster, but just keep in mind that you'll have to sharpen pretty much immediately after. Both types of lance are great weapons, but they can both be hell on sharpness.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

How the hell do I get a Monster Bone+? It's all I need for my Insecticutters! On that note, what's the deal with Dragon element? I can sort of figure out other resistances based on habitat and abilities, but what sort of stuff is resistant/weak to Dragon?

And the lightcrystal/pelagicite/monster fluid weapons look neat, but I don't know if they're any good and 10k is a lot to drop right now.

Monster Bone+ starts showing up in the latter part of low rank. I think I started getting them from Rathian and up? Somewhere around there.

Dragon element is for killing dragons, weirdly enough. The Raths, Ceadeus, and Deviljho are the main monsters I can think of that are weak to it. Most other things don't take much damage from it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I remember I killed something like 14 rusted Kushala Daoras looking for a gem, and then the last one dropped 3. How bad are Rath gems in this game?

I got one off a shiny on my very first HR fight with a Rathalos! :v:

I'm pretty sure this means I'm never seeing one again.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Carecat posted:

How can I consistently be the only person out of four to bring a trap? Do people just not bother to try it in lower rank multiplayer?

Also do you get bones if you capture?

You tend to get more materials in general if you capture, although a very small amount of things are only from carves. Unnerving Talons from Gigginox come to mind, although I'm not sure that carried over into 3U.

You're the only person to bring traps because 95% of the Monster Hunter player base has this weird aversion to capping things.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pomp posted:

loving gently caress bullfangos god dammit, you fuckers have given harder PTSD than Plesioth.

I'm so sad Bulldrome isn't in 3U. The chargiest, stupidest excuse for a boss monster ever. Bullfangos aren't the same if their boss can't come along and do the exact same thing, but bigger.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Calaveron posted:

People seriously underestimate Cha-Cha and Kayamba's usefulness. Cha-Cha with the False Felyne mask will be breaking the monster into itty bitty pieces (and also interrupting your combos and flinging you around, but that's a small price to pay) and you can equip Kayamba with a more utility-oriented mask or the Ancient Mask to have him hitting monsters with status effects and dancing like nobody's business.

I like putting stun attack on both and using a hammer/hunting horn. Things get so dizzy, it's not even funny.

Speaking of, finally got my wish and found a KO +4 Charm, so I slotted Knockout King into my Qurupeco S armor. :getin:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

One exception I can think of to this is the Hunting Horn. Slime isn't that great on slow weapons and its song selection is dismal. But yeah, on any weapon type where elemental is good, slime is better.

There's not much I like about Brachydios, but the obvious superiority of his weapons is by far the worst thing about him. When I can shave five minutes off HR Lagi going from his weakness to a slime weapon, something isn't right.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Create a weapon with +dragon damage or get some slime weapons. I did everything you did in my offline Jhen except I had the slime lance and I repelled him.

If you don't have easy access to a dragon weapon, he's also pretty weak to ice. I used the Lagombinator gunlance the first few times I repelled him, though I haven't gone back and tried to go for an actual kill yet.

When are you gonging/binding him? If you use either while he's in the middle of an attack it's much more effective than just using them when they come off cooldown. Specifically, try at the very least to gong him when he rears up and does his huge bellyflop, that will make him fall onto his side for a good 20-30 seconds and let you attack the weakest part of his body, inside his mouth, which is also a good place to plant the anti-dragon bombs they give you if you're not going for tusk breaks. The Dragonator can make him stagger too, but the timing is a bit trickier. The final showdown is a little tricky single player, I don't think I've ever finished it with my boat higher than warning for durability.

Edit: Speaking of his mouth, once you get the hang of the fight you can take that opportunity to get some free carves, including a chance at an Earth Dragon Gem which can be a pain to get otherwise. That and the mining nodes on his back can get a good source of random Jhen parts if you want his armor or more of his weapons.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 4, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

I'm new to Monster Hunter and I just finished the guts quest that let me send boats out to check what charm table I have. How long does it take for them to get back? The lady says 2 days, but is that 2 days of real time, or game time? Or do I have to finish a certain number of quests?

Two days in-game time. A day will pass in game if you complete a quest, or spend at least two minutes out in a free hunt.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

It should be noted that the Diablo X/Z armor is the best armor to go in just because of how it looks. You resemble a triceratops while you're beating the living poo poo out of other dinosaurs. It also has the combination of KO and tenderizer on the armor itself and enough empty slots to put in 10 points of Bombarder.

However I still can't figure out how to KO stuff with the lance easily. I keep trying to aim for the head but I think my shield bash goes right through.

The lance is probably the most impractical weapon to KO with out of all the weapons that are capable of it, maybe with the exception of the greatsword. The bash at the end of guard advance has a really wonky hitbox, and has a pretty big windup to actually get out. If you want to KO stuff, but still want cutting damage and/or a shield, I'd suggest giving S&S a try. It's shield bash is much faster, and hits twice to boot.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Just unlocked offline high rank...

I really found Ceadus easy and boring. He was huge but I just was bored most of the time. I think I prefer fighting the more spastic monsters.

Ceadeus is another in a long line of "hit it while it plods along" elder dragons like Lao-Shan Lung or Shen Gaoren from the older games that don't really do a whole lot, but look impressive. The next elder dragon is a lot more interesting.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Speedboat Jones posted:

Now that I have some pretty crazy weapons for high rank, I want to go back and get the materials to upgrade the ceadeus lance. I can kill him in one quest, but I need 4 crooked horns and out of killing him 3 times tonight, I got 1. I now have more deep dragon gems than horns. :argh:

I'm in the exact same position. I hate Seadoo and his stupid horn that never stupid drops.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

I hope you aren't making his Low Rank armor because you will need all that poo poo for his G. Rank armor which is amazing. So unless you want to farm him a bajillion times or don't plan on hitting G. Rank for a long time, just save your materials. I'd recommend Alloy S as a good starting point for High Rank.

Working on getting some weapons that are lagging behind up to snuff, I need several horns for the next step in his lance. There's a lot of Ceadeus in my future. :smith:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

whtm posted:

Has anyone had problems with parts of armour sets not appearing in the forge? I was going to make the Baggi set shortly after it became available, but the chest pieces never appeared in the menu. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm in High Rank and it still hasn't appeared. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I think some of the Hunter S set is missing too.

This is my first Monster Hunter game and other than this little hiccup, I've been having a blast with this game on 3DS.

You're missing the "key" material for the armor that will make it show up on the list. Usually it's a rare/unusual part for at least one piece of the armor. The Baggi chest requires a King's Crest, which is a drop from breaking his head, so if you haven't been doing that or have had bad luck then you haven't gotten any yet.

Edit: Another pretty egregious example of this is Agnaktor gloves, which don't actually require any drops that you can only get from Agnaktor itself.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 8, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Just fought a Zinogre for the first time (village), that was an odd fight to say the least.

It was fun, but super easy. If you get lucky with flinch/break timings, you can basically keep him on the ropes for the entire fight, and his rage mode is not anything out of this world for it to require like a minute-long charge-up. 75% of the fight was the dude just falling over. If he was nigh invincible in rage mode I'd understand, but his abilities weren't above that of a Barioth's or Agnaktor's.

That said, now I understand how rage works the way it does. When I played Tri it never made any sense to me that monsters could go from 0 to 100 in an instant pretty much whenever they wanted, and especially when they were near death.

Fighting the Zinogre has shown me how much in the player's favor it would be if monsters needed to power-up to regain stamina. You get so many free hits and there's a solid chance you can keep them permanently starving.

Zinogre is a fairly easy fight once you get him down, but he's still my favorite monster for how drat expressive he is. He's got a lot of care put into his animations, especially when he's low on stamina. Sometimes instead of doing the panting/wheezing animation most monsters do, he'll just kind of... stalk around you like an actual wolf would. It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

As a newbie to the series, I was curious and decided to look at the roster for Tri and compared it to 3U... :psyduck: Tri is practically nothing compared to 3U. If people can put 100+ hours into tri, I think I'll be playing 3U for the rest of my life...

I'm at nearly 150 hours, and I just now unlocked Goldbeard Ceadeus to get into G-rank. I have so many weapons and armor sets left that I want to craft, and I'm slowly working up the longsword chains while introducing my brother to Monster Hunter and helping him out, and there's all these quests I still need to do, it's crazy.

It's good to be back. :allears:

• Locked thread