Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Phobophilia posted:

Huh. Who mentioned they had Eren listed on the right flank in the first episode in this arc?

The same guy in episode 5(?) who asks Armin what he knows about the mystery friendly Titan and the same guy who asks how Armin could be so sure the female Titan is a human inside a Titan like Eren and then magically survives getting caught by said female titan and squished. poo poo keeps adding up. I think the only rookies I trust at this point beyond the main three are Jean and potato girl. And the guy with the shaved head because he seems too stupid to be a bad guy.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
So what was the deal with Levi's leg in 22? He reacts pretty strongly when he lands on the Titan's hand, which I thought was just concern because now she knew where he was. But then during the titan attack on the way back to the city he seems to look down at his leg and swear, too. It seems more significant than "Ouch, Titans are kind of hot when they don't have skin and I burned my footsies."

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Kind of a lot of mess to clean up in just a couple episodes, considering the pace of things.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
That first bit felt like a different anime at times to me, too. Annie's scenes in general seemed kind of seemed weird throughout the whole thing, to me.

It's not just this episode, though. There are some scenes were things just seem different; I don't know if companies in Japan outsource as often as they do in US animation, but that's kind of what it felt like at times.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 15, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Raenir Salazar posted:

You know that conversion seemed weirdly stilted in the manga too, the voice acting was perfect in carrying that oddness across.

So, was she pulling the same crazyface in the forest in the manga, too? That was the only part that didn't seem to fit with it being Annie, because she was so reserved every other time. Now it kind of makes sense, because she's apparently batshit or something.

Phobophilia posted:

They seemed awfully chunky in general, unlike the soldiers who tend to have much leaner builds.

One of those lardasses does parkour to get to her. I think he's probably not some average joe townsperson.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 15, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Next episode is probably going to be 50-80% flashback the explains what happened between eps 21 and 22 (the stuff we see in the preview).

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

WYA posted:

I didnt see this twist coming at all, but maybe thats because I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the show. Anyways, for someone who didn't know, the way they actually did the reveal was great. What are some of the clues I should have picked up one that would've told me who she was?

For me it was pretty much entirely based on her appearance and confirmed even more by the fact that she kicked Eren's butt. And was also the only one of the rookies not present anymore but who had seen Eren come out of the Titan. Some of us a pretty certain that she's not the only one, too. I won't name names but, now that Annie has been confirmed, the other mole is extremely obvious after rewatching a few episodes.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 16, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Eej posted:

You forgot to mention that her fighting stance is the exact same in titan form.

Nah, I think that's probably everyone's fighting stance, even Eren. That's just based on real fighting; keeping your arms in lets you protect your body and torso from blows at the same time. Or maybe you're right and Eren strikes the pose because he learned it from Annie, and it was intended as a clue. Not a lot of hand to hand shown. :shrug:

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 16, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
At no other point during all the eye jabbing did she look like that. Her eyes are healed at that point, too.
Maybe you don't quite get what we're talking about.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/83611/shingeki-no-kyojin_ch30_by_tdx/31

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 16, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Ah. Well, that's at least the 2nd time I saw that and we're in an anime thread so you can only assume so much.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Amstrad posted:

So something I'm wondering about is Annie's motivation during the previous arc. If she was purely intent on killing Eren, why didn't she just bite him in half when she ripped him out of his titan form? Or even swallow him? She was running away with him in her mouth and that was pretty much the only reason Levi and Mikasa were able to recover him. Was it her intent perhaps to recruit him to whatever cause or faction she is a part of?

Her motivation was probably "My orders from my superiors is to capture Eren." Whatever faction is involved in busting down the walls wants to get their hands on Eren, probably to figure out what the gently caress is going on, and Erwin even counted on it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

ViggyNash posted:

That's not saying that AoT could stand on its own (it might be able to :shrug:), but don't just write off all manga adapted anime as promo material that's worthless on its own merits.
I'm not sure that's what they're doing, considering how dumb and oblivious they'd have to be to do so. I'd be surprised if, especially in America, more than a quarter of the viewership of an anime series became consumers of the manga. The whole concept of "This anime only exists as a vehicle to sell the manga" seems pretty crazy, but I'm not really all that immersed in the industry to make a judgement, either.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The final episode better be double-length cause I can't imagine it not turning out extremely frustrating otherwise.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Zeruel posted:

e: OH NO PARKOUR BAKER-SAN

He died the way he lived. Never forget him.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I decided to read the Mercy chapter in the manga and it was sort of amazing how much filler they actually made. I thought I accidentally skipped forward.

(Doesn't ruin the manga for anyone, but is an episode spoiler)Manga version: Mikasa: "The world is cruel." Eren: "... you're right." *CHOMP, TITAN FIGHT*

Also; don't read the Mercy chapter if you don't want to spoil what will probably be the season cliffhanger. It's true... this series just keeps piling more and more and more stuff onto you.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 22, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yeah, but even before that there were people calling that. Hell, during the episode where she spins the dude around they were using that.

That's because when she did training she put Reiner on a string and spun him around in Episode 4.5!

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Popehoist posted:

The anime also hasn't animated chapter 18.5, which is my favourite chapter of the manga. It takes place before the female titan arc so everyone here should go and read it imo.

Yeah, I'd say go ahead and start reading Mercy like I did, but before you do, go back to 18.5 because it's pretty interesting and not something even slightly touched in the anime.

You don't really miss a lot, otherwise. And holy poo poo, don't start at midnight because you're going to be up till 3AM finishing the remainder of the manga. And then you're going to be so bewildered you won't be able to sleep. It also means that until your friends catch up and read the manga you won't be able to talk about it anymore at all because even though tons of things are still unanswered there is enough you'll know that makes trying to participate in speculation a dangerous thing.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 24, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah, but it also sucks because I speculated about all kinds of poo poo here and now I can't because I've looked too deep. Speculating about things is half the fun. And the manga moves way slower than the anime because it's a monthly. So, I guess that's something else to keep in mind if you dive into the anime... basically this thread becomes look-but-don't-touch and consider whether you want that or not.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Elotana posted:

It's not difficult, just don't respond to obviously speculative posts. It's the same with Thrones.

Not difficult? Don't forget where we're posting.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

ViggyNash posted:

2) I feel like the animation was a bit different this episode. Did anyone else get the same impression? Aside from that it was still absurdly amazing, even better than last episode imo.

This has been asked here and elsewhere for every episode since Smile. Elements of the animation have definitely changed, but they also haven't had a single scene where it felt like "TODO: DRAW SCENE WITH ANNIE KILLING TITAN" so it seems okay to me. There weren't any bizarre Fist of the North Star kind of facial distortions this episode, at least. The inconsistency only seems to happen with certain scenes, too. I think maybe they've been tossing some scenes to someone cheap but productive, where quality control is a little less important.

And yeah, about the "wet fart" tease after the credits. Not what I was expecting them to do. But maybe some people will like it? I think we just got ourselves pumped up about that in the manga thread too much.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 28, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Thumbtacks posted:

so uh

what the gently caress was that at the end

Time to read the manga, or wait a year or two for season 2. Have fun!

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
/\/\/\/\/\ gently caress that noise, there's only one specific part they'd be missing and it's pretty much a slog if you've already seen the anime. That was my experience, at least; I didn't enjoy the manga until I got caught up to where the anime was at the time.

Here's a link to Attack on Titan manga starting at Annie, Eren, and Armin in the tunnel having a friendly chat about female titans. http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/32 If you start here it'll only take a couple hours to finish the rest of them.

Also, if it has been a while since you read manga, remember that it's right-to-left instead of left to right. Speech bubbles in a panel on the right come before speech bubbles on the left, same with panel structure.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 29, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
One particular part of Attack on Moe is good, too. Most of it is pretty horrible but what they did with the initial breaking of the outer wall is pretty great (5m 11s). The rest of it is lame Youtube Poop style stuff.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Oi... if you guys are going to join the manga thread read all of the loving manga before going in there. Don't go there to ask questions, yet. We've got someone in there posting a question about the end of the episode and how it compared to the manga in between posts about HUGE SPOILER A and then some ongoing discussion about HUGE SPOILER B. No one uses spoiler tags in the manga thread. You will be spoiled.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

CaptCommy posted:

Except that's exactly the discussion I've been having with my friends who've only been watching the anime, none of who got the wrong impression with the shot. I'm gonna blame the manga readers who got to this thread first and decided to start posting about how it was handled. They set the tone here.

Yeah, I agree. We should have just shut the gently caress up for a while and let the anime watchers enjoy it.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The rate of plot twists from this point on is basically doubled or tripled if the series remains as true to the manga as it has been. The second season is going to be totally bonkers when it comes out in 10 years!

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
And then she kicks the guy on the horse and watches it sail off into the sunset. She was having fun.

She generally didn't start the fights, sure, but she totally enjoyed the easy killing.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 3, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Fearian posted:

The combination of annie freaking out over her killing the church, and not seing her dads face, makes me think her dad is the priest! ...ok I havn't exactly worked out why yet, but religious organisation secretly pursuing an alternate agenda? classic.

The voices are pretty similar, aren't they?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The Teen Titans themesong starts playing in my head whenever I see the phrase "Attack on Titan" sometimes.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Farecoal posted:

Anyway, Armin's scream at the end of episode 5 was so distressing it glitched out the Crunchyroll player, and it just started making a buzzing noise.

Youtube's got ya covered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhS_kUaKXrc

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

AradoBalanga posted:

It still amazes me that I am part of an entire generation that got introduced to Christopher Walken through the original "Weapon of Choice" music video.

Really? That's kind of mind boggling to me. Like... it was a big deal to the rest of us BECAUSE it was Christopher Walken dancing in a kind of goofy music video. I can't imagine what it would have been like without that context.

TK-31 posted:

That's great, because it means that a lot of these issues were ultimately just another factor of them trying to find their way while making this show, and watching it on DVD will be a significantly better experience. That goes perfectly with the animators actually having time to, you know, animate the show too.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to episode 21 without the really laughable bits (I laugh every time I see him running at the camera just before the mid-episode break) or insert-scene-here moments like "shaky sky cam with sound effects."

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Did your dad watch any of it? Potential hilarious vid material, there.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Jorenko posted:

She's the only girl on any of the covers in the standard american comics t&a spinetwister pose, but she's the one female on the whole cast with almost no junk in either of those trunks. Weird.

Annie's spine is impossibly broken in a way not even Image Comics would have tried pulling off. I don't even know what they're trying to portray.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah, for some reason Netflix search won't even show it no matter what you type. I had to navigate manually to find it.

Hopefully they cleaned up the translation because the Funimation version was incomprehensible sometimes.'

Edit: Yeah, it's still got the lovely translation that totally botches what people say. Like what Armin yells during the fight with the female titan to distract her from killing Jean. And episodes still have all the dumb "INSERT SCENE HERE" moments so I'm not sure this is the cleaned up version. Looks like the broadcast to me.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 11, 2014

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I think you're misremembering, because the fight in the forest against Annie was exactly where I jumped to in order to see if it was an improved version. It's exactly the same thing we got before (see: the missing scene where Annie punches the tree that Mikasa on while she's yammering on about cutting Eren free and all of those views of the sky with screen shaking pointlessly). That episode and the final Trost episode were the worst offenders for "Uhh... poo poo, just put something on the screen with sound effects because we ran out of time."

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 11, 2014

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
There's always the manga. Give it a little while to see if you cool off, though, because you're just gonna end up finding a fan translation archive and then be up until 3AM reading every single issue so far.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Freakazoid_ posted:

On the other hand, I hate that now we have to consider the possibility of norse mythology being a major plot point. It ruins the prospect of giants being a purely scientific/military experiment gone awry.

How did you leap to that conclusion? Also, keep in mind that anime routinely uses terminology or names from religions (especially Christianity) that don't resemble, even remotely, the actual concepts those labels are supposed to represent. It's extremely common. Whatever makes you think this is connected to a specific mythology is probably not an actual connection.

The only real example I can think of (since I don't watch anime often) is Xenosaga, which is the most anime game series I can think of, or maybe even Evangelion.

Edit: Oh, now I see where you made that leap. It is always interesting to me how people on this forum can make huge leaps on such tiny details without any other supporting facts.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 27, 2014

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It's such an abstruse way to get spoiled that I'm not even sure what the hell is going on, to be honest.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Elotana posted:

The voices sound okay but all the dialogue snippets so far have very clunky phrasing, even in parts where they don't need to match frames.

Yeah, it's all been super awkward. I can't tell if I'm just being a "the original voices are always better!" anime nerd or if these are really as cringeworthy as they feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
They were meters in the subs, too.

• Locked thread