Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Sweet Odin, I am excited for this. Going to put on my Windir playlist and boot it up when I get home tonight.

Onward to Holmgardr! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
Trip report: game loving owns.

Started out as Halfdan Whiteshirt, made heaps of money and prestige from raiding and sacrifices, then my realm imploded due to the forced gavelkind and Mercia pounced on me. Besides reforming the faith or murdering my younger children or going to war with my brothers, is there a good way around this?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

This DLC owns so hard. Can anybody recommend a Viking-appropriate Pandora station, maybe some metal?
:rock: :black101:

Nthing the Tyr/Amon Amarth suggestions. Basically mix those with Windir, Heidevolk, and Falkenbach and rock the gently caress out.

(or set up a Kiuas/Metsatöll/Korpiklaani/ spotify playlist and play as a Suomennusko like a real man :colbert: :finland:)

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Fuligin posted:

Since people are all revved up about TOG and vikings, I thought I might as well throw in a recommendation for The Long Ships. It's a fantastic historical fiction yarn set in the 10th century that follows the various voyages and adventures around Scandinavia and the Mediterranean of an unreasonably lucky Viking raider named Red Orm. It's loaded with delicious historical detail, a dry sense of norse humor, and references to historical events and playable CK2 personages like the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok and Harald the Fairhaired. It's a wonderfully fun read, and if you're craving a contextualized sense of the European world around 867-1066 it's hard to do better.

Just started this and I'm really enjoying it. I'd also recommend The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell (the guy who wrote the Sharpe series) and its sequels. It's about the son of a Northumbrian lord named Uhtred who gets abducted by Vikings after they steamroll Ælla and kill his family. Then he basically turns around and says gently caress this Christianity poo poo, Asatru is loving awesome and he is raised to become a badass Viking raider. Halfdan Ragnarsson, Ivar the Boneless, and Ubbe Ragnarsson show up in it, as well as a bunch of Christian historical figures like Alfred the Great and Asser. I only read the first 3 books but they're full of the same kind of badassery that makes the Sharpe books fun to read.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
Going to try out the beta patch when I get home. Can anyone confirm if I can now properly siege a Finnish/Lithuanian holding from the start of the game as a Romuva/Suomenusko?

The whole "not enough troops to siege" thing has really been bugging me.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
Retried another 867 Romuva start with the beta patch. Surprise, it's doable, and actually quite fun.

Start out as Lithuania (House of Palemonaitis). Keep your chancellor on the duchy of Zemaitja or however you spell it, and keep your ally's opinion of you high. Then drag him into all of your wars and steamroll all the costal Lithuania cores before the Norse get them. Then say gently caress you to your ally and subjugate his gullible rear end. Form Lithuania and push to Bryansk ASAP before the Russians get any stronger.

I managed to form Lithuania in my first dude's lifetime, but I got bumped down to duke of Lithuania in the first succession crisis, which ended up in favor of my infant brother. Like most of my problems, this was solved with a sharp knife and a little cash :black101:

Once you grab all the holy sites, you're pretty much unstoppable. I had four prepared invasions sent against me and those didn't even put a dent in me. Another tip, don't execute invaders; banish them. You get ~400 gold each time for your batshit insane merc slush fund.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Captain Beans posted:

A few pages back I swear I read people talking about how to roll back your version. I know you can do the right click -> properties ->steam beta to go back to 1.09, but I think this was different. Something about finding the old patch installers in the CK2 install directory?

Rollback doesn't work, but if you can't wait for the weekend a guy in the CK2+ Paradox thread just made a hotfix that you run alongside CK2+. I just tried it out and got a fix of that sweet, sweet Wiz goodness. CoAs are still borked, but they're not game-breaking.

Also on an aside, many thanks to you Wiz for all your hard work. CK2+ really turned this game around for me and has sucked hundreds of hours from my life over the past year.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

toasterwarrior posted:

Wiz has just uploaded the latest version of CK2+ that will work with the latest patch, and will be out on vacation for three weeks. Cheers Wiz, and thanks again! :)

Link as always: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?587854-CK2Plus-Balance-improvements-more-kingdoms-and-empires-more-ambitions-and-plots

CK2+ Changelog posted:

- Added Jewish holy sites

Yessssss :getin:

Avalerion posted:

Looking to start a new game as I pretty much ran out of things to do in my current run as the doge of Amalfi... Any suggestions on how to win the war of the two Eriks as Erik the Heathen in 1066? The other one's army is more than twice your size and that's before Denmark and Norway decide to join. Alternatively I'm also looking for a way to survive getting declared holy war on within the first year as the emir of Sicily. :argh:

Start from the William the Conqueror Scenario. Denmark and Norway aren't immediately allied with Sweden, and Uppland starts out independent. Expand a bit into Norrland and wait for Norway and Sweden to go to war over Viken, then reap your crown from the chaos :black101:

beefart fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 15, 2013

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
I'll do Byzantines. This is for Vanilla, right?

By that I mean vanilla plus any released expacs.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, no mods.

Man, these are getting snapped up fast. All we need now is somebody to be the Vikings!

Actually didn't realize Vikings were still open. Is it too late to change?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Dirty_Moses posted:

I thought I claimed Byzantines a few pages ago. :negative:

e:

If you want it though, go for it. It'd be my first LP.

If Vikings are still open, I'll take those. Otherwise, I'll let you do Byz

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Daeren posted:

Though that does raise a question, are we all going to be posting our different tutorials at once or are we going one at a time?

Also do we have LP mod approval for going ahead with the Old Gods-specific content?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

the night dad posted:

I finally put down the money for ToG, but I can't seem to find any of Wiz's posts in this thread. Was ck2+ ever updated for it?

Check the Paradox CK2 mod forum, or just go here

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

CapnAndy posted:

Slowbeef said that the LP is a-okay. So there.

Praise the Thunderer! I'll get to work on my section.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

James The 1st posted:

Victoria 2 is good now with the expansions.

Vanilla V2 is horrendous. Get the New Nations mod though and it's becomes of my favorite gaming experiences.

Also Darkest Hour is great, especially with Kaiserreich, if you can get past the poo poo interface and learning curve.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
I was out of town for the weekend so I'm going to start work on the Norse pagan LP tonight after work. I've played a lot of the Norse rulers at the main start dates and found which ones are feasible starts for a tutorial but are challenging enough that all the pagan gimmicks should be used in order to succeed. So, my two finalists:

Holmger Hammer, chief of Burgandaholmr (Bornholm) in 867: You start with an ambitious, but flawed leader with extremely limited resources which is a nice change from starting out as Tyr incarnate in the better-known 867 Viking starts. At the start, you don't have nearly enough men to pillage your victims, so you'll have to pick at the low hanging fruit until the posse arrives and forces you out. Still, there's considerable room for growth, prepared invasions are A Potential Thing well into the game due to your small amount of holdings, and you've got plenty of opportunities to expand beyond your little Baltic hamlet. Also, need I point out the fantastic loving name.

Erik af Munsö, Jarl of Uppland in 1066 (William the Conqueror start): This is a story about becoming strong as gently caress in a world of poo poo. I prefer to start from the William the Conqueror start here because Uppland starts out independent from Sweden (so they can't convert you) and in the wake of Stenkil's death there's no auto alliance between Denmark and Norway, not to mention internal tension from the Sverker dynasty. Since you're going to become the sole Norse power in the game very quickly, literally the entire western world is ripe for raiding, but it also means that you're going to be the odd man out and you've got a bunch of pissed-off Christian neighbors who might want to see the Stenkils or Sverkers back in power. This is the ideal start for anyone who gets a kick out of bringing the faith of Odin back from the brink and turning Rome into Second Uppsala.

Anyone else have any other suggestions for particularly satisfying and challenging Norse starts?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Fintilgin posted:

My advice would be to NOT necessarily pick something very challenging, but something a bit more moderate/easy for someone who hasn't played a pagan before. In the same vein, I'd start in 867, because 1066 Norse starts seem more like challenge/gimmick games. I thin kthe idea is to give someone a guide they can get through semi-reliably, without necessarily needing to rely on luck or lots of skill. :shobon:

That was one of my biggest concerns and it's also probably the reason why I'm leaning more towards the Hammers, since if played correctly they end up as jarls of Skane fairly quickly and have a reasonable chance to get the Danish throne. Mostly, I want an opportunity to show off prepared invasions, which are not really doable with a fast-blobbing start like the Loðbrok children or Fairhair.

EDIT: actually on second thought, considering that it's a tutorial, Fairhair is probably a better idea, and I'll just mention the prepared invasions in passing for the sake of simplicity. Also it's definitely a better start for explaining subjugations.

beefart fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 24, 2013

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Torrannor posted:

You must have less than 40 holdings to use the prepared invasion mechanic. Norway has exactly 41 holdings in 867. You can just leave out the two northernmost counties and form the Kingdom, they are of your culture and religion, they are your de-jure vassals and two ranks below you, so they will basically always accept an offer of to become your vassals (after you used the prepared invasion). Haraldr Fairhair is a very good choice as a tutorial I think.

Fairhair it is then. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

James The 1st posted:

Anyone try This portrait mod? It's looks pretty good.

The first response to the mod is... Something.

quote:

for your info ... Almoraves not black skine !!! this must around afarica.. close to egypt and somewhere in north afarica !! not all !!!
Thank you .. and your mod will be great for us ...

Frijolero posted:

Oh sweet summer child. You are in for the treat of your loving life. Try watching some Let's Plays. Does anyone have a link for the badass Let's Play by a goon playing as Ireland?

Capt. Andy is working on a reboot of Kersch's Ireland tutorial LP, with tutorials for other playstyles to follow. The Kersch one is a good read, but outdated so your mileage may vary. You can read it here.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Kersch posted:

Yeah, my LP doesn't really stand the test of time considering how much all of the expansions and patches have added. It'll be really valuable to have a fresh one done. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself. I haven't really played Old Gods much, since I've been on a huge Victoria 2 binge. I'm actually halfway considering doing a Victoria 2 LP.

I have played Victoria 2 since release and I'm still loving clueless so I will definitely be following this if it happens. The CK2 and EU3 ones got me back into both of those games and taught me the basic principles that I still apply to all of my games today.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

SeaTard posted:

If it's anything like a Norse Merchant Republic, you'll have effectively unlimited trade posts if you can manage to not expand. The downside of course is that expansion is fun, and making sure every province is a city owned by a relative is also fun, so you won't have as many trade posts as you would think.

In my tutorial LP game I wanted to show off how Norse pagans could set up a trade republic, so I won a prepared invasion for Frisia and set one up in Holland. Only after a century later did I remember from earlier in the thread that you need at least Trade Practices I to build trade posts so they had just been sitting around twiddling their thumbs instead of being actual merchants :negative:

At least they got funny hats :shobon:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

jpmeyer posted:

Castille in 1066 is a pretty standard Babby's Second CK2 Playthrough. I haven't tried it in 867 though. The Jimenas in 1066 are like mini-Karlings with everyone having claims to everyone else's titles so it's a good place to learn how to navigate gaining titles/claims through stabbing.

Leon is also loving great, since Alfonso starts with something like 24 intrigue and you can quickly stab your brothers to death before they reproduce.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
IIRC the guy who did the original Caucasian and Middle Eastern face pack as well as the Mongol and African face packs peaced out due to a contractual issue and they hired on a different guy to do the rest of them. Which explains why the first three are great and then suddenly get massively lovely with the Mediterranean and Russian ones. At least the Norse/Aztec/Celtic ones look reasonably good.

Also, the guy who did the original portraits is doing his own mod that will add better portraits all around as well as incorporate traits like ugly/attractive.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Raserys posted:

If attractive adds bishie sparkles to the portrait, I'm all game.

And from what screenshots I've seen, I'm pretty glad so far that I haven't bought the Celtic portraits.

Here's Danevang's thread.

:allears:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
In CK2+ at the 1066 start, Erik the Heathen has a courtier named Dan Lind who is a Shia Swede with a pure white COA and a pretty rad martial score. He's been in there since The Republic at least... Was he some kind of historical figure or is it a running joke by Wiz or something?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

CapnAndy posted:

So I'm nearly 1000 posts behind, and gently caress that, not reading through them. Can everyone who's doing part of the LP just give me an update on how you're doing, progress-wise? (Fair's fair: I myself have finished one update.)

Also, does someone want to volunteer to write the basic "here are all the terms, this is what they mean, this is the interface, here's what each button does" stuff? Because I really really don't want to do it.

I've got a couple updates worth of material on Fairhair, and I just need to crop the screenshots. If you guys are comfortable waiting another week, I can deal with the nitty-gritty stuff too, and indeed I'd be more than happy to since Update 2 is literally "pres butan subjugate mans, rinse and repeat now you're Norway yayyy." So yes, it could definitely use some more flesh on its bones, especially in the early stages.

poo poo, I'll even put together the base thread if you guys want. I could probably have something up on Thursday with an update or two on Friday or Saturday.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

maev posted:

In my Byzantine game I recently added the Old Gods DLC and was surprised to see rebellions now had leaders from my court. One guy, leading the Rebellion for Italy or somesuch was quickly defeated then blinded for his impudence. I didn't look back, but when my heir was in power I saw my daughter had died of depression, checked what was up and she was married to the blinded rebel who was also depressed and had given up life. He died a few days later.

I genuinely felt bad about a portrait and some text.

I had a similar thing happen in a Venice>Latin Empire CK2+ game a couple weeks ago. I was struggling to get a decent heir because I was disappointed with my first son and had no other family who was worthy of being my successor, so I went ahead and had an affair with his attractive wife. This union produced 4 attractive and tall male bastards. Naturally, I got caught and my son and I had a falling out. 20 years later I notice that my son has died of depression after becoming wroth, shy, maimed in battle, and cuckolded by his own father. Turns out half of my bastards by his wife had also cuckolded him... By sleeping with the same woman, their own mother :stare:.

His portrait just looked so glum, and I felt bad about starting a perpetual cycle of him getting getting cuckolded by his entire family, which was too much for him to handle :smith:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
Quick format question regarding the collaborative tutorial LP:

I'm working on the OP right now, and I was wondering how we're going to handle sequencing the updates. I was thinking maybe we could all just release whatever updates we've got whenever we're ready, and I'd put links to each update into the OP. Questions would be handled through PMs and mini-updates to avoid confusion. Or we could just stagger each LP and wait for the previous one to finish before starting a new one. Which one would you guys prefer?

Also, if you've got any banners or rad screenshots that you'd like me to use for the LP, PM me and I'll give you a mention in the OP credits.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Rejected Fate posted:

Hmm can't find a couple of those, but I'm running CK2+ though. Grateful they gave Mojmrivoci one, being as they often end up as important.

Anyone recognize the cooking pot one? That's great.

Cooking Pot is af Stenkil (King of Sweden in 1066). What's the bear chained to the tree?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Daeren posted:

3) Keep playing in an attempt to claw my way back to doing well, present it all as-is, and hope it helps people learn from my mistakes and understand just how incredibly fragile an early-game Republic is if you're dedicated to not being a cheap bastard. Gives people an idea of what they're actually in for in non-ideal situations if they don't savescum or abandon the game, and I may be able to salvage this yet.

This is going to be an awesome LP.

So after a 13 hour workday I realize that I've still got a poo poo ton of work to do on the OP and my initial LP posts. I've got an early meeting tomorrow so I can't stay up too late working on it, but it might be Friday before I get something up as opposed to Thursday, which I believe I initially promised.

I'm still taking submissions for banners/your CK2-est screenshots, so PM em if you got em.

beefart fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 11, 2013

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Cycloneman posted:

(check out his piety)

"You mean it's haraam to eat McRibs? Daaaaaaaamn man I've been eating them like every day, even during Ramadan."

EDIT: Holy poo poo look at that cash he's got on him. I guess he missed the Prophet's (pbuh) farewell speech on usury. Caliph who charge interest on he own loans, a shameful Caliph.

beefart fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 12, 2013

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
This is a little tardy, but the Crusader Kings 2 Tutorial LP Megathread OP is up. First updates will be going up later tonight.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

CapnAndy posted:

Time to start organizing the LP, I think. I've made a Google Drive folder for it here, but this link won't work for anybody until I get you added as a collaborator.

Dirty_Moses, SpaceViking, Daeren, beefart, GrabbinPeels -- PM or AIM (it's in my profile) me your google names so I can add you, pretty please

I started up the new thread on Saturday. I'll send you a PM when I get home from work because SA is blocked at my office and the phone app doesn't have PMs.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

CapnAndy posted:

Total miscommuniation. Beefart! :mad:

I made the drive so we could all get organized and make sure we weren't repeating each other first but nooooooo apparently. Whatever.

I say still use the drive because checking what everyone else is working on so we don't have six different "what does demesne mean" explanations is a good thing, and this way you'll have someplace to work on your stuff and save posts that are ready to go.

My bad, I guess we had different interpretations of "go hog wild" with respect to setting up the OP and tutorial. Sorry for the confusion!

It really shouldn't be that big of a deal if we use the spreadsheet from here on out. Thanks for setting it up.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

monsteroftheweek posted:

Is there a reason the same name might be used for multiple children? The duke and duchess of Cordoba have five children, Isabel, Isabel, Galindo, Isabel and Isabel. If it makes a difference, the duchess is slow.

The duchess of Tuscany in 1066 will autoname literally all her female children Beatrice or Mathilda. Nothing else.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

SpaceViking posted:

Alright, I have to go to class pretty quickly but after I get back I'll go into resizing those. I didn't realize how much of a problem that caused.

Edit: Do people typically crop images for LPs or change the resolution? And what would be a good size if it's the second one?

Definitely crop if you can. Most of the time you don't really need to show off the entire interface, so crop down to what the focus of your text for that section is.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

HenessyHero posted:

In my current game the Pope has zero holdings so all Crusades start with 100% warscore against him to start with. :shepface:

Ah yes, looks like he has escaped into the Pope Dimension...

Although it beats me how he is doing that badly and still has enough piety and MA to crusade :iiam:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Sistergodiva posted:

This could be the unluckiest guy ever. He's a 59 year old blinded, castrated, leaper. Oh, and I plotted against him and took his Jarldom.

The only thing limiting Gotland now is tech. It's almost fully upgraded. I just raid the mediterranean a lot. The pope is awesome, since he doesn't have anything but his 1 county.

Do trade republics only show up if you are one yourself? Never seem anything of them at all in my almost 200 years played.

Holy poo poo.

I've played pagans from the time CK2+ made it possible and I've stared at your ruler's portrait background on many a character and I just noticed that those brown things in the background are hanging corpses and not trees :stare:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~
So I was working on the Norse tutorial LP when this happened.

Play Vikings. Go Berserk. Eat a loving table :black101:

Also, I'm a retard who just discovered that Steam's screenshot function is absolute horseshit and you should use the in-game F11 screenshot function instead. Everything comes out already in PNG format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

~grandmaaaaaaa~

Boiled Water posted:

The only way to get through it would be having a huge dynasty and hope the gods of statistics are with you.

Or have special events where you pay some gold to send for a trained medicus for a 50% survival chance :v:

• Locked thread