Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Rynoto posted:

All those wonderful title suggestions and we get a meme. :commissar:

Old Gods is out. A few CTD errors but it's still awesome.

Crusader Kings II: Beard! was my favorite, but it was a really late suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I ran into the same problem - my heir is somewhere in the British isles and I have no way to lure him back so I can set him up a proper marriage. Come back, son, I'll give you Norwegian maidens and Saxon concubines!

This DLC owns so hard. Can anybody recommend a Viking-appropriate Pandora station, maybe some metal?
:rock: :black101:

I listened to Thyrfing. Spotify at least has several albums.

Looting is fun, but I started as Ivar the Boneless and he's so big a player that there are actual wars to wage instead of simply looting (I mean, I looted the entire countryside of Wessex, cause they couldn't muster as many troops as I had in my "looting force"). But I guess it's now much more fun to play as mere count, since you can piss off kings.

I also haven't found planned invasions anywhere. It would be nice.

Oh, and even though it's cool to reform a religion, it kind of sucks that as a pagan ruler it's essentially a race against time for reformation. I know there's a reason pagans lost historically, but I'd rather have a century or so of unreformed Norse playing before the penalties really start to kick in. I guess what I'm saying is that unreformed pagans shouldn't be stuck with gavelkind. :)

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

JosefStalinator posted:

Oh Paradox :allears:

Click for big.

I read the little box in the Nameless One's voice.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

John Charity Spring posted:

In addition to the looted penalties, sometimes holdings can be entirely destroyed by raiders.

Yeah, that triggered to me when I was looting Rome. Burn, castle, burn!

This DLC is really awesome and I like how it's tongue-in-cheek in some parts. The only thing I've felt bad about is sacrificing people at blot. Yeah, looting and taking concubines and whatever, but that flavor text of people reciting their prayers while a noose is placed on their neck gets me. :(

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
My Norse game is pretty special. Here's the reformer, Ivar's granddaughter:

I guess the reformed Norse faith shall be pretty feminist? Especially considering that the Norse-Popette's entire family - all living dynasty of Ivar the Boneless - are women:

Ok, later I did have a son. Here's the sole male member of the dynasty so far:

His two sisters are quick as is his mother.

Bonus image: perhaps Russia will be formed as a mercenary band in this timeline. Kiev and almost all other Russian lands are divided between Suomenusko ja Norse pagans, and this guy seems to be the sole Russian Orthodox ruler on the map:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Dauntasa posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that the entire Catholic world wouldn't just sit around if a bunch of pagans were trying to burn the Pope's house down.

Next patch should make it so that the entire Catholic world turns hostile to Pope's raiders like a realm turns hostile to vikings raiding its province.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Neif posted:

Yeah I was enjoying raiding the poo poo out of every non-norse nation around as a Viking King, my eldest son and heir became a Varangian guard came back years later with a nice martial ability some cool scars however he'd converted to Orthodox Christianity...thus when he inherited the throne I ceased to be a badass Viking nation and became a wimpy Orthodox Kingdom no more raiding for me : (

:dawkins101:

What's kind of strange is that the ability to raid remains even if the Norse faith is reformed. Seems like it makes it kind of overpowered in late game, but is that so? I'm in 960s yet.

And can pagans receive missionaries from Christians AND Muslims? In my Ivar game I've gotten only Catholic missionaries, which makes sense because I've hanged out around Britain and Scandinavia. It would be cool however if Muslims could convert the Polish, the Magyars and the Russians or other pagans too. (So far in my game all those peoples have yet remained pagan.)

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Haha, oh man. Well over a year ago I posted this on the Paradox forums. The original joke wasn't mine of course, I just came up on that image, but I thought to pass it on. It's funny that Paradox remembered it and absolutely awesome if they actually make that thing into an optional mod or something.

Rejected Fate posted:

...They added the Hellenic religion but not Judaism?

....Where the hell are they even going to put it?

I think there were some last bastions of Hellenic paganism in Southern Greece in 867 or something. It'd be cool to have that.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

PleasingFungus posted:

(B) find a non-Suuomensko province owner to steal from

It's so weird seeing Suomenusko written wrong, because it literally means "Finnish faith" in Finnish. I get it that it's a long word and looks weird from English point of view, but I think English speakers would feel the same if someone wrote "Enlgiish faiht".

Just pointing out an interesting thing. :) This ain't meant to be a "write it correctly dammit :argh:" post.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, eh. I can't say I'm a fan, personally. Especially since, and this probably isn't a big factor or anything, but I think about the CPU cycles added by every new character created everywhere in the world whenever there's a rebellion, and all of them pretty much completely pointless, because they almost never win.

Now that the timeline's extended, the game really should prune all characters who aren't family to title holders 100 years after their death.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I'm the Fylkir of the reformed Norse faith, but I can't send my seer to convert unreformed pagans. :(

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I diplomacy of 6. He... cries persuasively? Can't figure out the martial or the stewardship though.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Sebastian Vettel posted:

That is your problem with that image? Not Azerbaijan in Denmark?

Well, Azerbaijan won the ESC two years ago and this time the winner was Denmark, so...

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Boing posted:

a horse portrait would've been fantastic.

Even better would be to have chancellor wear this.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
How do prepared invasions work? Those warriors come to my court and then two years pass and they get edgy and go away because I haven't invaded. The declare war button is grey because I have levies raised and there is no decision like "now is the time to invade!!" either.

vvvv Oh. :doh:

Rurik fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 14, 2013

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Enigma89 posted:

This game is loving hard. I thought I would dominate after being an original HOI and Victoria player.

I think trying to play the Game of Thrones mod first was a bad idea. Too hard and too fast. Time to go back to Ireland :negative:

Heh, this game is easy, but I never learned to play Vicky properly or HoI at all. :v:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

nutranurse posted:

Destroys the patriarchy.

What does the mod have against Orthodoxy? :saddowns:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Since forming the Roman Empire a few months ago, which was a big learning experience for running a large empire. I learned to NEVER create king Vassals (unless they are small kingdoms like Khiva etc). They will gently caress your manhole, often and hard. Create dukes, and give them control of all their de jure counties, but only let them have one county themselves. If Byz or Muslim, don't hesitate to revoke ducal titles if you have an rear end in a top hat brewing. All it takes is one succession crisis and a couple of pissed off king vassals to gently caress your empire. Even if you do manage to head it off, you'll almost always notice that your neighbours have sniped off provinces from your rebelling vassals. It's all about risk management, I guess. You can always hand out king titles and save scum when poo poo gets hot.

Where's the fun in that? I think the game gets dull when you can't lose.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Knuc If U Buck posted:

So purposefully ignoring what I know about the game to make it harder for myself, in order to make things more fun? I think when I reach that point I'll be well bored with the game.

Purposefully doing what a medieval ruler would've done. They were just as petty and passionate as all other people. If they had simply calculated everything by cost and effect, the Middle Ages wouldn't had been so chaotic and interesting. There would also be no awesome stories to tell other than the variations of "here's how I became God-Emperor and here's how I kept everyone else down".

Also, what's the point of character traits if not to play according to them? King Knut the Kind should not act in a cruel manner.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Started a new game as Harakd Fairhair. The first years have been good: I went pillaging to Wessex and immediately caught Æthelred's 17-year-old wife in a siege. Into the concubinarium the queen went. Then something fun happened: I got the event of her being pregnant and me being away. 7 months later a son was born to Æthelred and her! She was already pregnant when I got her. The son has the "born from a concubine" trait, which is silly, cause his parents had been married. There is also something annoying: the boy was immediately at his father's court in Wessex. Is there a cheat that could transfer him to my court? His mother was there and there's no way I'd have let him be taken to Wessex. It'd be fun to raise him Norse and wait till he inherits or put him on the throne myself.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

RabidWeasel posted:

You should probably report this as a bug, though the only part that is obviously broken is the child magically whisking himself away to Wessex.

Ok, I'll report it.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
As Haraldr Fairhair, I decided to become the king of Africa instead of Norway, because it'd be more fun and the sun of Libyan coast is much more pleasant than Norwegian winds. When Haraldr was already old, his granddaughter grew up to be this absolutely amazing woman:

Sadly, both Haraldr and his son had lots of sons, and how could they make an unreformed pagan kingdom to accept this woman as their ruler? So when zealous Haraldr died, his much more practical son did the unthinkable - allowed the Christians to preach and turned Catholic. Sadly Ylva, his genius daughter was zealous like her grandfather, so the only way to convert her was to throw her into the dungeon and demand conversion.

It's been difficult to rule a small kingdom - pagan or Catholic - between the super stable Arabian empire and Umayyad kingdom. The latter invaded in a holy war for Kabylia and I only managed to make a white peace by spending the treasury from my raiding days on mercenaries. I went from 1900 gold to 40. But I got the white peace.

The true kicker though? The amazing Ylva the genius died. At the age of 33. Natural death. :negative:

It was all for nothing. I can't even raid anymore, since I'm Catholic. At least I have an elective monarchy, so I might pick a pagan as my successor instead.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Rapdawg posted:

So while I am looking up Europa Universalis IV, can anyone here tell me Goon reasons to buy this?

Goon reasons? I can give you good reasons, but even though Paradox has honored us with its presence I don't think SA is that prominent.

Kidding aside, EU3 was a fun alt-history simulator even though there wasn't much else to do in the end than paint the map your color. Imagination and knowledge on the subject matter makes it even more fun. Paradox games got me really reading about history, and thus leading Ottoman armies against Austria and succeeding in the siege of Vienna is a lot more than just two different colors battling in a computer game.

And you can colonize the Americas as Japan, China or some South-Eastern Asian country! Or as the Ottomans or Tunisia! Or you can conquer England as France and see what happens a few centuries down the road in India that is not subjugated by the British Empire!

And the converter seems like the best thing ever. It's the thing I've been waiting for since 2008, when all I had was CK1 and EU3. Can't wait to start as some Russian prince in the Old Gods start, convert to Sunni, form the sultanate of Russia and take that to EU4.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Can Slavic pagans concubines? I want a Russian Muslim game, but waiting for a preacher to arrive could take time.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Allyn posted:

Yes, every pagan religion (including generic pagan and hellenic, apparently) can have up to 3.

Ok, that's great. :) But I've run across another problem with my plan to convert into Sunni. The Russian duchies don't get any any navies and there are Tengri Magyars and Cumans as well as Orthodox Byzantines between them and the nearest Muslims. (And if the Russians even had navies, I think only the Norse could navigate rivers.) So there's practically no way to siege a Muslim province and take potential concubines prisoners. Taking them via diplomatic screen is also impossible, because "----- Sunni faith prohibits taking concubines". And cause there's so much land and different realms between me and the Muslims, it's unlikely a preaching Muslim will show up anytime soon.

The only way to do this that I can think of is to use the ruler designer to make a Russian Sunni from the start. But then I'd lose the portion of playing as a Slavic pagan and experiencing the story of conversion. Is there any other way left?

What was the "always accept diplomatic offers" cheat? I could enable that and ask for a Sunni concubine/wife.

Wait, will a Muslim ruler let me marry his courtier even if I'm infidel if she's not his relative?

Beamed posted:

Was it ever fixed in EU3 that the International Date Line couldn't calculate naval ranges across it, and so you couldn't colonize America East-West or Asia West-East?

I don't know about this problem, so maybe.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Panzerkin3D posted:

You can also use the random char generator for all the baronies you don't want the count to inherit (or just all of them except the county seat). Once all the baronies are handed out (takes like 5-10 seconds per county) give the country title and all lower titles to whoever you want to have it.

I tend to avoid this because I think it might bloat the save and slow the game as it progresses. :saddowns: It probably doesn't though.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, there is this:

Wait. Was this from some previous Paradox thread in which someone posted a screenshot of Ile-de-France becoming Swedish in culture? And then a discussion followed on how the French capital can flip culture that way? Someone wrote that elaborate text as an example of how it might happened. Then Paradox actually included it in the game? :stare:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Beamed posted:

I would honestly love if there were some way to actually do that, similar to the Orthodox/Catholicism one.

I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression that schism is unmendable. The Catholics and the Orthodox would "only" have to agree on theological issues. The Shiite on the other hand think the Sunni stole the Caliphate from Ali (and later killed him?) There is simply nothing that can be done anymore.

By all means, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Knuc If U Buck posted:

While there are merits to creating (small!) kingdoms under any other empire, you get free ducal revocations as the ERE which you lose when you put king vassals in the middle. It'e free to revoke a ducal title of some jackass that's in a faction and put a new duke between you and him.
Well the dukes are the kings' problem then.

I like my vassals strong.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I just had an idea for an excellent CK2->EU4 game. Start in 1204, play as the Latin Empire and try to make it into a great power in EU4.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You take more manpower losses with all your troops on a single flank, but your morale takes less damage. I guess use it if you need to win a single decisive battle and aren't worried about overall losses. I can't be bothered organising flanks so I just slap my best commanders in the center throughout my stacks and the lesser commanders on the flanks, and try to win by numbers/terrain

The one thing I'd like to have is the battles being more unpredictable. An army should be able to beat a force three times its size very rarely, but right now it's practically impossible.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
My CK2 -> EU4 game in which I plan to form a Sunni Russia is to an interesting start. Usually Rurik's dynasty dies out right from the start, but this time he not only managed to form Rus but to do this:

The result is here:

I'm those Kryvians over there. It seems like becoming Rus isn't as easy as expected. I might have to form Lithuania first or go for Ruthenia.

That's not a problem though, since look at my heir. :smug:

He'll die of natural causes at the age of 21 you say? Well look at his siblings: he has three brothers, and every one of them is a genius. This is the luckiest I've had with the RNG. Sure, my character is designed (I told my girlfriend to come up with something I'd play with through the whole game, seems more fun than picking something pre-existing), but he's not genius. His wife however is. At the beginning of the game she held a single temple somewhere in Great Moravia and her stats were amazing. And all our four sons came out geniuses as well.

Then Great Moravia converted Catholic and all the vassals did as well, my wife included. She came to my court after that. This woman led her religious community and is a towering intellect. Then Catholicism came along and she was brushed aside. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
So, uh. Remember my last post where I told about Rurik forming Rus and launching a successful invasion for Denmark? I forgot to mention he was in a regular marriage with the queen of Svidjod, which was already basically de jure Sweden. The queen died and one of Rurik's sons got the title (not Helgi though, he's still waiting for his lands while Rurik is 70 and still going strong). This son died pretty shortly and now Rurik's granddaughter rules Sweden.

Or she doesn't, since Rurik somehow got the claim for Sweden and took it from his own granddaughter.

(Rurik wasn't listed as the first attacked though, some Jarl was. It's even more hilarious if some vassal decided to kiss his liege's rear end by pressing the claim against his granddaughter.)

Yeah, it's 900 and Rus, Sweden and most of Denmark are the same realm.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
So, my game experiences the wacky patch stuff and I haven't downloaded 1.111. I'm not sure I want to, since I've played for a few years and some concubine spawn-turned-syphilitics have died and new characters have been born.

If I continue this game, everything should eventually become normal, right? Byzantine emperor became blind, but when he dies and new characters are born, they won't be blind? Or is the order of traits permanently ruined?

I want to continue this game. It's for the conversion.

e: Eh, converter's patched too? Will my game even survive if I patch it again? I started it two patches ago.

Rurik fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 16, 2013

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

jpmeyer posted:

The games with 1.10 weren't permanently ruined. I did the quick and dirty traits tweak and everyone got the traits shifted back properly. Haven't tried with 1.111 yet but if it works the same way it should be fine.

Let's say I saved in 945 before patching to 1.10. Then I played to 947 with the ruined game. If I patch it now, can I play from 947 or do I need to load the 945 save?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I updated to the latest patch and picked an earlier save, the one before 1.103. As king of Lithuania I pressed my weak claims for Holmgard and Toropets against Gardariki. My 60-year-old king died and his 2-year-old son of a concubine took over. The war ended because CB was no longer valid and the son didn't inherit the claims. Why not?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Were the claims inheritable?

Aren't all fabricated claims that are pressed in a war inheritable?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Are there any mods that add events and flavor but nothing else so the game can still be converted to EU4?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

SpRahl posted:

Probably my favorite chunk of the article

That entire text was pure :unsmith:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
So, the AI has managed to recreate the Caliphate in my current Sunni Rus game. And what a beast it is. Iberia is part of it:

They have an army which makes them the sole superpower in the world:

It's around 1085.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Rejected Fate posted:

...Well done, dad.

I like to think of that as one of those Pseudo Dimitry situations.

• Locked thread