Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

HughGRect posted:

Issue 7 won't boost the numbers, 8 might bring in more due to more end game content being added, issue 9/Tokyo will be the big one for bringing people back which should drop near the end of summer.

I think Tokyo's more likely for Christmas at their current pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Section Z posted:

Huh, I know I've been too busy to actually PLAY, but I just got a Steam message saying my card has charged back my The Secret World purchase. Game remoevd, the account will be restricted for 9 weeks (sept 10) etc, and "Once the restriction has been lifted, the mastercard will no longer be an accepted method of payment on steam".

What the hell? Should I be particularly worried for my card or is this Funcompetence? The bigger pain in the rear end if my card isn't in danger will be the whole 'sorry, you're not allowed to pay with this anymore if you want that game back'.

I do since Funcom is based out of Europe that it can cause some funky stuff with CC companies (mine tried to block a transaction as potentially fraudulent and I had to call in to lift it), but if you bought it through Steam shouldn't the billing have gone through Steam?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Seventh Arrow posted:

Question for those who have finished a large chunk of the game's content: Are there any references anywhere to The Longest Jouney or Dreamfall?

In the intro there's a Dreamfall poster in your character's room.

But no, there's no real connection between the two.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Aphrodite posted:

I assume I'd have the context for this if I was in game, but what happened? It renewed on its own or something?

Yeah, I looked at the chat transcript and don't see what the dude's complaining about either. :shrug:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Toshimo posted:

I don't remember if it was by unlinking my paypal account or not updating my card details when I got a new card, but it was a failed transaction. Still, and unremovable failed transaction shouldn't auto-bill when you purchase an entirely separate item.

So.. wait.. you didn't actually tell Funcom to cancel the subscription. You just let a transaction (that in their minds was previously agreed to, since you didn't cancel) fail, and then you're surprised when the system tries it again when you add funds to the account, since you never actually told Funcom "PS- I don't want you trying to bill me any more, I'm canceling."

Yeah, no. Sounds like this one's probably on you dude.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Cleretic posted:

The trouble is that we're both seeing a really bad slump in the game development cycle (according to one of the devs on the main forums, the Transylvania DLC had really hindered development because of the big shift to NorCal; it's all sorted now)

Just to correct you, the dev team moved to North Carolina, not NorCal. (Funcom's customer service dept. was already in NC) :eng101:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Avoid them while not on the quest...just because they're difficult and don't give you anything?

They don't give you anything if not on the quest.

WarLocke posted:

Also because if you kill them you gently caress up the quest for the person who's actually on it (until it respawns, I assume)?

Actually the game is pretty generous with that stuff. If a player was actually on the quest and engaged with it, if you kill it they still get quest credit. There isn't kill-stealing in TSW.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

rizzen posted:

So is it worth doing Polaris at all? Just about finished all the quests in the first zone, wondering if it's worth finding a group for this early on.

Yes. Polaris is awesome. Do it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pound_Coin posted:

Is it possible to restart the storyline on an existing character? I played at launch and got to the second area? before stopping, now I have a character with a bunch of account awards but I can't remember most of the plot other than zombies.

No, unfortunately not. You can always roll another character to catch up, or just watch stuff on Youtube.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

Someone with a live forum account ask why grandmasters aren't getting all scenarios for free.

Are you being serious or facetious? Because I'm pretty sure the scenarios will be under the point threshold subscribers get, as usual.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BigRoman posted:

Alright, well I've started playing this game. In as Anthony "CarlosDanger" Wener on Daemon server east. I will try to get this mumble thing to work, but feel free to stop by and say hi.

No no no, they said the Secret World. Not the front page of Politico, man.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Bauxite posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they made the Orochi group to have enough bodies to fill a quota for aesthetics. You can't swing a dead chicken in TSW without hitting a dead Orochi scientist.

I think at a certain point the TSW devs realized that dead Orochi had become a running joke and decided to just go with it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Brain In A Jar posted:

Am I missing something or is the Savage Coast designed to just completely gently caress you up?

Everything is trivial is Kingsmouth for me, I'm wearing all QL3+ weapons and most charms, but the second I try any mission on the Coast I get my poo poo handed to me.

I've gone from being a walking god on one side of a small tunnel to being unsure what will kill me first – the monsters, or diabetes from the sheer number of soda cans I slug constantly like some sort of twisted addict on a binge.

Savage Coast and Blue Mountain are sort of the game's built in build-check for leveling. You can have a pretty broken build and still get through Kingsmouth OK since its the relatively-easy newbie area, but if your rear end keeps getting handed to you in SC, then that means you should probably re-examine your build.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I don't think the FF14 crowd and the TSW crowd have many overlapping demographics.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kaethela posted:

I don't remember many details, but wasn't the first XIV launch a hilarious failure?

Yes, which is why they're taking a mulligan. The two can't really be compared though because they basically gutted and rebuilt the entire game. Square made a pretty vocal mea culpa over it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

I don't do this often but in Funcoms defense Ragnar did say monthly content then gently caress off to a different project, then Funcom started slashing staff numbers.

Edit: Joel could have said way sooner than he did that monthly content wasn't going to happen though. But you know how important his insulting the player base is. That takes priority to actually being useful.

To be fair: Funcom only started slashing numbers when they had projected TSW getting 1 million+ sales, and it struggled to get to 300k. It significantly missed its sales targets.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Brackhar posted:

Unfortunately I'm kinda miffed that as a lifetime subscriber I didn't get access to them for free, so I dunno if I will. :(

If you don't spend your monthly free points on Barbie dressup you do.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

And where are they doing this testing at? It's certainly not testlive.

They have an internal QA server. Stuff goes there before it goes to Testlive. This has always been the case.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

orcane posted:

Grindy events are the best events. I guess I won't even bother :(

Is the previous stages' lore still available?

I'm interested in knowing this too if anyone else knows.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AlmightyBob posted:

Wow, sounds like they didn't learn anything from the end of the world event last year.

More like "The people who learned things got laid off."

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

regulargonzalez posted:

Sorry for a question that's surely been asked too many times to count, but didn't see it in the last few pages:

The game always looked interesting to me pre-release. I gather from the last couple pages that there's no real goon presence, but regardless of that is the game worth buying and playing through for the story / quest design? And if it is worth it, do I spring for the standard edition or the Massive edition. They're on sale for $15 and $30 respectively, for another 10 minutes but if I miss the sale I'll probably just wait until they go on sale again in the future. Worth it at that price?

Standard edition is worth it, yes. Also good summary of people's thoughts on the matter.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Saxophone posted:

Are there any sales on this? I kind of want to play, but I missed all the half off deals they were running and 30 bucks feels kind of steep.

Frequently. It's been marked down for pretty much every major Steam sale in the past year.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pilchenstein posted:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/game_director_letter_january_2014

I suppose I should get off my arse and actually loving finish Transylvania before Tokyo arrives. Though I'm sure I've got a while yet.

Edit: I apparently picked the greatest loving moment to stop playing for months, my story mission just says "Find the One". Anyone got a non-spoilerish hint for me? It's Mortal Sins tier 24.

This thread has non-spoilerish hints progressing til the answer.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tallgeese posted:

Leen?

Why did Funcom lose so much staff anyway?

Turns out that when you aim to have your MMO support 1 million players and get 250k that your income comes in a bit lower than expected.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Every time I see a bunch of new posts in this thread I get a little excited that there was some news on Tokyo or something.

Then disappointment sets in. :sigh:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

There was news the other day! It was delayed for quality.

Considering Funcom's current staff that means we should expect it in... 2018?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The other numerical clues in the game have been converting decimal to ASCII. (For example: in the first puzzle "98 101 110 103 97 108" translated to "Bengal") The 1-5 counts just signal start and end of message. It's possible you got some digits wrong with that one though because it translated to "0l8DMYW", which doesn't make a lot of sense.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 21, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

Yes Funcom that's what I want to do, spend more money on your game.
It's not a Funcom game. It's being run by Human Equation, which is the company that ran the other TSW ARGs for Funcom. Funcom's just helping them with the marketing.

Azubah posted:

It says a free year subscription though, does this mean that that ARG will require a sub fee?
Yes, that's their plan. Reason why that's different from other ARGs is because most other ARGs are being run as a marketing campaign for something else (game, movie, TV series, etc.), whereas this one will be simply for the fun of it.

I think it's an intriguing idea. I do think the crowdfunding campaign is being absolutely horribly run though.

Granolaman posted:

I know it's an ARG and it's supposed to be mysterious and stuff, but they better drop some more details before they expect me to actually purchase it.
They had a "beta campaign" prior to starting the crowdfunding, that you can play through here, I imagine the full ARG will be more of the same.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 17, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

I did a Flappy raid last night where the pubbies were arguing about whether or not EA was to blame for all the bugs and lovely ideas/content in TSW.

It was magical.

EA-hate is probably one of the most rabid phenomenons in gaming aside from Valve-love.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

HughGRect posted:

Maybe in 10 years Ragnar will come back to TSW, start the kickstarter campaign now. Isn't that what he did with Dreamfall?

I'd much rather Tornquist stick to single player games rather than MMOs. It's clearly where his strength is.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The monthly director's letter gets straight to the point this time.

quote:

Hi everybody,

Tokyo is coming this week.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I believe before Tornquist went off to do his own thing he wrote up a full story bible for the TSW team with the arc planned out years ahead, so I imagine whatever content comes out for quite some time to come has already been written.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

https://www.shadowrealms.com/blog/game-overview

So yeah, the new Bioware rpg is pretty much Secret World, but with slightly more cookie cutter lore and not an MMO. (Because they're not dumb.)

Except it's being done by SWTOR developers at Bioware Austin, so it'll probably be way more MMO than they admit. They'll also likely give up on those episodic plans just after the game comes out and pretend they never made them.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Edit: Double post, oops.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
MMORPG did a short interview with Bylos about plans for TSW. Nothing huge and earthshattering in there, though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

TGG posted:

The game is populated enough and frankly it's best played as one of the best single player rpgs made in ages. Why did this have to be an mmo!?!, is a question I ask myself frequently while playing.

Because Funcom stopped producing single-player games after Dreamfall had the poo poo pirated out of it and they lost a lot of money on it. It's pretty difficult to pirate an MMO.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

I think that had more to do with Dreamfall than anything else.

And yet it was so horrible that its sequel got over $1 million on Kickstarter.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pesterchum posted:

Subscription gets you 10 dollars towards item shop stuff, 10 veteran points to buy veteran stuff, a thing that gives you 100% more XP from monster kills for an hour a day, an item of the month and a 10% item shop discount. You'll have to pony up the cash for the DLCs, only the first one was free and I think that wasa just for people who owned the game before a certain date.

For the record the subscription credit can be used towards the DLC.

My understanding when they switched to the current model is that the subscription would pay for the DLC in the months it came out, and you can get item shop stuff on the (many) months without any new content.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

So I finally did Halloween 2014. It's uh...not really all that great.

Bummer. I was thinking of loading it up tonight too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

orcane posted:

Both, they accumulate until Funcom decides date X is a cutoff and bonus points will expire then (bought Funcom points never expire). I think they let bonus points expire once so far? Not sure.

I think the cutoff is 6 months from earning them.

• Locked thread