Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rebellion Chat:

So, in the post-credits scene it didn't really look like Kyuubei was sneaking up on Homura and more like he was just stumbling towards her. Her comment about the Incubator staying with her combined with the shaken and ruffled condition he's in looks far more like he has just been her plaything for the last however long.

I guess we'll have to wait until the next continuation before we find out what the actual deal is. The concept of Madoka being separated from the Law of the Cycle implies that the cycle is still occurring just without a conscious willpower behind it. But with all the Incubators seemingly eliminated within Homura's witchdemon barrier (minus the one she is using for abusing), you have to wonder if Magical Girls are still even being created. While the emotional turmoil that breeds witches is still inherent in this iteration of the world, witches themselves were really an artificial being created by the Incubators to harness emotional energy.

Has anyone else picked up on that? What's the point of having a cycle to deal with a group of beings that doesn't actually exist any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Popehoist posted:

No cake song on the OST, no buy

No joke. When I got to that part, I almost turned the loving movie off.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaziken386 posted:

While on the subject of Rebellion, can I say that I particularly enjoyed this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3hJJGwyBc
I went into Rebellion not knowing anything about it in regards to the plot. The beginning was cute, stylishly animated, and set up the basic premise of the world it was taking place in, then this scene popped up to remind everyone that "hey, this is PMMM you're watching, the world only looks cute."

Huh. I've watched the movie 2 - 3 times, and that's the first time I caught the flashes of witch script during Homura's transformation.

And, really. Rebellion is worth it just for redeeming Sayaka. :slick:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ-dnuFItAE

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mordaedil posted:

When a lot of anime fans compare Rebellion to School Days, is when I think anime fans have a really long way to go in terms of undoing their own boxed environment.

This series is at its best when it asks the uncomfortable questions and a lot of people just can't seem to deal and it makes me somewhat jittery.

:crossarms:
Uhhhh...what?

I mean, if you're going to try to compare Rebellion based purely on "genre-shredding shock value OMG!", wouldn't you compare it more to Narutaru?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

I'm pretty sure madoka would work even if it wasn't Japanese animation

The overall story would certainly work, but the asthetics of it would be jarring outside of an anime framework.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

Lol if you watch any anim 16 times

I'm pretty sure I've watched Serial Experiments Lain and Escaflowne 16 times. :v:

Of course, they were the first two non-DBZ anime I ever watched.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 25, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The part in the final battle where Nagisa covers her face, then transforms it into her witch face legitimately creeped me out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cheetah7071 posted:

Sometimes boobs are just boobs, not weapons used by the patriarchy to oppress women.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
- George Carlin

Endorph posted:

can we discuss how much the canaan op owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQ-Rc5B21o

(it's alot)

Pretty sweet, but I wish the plot and side characters didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. In a similar vein, I was always partial to the first OP to Blood+. Too bad the story was so plodding.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Insurrectionist posted:

Ate all the food? I think we know who the REAL villain of Madoka is.

Well, she got her whole loving family killed because she was a little hungry. So, yeah. Absolutely.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

.jpg posted:

I think you've all been very mean to Lord Justice over the past few days. He just wants Madoka to get the same respect any pure and beautiful work of art deserves

In fact, I've been working closely with him to put together the definitive Rebellion masterwork edition, as it was intended to be from the start. I've rendered out a few sample cuts so you can get a feel for what our vision is really about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxukdpAD1Ew

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's over, the thread is over, lock it forever.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Jesus could you imagine talking to this guy at a bar? At work? At school?

It'd be loving insufferable.

That was my first thought. This isn't meant to pile on top of LJ, but people tend to type how they speak. And if his writing style is any indication, I'd probably want to perforate my own eardrums listening to him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Space Flower posted:

I find it hilarious how many people were underwhelmed by UBW coming into it having only seen F/Z.

If I had to recommend a show to someone who enjoyed Madoka, it'd probably be Mawaru Penguindrum. My first thought when I started watching it was that I was watching an anime Mother 3. This only reinforced itself as the show progressed.

Well, Penguindrum was written by the same guy who wrote Utena, so a lot of the same themes pop up. And they can be disturbing. Interestingly enough, while the show was airing, I was doing a capstone research report for my Masters on the incident that Penguindrum is inspired by. Knowing the particulars of the incident and the group responsible made it even more disturbing. (I'm trying not to spoil anything.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 2, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

What the gently caress

Unless you've made it to the flashback episodes (which is the beginning of part 2), you probably wouldn't get that at first glance. And the action sequences get a lot better starting with the river fight.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lestaki posted:

Kamijou is a pretty interesting character because he ends up being Sayaka's kryptonite but everything he does is understandable given his position so it's not as if he's exactly to blame. Indeed, it would detract from the theme that Sayaka was being self-defeating if he was overtly a bad person.

But that wouldn't make much of a jokey joke about superheroes

Comparatively, Hitomi is the worst person in the show. "I know how you feel. I know you've known him longer, but I want him, too. I'll give you 24 hours. After that, he's fair game."
Go gently caress yourself, Hitomi! :argh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sharkopath posted:

Yah theres a bunch of small hints about her still being a witch or at least having a true form as one, that I don't remember because its been a while since I've seen rebellion.

Small hints? She literally summons her witch counterpart and has it grapple with Homura's witch form.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Wait, wait, wait... Okay. Major :psyduck: incoming.

We know that there are at least three instances of Sakaya turning into a witch. We see two during the various timelines before Madoka's wish (and there's presumably many more, as Sakaya never seems to survive until Warpurgisnacht and probably becomes a magical girl in many, if not all timelines). Then, after Madoka's reset, the entire universe plays out again, and Sakaya turns into a witch yet again, only nobody knows because she's immediately whisked away to Madokaland and/or mercy-killed.

So, which Sakaya is it in Rebellion, given how she apparently knew Madoka before being witchnapped, AND remembers her relation to Kyoko from the TV series?

Is she from the original timeline? If Madoka witchnaps witches from all possible timelines everywhere, does this mean there's an infinite army of Sakayas in Madokaland? Do they kinda merge after death into one soup of witchiness? Or is the Rebellion Sakaya the one from the Wraith universe at the very end of the series? We know Mami and Kyoko are from there, and memories from the original timeline kinda leaked into their heads (like Wraith-universe Kyoko suddenly remembering witches and whatnot). Maybe the same happened to Wraith-Sakaya?

It felt a little lazy to me to bring her back like that, but whatevs, it's nice to see the character getting over her utter and complete devastation in the series. Good thing Homura pushed the universe reset button, though.

TL;DR: :psyduck:

I always assumed Madoka imparted to Sayaka a portion of her pre-Godoka-reset memories after she was taken by the Law of the Cycle in the new universe. In the final episode after we see her flare out and they're sitting in the theater watching Kyousuke play, Madoka apologizes to Sayaka for not really being able to save her this time, and Sayaka gives her the "nah, its cool." response.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

You know, it's not even that the explanation is so hosed up. Actually, I think it's pretty cool to make mage killer bullets out of your own ribs. :black101: But the detailed explanation was... well... incredibly stupid. That's what I was so surprised about. It's magebabble, the sillier cousin of technobabble, taken to extremes. I... really don't think it works. It's like trying to appear smart after the fact. Just because you spend a paragraph detailling your magic science, it does not make it NOT incredibly contrived and oh so convenient for just the right moment. It's like playing Magic The Gathering, only the rules are made up afterwards. Someone described it as Calvinball...

In short: while a badass concept, I think it was handled horribly in the anime, and the detailed (light novel?) explanation strikes me as unnecessarily convoluted and contrived. It's not smart. I was going WTF over the entirely unneeded details...
No offense, Lord Justice, I'm pretty sure it's described exactly like that the light novel...

I'm really not squeamish about those sorts of concepts, they tend to fall of the scale and become hilarious again :toot:

Also, Lord Justice, that's a really nice observation about the dialogue! I love how Rider keeps dispensing sage advise while giving zero fucks.

Well, that's one of the problems about watching Fate/Zero as a stand alone. You're going to get WTF explanations for some things that are entirely consistent with the greater Nasuverse. The concept of Origins and Mystical Codes and whatnot is actually more important in the other Type-Moon works. Folding part of it into the Fate franchise was more of a wave to the fans than anything else. It is practically meaningless within the confines of Fate/Zero.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Too many words. Have a video.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ferretts posted:

Here's hoping I can sell this to a friend and pick at the perspective of a girl raised on old Sailor Moon.
I'm thinking of using the Hall Om Mig/Princess Tutu approach with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJMHjaE47c0 (Rebellion Spoilers)

Best Madoka AMVs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnSaBI1U_24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0L7MvlowZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftm953BUQj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aaQIvZdU6U

And a mix of the two best 2011 anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1k5UGUznrc

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ah, right. Better link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAVh8hN-j4

It looks like the original upload has been removed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ferretts posted:

Devil's Game 1.0 is better. 2.0 cut the Madoka/Homura post Wally fight dramatic climax scene. Spoilers or no spoilers, that was the highlight of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61qXcPjs5So

I agree with your point about that scene, but I still think 2.0 is a better video. It syncs a little better and is overall a cleaner cut.

And if anything should make you watch Fate/Zero, its this video. (Does contain spoilers but gives little to no context.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Pretty sure she did.

I love that whole sequence of episodes. It's so wonderfully hosed up. When I watched this show, I was at first slightly intrigued, and thoroughly hooked by the end of episode 3; but the moment that really convinced me was at the end of that one scene, where Sakaya fights the freaky many-armed black and white witch. Kyubey just mentions before that one could theoretically weaken the connection to their remote-controlled bodies to dull their sense of pain. And she does just that while stabbed by the arms, going "ahahaha he was right I don't feel ANYTHING" and rips that witch apart :stare:

Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPSPFNupZw

That's actually one of the scenes that's a helluva lot better in the series than the movies because Madoka's little whimper at the close of the scene is such a great episode ender.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ok, I'll admit it. The Mami jellyfish got a chuckle out of me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Starsnostars posted:

Sayaka really dodged a bullet there.

Sayaka would've been so grateful just being able to call him her "boyfriend" that she would probably take whatever abuse he would dole out with a smile on her face.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You will enjoy the first 30 minutes greatly.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The high point of the movie:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Homura's actions towards the end as well as her true motivations are awesome, make sense and elevate an already incredible movie to a worthy sequel to the series

I mean, as much as there is to love, without that twist it doesn't feel like a story that really needs to be told. Everything returns to status quo (except Homura gets mercy-killed), it's revealed Kyubi knows about Madoka, the end. It already felt a little cheesy how ALL YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTERS ARE HERE, EVEN THE DEAD/ASCENDED ONES, but nevermind that. I hope if there's ever a new series/movie (and there better be, we still know fuckall about wraiths and they went to all that effort to make a continuation even make sense), they don't somehow feel obliged to keep everyone around forever. I very much enjoyed how downright mean and relentless the series could get towards its characters (one of the things I also really enjoyed about Fate/Zero), so I hope they keep that up!

...if there's ever a new series :qq:

It is pretty much guaranteed to happen, even against Urobuchi's wishes. (He didn't even want to make a sequel movie.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Well, if he DOES stay onboard, this would at least guarantee the mean-spiritedness against the characters :haw:

I can't imagine another series without Urobuchi, Shinbo or Kajiura - and that's just the people I immediately recognized from their other works. It's still mind-blowing how good almost every single facet of the original series is. That's what worried me about the Rebellion movie, actually. There just seemed to be no room whatsoever for a proper continuation of the story, and the signs of being caught in the usual "unnecessary sequel" trappings appeared pretty soon. In the end, I think they avoided almost all of that (might be Urobuchi was especially aware of that danger?), but I don't think the same trick will work twice. For another series, I hope they find some other way to provide somewhat of a fresh start to avoid sequel baggage. Hell, they already have convenient universe reset / amnesia all around / a new and yet unknown enemy phenomenon... I think a new cast / general cast-cleanup is in order. (Not that I expect or want GRIMDARK KILL'EM ALL...)

Let me tell you about my important thoughts about the Madoka franchise *foams at mouth*

It was kind of a double-whammy, actually. Not only did Urobuchi not intend to write a sequel movie, when he submitted the first script for Rebellion, it was supposed to end with Madoka being released and taking Homura with her to Magic Girl Valhalla. Shinbo and Kajiura didn't want it to end there, so they told him to add more. When Uro asked what the hell else they wanted because thematically, it wouldn't end right any other way unless Homura becomes Madoka's enemy. So, they told him to go with that, and that's what we got.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jagchosis posted:

I didn't think about the class implications of that lecture (moreso focused on how hosed Sayaka was saying something that self righteous) but yeah this reinforces Sayaka being worst Madoka

Middle class girl lecturing a homeless orphan for stealing to survive

I don't think Magical Girls need to eat. I mean. They never discuss it, but it would be a natural assumption based on everything else about their physiology.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord Justice posted:

It's the Steins;Gate method of shifting World-Lines given Urobuchi's comments on the matter.

From the wiki:

"According to an interview in Otona Anime Vol. 20, translated by symbv, here is what Gen Urobuchi said on more of Homura's power: "The weapon that looks like Homura's shield is actually a sand timer. When the flow of the sand is blocked, time is stopped. And when there is no sand on the upper part of the sand timer and then the timer is reverted, one month's worth of time is turned back. But before that stage is reached, only time stopping is possible. This means the special power of Homura is the ability to manipulate one month's time's worth of sand in the sand timer. As for the time passed and then turned back, since it was not the focus in this work I did not think it through very thoroughly. I think you can say that the world split up and became parallel worlds there.""

I.E, Homura going back in time alters the "Divergence Factor" (this being the number assigned to a World-Line, such as 0.571024α) of the World-Line enough to shift it over into a new one which has different actions and consequences from the one she left. This explains why Kyousuke played the guitar instead of the violin in Loop 3, and why Oktavia's familiars were dancing Hitomis.

They're secret friends.

Kyousuke's playing of a guitar vs. a violin wouldn't change if Homura can only affect the events within her one month's worth of time. The Steins;Gate analogy can probably work, but that's the worst possible example because Homura is not performing any actions (i.e.; sending message back in time) that would effect the worldline up to her start point in each loop. Sure, each loop is a different branch, but they all originate at the same point in time with her waking up in the hospital.

The only time something akin to D-mails occurs is with Madoka's wish because it forced the universe to rewrite itself based on a new set of rules.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord Justice posted:

There's two methods of time travel in Steins;Gate, and Homura is using the latter version in pretty much the exact same way. When Okabe Time Leaps, he's also shifting World-Lines, we just don't get the effect because it's a present action from his perspective, instead of a past action like the D-Mails. You're correct that Kyousuke playing the guitar doesn't make sense; which is why I prefer the Steins;Gate theory because you can end up in World-Lines which have radically different inputs even aside from your own intervention, such as with the Omega Attractor Field and Faris' ending specifically.

Okabe doesn't shift world lines when he time leaps in the sense that nothing prior to his consciousness being overwritten has changed. Of course, divergence changes in the range of 1x10^-7 or so after that fact based purely on his new actions from that point, but time leaping never changed anything prior to the point he leaped to.

Faris' ending occurs because they send another D-mail and there is nothing to say that D-mail necessarily changed anything about Okabe's and Faris' past (e.g., Okabe's childhood w/ Mayuri) on its own. The omega attractor field could easily have been the result of further fuckery by SERN after discovering this new D-mail and altering events to prevent the lab from forming while maintaining D-mail tech knowledge (or some other wack-rear end coincidence). I'm pretty sure the so-called omega field ending wasn't thought out that much when the game was being written, anyway.

In either case, you can't use it as a model of Homura changing events prior to her one month loop because she observes all of her own actions. The reason D-mail changes seem so random is because the current Okabe doesn't observe the changes, he only observes the effects of those changes. They're not comparable situations.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord Justice posted:

This isn't really the thread for it, and I'll just respond one more time and drop it here. If you want to continue the discussion, I'd be happy to do so through PMs.

The shifting of WLs is contingent on information being sent from a future point to a past point. Whether it is a D-Mail or Okabe's consciousness, the effect remains the same. Each Time Leap causes the present Okabe to leap into and destroy a past Okabe which exists separately from that present Okabe in an entirely seperate WL by definition. The act of shifting WLs via the sending of information back in time is in itself self-actualizing an entirely new universe, from birth to death, with different inputs as indicated by the Divergence Factor. If the DF is small, then the new universe is probably almost identical to the one he left, but it is still a new universe.

Considering this, Time Leaping should actually increase the DF by a much greater margin, as it is an active actor being sent back, and not just a simple message. As well, Time Leaping can result in major shifts, such as Okabe managing to shift himself entirely from the Alpha Attractor Field to the Epsilon Attractor Field in Linear Bounded Phenogram.

Essentially, shifting universes can result in different inputs outside of the ones created by the interference of sending information back in time. In Homura's case, she ended up shifting into a universe where there was a different input prior to her waking up in the hospital which resulted in Kyousuke playing the guitar.

Are you talking about Three Contrapasso About The Abduction? Okabe sent two D-mails before Time Leaping in that scenario. He was already in the Epsilon attractor field before he jumped, so your argument about Time Leaping being strong enough to shift world lines like that is still bunk.

• Locked thread