Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I have a Garmin Zumo 320 and it's a horrible, horrible piece of poo poo. The PC side software with which you can make routes is pretty good once you get the hang of it (though if you place waypoints while zoomed out, they don't snap to main roads and you end up putting them in peoples' back yards) but the device itself, man. If you turn it off while following a pre-made route and turn it on again, the 'route' will have turned into straight lines between waypoints, it's sent me off the highway and back on again immediately, it's wanted me to follow maintenance roads instead of the highway itself, and one time it tried to send me off an interstate and onto a dirt road. It also likes to crash or randomly pop up 'destination reached' messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I probably would do but their patterns are boring as poo poo.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-qwest-prestige-helmet

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

hot sauce posted:

I wonder how well that sells. Someone who loves freedom that much probably doesn't want a full face helmet.

I wanted to buy it because I figured that by riding a Buell I'm squarely in the target audience, but they don't sell it here (Europe). I got an even more gaudy USA-themed Suomy instead.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

KARMA! posted:

Jealous, much? :smug:

On the other hand, the roads suck here for motorcycling.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Local motorcycle mag is doing a 50000km test on a 390 and has the results next month.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

as the implication was that one, I had nothing to live for

And you didn't show them your Live To Ride, Ride To Live tattoo?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I've seen one on the motorway once, I've also seen some incredibly loud ones brapping around town.

Not sure what to think of them, on the one hand, get a real bike, on the other hand, quads are probably way more dangerous than any motorcycle.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Oh I've also seen one of those covered BMW motorcycle things on the highway once!!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I think they're just so dorky that only the least-giving-a-fuckest people ever would want to ride one. Maybe they'll become ironically fashionable someday? And it's not like 'normal' scooters (and mopeds) decked out with chromed bits and windshields, which I see here non stop, aren't dorky as hell.

Edit: While you're allowed to ride the BMW C1 without a helmet, you're required to wear its seatbelt. I guess it's kind of safe as you're not liable to be flung off and smash your back on a guardrail, but I still wouldn't feel safe riding it without any gear, like in the promo pics. Make a lowside you're securely strapped in for optimum skin flaying.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 31, 2014

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Today is the second day in a row someone has snapped over without looking and driven me off of the road into the gutter. Yesterday I was lucky to get free when they passed before I hit a mailbox sticking out. The guy didn't even react, and actually lost speed so even my braking was matched and I had nowhere to go.

Today was some lady in a 7 series. Bus stopped in front of her and she just went from slowing behind it and snapping hard into my lane. Both days I had a car in front and in back, and couldn't go anywhere.

Needless to say, I'm still pretty furious, and wish I had broken the side mirror of yesterdays driver. At least the BMW lady gave me a "omg I'm so sorry" wave when I started going to town on her at the next light. Truck from yesterday? Lazy redneck slack jaw retard stare as I passed him on the other side.

How hard is it to just LOOK where you are moving your many ton death machine? HOW HARD?!

Never ride directly next to a car, hang back and then scoot past when there's enough room in front. Even if they're looking you might still be in their blind spot.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Deeters posted:

This is America:

:911:

Wow you've got the Buell branded GPS :worship:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

That really sucks; heard many, many bad experiences from people needing a Harley dealer to do Buell stuff, though apart from being incompetent it seems they were also plain out to screw you over. I hope everything works out with the insurance.

Sagebrush posted:

Your story sounds like it really sucks, so I'm sorry, but I just read this and have to go lol what the gently caress. Who designs a vehicle that way? That's as bad as the cab-forward Mopars where you have to take off the front wheels to remove the battery.

It is ridiculous for sure, but I think people on forums have found out a way to do it without rotating the engine, and iridium plugs probably last long enough that you can replace them together with a valve clearance check. Still, never even having to check the valves is a great feature of the Harley-engined Buells.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Isn't that one of the Buell frames where the fuel tank is the frame and it's aluminum and people buy special sliders for them to protect them because it's disasterous if you drop it?

The Harley engined ones had sliders on there, yeah. It's not really disastrous if it's dented, but how wide the frame is does mean it's very liable to get damaged in a spill, which seems like lovely design to me though I don't know how many other bikes are like that.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
About the parking lot thing, on this one episode of basically Dutch-watered-down-COPS, there's these guys practicing wheelies in the parking lot of a closed Home Depot or w/e, not another soul in sight. Officer takes their licenses all the same because it counts as a public road.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
KTM's letter wishes you 'sporty regards' and has a PS that likens the bike to a high-end kitchen knife, and advises you to be careful if you're only used to lesser specimens.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Verge posted:

As a belt man (harley, XG750 - I insisted to myself that my next bike be belt-driven), I concur. What's ridiculous is they could've easily belted that fucker. If my XG750 can use a belt, that fucker sure as hell can. Also...I like the stealth bomber look...

I love belt drives. I loved the idea of them ever since I learned they exist in riding class. They're so simple and easy. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed cleaning and lubing my chains but it was the requirement to get my garage all kinds of hosed up and dirty/smelly...on a hot day...when I really just wanted to relax... Just like spoked rims, it's a bit much for a commuter. Note: I ride every day to work unless its snowing so that may be a factor.

Yeah all the NC bikes, being cheap commuter vehicles, really should have belts. Also, hydraulic lifters, as they don't rev high anyway.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I hope there's an engine on each side and it steers by modulating the throttles.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Akion posted:

Got a (bad) pic of my baby from the Insurance yard today. gently caress motorcycle thieves. :(

Before:

I've seen poo poo like this a lot, also happened to my neighbor (bike was seen riding around with the rear subframe ground off) and I never get this, why don't they part the bike out or sell it and instead just gently caress it up. Meth?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
As if anything below 1200ccs is a Real Harley.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Marxalot posted:

Wow, they just have it as a measurement of "Your chain should hang this low at this point"? I like that.

My KTM has 'at this specific point on the swing arm, the distance to the chain should be 5mm if you push it up' which is great.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
If you want a cheap reliable v twin you could also look for a Honda VTR.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Speaking of brakes, I sometimes get a loud click from somewhere in my bike's front end, right as the bike settles after hard braking. So I'll accelerate up to a good speed, brake hard, and after the weight shifts forward I hear a single loud CLACK. It doesn't happen every time I decelerate, only after I've gotten up to a good speed; it doesn't even happen every time I decelerate from high speed; and it never happens more than once in a given cycle.

I ask about brakes because I don't think it's the steering -- I don't notice any slop or notchiness in the stem, or other signs that something is wrong. But the sound could be coming from anywhere. What should I be looking at?

Head bearings are easy to check if you jack up the front of the bike. I can confirm some forks make noise too, if I sit on my bike and roll it forward while sharply jabbing the brake I can make it go clunk-clunk-clunk from the forks.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I had no issues at all selling my srx600 and xb12ss, but I guess those bikes attract people who know what they want and what they're getting into.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

And hey, as long as it's been maintained well, anything goes. I know a guy with 120,000 miles (all his, year-round riding, religious maintenance) on a Sportster.

Is that without refreshing the top end? That would really surprise me.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I'm not really knowledgeable on the pre-2012 690s but for the later ones, they only stall at idle when they've got a wrong map. People tend to put maps for bikes with aftermarket cams on bikes that don't have one of those.

clutchpuck posted:

The real Erik approved solution to this is to sell your stupid ddfi2 model and get a ddfi3 with the Ford mustang approved leaky idle air control.

Yeah on my 07 with the race map (tried that for a while instead of the custom map it came with) I had to use ECMSpy to boost 4 cells around the idle region or it would almost stall when cold at idle.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Get this- It stalled today while at a light, clutched pulled, when I just went to increase the throttle. As soon as I started moving the throttle, it stalled. Engine warmed up, and I did the 15min idle reset just 5 hours beforehand. Been riding all afternoon.

Weird, I seem to remember reading lot's of people with my issue, specifically also mentioning getting stuck in front of traffic or intersections, as well. Nothing of it just stalling at idle. That said, you are the KTM/690 expert, and I'm really glad to have your input. That info is kind of a revelation.

I tried to google which connector that was, and it looks like this one? Everything looks ok, just dusty, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. No pinched wires, or frayed connections. Is it this plug?

Nah the ECU connector will be a large connector that goes into the black computer box. In fact I bet it's the white connector to the upper left of your finger, or the black one to the lower left of that.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Apparently the large box is the 'electronic control unit' and the small one is the 'timing charger'.

"One ECU controls the fuelling & ignition and the other controls the throttle valve through semi ride-by-wire. The ECUs interact with each other communicating over a CAN-BUS connection." haha

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yes it all depends on tuning. I see a lot of people riding the newer 690/701 with a Wings (i.e. decat) and one of the provided db killers without issues. I've also seen evidence that swapping in an open airbox lid is fine. However, the engine can't take both. Maybe the newer ones are less finicky than the older generation.

Your bike will use different ways of calculating fueling depending on rpm and throttle position. On the newer LC4s, this is o2 when idling or cruising, MAP at low vacuum and just the tables at high vacuum. These tables are by default lean at low revs and fat at high revs for emissions reasons. So if you add ill researched mods to a bike it'll run lean when you whack open the throttle, just where there's the most risk of detonation.

In any case this is what I've been able to find out, there's a lot of conflicting information out there.

In your case, instead of mapping straight away I would first go back to completely stock. I.e. verify it's got the stock map in there, put the stock pipe on. Take off the melting side panel if necessary. Then go from there.

Also if your bike has some kind of fat 'akra' map in there, that could be why the stock exhaust gets so hot. From what I understand, in general richer mixtures result in cooler exhaust gases, but running too rich makes the cat hotter.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
This is the most reliable source I've been able to find on 690 tuning info, sehr gut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NLhcQJX_q0

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

OVER NINE THOUSAND?! What is wrong with people. It's a dirtbike and it's priced higher than an FZ-09. The 701 could run you 15k out the door. This is highway robbery. People love supermotos, and the only thing stopping more from being sold is marketing.

I've been reading a lot about the 690/701 and given the price, which I still happily paid, it's really irksome how much they penny pinched. The 701 costs $1500 more than an FZ-09. Can't adjust the front preload (same for SD1290) without buying an addon. Can't adjust the rear preload without taking the shock out of the bike, because they used a plastic instead of metal shock collar. Can't turn off rear wheel ABS without a $100 dongle (requires a ~$200 iirc 'track pack' on the 16+ 690 Duke :rolleyes:). Standard hand guards are crap. Standard bash plate on the Enduro is crap. Not really crash proof, pedal will pierce the cases without crash bars or case savers. No ride modes on the 2017 model.

Also apparently the 4CS suspension on the Enduro model sucks.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I know, and I can see how it'd be mind blowing if you had only ever ridden normal bikes with crap suspension and lots of weight.

I've ridden a wr450 sumo and yes it's most excellent, and yes the 690 isn't a 'real' motard. It is, though, the lightest bike you can use day to day if your butt is up to the task. 6000 mile oil changes, actually enough power for the highway. Sure you can ride on the highway on a DRZ but on a 690 you can brap past cars doing 80 like it's nothing. If your butt isn't up to the task, there's always the Duke.

But yes the 690 is somewhere between actual sumos like the sxv and fauxtards like the Hypermotard and Dorsoduro. At least it's got the credibility of being based on an 'enduro' bike.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

121 690s for sale in Sweden right now, 31 Enduros and 56 of them Dukes. Including SM, SMR, SMC and SMC-R.

Cheapest being a 2007 SM for 3600 usd eqv.

Nobody likes the Beakster.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

They are super VW-like in a lot of ways, especially in the way they're built for journalists instead of owners.
That's very well put. And similar to the fading plastics, last year's 690 Duke R had silver stickers and I've seen those start to bubble still in the dealership.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Harley-Davidsons seem to be extremely popular overseas among the people who can afford them, which is almost no one.

Everybody rides Harleys here in Europe, I think they're less common that KTM or Ducati here in the Netherlands. They're top 10 selling bikes in Germany.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Thanks for the help. I'll try to remove the chain guide next time to see if I can tip it to the side. No amount of tipping the wheel would let it clear the caliper the way I was trying, and you can't slide it forward off the guide because the brake line is too short to do so.

Interesting, on my 701 the brake line is just long enough. Getting the wheel out is easy enough, it's getting it back in that's a juggling act.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

pokie posted:

I had a very fun incident the other day. Car stops in front of me with left signal on. "OK, cool, they are gonna turn into the parking lot over yonder." I move to pass them on the right. They turn right. I panic brake. I had to stop for about 5 seconds to reconsider my life choices.

Yeah I've seen a friend crash like that, something to be very careful with.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Keegers posted:

Total ended up being 186. Probably not going to do a break in service on my next bike if it's new.

At least they checked all that stuff, or at least put it on the bill. My first service was for free but they really didn't do anything other than change the oil. My experience at the mega-dealer where I got my bike is that they always overlook stuff, either that needs fixing or when putting stuff back together. Forgetting to hook up my oil temp sensor (it's not there stock), missing a busted o ring on my chain after I ask them to inspect it, swapping short/long bolts, oily finger smudges over stuff, wanting me to pay for stuff that was no extra effort while they were looking into something under warranty (which they didn't manage to fix).

Anyway as for the price, motorcycles are an expensive hobby and having others work on them especially so.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 15, 2018

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Kastivich posted:

Some supermotos have the ability to disable only rear ABS function. KTM 690 has this feature.

If you buy a $100 dongle, while cheaper non-supermoto bikes like the 390 have had this feature built-in for ages :|

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

Ktm Duke 690 vs Duke 790, which would CA go for?

790 is the better bike but I'd go for the 690 as I love that engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I care more about my bike not being hobbled both in performance and driveability (surging etc) than I do about the impact it has on the environment. On this bike the cat meant the exhaust got extremely hot, on the previous one it made changing the oil even more of a pain. Both reasons to get rid of it.

However my next bike I'll probably keep stock as changing such stuff is expensive, there's a lot of misinformation about what does/doesn't work and even though my bike isn't that loud it does still make me a hypocrite as I absolutely hate it when other people make noise.

Elviscat posted:

Does anyone know off-hand how the gently caress the FE-250's 50 state legal? I can't find a cat on it anywhere, is it integrated into the muffler? Did KTM find some sort of bizarre US emissions loophole for small engines?

It could be in the pipe. For some reason 690/701 supermotos have it in the pipe while Duke/Vitpilen with the same engine have a huge cat under the engine.