Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
loving guy in my neighbourhood with some custom orange cruiser and what must be open pipes since it's absurdly loud, sounds like a loving wet fart when he keeps gunning the throttle at stop lights. WE GET IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The faster-looking the bike the crappier the car that tries to race you, in my experience.
Guy in a Ford Fusion dragged me at a light just to beat me to the lane merge a hundred or so metres ahead. Or tried at least: he gunned it and chirped the tires while I proceeded normally laughing my rear end off.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is about people who cannot loving drive.

Here's an intersection I use when I ride to work, the red arrow is just to show North:

I'm coming from the south on Bathurst St. It has 4 lanes, two direction, and an advanced green to turn left on to Adelaide St. Adelaide St. is one way, 4 lanes going East.

Driving by the manual, the people like me heading south and turning onto Adelaide should use their nearest curb lane. The people heading north and turning onto Adelaide should also use their nearest curb lane. If people ACTUALLY did this, a lot of cars could get to where they're going and there would be no problem.

What actually happens is that drivers on both directions try to turn into the nearest middle lane, causing mass confusion as it looks like they're going to hit each other. This holds up both turn lanes and fucks everything up.

JFC learn to loving drive! :mad:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In my own experience, people can't drive, people in SUVs really can't drive, and people in luxury SUVs really can't loving drive. When I see an X5, I know to leave a wide margin especially now that I work right in the financial district.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

thylacine posted:

I disclose everything, it's just a waste of time if you don't.

Me too. Since it's not sold yet, it's really time to put away for the winter. The Spring ad will explicitly state "no trades or parting out"; sorry bro, I don't want your drat drums or to try to take it apart out on the street.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I also have an extreme hate on for 2 line ads that are either all caps and/or retardedly vague. Like, do you want to sell your bike or not? Make a loving effort.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

How the hell do people drive around in the pitch blackness of daylight savings evenings without realizing their headlamps are off? And why they hell don't they think "hey, that motorcyclist waving like crazy and flashing his headlight must be trying to get my attention", instead of just cruising blissfully off into the dark?

DST ends in the autumn.

People drive around here in the dark at all times of the year with their lights off. I don't get it.

And then there are the jagoffs on their raised 4x4s who drive around with their brights and foglights on. Not sure which is worse.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I had no idea what a nootropic was so I had to wiki it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

I don't think I've ever seen so many "citation needed" remarks in a single article before.

:stare:

I have an issue of Mondo 2000 you can read...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Good to see there's a growing consensus about how terrible X5 drivers are! That's the 4th or 5th post so far in this thread alone.

X6, but the idea's the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UwOBKSHl-c

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 29, 2013

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So, HOW BOUT THEM BIKES?!?
How about a rant for the fuckers who say they'll buy your bike and then flake out at the last minute without telling you, forcing you to contact them to see if they're still coming but "Oh, no, I don't think I'll buy your bike now." ?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I'm gonna keep pulling gas out the ground till the shoreline's at Revelstoke.

Why do I have to re-jet for Rogers Pass? It's near the shoreline.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Overheard yesterday on the streetcar: "Yeah, my (bicycle) frame is cool. I like to keep it totally minimal, no fenders, no extra parts. It's totally lightweight. But I can't carry anything on it at all! Or wear a skirt, because it's a man's frame. It sucks!"

loving hipsters.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hermand posted:

I'm massively pro cycle and it's incredibly rare I get annoyed (though I don't live in London), but god drat the red light thing does my fruit in. I just can't fathom the mentality that thinks it's okay.

Same mentality that causes drivers to sail through reds.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It was more in the "rules don't apply to me" mentality than anything else.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love the ABS on my Bandit, so idk.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hot sauce posted:

I don't have kids but have thought about whether I'd give up riding if I do end up having some. I understand you can't just stop living your life, but how do you rationalize the extra risk?

You could be killed by a drink driver on the same roads driving in a car.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
loving cell phone talking red light running cagers. Get out of my neighbourhood. :mad:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of idiot _______ out there! Ban them all!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gently caress taxi drivers, now and forever. Was out on Saturday in the left track of the curb lane, right blinker on, stopped at the stop sign, making sure the lane ahead was clear before I did my turn, and once again some idiot hell fucker taxi driver splits my lane and the bike path to turn in ahead of me. It's bad enough getting stuck behind one downtown where they suddenly change lanes or stop without warning.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The 401 outside Toronto is hell for dipshits doing exactly the limit in the middle lane. People are passing on both sides for fucks sake.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gently caress these stupid Honda cheese-soft carb boot bolts, and gently caress me for not replacing them earlier. I rounded one off last night and of course it's the hardest one to get to. :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

I'm getting less and less jazzed about the idea of sometime in the future to do a motorcylce trip in land of screaming eagles.

Find some rivers & hills or mountains. Go nuts.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gently caress cabbies.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The only way it could've more hipster is if they had a scene with angle grinder sparks that transformed it into a cafe racer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Eat more fibre

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

Idiot in the BMW X5
Redundant, but I'll allow it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HappyHelmet posted:

Well scooters aren't even allowed to ride on highways in Taiwan so the freeways in LA would be empty!

Easy: lower the speed limit to 35 mph.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pretty much. A stock DeLorean is a pretty terrible car.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

So am I out of line when I start freaking out on these people in traffic?

No.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This. And apparently that chronicles show on fox was good too, but I haven't seen it :iiam:

The show was pretty good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Basically someone needs to stop me before I do something really loving stupid like lock the money away in a savings account.

It would be dumb to put that much into a savings account anyway; invest that poo poo.

in biek

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 10, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PhoenixWing posted:

Was coming home for lunch today, and passed the same construction site I do everyday right next to my home. One of their work trucks was waiting to turn left across my lane. Two lanes in both directions, and a big centre divider in the middle. He's looking right at the two approaching cars coming from the other side, and doesnt see me, so, I start slowing down figuring he's going to pull out on me. The two cars pass, and he looks back to the left, and I swear he looks right at me (I'm ~100ft at this point) and pauses, so, I start to speed up again. And then he pulls right out in front of me, gets half way, and panic stops as he sees me (I think his buddy in the passenger seat freaked out, saw waving as he pulled out) blocking both lanes. I've been riding for 4 months now and have never been so happy that I practiced panic braking on this bike. Managed to stop with about 10 feet to spare.

Still pretty disappointed in myself that I didn't choose to dive to the opposing lanes or the exit, but, I panicked and just went into pants making GBS threads brake mode :( How the gently caress do people not see me? I'm on a bright blue bike in shiny reflective gear in the middle of the day, I should be visible from space.

When he looked over, you should've flashed your headlight or given a wave or something, since at that point you were expecting him to go, and you had already slowed down expecting him to go.

For example, if I'm coming to an intersection and the light's gone yellow and I'm slowing to stop, if there's someone coming toward be wanting to turn left and they're already in position, I'll flash my headlight to tell them to go, since they can't tell if I'm going to try to blast through or not.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I have comprehensive with a 500 deductible through progressive. On a 2001 klr250, I can't imagine they will think its worth anything much over that. I just got done with the insurance claim and police report. What a horrible thing to wake up to.

People who steal bikes and cars should be shot. At least those guys have a perfectly tuned klr, now.

Thanks for the support.

That's why they shot horse thieves :clint:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Best (or worst, however you want to look at it) thing I ever saw was up north, on a 2 lane road, double yellows, with a bicycle lane. Guy in front of me crosses over the DY to avoid a bicyclist square in the middle of their separated lane.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
loving dealer didn't order my mirror last week so now I gotta wait another 3 or 4 days for it to loving come on. gently caress.

At least it'll give me time to put on the new grips and let the glue dry.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Also saw this choice nugget:
(Florida can't pass)

poo poo this ain't no No Driver Left Behind poo poo is it?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Both bikes I've only used certified cheques, neither I or the seller thought twice about it. My bank said a bank draft would be cheaper, but w/e. But that's big city livin' for ya.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Same in Ontario. Perforated sheet with the title and deets.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Dear Greater Toronto Area riders (squids):

If you have ever wondered why your (and by extension, my) insurance rates are so high and you keep getting run over and killed and such, it is because you ride like a bunch of loving IDIOTS.

Oh and those microdot led flush mount signals you've got tucked up behind your rear tire next to your chain surrounded license plate-cum-fender? The ones that flicker like a strobe because you didn't bother with installing the appropriate resistor? Why even loving bother.

I was riding back from my friends' wedding in Niagara Falls a few years ago and a guy & a girl on their litrebikes were swerving in & out of traffic on the QEW, both in shorts & tank tops. Made me just shake my head and lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Montana and Wyoming now devoid of fish, fowl, fruit, vegetables, and mammals other than cattle.

I must monetize this.

...and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.