Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Fat Samurai posted:

Just been introduced to a group of wargamers, and have been invited to/threatened with a game of OCS.

What am I getting into?

You are getting into the absolutely greatest WW2 operational system! Also a really extensively developed and tight ruleset.

The thing about OCS is that it can be quite hard to play at first. Not because the the rules are complicated, because they aren't, but because they give you so much freedom that it can be hard to figure out what you actually want to do. Having experienced players around you should help a lot here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Quad posted:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1563/rise-and-decline-of-the-third-reich

Found this at a Half-Price Books for $20, looks like everything's there.
Never done a wargame before, but I might eventually convince a few friends to come over and sperg out with me; is this a good one to start with? Looks like it won a bunch of awards or whatever.

Third Reich is pretty terrible. It has quite complicated rules, it's not historically accurate in any way and to play it well you need to calculate combat factors so much that it's not very much fun either.

I guess it was a classic back when it first came out but it's badly outdated by now and not worth playing imo.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Tekopo posted:

What exactly are the issues with 3R? Are they still present in WaW? How does it compare with World in Flames (which I hate)?

My biggest issue with it is that the basic combat system. Without going into too much detail, the ground combat is almost completely unhistorical and often feels pretty abstract. For example, the normal setup for Poland(and pretty much every minor country) is to stack as many units as possible in the capital and then place the rest of the units in a ring around it. Soviet Union defending against Barbarossa needs to have a defense of units three hexes deep across the entire front, because the Germans can penetrate two defensive lines and still advance deep into your rear, but the third unit prevents them from having any breakthroughs.

In addition to this, there are a lot of other annoyances - the strategic combat system produces nothing like historical results, naval combat is way too complicated for its own good and the economy requires a lot of bookkeeping. The political rules can lead into some pretty weird situations and paratroopers can be way too strong strategically(if the Germany doesn't have enough troops in Berlin, the allies can straight up win the war by paradropping there, even if they don't have any other troops on the continent).

The only other strategic game that I've played is Totaler Krieg so I have no idea how the old edition compares to the newer versions or WiF.

Note that I'm not saying anything about Third Reich as a competitive game and I know that there are actually people that like it, it's just not enjoyable for me because it fails so badly as a simulation of WW2. Also it's been over a decade since I actually played the game so I probably misremember some things.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I bought Unconditional Surrender and spent some time today playing the Barbarossa scenario. It's a very interesting game, I like the relative simplicity of the rules and I love combat where I don't need to count combat factors to maximize my odds. I'm bit worried that the large unit scale might lead to gamey moves but so far there's been nothing too weird. The turns are also taking me surprisingly long time considering how little units there are, but I guess you do need to think every move pretty carefully. Overall I like it and I do want to play the full campaign eventually, but at the same time I think I still like Totaler Krieg AE more.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Man that reminds me, I should really get at least one Russian Civil War game, which one is the best?

I don't know about best since it's the only Russian Civil War game that I've played, but I like Reds! from GMT. Designed by Ted Raicer, strategic scale, one map, not a lot of counters. The basic system is very simple but there's lot of chrome with special units, leaders and political rules. Despite that it's easy to learn and fast to play. No idea how out of print and impossible to find it is nowadays.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Oldstench posted:

I really like the M&P series.

I bought Nothing Gained But Glory a while ago from a GMT sale and I like the system, but it gets bit annoying to play when all your units have 4 different status counters on them.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Trynant posted:

Guderian's Blitzkrieg II's board game geek profile says it has a 75 hour playtime. That's one of my games trying to hit (and stay on) the table. Except I don't think my table will fit it. The map at full is 8'5" by 11'9".

True men combine it with Case Blue: (image stolen from BGG)

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

I'm glad that you enjoyed TK, it's a great game. Looking at your pictures, it looks like you missed one rule though. Defenders in a city can convert retreats into step losses, unless there's a Blitz marker in the same hex. For example, unless you had a Blitz marker in Warsaw, the defending unit would rather take one step loss and keep the city than retreat out of it.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Also got some Paypal money so I just put in an order for Fields of Fire. Since, you know, I enjoy banging my head against a wall over understanding rules. It just looks like such a good game engine :(

It might be - we'll just never know because the rules are undecipherable to mere mortals

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So seeing as "A World at War" is at a pretty good reduced price, is it worth the buy even considering I might only be able to ever get solo games going? Also, do they have any Scenario Packs that bundle several together?

All I know about AWaW is that it's Third Reich derivative so I'm guessing that it's bad, just buy Totaler Krieg(or Unconditional Surrender) instead.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

T-Bone posted:

OCS in general looks like a fun system to read endlessly about and never play. Logistics :love:

OCS is actually fun to play too. The rules are surprisingly simple, it's just that there's million things that you could be doing with your army and figuring out which ones make sense is kinda hard at first.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

A couple of posts in the Grognard Games thread made me wonder. Are there any wargames about WWI? Trench warfare doesn't seem a good setting to base a game on.

Well, there's this little thing called Paths of Glory, arguably the most popular wargame published in the past 20 years or so

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

I defy anyone to come up with a more counterintuitive and ugly website than Consimworld's forums.

What, it's a bunch of megathreads divided into subforums. Compared to BGG where I can't even find the wargaming forums most of the time it's the easiest site in the world.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Gah, MMP shipping prices to Europe are absolutely horrendous. So, obviously I did the responsible thing and ordered a poo poo load of games at once so that the shipping price per game is much lower.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
My last straw with FoF was when I had finished my first mission but then I just could not figure out how the replacement system worked because the rule was so badly written. Maybe one day I will try again.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Same here. I no longer know what's real and what passes for ASL humor.

"ASL is not a difficult game, a normal person who studies the manual can learn it in a month or two" - a completely serious post that I once saw on CSW

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Finally, a game that makes FoF look simple and straightforward.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Foehammer posted:

Are any of these Slitherine titles worth the sale price? http://store.steampowered.com/sale/slitherine_midweek

I need to push digital counters around.

Battle of the Bulge is literally a computerized board game, it's easy to learn and really well designed. Slitherine kinda ruined the ios version but it should be ok on pc.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I like FtP exactly because you don't need to think about manipulating your deck, that has always felt bit too gamey for me. FtP games also tend to look bit more historical than something like PoG.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
For the price of one mounted map set you could get a sheet of plexiglass that works with every single map.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 18, 2016

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
As a non-american, I only ever heard of Schilling as the ASL guy so it was always funny when I saw him mentioned in other contexts. Throws balls for living, huh.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

including cool poo poo like VG's [...] Hell's Highway

This is still a good game if you can stand VG graphic design! I also have a copy, played a part of the campaign few years ago and had great time.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Out of curiosity anyone played Avalon Hill's old 1776?

I have a copy, yeah. It's quite good for such an old game. Not super historical, but close enough. Plays quickly, rules are fairly simple compared to modern games. Combat resolution uses cards which feels highly innovative for a seventies game. One of the prettiest maps that I've still seen, too.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Trynant posted:

Next War: India-Pakistan

Great post, thanks. I was thinking about picking up Taiwan but I saw too many reviews that said that the advanced rules are bit of a mess and I'm getting tired of dealing with bad rulebooks.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Oh my god, Lone Canuck's St. Nazaire: Operation Chariot module has an enormous HMS Campbeltown counter, I NEED THIS

Oh no my Campbeltown counter is broken

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Tekopo posted:

My collection is now Tunisia II, Sicily II and Reluctant Enemies. I think I'm pretty happy with just having the small(er) game OCS rather than going for the big ones. I'm more interested in Med in comparison to East/West front anyway.

Just so that you know, OCS Korea is also pretty small! I mean, yeah the full campaign has three maps but there's plenty of good one and two map scenarios, and the counter density is quite low generally. As an added bonus it's not even out of print.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I recommend finding a local workshop(or something) that does framing and asking them, I got a really cheap custom size plexiglass sheet that way.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
My first thought was that they show admirable restraint by not having any swastika flags.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

anti_strunt posted:

The idea of a big wargame being in print seemed so outrageous I never checked! This'll be the first time I actually buy one first hand...

Hexasim actually reprints their stuff whenever they run out. Amazing, isn't it.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Last Blitzkrieg is a cool game but it's a pain in the rear end to play since everything has a step loss counter. And also there's the giant pile of status counters on every HQ.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Vassal makes this 1000% easier to deal with, of course. The vassal module for LB is quite good.

The module is really good but I just prefer playing with real board and counters. Then again my table is not big enough for the campaign anyway so maybe I should get used to Vassal.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I've been trying to learn TCS. It is surprisingly hard. The LOS rules are possibly the craziest thing I've ever seen in a game.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 17, 2016

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

al-azad posted:

What are the friendly factors for solo?

Lack of hidden information mostly.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Oh hell yeah. Finally got a copy of Ambush! (partially punched).

Also got scans of all the Ambush series of games from an extremely shady site in Australia for $5.

But can you recreate the original event card sleeve from a scan? That's some classic 80's copy protection, although unintentionally.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

T-Bone posted:

Is there any particular reason to go for Guderian's Bltizkrieg II or Blitzkrieg Legend outside of a preferring one conflict to the other? I have RE and Tunisia II OCS wise.

GB2 is an insanely huge game while even the full campaign in Blitzkrieg Legend is "only" 2 and a half maps and 13 turns long.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah FoF doesn't look that bad in theory, but in practice you just constantly run into situations where you have no idea how the rules are supposed to work and the rulebook is a loving worthless piece of trash

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

T-Bone posted:

Speaking of Raicer has anyone played The Dark Valley?

Yeah and I think it's okay! Not a bad game but not one of my favourites either.

I like the scale, you get a nice detailed east front experience but it's not really a monster game either. The rules have lots of those Raicerian exceptions, and what drives me mad is that there are a lot of rules that say "this applies from turns X to Y". There really should be a play aid that lists all those magic turns.

When it comes to playing the game, it's really easy to decisively gently caress up the Barbarossa as germans. I takes quite a lot of planning to get anywhere near historical results. First few turns you will be killing ridiculous amounts of russians either way, but as the winter gets closer everything gets just a little harder every turn. Feels quite historical.

Probably my favourite part is how the Red Army and it's evolution is handled. They start with tons of weak infantry divisions and a handful of powerful but fragile mech corps. Over the time, the mech corps are all removed and you get better tank corps instead. Infantry gets consolidated into bigger units and guards start appearing. In the last years, you will be steamrolling with massive guards tank armies supported by powerful artillery units and airforce. Really cool and simple system.

So yeah The Dark Valley is not bad, but for an east front game of similar scale I'd still recommend Victory Roads instead, it's just more fun and interesting. Only covers the last year, though.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I read through the (1st ed) helicopter rules once and decided right there that I'd never touch the Vietnam scenarios.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Assigning 'Shift Fire' to a flare always felt incredibly silly anyway.

e: it's still possible!

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
My only problem with the BCS Bulge game is that it's too big, but meanwhile BbF looks too small to be interesting. Oh Goldilocks, when will I find the wargame that is just right?