Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried running Blades in the Dark yet? How did you find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it just me or does Blades in the Dark seem like the perfect candidate for a Shadowrun hack? Has anyone made any noise about doing this yet?

One of the unlocked stretch goals:

Null Vector: Four artificial intelligences secretly rule the world. You and your crew of cyber-augmented outcasts are some of the only people who know the truth. Will you oppose the invisible masters? Will you join one of the AIs, to bring its vision for humanity to life? What will you do to change the world? Null Vector is a complete reskin of the game for cyberpunk thriller action in the vein of Ghost in the Shell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fenarisk posted:

I'm really, really liking blades in the dark as a system, but I can't wrap my head around how abysmal and failure prone characters are out of the box and the first few levels (especially since advancement seems pretty slow).

1. This has already been covered, but characters start with 8 action dots total: 2 from their playbook and 6 they assign as they desire.

2. How to Use the System on page 16 (and generally establishing the Scope of your Actions and Effects) talks about setting how highly escalated the game should be and how you can adjust to taste. The result of the Action roll determines whether or not "the danger manifests", but what that danger actually does to the player is up to your game's tone.

3. The Stress and Trauma mechanics generally create an expectation that characters are going to peter out eventually. They are criminals, after all, and sometimes you're an Al Capone, sometimes you're Clyde Chestnut Barrow. But again, keep in mind that nothing in the Action roll outcomes obliges you to add Stress to a character, even on a Desperate move's Bad Outcome, so how quickly they accumulate Stress is still up to you even if they keep failing.

4. The book is going to include rules for immediate high-level play

That said, Blades has been funded (and how), so I'll continue this off-thread if I need to

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Have they said what the first game is going to be? It seems like something like this would really step on the toes of something like, say, the Pathfinder Beginner Box

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

I admit to knowing very little about fifth edition. I tried going to the chatty thread where people are allowed to bag on it, but it had been moved to BYOB or something and then it got closed.

I'm not interested enough to bother reading the thousands and thousands of posts in the TG D&D Next thread. So, I'm just assuming that it's regressive and cocked up and bad.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > D&D NEXT: it's regressive and cocked up and bad

Yes. Yes it is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

...can we get an official "poo poo on D&D next" thread? Because like I said, the one that used to exist is gone now.

That is the poo poo on D&D Next thread. Ettin had to make an entirely separate thread supposedly for discussion on actually playing the thing because the original thread kept getting derailed by people whining about TG not being kind enough to Next.

And believe you me Next is poo poo enough of its own accord, edition warring not included.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

It's for third edition. Which is using a completely new system, which, from the backer preview I have around here somewhere, is loving incomprehensible.

My first thought was "oh man I can't wait for the System Mastery guys to get a hold of this!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
No wonder people were talking about "Dangerous Delves" and I had no idea what the hell that was.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peas and Rice posted:

I genuinely do not understand why someone would ever do that. It's a matter of professional pride and work ethic. If you're going to be late, flag it early and fill in why, then bust your rear end to finish. It's not. That. Hard.
Managing deadlines and communicating progress properly to your stakeholders is a learned skill. I know it took me more than a year, even, to get to a point in my professional life where I was properly doing both.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

A kickstarter for a new edition of Blue Rose just launched. It's using the AGE system from Dragon Age and Titansgrave, which admitted I don't know anything about.

I'm basing this off of the Dragon Age RPG. It's a 3d6 based system (not d20 as I've heard repeated a couple of times):

* You roll 3d6 in order for your 8 ability scores, with one swap, but it's not as bad as D&D since the average is much lower: 6-8 is a 0 modifier and you get a +1 modifier as soon as 9-11, and you can increase an ability score with every level-up

* Basic task resolution is roll 3d6 + ability modifier + 2 if you have a skill for it, trying to hit or beat a Target Number. An "Easy" task has a target number of 9, an Average needs 11, Challenging needs 13, Hard needs 15 and so on, up to an Impossible task of 21.

* Basic combat resolution is the same: roll 3d6 + ability modifier + combat skill to hit or beat the target's Defense.

* Spellcasting is based on Spell Points and rolling 3d6 + Magic + Magic skill against a spell's target number. Higher-level spells cost more Points and have a higher target number. That said, the spell selection is not at all like D&D-Magic-Does-Everything, and a more CRPG-ish mix of direct damage, ally buffs, enemy debuffs, and healing, and there's only 4 pages of spells.

* One gimmick of the system is Stunts and a Dragon Die: when you roll a 3d6 in combat, one of those dice must be of a different color, which is a Dragon Die. If any two of the dice in the 3d6 roll are the same (doubles), then you get to perform a Stunt or Stunts.

* A Stunt is defined by the game. Rapid Reload means you get to instant reload your ranged weapon and costs 1 Stunt Point. Disarm means you knock away the enemy's weapon up to 1d6+STR yards away and costs 2 Stunt Points. Seize the Initiative moves you to the top of the Initiative Order and costs 4 Stunt Points. As classes gain in levels, they gain access to new Stunts and other Stunts become cheaper, etc.

* The Dragon Dice then determines how many Stunt Points you've earned for that one action, so if your first die is a 3, your second die is a 6 and your third die (which is a Dragon Die) is a 6, then you can do 6 Stunt Points worth of Stunts. Knock the enemy prone, inflict an extra 1d6 damage and pierce the enemy's armor on top of your normal attack, in a single action.

* Since you do roll 3d6 to cast spells, the Stunt+Dragon Dice system also applies to spellcasting: you can increase the potency of the spell, or reduce its mana cost, or cast it so fast that you get another cast in, etc.

I've never run it, but it reads very well from a design perspective.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I gave a quick overview of the Dragon Age RPG's basic mechanics a little bit up the page.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fenarisk posted:

I'm shocked someone brought up blades in the dark because in a few months Harper has releases three play test documents that look good as hell, and is actively updating the kickstarted page and having conversations with fans and backers on G+ every drat day.

It was brought up in a generally positive light, but also because BITD has undergone some significant revamps, which can set off some alarms as far as the possibility of the game losing its focus.

I agree that it's nowhere near Far West/Exalted.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Fred Hicks posted an interesting article about the possibility of a kickstarter in 2016 to pay for printing physical copies of stuff that's currently available digital-only, including upcoming things like Pilgrims of the Flying Temple and the Majestic-12 book for Atomic Robo. Fred raises interesting points about his worry of of "double-dipping" the fanbase and how it'd be kickstarting something that was technically already kickstarted and completed.

This sounds like the sort of thing GMT Games' P500 already does, just that you'd do it through Kickstarter if you're not GMT Games and can't/don't want to set up that sort of infrastructure separately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Delta Green AND a Delta Green GUMSHOE hack? Count me in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you're joining a Call of Cthulhu game, you've got to expect that you're going to run into Mythos monsters, but isn't there an element of "you know what you're getting into but you play along anyway" similar to when you watch, or even rewatch, a horror movie? You already know what's going to happen, at least in broad strokes, but you let yourself be scared regardless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

Hey everyone, I'm helping Arc Dream promote the Delta Green Kickstarter, so if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask me. I can either answer them or get them answered by one of the writers. I also want to post a new PDF that breaks down the rewards for every pledge level: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7001919/Matrix.pdf

There doesn't seem to be a difference between Rising Threats, Every Single PDF and Every Single New PDF?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's not a weed box. It's obviously a coke stash - what do you think the mirror is for?

:vince: that makes too much sense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The RPPR AP sold me on Delta Green. It felt like a nice, streamlined system, and the demo rules that've been released reads well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

Inheritance? Nice!

We're going to post some more Delta Green APs this month. Caleb is running some original material of his own as well.

Yup, Inheritance. What stood out to me was:

- "Library use" no longer needs to be rolled for.
- most other skills don't need to be rolled for if you're not under stress, as long as you have the skill
- persuasion requires some form of leverage over the target
- guns and weapons are more differentiated in terms of how much damage they deal
- character creation is quicker with professions carrying sets of skills

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone currently funding? Because I'm in for $140 for Delta Green so I can get one for me and one for a friend, and I'm playing with backing Infinity and/or Rippers, but I like to buy physical, so I don't know if I'll do either, or cave and buy PDFs.

I'm backing Delta Green and Fellowship right now. I want to back Masks too but I'm not super into the genre and it's in competition with upping my pledge to get The Fall of Delta Green GUMSHOE hack.

Because calling down napalm on a shoggoth somewhere in Laos.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thorsilver posted:

How do I actually even do this anymore? Like many people I don't have money coming out of my arse and had to wait for some cash, and now it seems like all the 'All PDFs' tiers are gone, even though we're talking digital products and that doesn't even make any sense. Do I have to back at 'Rising Threats' and then use add-ons for The Fall of Delta Green and to upgrade to the Case Officer's Handbook?

I'm tempted to just throw up my hands and back at the basic level and just get that stuff instead, but if there's an easy way to just get everything in PDF that's not extortionate I'd do it. Although if it's barely less expensive than the Agent's Hardback + PDFs I'd probably do that instead I guess. Or maybe not, because then I wouldn't have the Case Officer's Handbook unless I added more money, and I'd still have to add The Fall into it as well. I'm confusing myself even more now :v:

I'm a big fan of the Cthulhu Wars approach of just one main tier at $150 to get all the stuff. This piecemeal stuff makes me feel like I'm always missing something, or conversely getting some poo poo I don't want along with the poo poo I do because the tiers are weird, or something, and I've got to check charts and read FAQs and check international shipping costs and uggghhh.

It's my understanding that limiting the number of a tier like "all the PDFs" is justified in the form of "it's cheaper if you want to get everything, but you have to jump in right now, and 'everything' is still dependent on what actually gets funded"

Ideally they'd (and a general they, not just DG specifically) have a second "all the PDFs" tier with unlimited slots that's more expensive, just for convenience's sake.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Foglet posted:

I didn't see Headspace RPG dropped here, so there we go.

I'm getting a CTRL ALT DEL vibe from the art in that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The small fiction vignettes in the demo rules were disturbing enough to sell me on the concept, besides the setting pitch of "if the Cthulhu Mythos is real, of loving course the US government is going to have an agency that's going to fight it (and lose badly)" sounding like a winner even before I ran into the kickstarter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kenlon posted:

(Also I would totally back Delta Green if I could figure out what level gets me physical copies of both the Case Officer's Handbook and Fall of Delta Green without paying for a bunch of other poo poo.)

That's probably the $50 Agent's Hardback tier, then you just increase your pledge to cover the physical Case Officer's Handbook and the physical Fall of Delta Green as add-ons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That makes sense considering J Robert Schwalb was also part of WHFRP2e. I seem to recall his earlier ASOIAF RPG being good as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kevin Crawford should make his next Kickstarter project Kowboys and Kensai, an OSR remake of Boot Hill combined with his Red Tide campaign setting for Scarlet Heroes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Woke up this morning to read an insane screed of an update from Goodman Games basically calling 4th Edition D&D the devil, a massive failure, and revealing that he's secretly put art in the DCC books of cultists burning D&D 4th edition sourcebooks.

What a loving weirdo.

:catstare: It took ages for the Old D&D thread to get over the Gygax-fellating intro to DCC, and now this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's not so much that it's specifically 4e that he's ragging on so much as he's letting something like that leak into the game's art direction and his Kickstarter updates.

Like, come on dude, save it for your blog.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW I would be saying the same thing if he said he wanted to burn Pathfinder books or that FATE had cast a long shadow over the industry or made up facts about Dungeon World failing spectacularly. Kickstarter updates should keep me enthusiastic about the project, not make me think "this guy sounds like that loving jerkass at the gaming store that I don't like."

Yeah exactly. The guy could be talking about BloodPOUCH or whatever and it'd still be off-putting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cyphoderus posted:

The problem is that the connotation of book-burning is extremely unequivocal. The guy talks about burning 4E books, no armchair diagnosis needs to be done, it is already a pretty loving clear statement.

This also calls to mind the incident where 4e books were literally subjected to a book burning.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Sure, but are you telling me this isn't the response Goodman was hoping for when he posted his little essay? Because the fact that the backer comments lean overwhelmingly towards a mixture of "this isn't edition warring it's just telling it like it is" and "haha yeah I bet 4E burns real good" makes me think that this is working as intended. And it's part of what put me off my pledge, this look into DCC's fan base. If someone invites me to play some DCC promising me that it'll be fun and rad and chill and I let it slip that I like 4E, am I gonna get treated to a rant about how Warlords can't melt steel beams by shouting at them? Because it kind of seems that way now.

That was probably his objective - that it's actually a piece of marketing for him to go off on 4e like that and develop some sort of OSR cred.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thefakenews posted:

Technically it was the name of a line of old school style modules for, I think, 3.5 before the RPG was contemplated. So they were just taking advantage of a brand they had already established.

Yup. Goodman Games produced a line of 3.5e modules that were in the vein of old-school dungeon crawls with a more "gonzo" theme and feel than the "serious fantasy" that the genre was in by the early 00s.

Not that I'm making excuses or anything, but that's probably why 4e is more, I guess, personal? for them. Like Paizo, they were churning out quite a bit of third-party 3.5e material, and then 4e comes along and it's a much more restrictive license and they didn't make Pathfinder so welp. They did try their hand at producing material for 4e, but I don't know how successful they were at it.

In a way, DCC was their attempt at making their own not-D&D that they can keep publishing modules for.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mycot posted:

This forum makes 9/11 Steel Beams/Merica jokes all the time so maybe?

People here, yes.

The people he knew was going to approve of 4e book burning, though?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It took the Older D&D/Retroclone thread forever to get over DCC's groggy intro text because it set off all sorts of red flags about what kind of game DCC was supposed to be, and when your company is stuff like Lamentations of the Flame Princess, that sort of first impression tends to last.

Yeah, DCC turned out to be one of the more innovative retroclones once people actually sat down and read/played the thing, but KS update just sort of validates that first impression that the designer has strong opinions about games that he really wants you to know about, so I can't blame anyone for at least feeling conflicted.

Personally, I already own DCC from a charity bundle going to the RAINN foundation, so there's that, I guess.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

He can hate 4th ed, I don't mind as long as I don't have to listen too long. I hate a lot of popular stuff too.

That's sort of the point, though. He can hate 4e all he wants, but as far as I'm concerned having to listen to it at all is already too long, because there's no reason for me to have to hear about how he feels towards 4e because there is like zero link between it and DCC.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Has anybody bothered to look at the book burning picture? It's a fingernail sized guy in a two page ( one page in the original book ) spread.

Keep in mind that it was only that small and insignificant because the artist couldn't make it work the way he originally wanted, and that we wouldn't ever have known if he hadn't decided to tell us.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Sandy Petersen is currently the World's Happiest Mormon.

He did an AMA the other day and the man's body of work is so large. He's been everywhere in pioneering games both digital and otherwise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

It's going to be on a tombstone. I might credit myself as "Joseph Goodman's Goodwill"

Here lies
andy

peperony and chease

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

I think if I had seen the backer survey for DCC 4th in advance, I would have gone back to the "do not back" side of the fence.

Why? Please don't tell me he paid reverence to Gygax, etc. in it, too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mojo Jojo posted:

The theme is stupid, but it sounds like it might be interesting.

It's basically the Resistance/Werewolf with a new coat of paint, so the theme is all that counts, and IMO it's appropriate in the context of the liberals historically handing power over to the far-right whenever the left is gathering strength, but then they're playing chicken with putting a totalitarian madman in office.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bunnielab posted:

I mentioned the idea of getting back into rpgs to some friends of mine and a bunch of them were into it. I read a bit of the pdf they sent out last night and it does seem like what I was looking for. Sadly we are still stuck with the "no one wants to DM" issue that seemed to always kill the lets play a game interest. I assume I am going to have to step up, although someone did jokingly suggest we put a "DM Wanted: Will pay" add up on craigslist.

The thing about a rules-comprehensive game combined with an adventure module is that it can remove a lot of the pressure of being a DM: the plot is already written for you, the encounters and mechanics are already written for you, you just have to interpret them.

Especially when you combine it with a pre-game discussion with your group that that's the sort of thing you're doing so that they'll understand if there are some things you're going to gate off for the sake of not having to make up something that's too far afield from what you're "refereeing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Otisburg posted:

Is there something "edgy" about this I'm missing aside from having Hitler the name? I'm assuming there's no "enact literal death camps lol" policy in the game? "Secret Hitler" is catchy and seems to sum up the theme in a snappier way than "Bluffing Power-Hungry Totalitarian Chancellor Parliamentary Procedure Game." :shrug:

I for one thought it was entirely appropriate, but it does arguably require you to be somewhat familiar with the dynamic of Liberals throwing the keys of government to the Fascists once the Leftists come a'knockin'

• Locked thread