Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Well the fact that the guy using the horn was (a) an impatient jackass and (b) could see that the person ahead was hauling a trailer and still decided to be an rear end in a top hat is why I quoted you. Whether or not you realize it, you come off as defending a whiny rear end in a top hat who was being more dangerous than a guy who decided to slow down a few mph.

Boy I guess I really misinterpreted your post because I thought you were calling the OP the dangerous rear end in a top hat by intentionally escalating the situation trying to piss the guy off, then spread the derision evenly by reinforcing that tailgaters are also idiots. Obviously the guy who beeped immediately and tailgated is a dick, but so is the guy going 25mph under the speed limit when he doesn't need to just to piss off one guy and presumably every single person behind that guy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Living around D.C., technically he's a person I share the road with. Haven't seen him in a few years but he still had the mini last time I did.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

There's a lot of "what" responses but this was in response to the "light cycling in my car" comment, and just in case it's not sarcastic and you're from a rural area or something, many street lights use weight sensors at the first position but you have to weigh several hundred pounds to trigger it, so a bicycle would just sit there forever.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

No license plate = Free Bike!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

wolrah posted:

I was just talking about these kinds of people on a neighborhood forum and dug up this video as an example for a few who didn't understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ84EMxXzXc

All I can think is they're transporting an almost-full aquarium in the back. Although I can't imagine why.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Devor posted:

I like the people who swing wide when making a turn, like their sedan is some massive tractor-trailer that couldn't possibly make that 15-foot curb return without oversteering to the left in order to turn right.

Hey we're all just trying to hit the apex and power out!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

um excuse me posted:

Like the DMV needs more responsibility.

Tell your state to get its' poo poo together I guess. The MVA near me works pretty efficiently. One thing the employees don't do is get innocent people murdered so in terms of government efficiency I'll take that over "I trust the citizens to do what's best for everyone."

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

I can only imagine Bob and Albert around the dinner table when they were teenagers. Probably had their parents gasping for breath from the laughter.

I wonder if he was a funny teenager. I read he really didn't want anything to do with comedy since a bunch of comedians spoke at his father's funeral. He made some appearance on a local tv station as a favor for a friend and one of the Smothers brothers saw it and picked him up and then he knew he wanted to do comedy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jamal posted:

Probably still better than the current situation?

I think having a bunch of self-driving cars would certainly result in fewer accidents and better traffic flow for that 90% of good-enough driving conditions. But then what you're doing with those inexperienced drivers is cramming way MORE accidents into the days with inclement weather. So it might be a net benefit, but the bad days will get so bad that you'll just start seeing the government and businesses shut down when the weatherman predicts fog in the morning. So hey, it might result in more teleworking.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

um excuse me posted:

I was once around the DC area and saw a camera flash at me. I never got the ticket. It was looking against the flow of traffic and I have no front plates. Eat it, morally dubious revenue generation.

You sure it wasn't in the center but pointed at the other traffic? As far as I've seen all our cameras shoot from behind, which is not to say the flashes don't go off in the faces of oncoming traffic.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

waffle iron posted:

Yesterday I saw a crossover vehicle with running boards. It was a Buick Encore and I looked it up and the ground clearance is 6.2 in.

Edit: My 2009 Civic has a ground clearance of 5.9 in.

My 2002 Monte Carlo had 6.2" of ground clearance and I can confirm it was sufficient to carefully drive fully onto a curb and grass area, then down off the other side to escape a parking lot that had a locked gate late at night. That's all the off-roading most city folk will ever need.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

nm posted:

That also almost happened because people kept turning left in front of the family. There does not appear to be a protected left there, so they're all being assholes as well, and stranded them in the intersection, increasing their danger.
That douchebaggery is less bad than the red light runner, but gently caress people who don't yield to peds.

They might not have noticed them until it was too late because they had no expectations of pedestrians because there's no crosswalk there at all. Intersections like that you're supposed to cross to the side that has an actual crosswalk with a crosswalk sign to tell you when it's safe, otherwise you're just jaywalking. The irony being that if she had crossed on the protected side without cross-traffic to hit that red light runner, they'd all be dead right now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Ahh my bad, didn't look like there were in the video.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, everyone fucks up while driving once in a while.

Like 5 days after we had a baby in May I was driving and thought I forgot something, so I merged into a left turn lane to make a U-turn at a stop light, but realized I didn't need to turn around. But the left turn lane was to turn into a new development that didn't exist yet, so there wasn't anywhere to turn into and the lane ahead was so wide it looked like my lane just went straight, and I had already forgotten it was a left turn lane so when it turned green I just drove straight. No one honked but I saw a truck behind me to the right have his arm raised out the window in a kind of "hey what the hell was that?" gesture, and I couldn't imagine what the problem could be, until like a mile or two later I remembered hey wasn't that a left turn only lane I was in? So some people are idiots and some are just temporary idiots due to lack of sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Krakkles posted:

gently caress that dog owner.

One time I was leaving D.C. on the GW Parkway (a road with no sidewalk at that point that I've never once seen people walking by) and this idiot has her dog off a leash and sure enough it darts into the road and gets killed by the van in front of me. We stop to see if we should call an animal shelter or something because it didn't just die immediately, but this stupid lady was freaking out saying I can't believe this is happening, is this real?! I just wanted to kick her in the head. You just got this poor dog killed because you're an irresponsible dog owner, so yeah it's real.