Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I worked for a indy shop owner that would "fire" his customers when they tried to get something for nothing and were generally never happy and complained about everything. It was awesome. The looks on their faces when he told them he didn't want their business was priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I work at a beach resort. I can't count how many times someone has gotten a flat tire, dead battery, keys locked in the car, etc. They come to the front desk freaking out asking for help, and the front desk calls me. One of the first things I ask is "do you have AAA or any type of roadside assistance?" and 9 times out of ten they do and didn't even know it or forgot they had it. What loving good is it if you're too stupid to remember you even have it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't know man, I used to pull in tons of tail in my dad's IROC, or it could have been the mullet :smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After riding motorcycles for three years in Japan, coming back here was a nightmare and I haven't been riding since :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

The stupidity of ricers never ceases to amaze me. Who the gently caress not only chases someone down for flashing their highbeams, but then proceeds to follow someone onto private property to defend their early-2000s Kia's honor?

The same kinda guy that would pull out a gun a shoot your rear end too. You never know these days and gotta be careful who you start road rage arguments with.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

I rode with a guy one time who would properly signal when approaching a turn lane, get into the lane and roll to a stop at the light, and once stopped would manually shut off his blinker because he didn't like the noise.

ONCE. I'll never get in that car again. :twitch:

Why do you need to signal when you're in a left turn lane waiting for a green arrow? There's no point, really.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm talking about sitting at an intersection waiting for a green arrow to turn left, the oncoming lane and everyone in front/behind you would be doing the exact same thing. There is no oncoming traffic. Sorry, I just don't see the point of sitting still in the left turn lane waiting for the left turn light with your left turn signal on when everyone else knows you're turning left.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Strict adherence to road rules are indicating a turn ~100 feet before the turn lane, while in the turn lane, and while turning. There's no reason not to follow that recipe. :colbert:

Yes, because here in AI, we all strictly follow the rules of the road :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

The long and short of it, though, that if you're not using your turn signal then you're a dumbass. Yes, even at an arrow.

Bite me. I'm just giving my opinion, if you don't agree that's fine, but if you want to start name calling and insulting over something so god drat trivial you can go gently caress yourself. Wherever you like, even at an arrow.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I live it when people get wound up that I won't go when waved out, completely ignoring that they are on the inside lane of a dual carriageway, and the outer lane is 1) not properly visible from my position 2) still moving along even though their lane is stationary.

Yes, random stranger, I shall obediently risk an at-fault collision because to do otherwise would show a lack of gratitude for your apparent courtesy and so insult you...

I've seen lots of accidents because of this, and I just ignore people when they do it to me.

Honestly, it should be a moving violation, and If I was a cop I'd ticket the gently caress out of people for doing it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Try being responsible for a parking lot and having all the people pissed at idiot parking take it out on you. I've had people threaten to sue me if their car gets dinged :v:

I'm all for having nice cars, but people that care more about their cars than their loving children really irk me. MY CAR BETTER NOT GET SCRATCHED OR ILL KILL BABY ANIMALS AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

I've been driving a lot calmer lately just on principle, and even more so since it's my mom's brand new car, and I still get into bullshit encounters like this. gently caress people and gently caress this goddamn country.

Seriously dude? Have you seen the dash cam videos from other countries? Road rage isn't just a national phenomenon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Das Volk posted:

I just don't park in spaces where it's skewed or too tight or whatever, I'd rather avoid damage / confrontation etc.

But then you have to walk :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cross post from the youtube thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMB_tcXO5A

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dennyk posted:

Seriously. I mean, a couple more seconds of following distance might not have let him miss the crash entirely, but it certainly would have made his impact less severe.

Wonder what happened to the driver of the Jeep? Don't see how they could have walked away from that without serious injuries, but I can't find any news articles on it, so maybe they lived.

The guy that posted the video said he was alive but in ICU.

It's in Tampa right at the beginning of a huge freeway project they are working on now, you have to be paying attention 110% driving through it and obviously the jeep driver wasn't, probably on his phone I'm sure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

If there's any traffic it's impossible.

Pretty much. The gap it would take to stop in time for something like that would instantly be filled by five cars and you would get nowhere.

[e] Sounds like some people live out in BFE and don't know what traffic is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is what he hit:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.950193,-82.524138,3a,75y,58.66h,62.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3-n7V2kkW0W4duOP69M8TQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

The other problem is that this is a zero sum game, if everyone obeyed that rule, life would be grand. Except no one does, because everyone is a self absorbed rear end in a top hat and me-firsts in front of you even if you're following far too closely by the rules. The 3-5 second rule and all other following distance rules are a great way to end up being a rolling roadblock doing 15 under the speed of traffic in the right lane as everyone passes you and cuts you off.

I live in Massachusetts, I'd get murdered if I tried to do that. So guess what? I don't, I follow about the same distance out as everyone else, except I watch the car in front of me and the one in front of them (actually, I generally watch every car within eyeshot) so I have a better than average chance of avoiding an accident.

But research and internet so you're wrong :colbert:

Yeah if I did that in Tampa I'd get shot at for sure, so 3/4 of a second it is!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

StormDrain posted:

It's weird to me they didn't try to terminate those jersey barriers by running them tangent to and dying into the existing barrier, so that they just meet. Then the driver, rather than hitting something straight on would have ricocheted off back into his lane, probably into the next lane, but certainly maintaining good speed.

That's what I thought too, but I'm guessing they've tried that before and it didn't work as well. Maybe they concluded that making the car come to a dead stop is better than flinging it across three or four lanes of traffic? I dunno. Obviously it didn't work that well in this situation, still sending the car into traffic and starting a chain reaction across the lanes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

I agree in theory, but getting an alcoholic sober prevents DUIs for life while putting him in prison solves it for 3 years (and when he gets out he'll crave it even more).
The first also probably costs less than the $100,000 3 years of prison will.
The problem with the US is that we think way too much about punishing crime and not enough about preventing it. (Which is why here public transit closes an hour before last call, cars parked overnight get towed and ticketed if you choose to take a cab home, and police set up checkpoints to catch people driving home from last call instead.)

Jesus, if I lived there I would just stay home and drink. They're basically saying "Drunk at last call? Haha gently caress YOU."

You could be an Uber driver at closing time and make a killing. Dodge caravan with the seats and floor entire interior covered in plastic sheeting.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 8, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw a chick a few years ago who was driving a cab-forward VW Eurovan with her left foot up and sticking out of the window while she worked the brake and gas with her right.

I don't even think what the airbag leaves behind in a crash would be Euclidean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvgRUa41ULQ

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Who gives a poo poo about diffusing, if you want to flip someone off to make yourself feel better, flip 'em off. :shrug:

At least you're not maiming anyone by doing it.

Escalating the situation might get you a bullet in the head these days, you never know who's carrying a gun and road rage incidents end in people getting shot all the time. Not worth it really.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

The goon collective has determined that if you are being tailgated, you should exit the roadway immediately and take a five minute break in a parking lot to make sure you don't offend them further.

Also, if you see a road raging rear end in a top hat waving a gun at you, go ahead and brake check/ flip him off because you'll probably die in an accident anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Or maybe not live in areas where everyone around you is packing heat.

Lol where in the USA is that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No, the PT driver panicked and lost control in a situation that could have been easily averted by just applying the brakes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My dumbass brother did that while I was towing a CRX behind another car. He was in the CRX and for some retarded reason decided to take the key out of the ignition and the wheel locked up on him. Luckily it was a three lane road and no one else was near us at the time, could have ended up badly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

1000 points

2000 points

Damage Multiplier

MMMAXXXIMUM DAAAAAAMMMMAAAAAAGGGGEEEEE

I'm going to hell because I laughed way too hard at this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

https://www.facebook.com/drivetribe/videos/535006030212873/

Unmarked(?) cop car is at a roundabout, motorcycle is behind the cop, there is a pretty short gap that the cop might have been able to use or maybe not, but the cop didn't take the gap because the cop was on his phone (or possibly because the gap was kinda small). Guy on motorcycle honks, revs, and gestures at the cop, who then stops the police car to go have a loooong conversation with the biker. The cop threatens to write a ticket for road rage due to honking, says he was on the phone with a judge or some other important call, insists that when the phone is subpoenaed the judge will also see video of the biker standing up on his bike and swerving around the street "to avoid pot holes". Facebook people are retarded as usual and it was posted on a biker group, I'm finding it kinda hard to really dislike what the cop did. I guess I think it was unprofessional for the cop to get out of his car, but at the same time I think the biker was a douche bag for honking and probably even more so if he was hot dogging on his bike right before the incident.

That whole exchange in the middle of the road was loving idiotic by both of them, I would have told the cop to go ahead and write me a ticket, let me go about my business, then we can argue about it in court instead of in the middle of the loving street.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tarantula posted:

What did the motorbike rider do that was idiotic? Everyone who fucks around on their phone wile driving gets honked at. The cop could have just ignored him and drove away.

Argued with a cop in the middle of the road? He continued the argument multiple times when he could have just left, what is the cop going to do, give him a ticket? For what? Even if he did who cares, then you can have your dumbass argument in court instead of in the road holding up traffic.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Am I under arrest? No? Ok can I leave then? Pretty simple. Or, if you're going to give me a ticket then do it so i can leave please thank you, preferably on the side of the road out of the way.

The moron chose to sit there and argue when he didn't have to.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can speak from experience working in security that at a certain point there is no de escalating a situation, and you're pretty much on your own until the cops get there which can take forever.

I wouldn't have tried to pass the guy, but if he still stopped in front of me like that and got out of his car I would have ran his rear end over out of fear of what he was planning on doing. Yelling I WILL KILL YOU is not over the top in that situation either because you have no idea what the intentions of that guy was, and you can't really show any kind of weakness at that point so I don't blame him for being loud and threatening because you absolutely cannot submit in that situation.

I would have never played the brake check game, but who knows what that guy was planning on doing, he stopped in the middle of a loving interstate so at that point I'm going to assume he's insane and has nothing to lose.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

I hope that bus had a dash cam.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5ae_1516065309

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Killstick posted:

https://twitter.com/FIirtationship/...genumber%3D1743

Don't know if this was posted here already but feast your eyes on this and be sure to wait untill the end.

Edit that to make sure everyone turns off the sound because jesus christ the woman commentating is loving horrible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nsaP posted:

My old rear end car has poo poo go wrong with it and one of my friends keeps condescendingly telling me 'maybe it's time for a new car' like I'm not on the poverty line living paycheck to paycheck.

Yeah...right after I start saving for retirement and get my medical issues treated! lmao...people are so unrealistic.

My clueless father and his wife complained to my brother that the car he gave his 17yr old daughter was too unsafe for her to be driving and she needs a newer car. It's a mint '96 Camry that I sold to him then he passed on to her, it will run forever and is good reliable transportation, but lets go ahead and make the child think her father gave her an unsafe piece of poo poo! When we told them to go ahead and buy her a new car if they're so concerned about it they never said another word about it of course.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The goon who won Talladega on Saturday has un-won it two days later, after failing a drug test:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/23383493/nascar-issues-indefinite-suspension-spencer-gallagher-failed-drug-test

Christ, there goes his career. I wonder what it was, if it was just pot then that's a shame.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Flint Ironstag posted:

I had an E250 come in for check engine light on, loss of power diagnosis a while back. Random company owned work vehicle. The codes showed "running rich" and it would barely accelerate above 2000 rpm. Their air filter was completely clogged, and I do mean clogged, like I have rarely seen in all my years working on all types of machines. But, the easiest, and cheapest fix of all, for a van that ran that poorly. You would think the company would be happy to get it back so cheaply.

Nope, they declined the new air filter, so I put that cone of muck back in the airbox. At least I got paid for my diag.

So they paid $75 for a diagnosis but wouldn't pay $10 for a loving air filter? If they didn't want it fixed why did they even bring it in? Christ people are stupid.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can just hear the cop that got ran into....SERIOUSLY ERNIE WHAT THE gently caress YOU MORON

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reminder that it's not just people you're sharing the road (and your car) with:

https://twitter.com/MANUELCAV/status/1102736528558579712?s=19

Sent that to my wife....She's not gonna like it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I've only known 2 people in the service industry who weren't drunks, and one of them was pregnant the whole time I worked there, so she doesn't really count

I've worked in the service industry over 20 years and it's nowhere near that bad, I don't know where the hell you live but jesus man.

Thank god i don't really like alcohol, I could never drink another drop for the rest of my life and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would have been severely tempted to jump out of it but if there were lots of people around that would suck.....I guess the only thing to do then is put it in low gear and jam on the parking brake? I wonder if he tried to do any of that or just panicked.