Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Nex is great but "absolutely required"? :jerkbag:

The Starsector modding scene is fantastic but there is not a single required mod. The vanilla experience is great and I would personally recommend that people start there. This is not one of those games where you need to figure out a whole mod list before you play.

I don't know how you can spread lies like this when Starship Legends exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

I'm probably the outlier here but I don't like Starship Legends all that much, because 1)it's mostly a "rich-get-richer" system where the strongest ships get boosts they didn't really need, whereas weaker ships eat poo poo and bad debuffs and 2)it isn't able to account for enemy fleet quality, so if you want to farm traits you're better off fighting endless waves of pirate trash rather than actual difficult fights (e.g. Redacted) which will arbitrarily hurt your ship's reputation because you fought an opponent that didn't immediately roll over and die for you.

Honestly, you're not wrong. I mostly love it for RP flavor. I kinda want the officer/crew system from Star Traders Frontiers, but thats just me.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Francis John has a really good beginner video which includes a lot of talk about sensor profiles and how to be a sneaky sneak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao86PSYVLUs

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Logistics chat, I have recently rediscovered Hiigaran Descendants and fallen in love with this behemoth:

I cart two of those around and I'm set for supplies, a good chunk of fuel and enough troops for anything other than full invasions.

For comparison, here's the Atlas with the same cargo mods. Atlas is also obviously missing the +2 Burn mod (along with a poo poo load of useful sector mods)

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure I've got 99% of all mods installed and yeah, a lot of vanilla stuff still gives me pause. Granted I'm pretty bad.

On the topic what are people's favorite modded ships? I've got try expanding beyond the usual vanilla setup. The Sajuu Khar from Hiigaran is great for living out my space battleship fantasy but I've never actually encountered it in game and have had to cheat it in.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Anything actually worth catching is slow enough that another size ship can get it, unless all your ships are super slow. And its fairly easy to recatch up to fleeing fleets since the AI isn't great at running.

I use frigate for chasing down ships in the battle map. Generally they're not needed (I have carriers for actual support) but they get thrown out when I need to wipe out some ludds

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Has anyone done the Hazard Mining Inc Manchester system and they wanna spoil it for me? I cannot figure out where to go after finding The relay in the asteroid belt that says to go north west

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Look up on the map. Like. Way, WAY up.

Can you be more specific? I've rooted through all the systems and the only one of any note was Tabitha but other than a few defense fleets there was nothing of note.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

In Tabitha there is an intact Guardian station which has the finale loot. You will need to poke around the system to find it but the description for it is pretty explicit about its value.

Thanks I just found it while rechecking Tabitha and actually engaging the defense not just flying around them. Definetly worth it tho.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
If anyone ever needs to hide poo poo in this galaxy, the only place truly safe from me is planets near neutron stars because gently caress dealing with that.

I'm gonna have to find the fastest salvager/surveyor and try to bang em out.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I keep restarting to add even more mods. Currently up to 71.

It's Rimworld all over again.

Please send help.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Holy gently caress ED Shipyard's Basenji Explorer and Dalmatian Feighter are op as gently caress in the best possible way.

With 3 of the Basenji and 2 Dalmatians I've got 6k/6k/6k+ cargo/fuel/crew, 1.7 daily supply, 16 base burn, 11 slow burn, 2k sensor and a regular profile of 113, dropping to 40 if I go dark.

Literally the only thing missing is a salvage rig.

Oh, and any sort of weapon whatsoever. I've got to stash story points for when I eventually get caught out.

Disclaimer: I have all the relevant skills and 2 hullmods giving me +3 burn total.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Apogees have great shields, great flux and a large turret mount, they're great centre/back line ships for the early/mid game.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm so far away from vanilla that I may be just wrong but I'm pretty sure I jammed a plasma cannon on there, built in hardened shields and just stacked PD and flux cap/vent.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
My only experience with SO is when I had Safety Override, Reckless Officer and a Hammerhead(?) for when something just needed to loving die. Usually it was the Hammerhead but by God did he make a mess before he did.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Vic (?) also has Wanzers, which are mechs replacing the fighters and bombers.

Edit I think it's Diablo that has them, not Vic

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Diable and Vic are mandatory bad guys for me, with the newest addition of Iron Shell.

Roider Union because they're my buddies and I need someone to big brother for.

DME for fighters fighters fighters and their subfaction Blade Breakers for using said fighters to blow up other fighters.

Kudar because I enjoy their story

Legacy of Ark - the Reperations Society is a fantastic, unique addition to the game that I feel really adds an element of just pure chaos.

Finally, while not a faction Ed Shipyard is my latest favorite with their Phase Field and multimod ships.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Exodee posted:

Had to get slightly creative since regular bombers don't work too well against a fortress shield, but those Warthogs were surprisingly effective (and survivable!)

Honestly this was the thing that amazed me the most

Excelzior posted:

shield shunt is wonderful for any AI controlled ship because it removes their preference for shields over output

The AI's tendency to try and get cute with cutting/raising shields is its number one problem imo.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

gently caress it, Im Neural linkin' a Spire and Astral

Ive become a multi phase boss fight

edit: nm, 25 op lol

I modded that down to 0 cost on like day 2 and never looked back. It already costs a tier4 skill.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
It's also worth keeping an eye out for hidden Ludic/Pirate/Modded anarchy factions at the edge of the sector.

Never destroy them for free, just make note and then do all your deep space exploration dump trading there.

Then once a fat bounty for the place shows up, blow it to hell.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

And true to life those will absolutely get murdered by torpedoes .

They do pretty well actually. They all have a poo poo ton of small turrets and most come with fighter decks. That said mine are rarely on the frontline.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
The thing I really like about Nex is that it makes the politics of the game more consistent. Whereas in Vanilla factions will goto war or ally up with no rhyme or reason, with Nex you can see descent into war pretty clearly.

Also the custom starts and prism are great.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah having a dumb amount of faction mods can cause some bizzare alliances, I had one where it was the Luddic Path, Pirates, fancy Pirates, and the loving Hiigan Descendants.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I think next run I'll try that Derelict scenario start and bum rush a nice core system. I'm sick of scrounging at the edge of the sector.

I wonder if Vic starts with their Bio Factory world...

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've been sleeping on the Tech Mining for a long time but holy gently caress it's great. I've been slapping on down in my temporary deep space colonies and it's just great passive income of BP's, weapons and colony items. It's a great final building to go along with the Waystation and Commerce/Roider on your dump outposts.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Some of the mod bounty fights will absolutely overwhelm almost any amount of PD.

Having a significant missile/fighter presence is useful in general since it covers space the enemy could travel to or fill with ordnance themselves. Shoot enough missiles and it's hard to get a shot through to hit the ship.

The final fights against Blade Breakers can be so rough I'll ditch shields and go heavy armor + PD mass just to clear out some of the first waves.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm out here at the edge of the galaxy dragging 5k Marines around

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Brainbread posted:

And if you use the Industrial Revolution mod, pirate and lp friendliness gives you stability and population growth when you make the Privateers industry which is THE BEST Industry because who doesn't like pirating other factions.

I had a big post written up earlier about how Pirate relations are great because of the Privateer base until I remembered it wasn't vanilla. Such a great mod.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Arghy posted:

Seeing as i'm not installing anything lore wise i'm just gonna install abuncha mods(adjusted sector, IE, objects analysis, S&W, musashi, terraforming and station construction) but has anyone messed with AS? I want to just create a slightly bigger sector not this insane large sector. Anyone got a preset that isn't too far off the original? I want like 50 new systems and turning some of the salvage stuff up.

If thats all you're looking to do, editing the settings.json in the config folder is your best bet. You'll want to replace

code:
"AdjustedSectorConstellationCount":160,
"AdjustedSectorConstellationSize":900,
and

code:
"sectorConstellationRuinsMin":60,
"sectorConstellationRuinsMax":80,
The file is really easy to edit and theres a writeup on the forum post so just poke around.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'd pay some random 60k a month to survey a bunch of planets and clear out the rabble.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
The only thing I'd say to really watch out for is if you install Luddic Enhancement - You aren't chasing those Drams, they're chasing you.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
What the gently caress are you people trading that takes you so long?

Buy drugs.

Sell drugs to Luddic Path (probably on Lemtis)

You've got like 2 million after 4 trades within the core.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah I have a capital Musashi ship and I just dumpster with it. In theory my shield is awful, I don't have much armor, really my only defence is speed and range and PD, but in reality the AI takes one double Tengu barrage and gets scared, and can't retreat out of my range to vent fast enough even with the hilariously long recharge time of those batteries.

When I get my hands on a few large Musashi weapons I know it's time to transition to fighters/bombers because every frigate/destroyer in the area is about to get blown the gently caress up.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Playing with Mushashi

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Interstellar Imperium does the long range thing fairly well, in that you have to spec their ships for it and they are extremely slow when engaged if you do, so they are not good at falling back if you overload one.

Also their mounts tend to be a bit undersized too.

Also they have a battleship which is clearly the Enterprise but not.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I know very little compares to an angry Legion unleashing hell, but how is the Mora as a Cruiser sized combat carrier?

Are there any good mod ships that are combat carriers that are grossly expensive in DP?

Give me more Battlestars.

Try Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering or Diable Avionics

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Goddamnit.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

It's a critical relation to maintain for Breaker/Pather/Pirate/really bad random relation starts, because it makes the fringes safer and also it won't ever piss anybody off to make the Remnants like you.

Plus when the contact offers to sell you an order of items you can get really good poo poo out of it, especially if you have one of the mods that adds better remnant versions of weapons.

I'd agree with most of your points but Breakers seem to be such pussies that any sort of defensive fleet scares off all but the biggest Breaker fleets.

Plus you get that sweet sweet OP Sigma/BB weapons plus some sigma cores which are quite valuable, especially early on.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

other people may know about this already but i just learned so its worth posting again.

If your game slows down and gets laggy sometimes after battles, forcing you to restart the game, try switching from starsector's java 7 to java 8.

Mini-guide: Switching to Java 8 to prevent the post-battle slowdown
Not officially supported, may cause unrelated issues, do at your own risk and please report back if you do notice it causing problems.

Symptoms
- After some time playing and immediately after a battle, the game FPS will plummet (eg from 60 to 15-25) and usually only go back to normal after a game restart.
- Saving/loading takes 5x longer than usual.
- Using at least one mod (that adds new sprites? incl. GraphicsLib).

Fix (slow down and read this part carefully)
1. Go to your starsector install and rename the jre folder to jre7.
2. Download either of the following (both are the same JRE 8 v271) (Mac/Linux users look below for download link):
- (72 MB .zip) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CGRtnv5hIGCtcdlvZXFO0F58VXqYUo6x/view?usp=sharing
- (48 MB .7z) https://drive.google.com/file/d/155Lk0ml9AUGp5NwtTZGpdu7e7Ehdyeth/view?usp=sharing
3. Extract that into your game folder so you have a folder named jre. You'll now have both jre (with java 8) and jre7.
4. Make sure that your starsector/starsector-core/data/config/settings.json allowAnyJavaVersion is set to true. Then launch the game as normal.

This is super important and makes a significant improvement to your gameplay. Even if you're rocking Java 8 already on your PC, you need to follow the steps above to install Java 8 for Starsector.

Also remember to increase your memory availability As seen here

I seem to recall there's also a VM size modifier but I cannot recall it.

EDIT: its the "Permsize" modifier
code:
-Xms8192m -Xmx8192m -Xss2048k -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Random Minor Complaint: It really bothers me how so few factions have exploration ships, and when they do, they never have salvage rigs on them. DME has a loving Capital class exploration ship but for some reason no one jammed salvage rig onto it.

EDIT:

Jinnigan posted:

what does permsize vs max permsize do?

Its the Java heap space. It's in there to help avoid OutOfMemory errors. I was just told to keep them the same so...

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 17, 2022