Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Crazy Ted posted:

ABC (United States): Sources say Sepp Blatter is being investigated by the FBI

Remember when he said last month that he wasn't coming to the Copa America Centennial next year? I think he's going to be here for that, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

So what's the over/under on how long until the Garcia report is fully published? Also, odds on the FBI 'accidentally' having a copy of it already?

I wonder if after FIFA pissed him off, Garcia dropped a couple hints about where to go looking for evidence and who to look at.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The investigation by the DOJ has been going on since like 2013 at least. Though I'd say they got some assistance from it.

I'm talking the final puzzle pieces. Like some secretary from Lesotho or something being the link between Valcke and Warner.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

California is willing to host, but all the countries have to promise to fill their water bottles at home before they come. The water fountains won't be turned on here.

So just like Europe?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Does anyone know if Blatter has skipped town? I hope he tries.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Daric posted:

Michigan is still the largest college football stadium at 110,000

Yeah but why the hell would anyone want to go to Michigan? Qatar is bad enough.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

All they had to do is not award the 2022 to the worst possible bid and all these fuckers would have kept their jobs and expensive lifestyles.

Also lol Xavi. You complete and utter shill. http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2493976/xavi-hernandez-qatar-has-conditions-for-great-world-cup

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Is that the same Ireland where the economy went into recession thanks to Henry's hand?

Well FIFA did pay them off so they would keep their mouth shut about that one.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

Lol what right would they have to appeal?!

They could probably appeal the whole game. Because such an important match was decided on a terrible call, they could call for a rematch. Just spitballing here.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

Do you realize what kind of precedent that would set?

I don't know what the gently caress fifa was paying compensation for.

I do know that. That doesn't stop Ireland from demanding it and whining. It was hush money so Ireland would shut the gently caress up about it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

He's not going to the Final for 'personal reasons'. Personal reasons being his freedom.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

what's that? they investigated FIFA for ten years and still haven't arrested the top dog? this is an organisation we trust, for sure.

He's phase 3. Phase 1 was Blazer(the Undercover Informant), Phase 2 is arresting mid-to-high levels executives and get them to roll on higher-ups, leading to Phase 3: Taking down the Boss. It's like you guys have never heard of a RICO case ever. This is how every Mob trial has ever gone.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

how long does phase 3 take?

Depends on how fast guys like Webb, Warner, and Valcke turn over evidence. John Gotti took years, but he was actually pretty good at being a criminal. Blatter is not. I'm sure if he were to show up in Canada, there'd be a nice warrant for his arrest waiting for him at the tarmac.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

In Fluo/FLJ voice:

The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA /ˈfiːfə/; English: International Federation of Association Football) is the governing body of association football (soccer), futsal and beach soccer. FIFA is responsible for the organisation of football's major international tournaments, notably the World Cup which commenced in 1930 and the Women's World Cup which commenced in 1991.

FIFA was founded in 1904 to oversee international competition among the national associations of Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Headquartered in Zürich, its membership now comprises 209 national associations. Member countries must each also be members of one of the six regional confederations into which the world is divided: Africa, Asia, Europe, North & Central America and the Caribbean, Oceania and South America.

Truly their passion united the world.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

You know what, I love Sepp Blatter. He has trolled the world for years, makes tons of money, and bangs hot chicks. I want to be him when I grow up.

In regards to Morocco's failed 1994 World Cup bid: “In the opinion of the executive committee, perhaps it was wiser to accept the infrastructure that was existing than the ones that were planned,” said FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who was then general secretary. “Also consider … that the World Cup is not a development program for the basic infrastructure of a country.”

From this: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/04/usa-world-cup-94-inside-story

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

jyrka posted:

It was a completely reasonable interview. And, yes, he knows what you're saying. That is what he was complaining about it.

If he didn't want to have his criminal organization treated like a criminal organization, maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't have let his buddies break a bunch of laws?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

CONMEBOL officials are claiming the Copa America Centenario 2016 might not be played in the US like it was planned. I wonder if it's because good old Sepp can't blow this one off like the Women's World Cup?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

This would not really make much difference except that players would get paid more.

Do you really want Nicklas Bendtner to make even more money?!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

And he's the head of UEFA and the soon-to-be head of FIFA. New boss= old boss.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

they said that about Rolf

What did that Muppet ever do to anyone?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

vyelkin posted:

FIFA have taken the bold anti-corruption step of banning Jack Warner from football for life, which will surely end all legal pressure on them going forward.

This is great because he was already banned for life for the Bin Hammam thing.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Incredibly, he was the only voice against it. Do your research.

If you don't think he already knew the outcome of that vote before it was cast and also knew that a token vote for the US would deflect heat from him, then you're as dumb as your posts have been.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

advanced statsman posted:

how could he have known?

Because Qatar bribed everyone. He knew the requisite number of votes were already paid for.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I want to believe because referee organizations are highly political, but at the same time, there's no way they are scheduling referees this far in advance. But this is Spain, so I can't wait for this to keep exploding. :munch:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shoren posted:

The question then is: Did they decide the hosts by committee before the bids were seen, or did they decide after seeing the bids, but before the votes were cast?

Isn't it still fraud to collude on a vote?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

foobardog posted:

Qatar is really what made everyone go what the gently caress?

They were promising Bond Villain-esque levels of weather control with man-made, remote control cloud drones with modular stadiums that would be dismantled after the Cup and given to African countries. Yes, it was an insane bid based on non-existent technology and glitter. They claimed the 120° heat of the summer wouldn't be an issue and of course they wouldn't move the dates of the tournament.

When a bunch of FIFA Ex-Co members suddenly became great friends of the nation of Qatar and start getting Spanish villas, artwork, cushy job postings, etc right before a major vote on an issue concerning Qatar and all of a sudden Qatar wins the vote when it would never have even been considered, I mean, it's hard not to call shenanigans. It was the most obvious bribe/corruption job the world had seen in a while. They didn't even really try to hide it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I'm sure wikipedia will hold up well in the court of law.

While that is form Wikipedia, that is absolutely how the voting went when they counted the votes each round publicly.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Would the level of commentary improve if the worst offenders could be stoned to death?

I think USA and FOX would be against that because then we'd have no more commentators.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Azerban posted:

world cup should be a 128 team unseeded single elimination knockout tournament

Canada will still lose to Guam in the qualifiers.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shoren posted:

Why not go all the way and make the World Cup a 209-team tournament? The current format is clearly discriminatory against nations of less wealth and skill and should be done away with. So what if the groups will have 26 teams each? Every nation deserves a chance to go toe-to-toe with the World Champions, even ones that have no chance to win like Mauritania or Brazil. And just think of how much they could charge for TV rights to blockbuster matches like Seychelles vs Maldives! The possibilities are truly endless.

So you'd like the current system to stand then?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Simone Poodoin posted:

They released the names of all the arrested people and they are all small time third world nobodies, fail rear end feds if you ask me

I'm sure it's because these guys are the dumb criminals they are hoping will roll on the smart ones, or as we all know them, UEFA.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Figueredo has been granted his extradition to Uruguay and now Rafael Esquivel is also trying to get extradited to Venezuela because he knows he'll be able to do whatever the gently caress he wants here

shame on the US and the Swiss

I guarantee you he only got extradition because he rolled on someone higher than him.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

but but but Rico

As I said, he probably cut a sweet deal to roll on his superiors.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

Who are his superiors? Wasn't he the head man or vice head man of South America?

Good on USA for cleaning up South America but its looking increasingly likely that Blatter and his power base in Africa and Asia avoided using US banks for their dodgy deals and are untouchable.

They want Platini, Valcke, Blatter, etc.

I'll bet you most of them weren't smart enough to not go through American banks, but who knows? Most of these guys are terrible criminals who never actually had to hide the things they did very hard because of the government positions they hold.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

2022 Wold Cup. :eng101:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

The Centennario is going to be awesome. I wonder how many FIFA guys are actually going to show up.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

jyrka posted:

According to the bookies someone called Salman Al Khalifa is very likely to be the next FIFA president.

Don't they know that this election is going to have more scrutiny than ever? Are FIFA members really this dumb?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

New boss is just like the old one. And he is going to win with both Asia and Africa voting in bloc. I guess fully half of FIFA don't understand the reason things have gone south over the past 3 years.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

She's the ultra liberal candidate they put up first before submitting the more moderate 'second' choice that ultimately gets nominated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Lladre posted:

Prince Ali bin al-Hussein requests postponement of Fifa presidential election.

Because he want's transparent booths.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/23/prince-ali-bin-al-hussein-suspension-fifa-presidential-election

Out of all the candidates, Prince Ali of Jordan is probably the least objectionable.