Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Just updated to the new version, it's great but I'm missing the granular theme customization options of the old version. I assume the CSS is tweakable by editing a file or creating a new one. Works? Worth it? Also, is AmberPOS theme supposed to lock in the terminal font regardless of your selected default?

Everything about Awful Betamax is booyah-worthy, great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

hey santa baby posted:

Way too much wasted space. After removing all the padding in the css it looks OK though.

e: Should add that this is on the phone. Things may be much roomier on a tablet.

Leaving my phone installation stagnant for a while with the last play store release because of this and the custom theme limits. I didn't specify, but the earlier post was about the update on a Nexus 10.

Nice bonus among the limited color options, the AmberPOS theme with "enable bookmark star colors" turned on is a good forums scheme for autumn.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

rolleyes posted:

Please please please can we have the 'real' dark theme back? I have an OLED screen and I just want white text on a black background, with some slight differentiation of text colour to show read vs. unread posts.
I had the same initial reason for not updating (G-Nexus), but the YOSPOS themes are close enough to work until that change happens.

Granted, read posts and OP posts get the whole area shaded positively instead of negatively. But as long as you aren't spending much time rereading posts on your phone, it works for now. True black background with yellow or green details.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks again for the app, it just keeps improving. I did basic Java work in the mid-2000s, don't remember much for programming purposes though. Might join the beta.

Spanky, thanks for that theme. I haven't built a website since my programming days, but I can tweak your setup to be perfect for my OLED phone (GSM G-Nexus).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Nexus 10, both ways:

Haha, the bottom row in the vertical orientation is a series of "Bad Girl" apps.
Awful is right. Further down, there's "Bad Boy Tool Extreme" for the fellas.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
The left side swipe-from-edge trips me up every now and then, but it also solves the top-bar-no-nav issue that comes with the update. It's also fun to see my avatar jumbo-sized in the swipe screen despite having avatars off in the standard forums settings. Nice reminder that I'm an evil wizard IRL.

I like the update. Just gotta learn to swipe less lazily.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 29, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Is there an easy way for me to do comprehensive custom variants of the POS themes? Mostly shooting for less-saturated background tinting and a few more color options (variants in red, white and chartreuse).

I've messed with my own quick .dark and POS color+name edits for the custom theme folder, but must be missing something since they aren't as comprehensive. Either the forums navigation menu stays stock light/dark, or there are lingering Gpos/Apos artifacts (like the three dots).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
submission of the forgotten tab:
Sorry if this belongs in the beta thread, I'll move it there if needed.

REDpos.dark.css is my quick and dirty edit for OLED use on movie night or dark room work etc (with obvious YOSpos artifacts), like SkyMap's night mode for the forums. I used .dark since I don't know whether the custom folder works for stock theme overrides.

code:
.passive {
color:#5e5e5e;
}

a {
color:#F00;
}

body {
background-color:#000;
font-family: userselected, 'consolas', monaco, monospace;
font-size:0.9em;
}

div.avatar {
position:relative;
display: table-cell;
vertical-align: middle;
text-align: center;
max-width:50px;
max-height:50px;
}

div.avatar img, div.avatar canvas{
}

div.avatar-cell {
float:left;
margin-right:10px;
position:relative;
}

div.avatar.extended {
max-width:100px;
max-height:100px;
}

div.avatar.extended img, div.avatar.extended canvas{
}

div.avatar-cell.extended {
}

article {
margin:10px 5px;
padding:15px;
border: 1px solid #F00;
}

article.read {
background-color:#100000;
}

article.op {
background-color:#201000;
}

article.marked {
background-color:#252500;
}

article.self {
background-color:#303000;
}

article.toggleread, article#taptorefresh {
text-align: center;
padding:5px;
}

section.postcontent {
word-wrap: break-word;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-block {
border-left:2px solid #F00;
margin:5px 0;
padding:5px 10px 5px 20px;
}

section.postcontent .self {
background-color: #303000;
}

section.postcontent .usernameHighlight {
color: #F00;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-block h4 {
font-style:italic;
margin:2px 0 5px;
}

section.postcontent blockquote {
margin:0;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-block.code, section.postcontent pre{
overflow: auto;
word-wrap: normal;
}

section.postcontent img, section.postcontent iframe{
max-width: 100% !important;
}

section.postcontent img.timg{
border: 2px solid #F00;
width: 20%;
}

section.postcontent .editedby {
font-style:italic;
font-size: 0.7em;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler{
background-color: black;
color: transparent;
box-shadow: 0px 0px 9px rgb(255, 50, 50);
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler * {
visibility: hidden;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler.spoiled {
background-color: transparent;
color: #F00;
box-shadow: none;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler.spoiled * {
visibility: visible;
}

section.postcontent .signature {
border-top: 2px solid #F00;
padding-top: 10px;
}

header {
vertical-align:top;
clear:left;
overflow:hidden;
border:0;
border-bottom:2px solid #F00;
margin:0 0 10px;
padding:0 0 10px;
}

section.postinfo {
font-size:1.1em;
float:left;
width:90%;
overflow:hidden;
display:inline-block;
}

aside.postinfo-poster img {
height: 1em;
}

time.postinfo-postdate,time.postinfo-regdate,aside.postinfo-title {
font-size:0.85em;
}

time.postinfo-postdate,time.postinfo-regdate {
font-style: italic;
}
time.postinfo-regdate,aside.postinfo-title {
display:none;
}

time.postinfo-regdate.extended,aside.postinfo-title.extended {
display:block;
}

nav.postmenu {
float:right;
font-weight:bolder;
font-size:1.5em;
width:10px;
height:30px;
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-size:15px 30px;
background-image:url(file:///android_asset/images/ic_menu_overflow_yps.png);
padding:0 5px 0 0;
}

ul.postoptions {
height:35px;
display:none;
padding-left:15px;
margin:-11px -15px 5px;
}

ul.postoptions .edit {
background-image:url(file:///android_asset/images/ic_menu_edit.png);
}

ul.postoptions .lastread {
background-image:url(file:///android_asset/images/ic_menu_lastread.png);
}

ul.postoptions .more {
background-image:url(file:///android_asset/images/ic_menu_more.png);
}

ul.postoptions .quote {
background-image:url(file:///android_asset/images/ic_menu_quote.png);
}

ul.postoptions li {
float:right;
margin-right:5px;
height:15px;
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-position:left top;
background-size:30px 30px;
padding:10px 0 10px 30px;
list-style-type: none;
}

ul.postoptions.extended {
display:block;
}
The others would be based on 99FC00 and F2F2F2, with similarly subtler background tinting for OP/read/self posts. Maybe I could do an ICS-holoblue one since 33B5E5 wasn't harsh on the eyes.

This all reminds me: is there some simple way to make a universal .pos template with a user-defined prime color? I remember the app's early incarnations with the granular user-defined color hex options (looking back, that's the topic of my first post in this thread), is that not worthwhile on the programming side? Seems like light+dark+pos templates with custom colors and an export/import feature would put an end to theme sperging.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a way to opt in for beta access on a per-device basis, or is it per-user?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Is there any way to use custom fonts for the app? Themes are easy, and I'm curious about logistics.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Is there any simple way to add custom fonts? Using Fx to dump into the app's /assets/fonts folder doesn't work (read-only, of course), but there doesn't seem to be a provision for unofficial user-selected fonts like there is for themes.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I'm loving the new version, but you seem to have forgotten to spin any frogs?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
One (probably quick fix) thing I don't think I've seen mentioned: embedded tweets remain bright white on OLED, but are black on POS themes.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

w00tmonger posted:

Having a bug the last week or so and I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting on my end.

Lately the app has just been failing to load while I'm on 3g etc, even though I can still Google poo poo and get other programs working. Works fine on wifi

On a OnePlus 2, Android 6.0.2

Have you tried loading the SA Forums in Chrome/Firefox/etc? It could be something with Cloudflare or whatever protection checker, if you're on some nonstandard 3g network (I assume CA is the same as USA for no weird treatment, though).

edit: this is a total guess, good luck

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

I invoke the task switcher and keyboard changer regularly on my Nexus 5. It's easy to do when you use your device one-handed.

This is why the Motorola dimple needs to be standard. And the Motorola 2013/2014 X body design :shobon:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I've asked a couple of times about custom fonts, but I'm generally curious about the app's font preferences.

They stick with standard non-serif Roboto for post content, regardless of theme and font choices. Font choices apply to the indexes and titles, but even clearing data and starting fresh don't result in a change of font for the bulk of the actual reading. Anything I'm missing?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Uhh honestly I think fonts are kind of an afterthought, like how I just switched to comic sans and saw all kinds of broken stuff that I guess none of us ever noticed. It's possible to have custom fonts in the thread view (like yospos mode hmm wait was I imagining that?) but it's all pretty tangled up and time consuming to fix

It might be a good issue for someone who wants to contribute though! Untangling a bit of spaghetti, separating layout font sizes from post font sizes, that kind of thing

Yeah, I keep waffling between joining and realizing that I'd just be another rusty coder, doing first-time work for an Android environment, for an app that's probably going to be deprecated soon by upcoming forums changes anyway, for a dead gay comedy forum, and in our hearts only death is certain.

I get the something.apk appeal, but hope the move to xenforo or whatever they do will have enough API options for some app to hook in and tweak whatever isn't great on mobile. It's really nice having an immersive themed native forums environment, rather than having to use some half-assed "touch friendly mode" webpage and layer a universal Stylish theme over that.

Edit: my suggestion for another dumb font option
http://www.dafont.com/comfortaa.font?text=pepsi%20for%20goon%20reader

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 22, 2016

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Sereri posted:

I was thinking about it as a one-time thing which would display as a popup like the changelog, with two buttons "send" and "yeah no", and a small text detailing how it would be a good idea to press the first button.

If it was a continuous, automatic thing it would need to be opt-in, yeah.

My only concern would be whether it's inclusive or a snapshot, so I'd favor the opt-out continuous collection. I'll switch to POS themes for night or dark room use (OLED is good, but doesn't darken Twitter embeds like POS themes and its white text looks comparably a bit harsher).

The norm use is probably 85% locked-in settings with a couple of daily switches. It's great that volume scrolling is an option, for instance, but I can't imagine who's using that except for weird hackjob stuff like nook sideloads or optical/touchless displays.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

The Dark One posted:

Feature request: a New Thread button that logs you out of the forums when tapped.

Or a button that lets you post threads, but always forces an auto-ban tag.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

Is there any way to apply the dark theme to embedded tweets? My eyes are bleeding from the excessive bright white squares. Or maybe an option to only display the text, like what briefly flashes before the css or whatever makes it pretty?

I've mentioned this issue in the past, but the app might not get quick changes with the forums overhaul coming.

In the meantime, you can use the green or amber POS themes for dark tweet backgrounds (or tweak your own custom POS theme?)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Sereri posted:

Asking because there was no feedback, are the post menu buttons now working for everyone on 3.3.1?

Functionally everything's great, but I'm not sure it was meant to have this appearance of half ellipses:
(shrunken and cropped to fit as attachment)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Yeah you can't change themes right now unless you've granted the file access permission, it's a bug in the current version

All we use the permissions for is checking the Awful folder for custom themes/layouts, and the download option if you click a link (and maybe saving/restoring your settings, I forget). You can grant permission temporarily until you've picked a theme if you like, it's just the theme picker that has the issue

Since the latest updates, are there any changes to POS or OLED custom variants? I haven't messed with editing them in probably a year, but they'd have UI aspects that were color-locked (probably as images etc).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

If you mean the app's UI stuff like the post menu button, I don't think anything's changed styling-wise - if there's anything specific you want to be able to change, post a screenshot or whatever so we know what you're talking about and we can probably throw in a CSS selector or something! The dev thread might be the best place for it

I'd feel like a butthole just quoting this in the dev thread and going
:gary:"...EVERYTHING"

...but I've always missed the neurotic granular hex theming the app used to offer. CSS selector would be great, I don't know why I've not tried one of those before. I should probably switch over to the beta.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

There Bias Two posted:

I was browsing the forums in bed, and the app crashed when my phone slipped and fell on my face. Can anyone else replicate this?

Can you give a rough estimate of how moist your hands, face, and bedding were at the time? And a breakdown by substance, if available.

Simple​ hyperhidrosis clamminess shouldn't be enough to crash this robust app.

Edit: also, how large are your hands and face? Like Marfans, Trump, average?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 8, 2017

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Just a question / request, any way or plans to make thread titles optional when reading?

Phone space ends up feeling a bit cramped compared to tablet, it'd be cool to have an option for the title bar to toggle either: off, or slide down when up-scrolling

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

sweart gliwere posted:

Just a question / request, any way or plans to make thread titles optional when reading?

Phone space ends up feeling a bit cramped compared to tablet, it'd be cool to have an option for the title bar to toggle either: off, or slide down when up-scrolling

Asking again, since we got a bunch of new posts from that cranky dude shortly after

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Meatgrinder posted:

Anyone else use this app on a tablet? It keeps freezing up, seemingly at random, when I scroll down a thread or when I swipe back from a thread to the thread list and forums list. It will do this often enough to be annoying, and requires me to kill and relaunch the app.

This has never once happened on my phone. Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with Android 5.1.1.

I've never had that trouble with larger screens, having used this on a Nexus 10, Dell 7840, and (for shits) on a Remix OS flash drive. :shrug:

Sometimes it's slow on the Dell if you've had airplane mode on for a while and jump immediately into browsing, but that applies to lots of things during its minute of force-synchronizing.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Sereri posted:

So, has anyone tried the favorite forums functionality? What's the opinion?

I've never seen it in this app, but like it in the other SA app. What am I missing here, are you guys referencing the beta or are updates slow or have I missed a main-site feature or what?

+ Feature Request: Page Transformation (Batman Spin)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

I had thought of doing that (with the frog)...

Inspired by my handed-down Omnia i910, which literally had that as an option (not that it's forgivable) for screen transitions from portrait to landscape, system-wide.

You could actually force that thing into breaking the transition animation task by keeping it in a forever loop, repeatedly adjusting it after just under 1 second until eventual crash to desktop. Samsung: pioneers of painful UI.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Yes, forum titles are red if favourited. I like that.

It's great generally, but red ends up pretty stealthy on OLEDs for what it's worth from a design standpoint, probably not great for direct natural or bright lighting (yes, joined the beta)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Any way to disable announcement notification bars?

You could post a belligerent QCS thread about how we paid for no-ads and Lowtax keeps bombarding us with notifications on the app?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

hooah posted:

What are you doing with your phone that you see the frog multiple times a day? I'll see it maybe once a day.

If you have an older device (2gb or less RAM, Android 6 or below, etc) and use the same device for lots of stuff while keeping mobile during the day, it tends to kick Awful out of memory enough to trigger the frog splash a good three or more times a day.

I'd had the same concerns about it, but it'd also be nice to be able to change the splash screen anyway for night.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Compromise with :frogsiren: but instead of sirens, it has swastikas made of photo-realistic dicks (swasticocks for future reference). Also a duration over 30 seconds but it only counts the time when the screen is on with the app in-focus.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Can you also make the app turn up my volume to max level and scream FETAL BLOODFART when it launches?

Don't make the app produce audio. Integrate face detection and mic permissions, engage any proximity sensors and IR emitters+ receivers, and make sure the user has to warble "Do you have stairs in your house?!?" at least 3x as loud as any ambient noise level. While still keeping the splash screen timer. Maybe make us trace the swasticocks as a form of captcha?

It'll be like those Resident Evil 4 button mashing challenges, but for being an idiot goon in public.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

RVProfootballer posted:

Or if you view it once. Seriously, what a non-issue, unlike adding more 🐸

Do swasticocks become SFW if you replace their tips with off-brand peepee frogs?

Worst Chuck Tingle + Phil K Dick mashup idea.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Honestly I sometimes find that the announcement notification goes away to quickly for me to react and click it.

So maybe split the difference and just loving leave it alone.

No, we should have to complete the old SA flash game "Dance Dance Karnov" on mobile if we want to make any announcements, frogs, or future penises go away.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

hooah posted:

When did the term change from "toast" to "snackbar"?

Toasts aren't clickable, I think. Both popups, but different uses.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

site posted:

Please force the app to open to the announcement and then require a checkmark confirmation with captcha dialogue box to close it

Also, if they dismiss it in under three minutes (careless readers) it rates the announcement [1/5] to earn a punishment.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Add announcement notifications to all PM and "forums updated" ones, just stack the pop-ups until the screen is a snack and toast buffet.

Each note stack should be independently manually dismissed, for thoroughness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Black background with red read content is easy on the eyes and still a clear differentiator for a POS-friendly scheme