Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

You wrote an SOP for pissing all over the wall underneath the urinal, though :v:

Edit: Unless it's for a handstand piss.

Nitrogen loves piss on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

HR lady asked me if "people used LinkedIn to look for jobs"

I said well it's pretty much Indeed.com and LinkedIn when it comes to job searches these days.

She had never heard of Indeed. We post job openings in 3 places. Local community college, local state university, and the Pure Michigan Talent Connect website.

Wouldn't that "talent connect" site get scraped by Indeed?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You were pretty much asking for escalation to a pissy shouting match.

Yeah, should have just disabled her AD account and rebooted her computer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SEKCobra posted:

To be fair, Outlook preview is off and you shouldn't be using an admin privilege account.

Wait. You are telling me that every single person in the IT department shouldn't have domain admin rights on their regular account?

Welcome to my hell.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MF_James posted:

Really you shouldn't, you should have your regular user account and then an elevated account to use when you need elevated privileges. If you really want to go crazy with it, use something like ERPM and then you have to check out the password, put a reason for doing so, when you're done, you check it in, and the password spins.

*edit*

This is also useful for a reason other than security, it keeps lazy admins from loving up when they make a change and not realizing it works for an admin user but not for a regular user.

Ha, I am well aware of this. Been nagging about it since i started 4 years ago, no one cares.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My boss at $AWFUL_JOB would always steal my power adapter from my dock and then leave with it and I'd never see it again. I ended up ziptie-ing it to my desk with a bunch of wraps. Once in a while I'd come in and see a few of them were attacked, but not compromised, and someone else's adapter would be gone. A few times he'd send these emails at 2am:

SUBJECT: NO MORE TYING DOWN EQUIPMENT IN THE OFFICCE (sic)

SOME OF US HAVE TO WORK LATE TO MAKE SURE YOU GET PAID, AND WHEN i CAN'T CHARGE MY LAPTOB IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO GETANYTHIN
G DONE STOP IT YOU KNOW WHO
YOU ARE

Please tell me you added more zip ties and hot glue after that email.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

porktree posted:

Triggered because I worked with Cobol in the 90s.

I almost worked with entirely with COBOL after college in the late 2000s, good thing that fell through.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

I would choke a bitch if they purposefully screwed around with mine.

Someone please do the needful.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Johnny Aztec posted:

His co-worker talked him into making an office meme that OP thought was remaining internal, and the co-worker posted it to reddit.

Well now we need to see it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Fool posted:

I'm less likely to vote this way than I am to vote at a polling place in person. Who the gently caress has stamps at home anymore? I'm not 70.

In my county in Colorado you don't need to stamp it, just drop it in any mailbox. Or the dropboxes setup for ballots. Or bring it to a poling center.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The internet is a creepy place.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Messy wiring closets kill souls.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If it's just for meetings and whatnot, we go with large rear end Vizio sets. For always on signage, Panasonic.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Pissing me off: This Dell SC5020. Do not buy these. I tried to get my company to go with Nimble or Pure but instead they went with this poo poo, where dedupe was patched in 2 revisions ago. Now we're out of space and have to buy more disks less then a year into owning this thing because it's not worth a single poo poo and uses loving tiering in an all-flash config, for some ungodly reason.

Also pissing me off: My wireless mouse scroll wheel keeps flipping around when I use it. Does anyone have a good full-size wireless mouse recommendation?

I'm actually debating on a few Unity XT boxes. Little more flexibility than Pure and cheaper.

Unsure how I feel about Nimble now after the HPE takeover. Our older units are all EoL because HPE wants to get their own chassis out there. We had a good amount invested in that old hardware.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Happy with the one Nimble we have so far, though I'm extremely paranoid about HPE turning it into poo poo (like they do with everything else). There were already warnings of that because when we started talking to Nimble they weren't bought yet and the quoting process was extremely easy, as in the sales guy sent me a spreadsheet of pricing immediately on request with no bullshit about registering opportunities and all that other crap. By the time we got to actually purchasing, HPE had locked it all behind their usual lovely sales process (not that they're the only ones, I hate every SAN vendor for doing this) and it was like pulling teeth to actually get the thing purchased. We ended up going through a VAR simply because that's how HPE does business and we couldn't just easily order the drat thing even though we knew what we wanted. I mean technically you can on the site but I firmly believe HPE makes their site a pile of poo poo on purpose so that ordering things off it becomes harder than just asking a VAR to spec the parts.

As far as HPE's own chassis, assuming the new one we have is from HPE, my biggest complaint would be that the thing's huge, depthwise. Something like 35-38" deep. (Also 4U, but eh). Seems absurd given that it's full of 2.5" flash drives and as far as I know they're not spaced depthwise through the unit and are all at the front. So far operations/configuration-wise however, no complaints, and given that no one has time to be a storage admin anymore I'm a big fan of the simplicity and ease of setup. Guess we'll see how long that lasts.

Yeah, my biggest gripe is dumping over 100tb of storage that still meets our performance requirements. Never had any issues with Nimble even after the HPE buyout, other than than hardware getting retired. It is understandable though.

I never looked at the depth of the newer "Gen 5" hardware, but will have to check it out. From my research it's super similar to the old Nimble Supermicro stuff. Shared backplane between two blades in the back.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

"They" are going to do an experiment by removing one cpu from a server and "seeing if it runs any faster"

vCPU? Got contention issues?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

All I know is I'm never further than 150 feet from a choco taco

You hiring? I have not had one of those in years....

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

"So what happens when VMware starts licensing by VM?"

Hey, MS switched data center from socket to cores. That was mildly annoying.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

What the gently caress

Seconding this notion.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

It doesn't matter that I am still saving the company a ton of money. What matters is now I am not saving AS MUCH money as I promised less than 24 hours ago and people will be mad.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

I gotta admit, TrackIT is probably one of the least-worst ticketing systems I’ve used/admined. Basic interface, queues for teams, get in, close the ticket, get out. Then again we were only using the ticket functionality and nothing else.

BMC? We purchased it when it was owned by Numera. They have abandoned our platform and are switching to an all web one (good), but have been moving features over at a snails pace, so we still can't upgrade after multiple years.

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/trackit2019/en/track-it-11-x-vs-track-it-20xx-852580873.html

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Virigoth posted:

Lol you have security analysts not security engineers. Fire them into the sun.

What if they were titled "Security Ninjas"?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

worked at a place who had a demarc in a closet in the mens room. You did not want to have to go in there after lunch

Someone needs to save you.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

The deal is so laughable that you can't overlook the obvious fraud taking place.

This. You just gotta see the bigger picture. Kickbacks!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Partycat posted:

System outage is ... my systems don’t go down. 3:1 resilience in VMs and auto rerouting via dial peers on my gateways for critical numbers

Living and dying as T1 Paris freeze and thaw is a way of life, mannnnn.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

We use Kerio email.

:smith:

What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT