Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

West Michigan/Holland; We need a 1099 programmer that's competent in php/Python/Linux with a tiny bit of C. Asterisk experience is a huge plus.

The job would be for at least 2 years and there's a 90% chance you would be moved to w2.

Edit* We are looking at full time@60$/hr.

Not a programmer, but jumping in to say that's boat money in west Michigan. One of my good friends just bought a ~1700 sqft house just outside Holland for $55k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Holy moly, if there's one thing that would make me YotJ out of here immediately, it's going somewhere with beer Fridays. Four years ago my department went out for a bowling + beers afternoon and someone in another department found out and loving tattled on us to a VP and welp that was the last time anything fun like that happened.

If you don't mind moving to the east side of the state, that pretty much pegs the IT department at Quicken in Detroit. I've been here since February and I'm still convinced it's a long con. They just sent at least one engineer from each team to Cancun for the weekend on the company dime.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sirotan posted:

poo poo, you made me paranoid enough to go look where it's sourced, and the label doesn't say. :mad:

Probably Detroit city water. That's what Aquafina is in Michigan

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Let us recount our worst I.T. work-related injuries, or the worst ones we've seen others sustain!

A few weeks ago I broke my tibia/fibula using a scooter to cross our giant building to get to a telecom closet. Turns out the janitor staff mopped the floors at 1am and didn't out up any signs, because no one works at 1am!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

pixaal posted:

If you notice it and its actually an issue that solving now will give me less of a headache tomorrow sure. I mean that as all file shares are down and it looks like the file share got cryptoed and you know what just restoring it tonight and having a few drinks will make my day so much easier than a bunch of users complaining about it in the morning.

If it's my password for email expired :fuckoff:

"I think my phone is broken, no one is answering when I call them today."

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Surely you can set up a rule to automatically read emails with this:

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/outlook-2010-automatically-read-email-with-speak-command/

And can you imagine how much management types would love it to have your DC alerts spoken like that?

We actually have audio alerts on our NOC for when emails with certain words in the subject line come in. I can't imagine having the entire email read.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Theoretically they should have been disconnected for a while, but there's plenty of places where nobody's wanted to hire an elevator repair guy to come out and do that.

This is news to me. They had to put up signs at work telling people to stop pressing it because they were closing the doors before people could get into the open elevators.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Most people aren't even running PS 5.1, why would they use VS Code

[ASK] me about PS 2.0 on production servers in my multibillion dollar company. :v:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Varkk posted:

Isn’t that the default on a Windows 2008r2/Exchange 2010 server?

Yep, we have a couple hundred 2008r2 with PS2.0 and winRM disabled by default.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Is 2008r2 still common in production? (That’s what we have...)

If I had to guess, probably 40-50% of our ~3600 (including test/beta) windows servers.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I've been on a fairly passive job hunt for the last month so I haven't been able to :420: at all

Come down to Detroit, QL doesn't test for anything :ssh:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

You're missing "integration" and "staging".

Sandbox and POC. (Our naming conventions are god awful)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Gatac posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Fleeting moments of happiness at work. See, I was actually happy that we managed to get unsolved tickets down to below 1300 this week. The count hasn't been below 1400 since last fall. At least we're finally touching stuff that was opened in December. (Low priority tickets, but still.) For comparison's sake, two years ago, we actually managed to get down below 200, though to be fair our old "normal" was more around 400-500. Four digits would have had klaxons ringing nonstop then, but after almost a year it feels like this is the new normal and we're sacrificing just about everything else on the altar of trying to get this pile burned down. Is lovely documentation you don't have the time/energy to work on still considered "technical debt" or is there a different shiny term for it?

Naturally, this is the perfect time to restructure our department, kick three experienced colleagues over to a new team with an ill-defined purpose and replace them with three newbies from another team, decree that everybody does their old tasks until things are properly transitioned but oh we can't transition tasks or start actual training because X is waiting on Y who are still trying to figure out Z but we moved people around anyway because arbitrary deadlines make everything better, here's a new coffee machine tho. Good luck have fun!

Incidentally, does anyone here have experience with Cherwell? We're considering going from an in-house kludge (Lotus Notes!) to that and I may have the political capital to either nix the move or significantly impact implementation.

We use Cherwell as our only ITSM. We're a fairly large company (17,000+) and we have roughly ten people administrating it. It's fairly customizable, but you definitely need people dedicated to it. If you get it set up badly to start, it'll never get fixed.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PremiumSupport posted:

This. Especially in the summer months.

I'm sorry but if the weather is nice and my family wants to take a drive to one of the local state parks and enjoy the day I'm drat straight going to call in. Luckily my company understands this and I can say "I'm taking vacation today because it's nice out" but I totally understand that many workplaces are not as flexible or understanding. Companies need to staff with absences in mind, not as exceptional events.

This is something we've had to beat into management over the past couple years. We're the only 24/7 team in the entirety of the company, and when I was hired in it was staffed by 7 people. We're up to 16 now, thankfully, and people can start burning off the 200+ hours of pto we have.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Our HR time off system has a fun glitch that it won't take more than 8 hours of PTO for a day, so for those of us that work 4x10, we take one less day of PTO for a week off. It's pretty great having 5 weeks of PTO after a year.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I'd call to see if they have chargers first and maybe send those along if they don't.

YOU MEAN THESE DON'T WORK FOREVER OFF A CHARGE?

I thought you said these were wireless?? Why do I have to plug it in?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

It’s really strange how people got the impression that running in the cloud doesn’t mean that you still need to architect your stuff in a way that can cope with data centre outages - none of the platforms hide the fact that there are multiple regions that you need to choose from, and all the presentations I’ve seen delivered have put the onus on the customer to build the resilience and security.

Is there a bunch of marketing being delivered to CEOs that says the cloud solves all the problems, and they veto any plans by ops teams to deploy in multiple regions?

We had a decent outage on our main website due to a us-east-1 outage a while back. Turns out our site that's big enough to pay for a superbowl ad for doesn't really need cross-az or cross-region availability!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

WhoNeedsAName posted:

:cheers:

Here's hoping that your backups are good.

:10bux: that the backups are on the SAN.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

APPDATA\Microsoft\Windows\PowerShell\PSReadline\ConsoleHost_history.txt

Will list every command you've typed into the console, but I don't think it includes the output.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Bro you need to gtfo of manufacturing and also probably Flint. UM ITS is going to be posting ~40 open positions any day now, I can PM you when that goes live if you have any interest? Even Detroit has a better tech job market if you don't want to move to the rental hell that is Ann Arbor.

Seriously, Ann Arbor or Detroit would be a huge step up in the job market.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks to :911: foodservice or even helpdesk means choosing between rent and the medicine I need to stay alive.

E: anyone hiring for a junior AWS or k8s guy? I could probably get a cert within a month or two if I wasn’t dead inside by the time I got home every day.

Absolutely, but the job is in Detroit.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Applied for a Linux admin job for an actual software company the other day

QL is hiring Linux engineers like crazy if you can stand getting closer to Detroit .

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

Who charges you yearly?

Our identity platform charges us yearly per user record in our DB, it's incredible.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

I am having similiar issues, but I ordered through amazon. Somewhat less at stake, thankfully.

What's this 'amazon logistics' crap? Are they new? Another parcel service? just another garbage delivery service, or some special hell where they bought a competitor? Symptoms include: tracking information nonexistant, behind time, no updates on where it actually IS in transit.

USPS at least gets to my door, all the time. A feat which usp and fedex can't seem to manage.

It's uber, but for amazon deliveries. With all the same kinds of checks and balances (none).

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Ugh, customers that sign up to cloud hosted services but run a default deny rule on outbound traffic are great. Even better when the only way they have of managing outbound connections is to write L3 rules into some Cisco router and any sort of automated ingestion of ranges from AWS isn't possible, and neither is just inspecting the DNS requests and allowing traffic through based on that.

“We just want to run software in the cloud, not have our app talk over the internet!”

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I use an iOS app named “Number Shield” that lets me block entire area codes or exchanges. I think it was maybe $5, but 100% worth it. It automatically exempts contacts from the blocklist too.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I hope you called him an ambulance because that sounds like some stroke level poo poo.

edit: This week I finished an interview in about 7 minutes because a recruiter managed to gently caress up a job description and misrepresent the requirements completely.

I made it 10 minutes into one today before the recruiter dropped the "oh, this is 12-18 months contract to hire, no big deal right?"

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

If I could implement some sort of chaos monkey for IP addresses, I would. Change that poo poo every 9 minutes. Catch out all those things requiring an IP to be static. loving hell.

We have static IPs for physical machines that are sorted by vlan so that the network team can know what vlan a server is in without having to look it up. It's the dumbest thing.

edit:

also the teams using IP based (/32 cidr) security groups to allow k8s pods to talk to their RDS, and getting mad at us when their pods cycled and changed the IP addresses.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The Fool posted:

move to cloud infra, then you can argue with people about what sku's they're using and its always because they're over provisioned

“Yes, I understand when this app was on prem it had a server with 4 cores and 8gb of memory, but that server was also hosting 35 other IIS apps. You really don’t need to provision your k8s pods with 4 cores and 8gb ram.”

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I heard it pronounced before I ever saw it written, so I've always just assumed the guy who told me was right.

My previous employer ran a bunch of nginx and a CMS called "ingeniux". I got them confused all the time.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

klosterdev posted:

What on earth could posses a company to only want some of their users on MFA.

At least I got the risk acknowledgement in writing.

My previous company (major financial company, Super Bowl ad kind of big) is rolling out 100% optional mfa for clients this winter. There’s currently no plans to force it on anyone, and you only need a username and password to view your sensitive financial docs. Instead of convincing them how bad an idea it was, I quit and went somewhere else.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I can not emphasize enough how much I hated managing an on prem Elasticsearch cluster.

Just writing queries and making visualizations, sure all day every day. But the hell with managing it beyond that.

My first major project starting at the new company last summer was "hey, so we have this ancient ELK stack deployed via chef, opsworks, and cloudformation that hasn't been touched since 2018, could you do something about it?" My suggestion of "burn it all down and just ship everything to a logging PaaS" was unfortunately not taken seriously.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

deploy a new eck cluster and do a remote reindex

It’ll still suck but it’ll be easier to manage that way

I migrated it to an aws open search managed instance and put logstash in eks. Handed the keys off to a dev team and now I’m trying to forget I ever touched it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Silly Newbie posted:

You can't convince me that these are real things and you aren't doing a bit.
Also I initially read that as "do a remote reindeer" and I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

My life would’ve been so much better for the past month if it was a bit. Turns out upgrading from logstash/filebeat 2.4 to 8.6 isn’t the easiest thing?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not just working with people who are clueless, it's working with people who are clueless and loving poo poo up, while being prevented from doing actual work by bad processes. You'll then get it in the neck from the same management who ignored your requests to fix stuff when something does happen to the exact stuff you requested to fix.

Infosec at my last company told us they weren’t approving any more smb shares, and were going to start prisma alerting on them. They didn’t seem to have any idea what an smb share was, or the impact of unilaterally deciding to ban them with no notice. Some VP rained fire in them and had it reversed in about a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Well, it was a good run. https://www.hashicorp.com/blog/hashicorp-joins-ibm