Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Thanks cisco, for putting a different cpu model in that replacement UCS blade. Not like I wanted to be able to migrate VMs to it or anything.

Thanks citrix, for having no documentation on your pool cpu feature set flattening. Nice to know you have to fully power down your VMs to pick up the changes, and not just reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Hour and a half at a client site and I still don't have an account to do anything with. Completely unprepared for me to even be here today. I billing them for this? You betcha.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 21, 2016

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

hihifellow posted:

Hour and a half at a client site and I still don't have an account to do anything with. Completely unprepared for me to even be here today. I billing them for this? You betcha.

They may have already done what I came here to do holy loving lol did I just drive an hour and a half down here for nothing

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I have a Gmail account from gmail beta and a yahoo account i use for spam that has been around since the mid 90s.

I let the aol account go.

Was the beta back when it was invite only (and they handed out like 5 invites to anyone that made an account)? That's when I picked up mine.

Had a hotmail account that was from the mid 90s but I lost the info to it a long time ago.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Everyone I've met that said "pound" also said "whack" for / or \.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

stevewm posted:

We use a web based time clock. Some of our branch managers reported some weird issues this morning.

You had one job time clock.....

Never met a time clock app that wasn't completely terrible. Maybe it's the whole made-for-and-sold-to HR thing.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

stevewm posted:

Silverlight (Did anyone actually ever use this?)

Unidesk uses it unfortunately.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

10 seconds in and he's wearing socks with sandals how does this man manage to be terrible at everything.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Adobe is a poo poo company.

Wikipedia posted:

An adobe brick is a composite material made of earth mixed with water and an organic material such as straw or dung.

Shitbrick describes their software pretty well.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Polio Vax Scene posted:

One of our best resigned this week.
It feels like there's a few pillars holding up a huge roof and one of them just got blown to bits.

One of our citrix guys resigned this week as well, leaving just me, my boss, one local guy, and one a couple states away to handle citrix for our region.

On the plus side, we don't really have any citrix work coming in so I get to keep doing this win 7 to win 10 project! :suicide:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Ataxerxes posted:

So that's a Win-Win situation your are in?

oh my god

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Good security practices and backups make ransomware a mild inconvenience, so going "a department lost a few hours of work but it could have been much worse" doesn't quite have the same impact as "your poo poo is gone, go home and we'll tell you when we found a month old backup that kind of works, try not to do this again".

Unrelated note, is this recruiter insane or am I really hamstringing myself by trying to keep my resume to one page? For a while now I've had to take a chainsaw to my work experience to keep it at one page.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

"Oh hey I need you to finish that assessment document by today while you're working on that extremely needy client. I was supposed to tell you to work on it over the weekend but I forgot."

CAN BE SURE AS poo poo I'M NOT GONNA FORGET TO TELL YOU I'M QUITTING THIS WEEK.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

I love netscalers, I think they're wonderful pieces of hardware that do their job well and intuitively once you work with them for a while, and there's not a whole lot of people who know how to work them so it's a good skill to have.

Except when there might be network issues, then they are Satan's own proxy.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Holy poo poo I'm angry for this guy by proxy.

I just had to cancel a week long vacation 2 days in and drive back 4 hours for a server incident I fixed remotely because "the CEO needed to see me".

Like how this guy didn't quit on the spot I have no idea.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Boy this recruiter is really excited about this junior helpdesk position, he's emailed me 4 times in an hour about it and is now starting to call! Why yes, I would love to take a pay cut and a reduction in responsibilities and title, and I'm not annoyed at all!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How'd he even get your info / inclination you're willing to entertain his offer?

Put your resume up on one job site and they'll never stop, ever.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

I see some of the guys at work do this, spend all day on a webex with clients fixing something and while I'm sure it does wonders for your numbers I'd want to die by hour 4.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Sirotan posted:

If anyone else is having major issues with Comcast today, it's not just you!! https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/outages/2017-November/010891.html

Looks like today was a good day to put in my notice after all.

Edit: looks like the problem might be upstream, at level3

Explains why the office connection just went to crap.

Edit: downdetector.com says just about everything spiked recently so it's pretty widespread.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 6, 2017

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I assume they never considered somebody might want to do it, and provide nothing to help you. I'd be tempted to try and swing through a Hybrid setup but that's a lot of effort.

Oh they did, and will do it for you, if you're the kind of org that signs multi-million dollar contract agreements with Microsoft.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Eat poo poo Azure, next time don't advertise the NV series as being available in a region then lock people out of them, if I have to tear down this project and rebuild it in another region I will tear your data centers apart with my bear hands

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

How the gently caress do you type with bear hands?

Carefully, and with a large stock of replacement keyboards

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My biggest problem - I am the run-on king.

Also only one person who quoted me noticed my grammar mistakes? I thought it was a pretty clever post.

To subtle.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

"Hey I just need a few minutes of your time to go over the status of this project"

The status is I'm still behind because everyone and their dog keeps asking for a few minutes of my tiMEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASAZAAASASZSSAfuck

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Okay, someone tell me that I'm dumb, but LDAP shouldn't do this.
Client is trying to authenticate over LDAP with our equipment. Should auto-populate user email address on user login. They only want users from a particular group to be able to authenticate.
If I point the search base at the user's group, LDAP authenticates but doesn't populate the email.
If I point the search base at the base DC, it provides the email.(Uh)
Also, if I point the search base at the user's group, non-group users can still login just fine.(Wtf)
It makes no sense!

Search base is where the ldap lookup starts at. Think of it like looking for a file in a directory tree, you can start at the root and search every sub directory, or if you know roughly where it is you can start further up the tree and not search everything.

You want a filter if you want to constrain to a certain group.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

Being 100% unsupervised and uninterrupted at work actually owns though. You can work on side projects or catch up on poo poo or mash F5 on your favorite website if you want.

Most of the office is on vacation this week and the next and I'm pretty much by myself for most of the day so I loaded stardew valley on my laptop (it's mine, not the company's, went byod after the laptop they gave me turned out to be a brick in the shape of a laptop) and did some farming while waiting for image updates to process. It's a pretty good game to play in short spurts, helpfully pauses when it loses focus.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

The IT office is in the original shack.

The roof! The roof!

The 66 blocks and stuff are documented on those laminated sheets on the floor. It was a pain in the rear end to make those but they are a big help.

Please catch on fire.

Saving those IBM typewriters (there's like 5 behind it) because...I don't know why

When you said "if I go up in to this one attic I can see the roof" I thought you meant through a window but NOPE they just built around a shack like loving kowloon walled city.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Literal poo poo pissing me off. The one toilet in the bathroom looks like a poo poo bomb went off in the bowl. The other looks like someone poo poo a pint of blood in to it :gonk:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Agrikk posted:

It says full access. But all I can create are folders.

Is the full access applied to the administrators group or domain admins? Explorer can't elevate and grab the admin kerberos ticket per UAC so it'll just say you don't have access if you try to do something instead.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Haven't written a cover letter in years, but I'm at the stage in my career where I can put my resume up on the internet and the jobs will come to me. Personally I think they're a terrible idea, the skills required to write a good cover letter are almost completely useless in IT unless you're writing press copy or something.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Aaaaaaaaaa! Citrix you assholes, make it perfectly clear when you HA a pair of netscalers which one will be the primary and which one will be the secondary, and don't sync them right away! Days of configs overwritten by a fresh netscaler deciding it was going to be the primary.

Configs are saved to disk and cycled out, not overwritten, so restoring only took a few minutes, but still! :livintrope:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Speculum laptop will always be king in my eyes :barf:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Humphreys posted:

Not pissing me off! Cash income outside of work!

I guess years of sitting on console modding forums and having a good soldering ability means $$$ .Local youngsters/hipsters on FB wanting their 'retro' consoles modded means easy money. Got $100 for soldering Composite sockets to a Sega Master System and $50 to put FMCB on a PS2 Memory Card. I didn't set prices, just "hey mate, pay what you think its worth + parts if applicable".

A friend of mine is a systems analyst but makes decent money on the side by fixing up and reselling light bars (as in the bars that sit on top of cop cars) that he sources locally and then ships out. He found a market for his hobby and took advantage of it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

They got it all back together!

doesn't work :(

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPlhoOIC8g

lol it's a printer death rattle

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Working through an office 2010 to o365 upgrade and some of the pilot users are pointing out that if they leave excel files open when they undock and take their laptop home, sometimes it'll throw an error when they try to save while on the vpn and they swear up and down it didn't happen in 2010 and I do not believe them at all

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

You mean improved buzzword workflow and increased paradigm dynamics in a modern workplace layout no nobody involved in this decision is giving up their office why would you think that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Got a "you seem disinterested" talk from my boss earlier and it finally pushed me to call this job a wash.

So far its been either overflow desktop support or junior admin stuff (handle tickets, "proactively learn the environment" (like they have anything special beyond the normal vmware/veaam/AD/citrix setup with SAP), document some existing stuff) when the description was for a higher level system administrator role. I held out since it was a net new position and I understand it'll take time to fit in to a team that's been working together for 10+ years but all I get is the scraps they don't want to deal with while my boss is pushing me to be disruptive and holy heck I wanted less stress from this job, not more than my last one. They even knew I was looking for something more low key when I interviewed so I have no idea where the disconnect happened.

Really looking forward to doing the job search thing again! :jerkbag: