Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Dazerbeams posted:

Regina's dress is gorgeous!

Her sense of style post-curse is about half the reason I watch the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not thrilled with it because it's such shameless fanservice. Now sure, OUAT is basically professionally-produced fanfiction as it is, so at least for the moment it's just a minor nitpick if the writers don't make a habit of it.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Troposphere posted:

How in the world is it shameless fanservice? They've changed so much about the original fairytales, but changing someone's sexuality is fanservice? Best not make a habit of queer representation, that's just tacky :rolleyes:

It's pretty much the dictionary definition of fanservice. The issue is not that it involves changing someone's sexuality, the issue is that it involves changing someone's sexuality for the benefit of a fan community that literally had a nickname (Sleeping Warrior(!)) for the pairing.

Again, not a problem in and of itself, but not something I hope they make a habit of.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Let's not kid ourselves, the beautiful lesbian warrior trope is practically de rigeur in fantasy TV. It hasn't exactly been a bold statement since at least the Xena era. It just strikes me as lazy pandering. But this is just my personal sense of aesthetics and I don't claim it's objectively correct or anything.

Now something like a gay male character of average looks (say, one of the dwarves), that would've been an interesting and novel choice.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I tremendously enjoyed the not one but two "Why would she ever like you, you're just a handsome pirate with a heart of gold?" exchanges. Dude. Have you ever even met a woman?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Patchouli Patrol posted:

I'm glad Regina learned a new murder trick. The heart thing was stale.

Snow considering the whole heart mind control thing beyond the pale is pretty weird anyway. It's effective, nonlethal, reversible, and apparently not even particularly unpleasant.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Barehanded Brother posted:

Well she's had it done to herself so I can imagine her feeling it's unpleasant. Also the nonlethal and reversible things aren't necessary, and certainly not to be expected when Regina's doing it.

Sure, but Charming has straight-up shot at people, and that's leaving aside the trail of sword-shanked bodies they left in their wake during their pre-curse Enchanted Forest insurgency. That said, I can imagine Snow in particular being a little traumatized by the thought after that incident involving tricking a person into killing their own mother via the same technique.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Could be Pan just stuffed her in there when Emma and crew showed up. Protective custody or whatever.

That said, it wouldn't be the first time the show actually went a lot darker than it looks at first glance. This season is currently asking us to root for casually murderous sociopaths, after all.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

:science: The Brain of the Truest Skeptic.

The increasingly overwrought family tree notwithstanding, I'm relatively pleased with this season so far. I do wish that with all the dramatic confrontations between ludicrously powerful sorcerers though, one of them would actually end in a straight up magical duel. Come on, you're the Dark One. Quit screwing around and call down an asteroid strike or something.

Oh, and anyone else immediately jump to this before the box was revealed to be Pandora's?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Barehanded Brother posted:

The best part of the episode by far is when Regina goes full Schwarzenegger at the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNr0WXQ3Ho4

One of the most entertaining scenery-chewing lines in an episode full of them. The whole "I regret nothing" bit was just as good, and so was both ends of the Robert Carlisle spectrum with Rumpelstiltskin in jail and Gold in his shop. And I can never resist Lana Parilla in those storybrook mayor ensembles. Good episode.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

KasioDiscoRock posted:

They'd better not be setting up the whole prophesy to have Pan-as-Henry kill off Rumple, or I (and a lot of people) will be very pissed. I suppose they could work it somehow that his downfall will be losing his powers or something instead of dying, but that would still change a pretty huge dynamic of the show.

Pretty much the entire point of the "make a deal with a with the devil-type-creature" fairy tales is that word choice is ludicrously specific and important. "Undoing" as opposed to something like death or doom is pretty obviously a setup for having his Dark One status removed. I would also be a little surprised if they didn't save that for the series finale, since as you point out he's a fan favorite and large portions of the plot require him to have magic.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

It does more or less kill the conspiracy that Blue was secretly a master villain pulling the puppet strings from the background. Poor Grumpy though.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Wait why poor Grumpy? Grumpy was into Nova/Astrid, not the blue fairy

Oh yeah crap, I forgot that was someone else. I guess he's still just the usual level of grump.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Rule One of the fantasy genre: if there's not a body, they're not dead.

Really though that whole sequence didn't make a lot of sense to me. Why was the dagger required, and why did both of them have to get shanked? I don't remember their lives being magically tied or anything like that.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

dog kisser posted:

I enjoyed Snow's "K Regina I know you're going to whine about this but come with us and hang out I'm not going to be a bitch about it this time, promise"

That boggles my mind: "hey Regina, the townspeople will be comforted if we put on a united front".

Uh huh. Regina may not quite be literally Hitler, but she's about Genghis Khan levels of evil. Mass murder, individual murder, patricide, slavery, rape, and that's just off the top of my head. Sure the writing kind of forces you to root for her, but sometimes the whiplash strains credulity even by the standards of this show.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

effervescible posted:

I'm guessing the curse-kiss only works on Emma since Hook invoked her name, but it would have been hilarious if Hook kissed Zelena and solved all their problems.

True Love's Kiss is the universal antidote to curses, so maybe it's kind of a self-eating watermelon? :shrug:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

foxatee posted:

Look, man, you wanna preserve a heart with magic? That's okay with me. You want to rip a heart in half? Now that's just crossing the line!

From a storytelling perspective it is pretty bizarre. It retroactively makes a lot of the previous heart-based deaths look unnecessary, and does so in the service of a plot beat ("oh no, Charming's dead!") whose dramatic tension is zero due to the fact that it's a flashback and he's alive in the present.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I really wish the heroes would come up with a better battle plan than "stand in front of villain and point weapons without firing until we're duly disarmed". Come on, guys. Bust out the flashbangs. Set up snipers. Pump the hospital lobby full of carbon monoxide. Detonate a truck bomb in the street as she walks by.

Macaluso posted:

Kind of sad to see Rumple straight up lie and trick Belle like that, but I was also annoyed when Regina stopped him from having his revenge on her so I'm glad he was able to

When it comes right down to it, Rumple and Regina are mass-murdering lunatics. Lovable ones to be sure, but personally I'm glad to see at least one of them still has some of that season 1 bite.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

fork bomb posted:

The shattering and green smoke thing was super weird. Rumple stabbed her with his dark one dagger so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

The shattering is probably just his typical theatrics. Just killing somebody doesn't have panache, he's got to turn them into a snail and step on them or something. The smoke is pretty clearly meant to convey that the green gemstone is a one ring/horcrux or similar.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

foxatee posted:

Glob dammit. I know that was the rumor, but I cannot be the only one sick of this loving Frozen obsession.

(Pretty sure I'm the only one.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to see how in turns out OUAT style. But really Tangled was better.

And poor Regina. Woman just can't catch a friggin' break.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Merlinicus posted:

I honestly almost died of laughter when this happened. To be fair, it's entirely Regina's fault (better life choices might have lead to a not-evil-queen scenario), so acting like she's the victim here is a little excessive.

Oh sure. She's one of my favorite parts of the show, but as I've said before she's pretty much girl Hitler. The whiplash as she as she lurches from sympathetic mother to genuinely deranged mass murderer and back a couple times a season does sometimes lapse into silliness.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I was and am a little concerned about the risks of going from "creepy versions of fairy tales" to "live action Kingdom Hearts", but so far so good. I'm also a little worried about the possibility of another time travel arc. Those tend to be really dangerous to the internal coherence of stories which are not explicitly about time paradoxes. We'll see.

The book and the wizard hat? It could have been (and still might become) super cheesy, but I have to say I'm intrigued.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, it's not fair to nitpick plausibility in a show whose premise is Disney characters living in Maine, but the writers were just a little lazy in making up a reason Gold couldn't save Emma. Dude can teleport, come on. Just say they couldn't find him in time or something, what with him being on sex vacation and all.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

ashez2ashes posted:

I really don't like how Belle is standing meekly and quietly behind Rumple every time he's a jerk to someone and/or doesn't help. Their relationship is creepy enough, but now she feels like she's lost her spirit too.

I think it's mostly a function of needing to remind the audience they're still around even though the plot has nothing for them to do yet. But the writers are Chekhov's Gun-ing that Belle/dagger issue pretty hard, so you'd probably be safe to assume the whole thing will hit the fan at some point.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

You can read subtext into the Emma flashback if you want, but man, the text itself takes this show's psychodrama about blood and adoption to new heights.

Emma wants to be adopted but isn't. Her friend is adopted but wants blood parents. Who'd have thought that only a decade later she'd be giving up her own kid for adoption to a woman who's being manipulated by the kid's grandfather in order to find his own son, who himself ran away from home due to bad parenting which included the murder of his mother, who was herself involved with the man who Emma's currently dating...

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

All right, is there any main cast member, good or evil, series-long or season-long, whose primary plot arc isn't "trying to resolve familial abandonment issues"?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

ashez2ashes posted:

If bringing her back actually addressed that too I'd be okay with that. And Granny is out of control too. Remember when that mob came after your granddaughter? Sheesh lady.

Speaking of, the Charmings were pretty quick to throw Anna under the bus. It's not even necessarily an unreasonable position to take, but usually they're willing to go out on a limb for family. It's one of their few endearing traits.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Something that's been lacking a bit in Once recently is that sense of mystery and menace that magic carried in the first season or two. This episode really brought it back.

Robert Carlisle is knocking it out of the park, no surprise. That conversation with Regina in the car, and his being forced outside the town line - fantastic work.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Marion is obviously an underdeveloped character but it seems reasonable to believe that she's got basic observational and social skills and has spent the last few weeks hearing stories about Regina and seeing her place in Storybrooke. I think it was ok, really. She didn't just accept that Regina had changed. She fought it quite a bit and then Regina saved her life. Even then it took more heroics by Regina and time in Storybrooke for her to get to the point of that conversation. Assuming Marion is the strong and rational person she seems to be there had to be a point where she realized any entire town of people who were terrorized by the Evil Queen can't just be covering for her when they tell stories of how she's become a hero. It just so happens that that time is dictated by the winter finale, but outside of them making Marion a much bigger character I think it was going to feel the same anyway.

I pretty much just let all that stuff go. We root for Regina after a lifetime of murders both mass and personal just because she's pretty and charismatic, so we're just gonna have to accept that the morality of a fairy tale universe is necessarily drawn with an eye to a good story rather than anything resembling realism. Because if she were real, she'd pretty much be Pol Pot.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

fork bomb posted:

They did a good job with Cruella's driving style in this episode. It was spot on to the 101 Dalmatians cartoon movie, "road hungry" and a bit erratic.

While I'm still not really thrilled with the show going to almost exclusively explicit Disney fairy tales, they really have done a great job with the new characters being true to personality and mannerisms of the films. Silly as the Frozen arc was, Anna and Elsa were dead-on flawless.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Seriously? Belle fell for that?

Yeah, I loved that. "If you're in town, come and face me." *Hook turns his whole body and stares her in the face*

(Though ok, at they least had the decency to do it in a slightly more subtle wide shot. )

Dazerbeams posted:

"Prove to us you're evil. Take a shot!"

This too.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wait, so Storybrooke, shielded from the world with magic has a train and GOOGLE loving MAPS?!

This too.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I don't mind that they changed Ariel and Triton's race, but I have very real problems with her stealing Snow White's outfit.

:eng101: Ursula and Poseidon. Ariel's the one that looks like Amy Adams. Though ditto on the roomful of pirates.

I just have to marvel at how easy portal-making has become. It used to be a season-spanning project requiring dark curses and mass murder and now it's "find some random mermaid to do it".

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Private Label posted:

So Pam/Maleficent's daughter is named Lilith?

But wow, Snow and Charming. Kidnapping a baby with the express purpose of twisting her into evil, just so they could wouldn't have to inconvenience themselves being the kinds of parents who could raise their child with a conscience. :stare:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Dazerbeams posted:

Once again, rather than have a legitimate relationship stand in the way of true love, the other woman is actually evil.

It's for the best. In a Disney universe you can't plausibly have a hero abandoning his wife (and young child) to hook up with the genocidal despot who unjustly put her on death row.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

GLOSS posted:

Well so much for the villains having some sort of redeeming quality, Cruella is pretty much the single most evil entity that's been on this show yet...

On the other hand, she never kidnapped a baby, poisoned its soul, and remained unrepentant about it decades later...

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

nelson posted:

I don't like that killing someone who is threatening to kill a child and is pointing a gun at said child's head is considered murder in this world. This is textbook justifiable homicide and it's stupid that the writers think this should turn Emma's heart black.

And they insinuated that it was evil particularly because Cruella couldn't actually harm him, despite the fact that no one could possibly know that. That's a somewhat flummoxing view of right and wrong.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Sure, I just think it's a 100% open-and-shut black-and-white obvious decision that the Right Thing To Do in response to a serial killer holding a gun on a child is to do whatever it takes to save the kid. Now it's really remarkable how many Disney villains have a tendency to fall off cliffs so the heroes don't have to actively kill them, but even then a few villains have gotten straight-up stabbed by the good guys in similar situations, including two in this arc: Maleficent and Ursula.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Oh, and I can already see the foreshadowing with Emma handing Regina Chekhov's gun. While it'll never happen, I do like the image of Regina just plugging Zelena in the back in an alley while she's making a grocery run.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh my god this is just getting absurd now.

Normal crazy: "Robin, your wife was murdered in the past and replaced by a shapeshifting witch! You have to get away from her!"
Next-level crazy: "I can't, she's pregnant!"

I'd also like to see the actual conversation where a clearly deranged homeless bum convinces an otherwise sane young woman that she is in fact the daughter of Disney's Maleficent, after having been cursed by Disney's Snow White and Prince Charming in a fit of pique. Especially since as far as we know, he wouldn't have any access to corroborating magic in this world, and the physical evidence of the existence of Storybrooke is inaccessible.

On the other hand, the last few episodes have been tremendously entertaining. This show is really at its best when it embraces the absurdity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Am I alone in thinking the scene with the gun was really tense? I honestly thought it could go either way, especially when they did the zoom out before the commercial and they were all basically in silhouettes and it was completely silent. Pissed off/nearly evil Emma is the most interesting Emma tbh

That was a nice camera shot. For a second there I really did think it wasn't out of the realm of possibility.

But then is it even possible within the mythology of the show? Is Emma metaphysically capable of large acts of evil? How can she "turn dark" in the first place when her parents successfully committed a genuine atrocity that's supposed to magically prevent just that thing? And of all the revenges in this show, isn't Lilly's among the most justified? And how can Lilly be evil without industrial-strength cleavage?

:iiam:

• Locked thread