Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Look, guys, we really want to do this "Darryl joins a bandit group" storyline, so we had some unseen characters come and abduct Beth from the plot off-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I, for one, will be disappointed if there isn't eventually a band of cannibals introduced for antagonists. Gotta have some cannibals in post-apocalypse stories.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Never trust dogs in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

I really hope the show just offs half the survivors in the remaining episodes. I feel like it's loosing steam, and heading into Woodbury 2.0 for next season (gee I wonder if they are all going to reunited in Terminus?)
For example, I feel like having Beth die in the zombie attack would've been much stronger than having some mystery characters abduct her from the plot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Didn't Milton have his sleeves wrapped in duct tape or something? Get some duct tape.

But clearly all the characters should just dress like Rosita, she knows what's up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

3. They will all reunite at Terminus, fade to black, see you in the fall.
Yeah, everybody should come to terms with the probable fact that you won't be seeing Terminus at all until the finale, and you won't see it in full until next season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

That dog wanted the stash for himself, so he lured over a zombie horde to clear out the humans.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

euphronius posted:

I have no idea what goons mean by "good writing" or "bad writing." I usually just read it as "I did not like it" or "I liked it".
I just wish people would be more specific. I someone acting out of character? Did something happen in the plot that violated the setting's logic? Etc.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be fair given her size, she'd be the least dangerous walker out there. Except maybe the zombaby.

It would still be a needlessly silly thing to do. Show's better when the characters do smart things.

Grin and Tonic posted:

edit: At this point, though, I'm thinking TERMINUS is gonna be some kinda death camp.
They gotta be cannibals. Cannibals are a staple of post-apocalypse stories.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Full Fathoms Five posted:

It is a bit surprising simply because Of Mice and Men is basically required reading in every high school in the US, or every single one I've ever come across.

Not in mine, though I did catch the Sinise/Malkovich movie back then.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Merle's death was the culmination of his redemption arc, so that was okay. Dale's death felt like, "The viewers don't like this guy, and we can't come up with anything interesting for him to do, so let's suddenly write him off the show".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's not like anyone knew the girls were ever with them, so no one would ask them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

I was running through my head of everything that actually happened that season, Glenn and Maggie hook up, alright, Shane goes insane, alright, Dale dies for no reason, kind of dumb, Sophia goes missing and dies, alright, Carl gets hurt and gets better, Hershell reluctently comes to terms with the apocalypse and joins the group for the finale. That's really it, no idea how they even managed to shove all that into so many goddamn episodes.
I'll never forget one of most thoroughly stupid scenes in the entire series of them lowering Glenn into the well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What I thought made the well thing stupid right at the bat, even before the Glenn-dangling plan, was that they had absolutely no reason to assume that the zombie sitting and slowly decomposing in the well for who knows how long didn't already make the water too contaminated to drink. If they had an arguably rational reason to believe that getting the zombie out would make the water okay, then you can possibly argue that the Glenn-dangling was just reckless. But as it was, I'd say it was brainless. It was a bad scene.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Seems like the director realized that Rosita's initial costume was silly after all and made her look more setting-appropriate.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think Joe is going to survive the season. I figure the finale is going to be Rick & company vs the claim bandits, and Joe will die. If Terminus is cannibals, it'll probably be a last minute reveal and the meat of that will be covered in Season 5.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cute n Popular posted:

but I refuse to believe they are cannibals just because how utterly cliche and stupid it would be.
Cannibal groups are a staple of post-apocalypse stories. It has to be done eventually. Introducing Terminus with a big barbecue seems like a strong hint.

This show is not above cliches, let's be honest.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 24, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Dexter had lots of problems that weren't about cliches. Cliches aren't dramatically challenging, but they can be made popcorn entertaining.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They're just makin' a little joke about how there seems to be an infinite supply of still-edible food to scavenge.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm waiting for, after everyone's reunited, Rick to pressure him to finally reveal something, and it completely contradicts something they learned from the scientist at the CDC.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Naet posted:

Am I the only one hoping Terminus is an actual safe haven? It'd be interesting to see how relationships develop in a relatively harmless environment, at least for awhile. At the very least, it would make the 'go to DC' decision have some weight and we could lose characters based on that rather than "oh, they're dead now."
These aren't the sort of dramatic writers that could make this interesting to watch. I think it would turn out very boring and the show would shed viewers. These writers are more inclined to go with violence, gore and suspense, and in this case, I think that's cannibals.

Codependent Poster posted:

Are people trying to rationalize why people being cannibals makes no sense? Uh, if they're cannibals they probably aren't very rational and really like eating people.
It's inefficient! Don't you understand? Inefficient!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If only Terra Nova was still around, they could've done a crossover episode with zombie dinosaurs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I just watched this recent movie about a cannibal family where Kuru is featured prominently too. Though if Terminus is cannibals, I'm not expecting it to come up, Mary seemed normal.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Its gonna be like the farm season all over again.

"I'm not going to eat people. That isn't the way we do things!"
"Just think about it."

Rick's gonna be like, "We're guests here. It's their house, we have to respect their rules." while he chows on a Beth burger.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

Why is cannibalism being discussed?
Because lots of people think that Terminus might be cannibals?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Also our introduction to Terminus is a lady cooking slabs of meat on a big barbecue and "we'll make you a plate". It just seems like the writers are winking really hard at us.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, unless there's another preview, I don't recall seeing any new characters, with or without shaking hands. Just a lot vague Rick/Carl/Michonne scenes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

An alternative to the "TO SERVE MAN" interpertation of that line.... maybe they make human-ceramic dishes like a serial killer from the tv show hannibal.
In a world like this, you don't want to waste any part of the human.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

I want an in universe explanation. Somewhere there's a community of saints, still producing hundais, and leaving them in the wasteland for scavangers to use.
They're hoping that people will eventually drive those Hyundais to their Hyundai plant so that they can eat them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

If they're going to go the cannibal route, I hope that it's more of a morally grey thing. Like maybe they eat only people who have already died. I feel like they already did the sadistic "kill people to eat them" cannibal route in season 2, but I might be confusing it with the video game.
Depends on what you think is more likely: that Terminus is behind the Beth-napping, or another yet-introduced group.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's just one of those random theories that someone throws out on the Internet, and it spreads because not a lot of people go check.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I wonder if Glenn's lie about where Tara came from is the end of that, or if they're gonna squeeze any drama out of Maggie and all eventually finding out that she was with the Governor's group.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Max Awfuls posted:

I suppose eating a dead person's meat would carry the risk of killing you much the same way as a bite, so they'd keep them alive while they carved them up. At least that's how they went about it in the cannibal story in the vídeo game and that makes sense if you factor what we know about the vírus up until now.
Also, it's icky.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Toaster Ding posted:

No, but I wouldn't eat a person either. I just figure, if we're going to go full cannibal, and everyone in the universe is already all infected anyways - is there really _that_ much of a difference?
Maybe you're not in extra danger from the zombie virus, but what about all the normal reasons why we don't rotten meat?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What the heck does "hope" have to do with anything? I just thought the Terminus/Mary's introduction was winking "cannibal" at us. And it gives sense to the Beth-napping, if that's connected.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I really don't think its stupider than anything else that can possibly happen on a popcorn zombie show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

JEEVES420 posted:

I have and I have seen the movie. Both are really hosed up in that aspect. However that story is based off a nuclear apocalypse where in animals or farming is impossible. Food was much more scarce in that scenario. In a zombie apocalypse animals, food, scavenging is still very viable so quickly turning to cannibalism makes much less sense. Where, in a world where you are trying your hardest to not be eaten by the walking dead, do you stop and see someone getting eaten and think "you know that looks pretty drat good"

I feel like we're edging closer to a discussion on how one would behave in a "real" zombie apocalypse. I only recently started posting in this thread after a break from watching the show for a couple years, so I don't know how often that happens.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

That DICK! posted:

I'm perfectly happy to be wrong, but the fervor with which people are advocating for the cannibalism thing makes me think this is something ripped from the comics that people are latching onto so they can consider themselves world class detectives.
Honestly, I think most of the fervor is from people that are 100% sure that it isn't cannibalism. I expect that come next week, if they aren't cannibals, a lot of people are just gonna shrug (I am, certainly). And if they are, one or two people are going to throw little fits and complain how stupid this show "has become" and they're never gonna watch it again. But we'll see.

Tin Miss posted:

I started watching the show mid Season 3 so I missed the whole beginning and only had goon reactions to go on. I figured the Andrew setting off the alarms thing must have been somewhat ambiguous for so many people to be confused by it.

Then I watched it and no, it was actually incredibly easy to figure out.

I mean did people watching go "Hey, who was that completely random guy hiding out in the room where the alarms are and why did he attack Rick for no reason?"
I kinda wish I was watching the show back then, because that sounds pretty funny-stupid, I probably would've gotten a little laugh out of it. But for me, I don't think anything will ever beat the "Mike's Voice" thing from the Breaking Bad threads.

Grin and Tonic posted:

Yeah leader of the bandit gang is weird mesmerizing.
Dude must be a great character-actor, because I know I've seen him, and liked him, a million times, but I can't peg him to any particular role without looking it up.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

rypakal posted:

They have? Please elaborate?
I don't know that it's definitely going to happen or if we're actually going to see it, but they're referring to the trio's destination, Washington DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Vancouver is one of the prettiest cities in the world and is sort of made for film locations so yeah, I can see that.

Seriously go to Vancouver sometime it's a great place.
Can we stay at your house?

• Locked thread