Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If I don't see Doctor Strange, it's not the Defenders :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

StumblyWumbly posted:

The whole thing behind season 1 is a conspiracy to build an earthquake machine to kill the poor.

The greatest thing about that is it succeeds. Amazingly the super smart insane rich guy had a back up for his earthquake machine in case things went wrong, the heroes don't stop him, and hundreds of poor people die. It's a ballsy show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Opopanax posted:

No no, I mean the other other other one, Marh Vehl's daughter from GotG

She took over for Quasar, but that is a distinct character with his own story. And she was Quasar for nine seconds. Like she was Captain Marvel for nine seconds. And was Martyr for nine seconds. RIP you crazy woman, you died never finding your place in your world.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah I mean I really don't see how you do Jessica Jones and not touch on Purple Man. That's a pretty major part of Alias, and I don't see *why* you'd do Jessica Jones without drawing on Alias.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

This is your monthly reminder that Manu Bennett went to college to study dance and drama. Clearly, it paid off :smug:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Starling is Vancouver. No winter.

It's actually either Boston or San Francisco, depending on what era you want to land on. So increased chance of winter!

e: Although they might have settled on "Seattle" at this point.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 8, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I guess it just hasn't been revealed yet, but Wells pretending to be paralysed doesn't really make any sense.

When the bodies start dropping it's good to be the guy known for not being able to walk.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Heathen posted:

Season 3 Arrow wishes it was Agents of Shield.

Nah, Arrow had a boxing glove arrow this season, it is probably going to end up more endearingly entertaining than whatever AoS puts out this year. Which isn't to say that AoS hasn't had a much better 2nd year, it's just that a man shot another man in the face with a boxing glove arrow on tv and that is a thing we have thanks to Arrow.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Reader isn't eyeless, he had his eyes ripped out. His power is he can make anything he reads real. They thought he was too powerful, so out came the eyes [Of course his power isn't anything he sees, it's anything he reads, so now he just uses braille]. This guy is something else.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He was in more than half the episodes that had aired at the time of his death. Like ok, he was clearly a secondary character but....drat son, what the gently caress were you looking for?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
His therapist and future wife.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Or he goes around making people think he isn't purple because he has mind control powers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair nothing carried Heroes through it's later seasons, it just went so high early on that it took awhile for it to crash land again. The 4400 was legitimately good though, and skipped right to "People with powers and the world knows about it" pretty drat quick, for which it deserves all the credit in the world.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Frasier would be Banner. People forget that how much truly deranged poo poo he got up to on Cheers, and to a lesser extent Frasier. It's all intellectual snobbery and fine wine until he wakes up naked and covered in dirt somewhere.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair it does sort of cover that bit. In short, Christian becomes Green Lantern.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

wyntyr posted:

Edit: pretty sure this Ghost Rider is so named because the ghost rides in the host. It'd be a stupid explanation and as much as I love this show, it seems like where they'd go with it

That is literally what is going on with Robbie Reyes in the comics. He's killed in a shooting, and comes back to life a ghost bonded to him. The other Ghost Riders have an angel of vengeance bonded to them in comparison. In a very real sense, Robbie is the only one whose name actually makes a bit of sense.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Latino Iron Fist could still be white!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

the future is WOW posted:

It's pretty bad; I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

It's continued success means that Kristin Kreuk had a better post Smallville career than Tom Welling, so that's a bonus.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
That's like 49 episodes more than it needed.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Honestly if they wanted to do it right it needed to be in production basically immediately after Daredevil season 1 to give it the time to do the fight production it really needed. You can get away with half-assing that poo poo with something like Luke Cage, because he doesn't really fight that much. He just crushes dudes effortlessly most of the time. Danny is all about the martial arts, so if the fights don't pop you are wasting everyone's time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

As someone who has never read an Iron Fist book, does he really not have any iconic story lines to be adapted?

The Immortal Weapons would be a completely loving ridiculous storyline to adapt, but it would take like 3 times the budget they have to work with and you'd need people that can actually fight and act to sell it. And it's not something you can really do as the first story. If you aren't invested in K'un Lun before the other Seven Capital Cities of Heaven are introduced, who cares? You can't just jump straight to "Hi this is Danny, and this is the Prince of Orphans, and this is Fat Cobra, and the Tiger's Beautiful Daughter" and so forth. One of the characters is also the previous Iron Fist's daughter, and you probably don't want to introduce that guy too quick because he's basically Danny but a pulp 30s action hero that figured out how to use his magic glowing kung fu powers on guns. Which is sort of an amusing way to counter the "White guy masters kung fu better than the Asians can" thing, insomuch as he's not even as good as the last white guy to do it.

So yeah, it's tricky to get to the good bits of Iron Fist, and it's impossible if the main character isn't a badass that is constantly kung fu'ing the poo poo out of things.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING

Are you expressing your feelings on watching Smallville, or are you quoting practically every character from Smallville?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'm going to say Finn was their first tremendous gently caress up in casting. He's just not the guy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

theironjef posted:

That's her power? I thought she was pyrokinetic and had multiple personalities. Also that she was a mutant.

She is telekinetic, pyrokinetic, and can plant mental suggestions in people's heads.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Ollie is Broods McKillface as far as she knows, and Kara is the living personification of a hug. They are not compatible romantically.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

So thinking about Inhumans being officially canceled, could it have been a good show? Like just could there have been a decent Inhumans show? Maybe if they had been willing to spend money, and not have a talent-less hack as show runner and have the most cliched characters and plots.

You basically just do what they did with the comics new push. A bunch of their crystal poo poo gets into the eco-system and a whole crop of new Inhumans come out of nowhere. You counter their entirely normal and modern world views with a bunch of royalist assholes as the antagonists. Instead of, you know, following the royalist assholes who have godlike power that requires a loving ridiculous budget to do well.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

2) There's this looming..."pallor?" over everything that's happening on this show, which is that we know for a fact that no matter what these characters do...no matter how much they improve their horrific class system or fight back against Brainiac or Black Zero or anything else...this entire planet's still gonna blow up and all you guys are gonna die screaming in roughly a lifetime. Well, maybe not you guys specifically, but definitely your kids and grandkids. Good luck with that! :buddy:

Well I mean little Kandor was always a thing. Hundreds of thousands of them will survive the explosion. It's not great, but it's not nothing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Davros1 posted:

There's nothing at stake in the DCEU movies either

Some executive's million dollar bonus.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Specifically, I don't really like how the narrative keeps on making it seem as if Batman is the one who stoked all of Dick's rage and darkness issues.

I find it hilarious that Dick comes off as so unstable that Jason Todd is the more reasonable alternative.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Those of you who've read the comics, how close is it?

The answer is sooooooooooort of but not really? There are a lot of the same big ideas, and the basic outline of the characters, but they mix a lot of the first two trades together in a blender and add a lot of their own poo poo. So the main thrust of this season is the first trade, the Apocalypse Suite, but most of the time travel stuff is from the second, Dallas. They are two distinct stories, so the fact you are mixing them in the first place gives you something very different to start with. There's also entirely new characters added that wildly change the motivation of some people, and the ending is of course profoundly different. Hell, some people have different powers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
That spoiled section is probably the weakest change from the comics, as that character doesn't exist in the comics.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean it is almost guaranteed that this will be the Marvel TV explanation going forward. And Marvel Studios will gladly accept it since they have a clear out when people bring up the shows crossing over with the movies now.

The shows did cross over with the movies, in the only way that matters.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I can't think of anything that squandered more good will than the Netflix shows. People were so jazzed for the first seasons of...well MOST of them, but straight downhill from there.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah I get what they're saying. But I'm almost certain the answer to that question would have been 'gently caress yes'

Well I mean the shows went to poo poo basically instantly, so I think history has vindicated their decision making process.

I will always love that loving James D'Arcy is the only one to make the leap from tv to movies. Good on him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
So it's completely different from the comic?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Ok, now I might check it out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

donal logue burned down black churches in the south, hosed up but true

Hey, Logue is Canadian. At least McDonough and Walburg are both flavors of Dorchester gutter trash. I guess they all look alike to some people.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Other than being born in Ottawa I can't find anything about Logue being particularly Canadian. Seems to have spent most of his childhood in Boston...

He's really from all over. Canada, Boston, the Southwest, California. But he holds Canadian citizenship, so I will default to calling that.

Unless he's currently done something cool, then I will say he's from Boston.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Tron was great.

As an arcade game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Why does Tiny Clark have a 5 o'clock shadow? Other than 'actors are bad at doing their own makeup'?

Tyler Hoechlin is genetically incapable of being clean shaven.