Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Nf3 posted:

I didn't know fan service was a genre. http://www.funimation.com/shows/space-dandy/anime

So you're new to anime, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh god, I think one of those ramen bowls had Pen Pen in it! :gonk:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Neeksy posted:

I'm amazed how many foreign animators they have working on this.

Welcome to the 21st century, Space Cowboy.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Reinanigans posted:

Is Kill La Kill as bad as y'all are making it out to be, or should I give it a chance? It's got a lot of Gurren Lagann people involved, right?

You should at least give it the standard 3-episode test. I can't recommend it enough, it's an amazing show.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I cracked up at the blurring when the boob monster showed up. I also got flashbacks to Attack on Titan when Meow bites it. It's bad enough that he's sitting in the belly of what is now a tiny monster, but now he has to sit in there with a few metric tons of spoiled food.

I'm beginning to suspect that the thing with the Gogol Empire is just going to be a running joke that is never going to get any serious attention or really become a part of the plot.

darkgray posted:

Er, maybe it's time you sat down and watched literally the best anime ever?

You want him to watch Cardcaptor Sakura?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

The Glumslinger posted:

I think I liked last weeks episode better, but man did I laugh hard when he turned into a mech

Oh god, the mech. I can't believe we haven't really talked about the mech yet. Even when he's piloting a robot, Dandy's an awful shot.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Zorak posted:

So uh, this episode of Space Dandy was probably the best zombie-related thing made in years. Jesus Christ that second half made me laugh til it hurt.

No kidding. We're probably never going to see another use of zombies this good for another few years. The term "putting a cap in their benefits" alone was absolutely brilliant.

The only complaint I can make is that we never got to see Admiral Perry as a zombie.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The last episode is going to be just like the ending of Bioshock Infinite, with Meow playing the role of Elizabeth.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I was wondering how this show would handle the transition from a dark zombie comedy to a more sentimental episode.

Turns out it handled it just fine.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This episode reminded me of Redline, in that the space racing was a metaphor for passionate sex.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Lots of Dandy fanservice in this episode. Dandservice.

Also, Dandy still has a tiny alien corpse stuck in his hair. :gonk:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

wielder posted:

Perhaps I was expecting too much coming in, but this week wasn't really my cup of tea.

It did seem to end quicker than the previous episodes.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
drat, this episode really hit close to home for me, in a good way. Out of all of the characters in this show, I never thought I'd end up relating to the goofy cat pervert, but there you go.

Also, I really loved how Japanese this episode was.

Cronodoculous posted:

That next episode preview sounds totally awesome.

Scarlet's coming back! :dance:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This episode was a nice contrast to the earlier episode on the plant world. That one was a psychedelic kaleidoscope, this one was a visual treat of muted colors and greys.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

The subtle little smile on his face is adorable and hilarious.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If this took place in the outer space version of Detroit, does that make the giant robot a metaphor for Reaganomics? The plan for it was formulated by a dimwitted, hateful cowboy, after all.

Bailing that, I got a 'Robot Carnival' vibe from that giant robot.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I say we forget about our Dandy and spend the rest of the series following the adventures of Triangle Dandy.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

GorfZaplen posted:

Oh my god Sad Dandy :allears:

Watching that scene again, it's really amazing how Emo Dandy completely sucks the air out of the room and compels everyone to fix the situation they're in just to get away from him and his hideous crewmates.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mr. Fowl posted:

I just want to know what the genius grey kid dandy was a reference to. It seemed strangely specific and yet familiar.

I got kind of a 'Soul Eater' vibe from him.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Man, I didn't know what to expect going into this episode, and I got blindsided by it in the best way.

Has anyone else pointed out that the jocks looked like the Ambiguously Gay Duo?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This episode should have been titled Barakamon In Space.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
God drat it, this show just keeps topping itself. I can't think of any show, anime or otherwise, that would handle a character like Honey as well as this episode did. Her bloodline certainly explains why she's such a drat good Boobies waitress.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Wow just when I think, "Yeah space dandy reached it's peak" Dandy Honey proves me wrong.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I really love how Honey wasn't even trying to be subtle this episode. :j:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Spectacle Rock posted:

Someone please post what they think the last minute of the show meant. Did Dandy decide to stay dead and remain with the planet?

I think it meant that, after Dandy lived his life and really died, he returned to the planet that loved him. The friends he had made there waited patiently for him, and he happily came back to them when it was truly his time.

This was a hauntingly beautiful episode. To me, it was like a beautiful combination of Twin Peaks and a Jodorowsky movie.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh my god.

Hammer pants.

Dance Ghidora.

Sperm Meow.

There really isn't any other show that does what Space Dandy does, and what it does is amazing!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I've lost count of how many times I've connected with a woman through our mutual love of Karate Kommandos.

This was a really cute episode, a charming little change of pace from the last couple.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It looks like this episode was mostly a setup for the next, final episode. Still, I really liked the design of the courtroom. Very stark.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Adios, Dandy.

Way to out-Gurren Lagann Gurren Lagann.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

NOTinuyasha posted:

フェリー (Ferry?) is what I wanted the most, though it loses something outside it's scene in the episode. Also:

I see Powerslave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I liked it better than the musical episode

To this day I haven't actually sat through any of the songs

This is the most scandalous thing I've ever seen written on the entirety of the SA forums. :colbert:

• Locked thread